Start by marking “Max Speed” as Want to Read:
Max Speed

Max Speed

Max, a tiny speed racer, is off on the adventure of a lifetime in this adorable new picture book that proves all you need for a big adventure is a little imagination.

As soon as Max has finished cleaning his room, he’s off racing his super-secret car at incredible speeds, soaring over rivers of lava, sky diving, and swimming with sharks. This picture book is perfect for eve
Published October 11th 2016 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Max Speed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Max Speed

Start your review of Max Speed
Jon Nakapalau
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This superhero can find his way out of all sorts 'dangerous' situations...until the great MOM challenges him!
Catherine
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: preschool
After the first read I wasn't sold on this book, but being a grown up reading to my kids I wasn't paying full attention to the pictures. My kids asked me to read it again and again.

Max cleans up his room and what he has put away are the ingredients for an imaginative adventure that unfolds in the following pages.

My active 2 year old stopped what he was doing to watch Max's adventure unfold. My 4 year old enjoyed the story as well.
Gretchen
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
My kid LOVES this book. Great read-aloud, funny and frenetically zooming like kids' imaginations can be. I love the bold colors done in block print, in swift, charming designs that move you along to Max's next challenge. Great Gadzooks! This is a fun one!
Edward Sullivan
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
An action-packed story about a little boy with a super-sized imagination.
Becca
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The boys are going to love this. Good for using prediction skills--how will he get out of this?
Viviane Elbee
This book is so cute. It's perfect for toddlers and preschoolers. The active, imaginative boy runs into hot lava, shark infested waters and more!
Kris
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Colorful, bright illustrations and fun, interesting text with repetition and clues. Great read-aloud for my 5-year old son, and I'm betting other kids around that age will get a kick out of it, too.
Keri Douglas
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Max is a kid I want to be! His imagination is spectacular. If you're reading this aloud, you better be in character. I know my kinders will love this as much as I did. After reading, I remembered the illustration at the beginning of Max's clean room and recognized the toys that correlate to his adventures. See if your kids will find it too. Super fun read that requires a super fun voice when read aloud.
Krissy Neddo
Some rate it as additional purchase for imagination fun, but I know my primary teachers will love this one for some imaginative predicting lessons!! Bold, bright and colorful! Perfect for ages 4-6! They will love to chime in with the repetitive "Great Gadzooks!" just like they do for Pete the Cat's "Goodness, no!"
Kate Hastings
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: imagine
Grades K-2. Max's room is clean for about two seconds-- until he's off on an adventure battling volcanoes, sharks and a secret cave. Each time he wonder's if he's met his match. And in the end, he does. Has a black main character that is not the focus of the story but good for parents/teachers looking for incidental diversity.
Vicki
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
The picture on the cover of this book is too cute! The book reminds me somewhat of the book "Fortunately" by Remy Charlip and at the end the movie "ET"-phone home. Repetitive phrases and fun vocabulary.
Kathy
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great gadzooks! Max is adventuring with his race car, lava, sharks, jet pack and more after cleaning his room: will he meet his match? A great toddler book with a clunk! A sputter! And a supersonic pop!
Jennybeast
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Whoa, super spy kid has super adventures, but they are simple enough for even the littlest ones. I hear it's a great storytime book, and I'm looking forward to trying it out. Again, with the good diversity, too! Hooray!
Angela
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Much love for Max Speed!

Dramatic reading required. Not for mumblers, pacifists, deadpans or monotone readers. Read it aloud to the little ones and take off on an adventure with Max.
Nina
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Max Speed is unstoppable in this action-packed, shark-infested adventure.
Great Gadzooks, I love this book!
Ann
A wonderful, interactive book. I read this story to an active Headstart group of fifteen to twenty 4-5 year olds. You could have heard a pin drop in the room. They were completely mesmerized.
Elisabeth
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really fun for a "things that go" or "imagination" storytime theme
Tracie
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Max finished cleaning his room just in time for crazy adventures. Will Max meet his match?
Lisa
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Max cleaned up his room, so now he can have an adventure! He climbs into his super-secret car and zooms away, only to get caught at a lava flow - good thing he has his super-secret jetpack. Max can get himself out of every bind, because his imagination provides the perfect thing every time.

I loved the paths the reader can follow for everywhere Max goes, and we get to anticipate his rescue every time the text asks “has Max met his match?” Well . . .

Cross posted to http://kissthebook.blogspot.co
Juliana Lee
Max has super-secret powers. Every time he runs across a new obstacle, 'Gadzooks!' he uses a new super-secret power to escape. But when he finally returns home, he finds his mother. Has Max finally met his match?
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Review cross-posted from reviewer’s personal Goodreads account

Shaskan, Stephen Max Speed PICTURE BOOK. Simon and Schuster, 2016. $17.99. Content: G.

I loved the paths the reader can follow for everywhere Max
Katy
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
This could be very fun for kids, but didn't appeal to me enough to use for storytime.
Goshen PL Childrens
Read at Storytime on February 7th
Theme: Sharks and animals with a bite
Cary Thomson
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adventure, speed and hanging out with Mum at the end of it all. Love it.
Dionne
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My son loves these "Max" series books!
Miss Sarah
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it
A cute toddler and up book about max and his adventures around danger. Will he ever meet his match?
Amy Lafleur Meyers
A little boy goes on an adventure with many challenges, not limited to a river of hot lava, faulty jet pack, and shark-infested waters! One of my favorite points in the story is when Max speaks his "super-secret shark language" to save the day when he encounters sharks. That part was hilarious. Colorfully illustrated and fun read aloud for kids who like stories with lots of action and humor.
Sheri
Dec 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Imaginative adventure theme to read to children.
Caroline
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Max gets in all kinds of scrapes but always manages to get out of them unscathed.

• We Found A Hat