Start by marking “Crushing It” as Want to Read:
Crushing It

Crushing It

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  57 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Twelve-year-old Kat woos the boy next door on behalf of her best friend, and in the process realizes that true beauty—and true confidence—comes from the inside in this hilarious M!X novel from the author of Small Medium at Large.

Kat is already so over seventh grade. It doesn’t help that her best friend and cousin, Olivia, grew a foot over the summer and won a spot on the s
Published January 10th 2017 by Aladdin

To ask other readers questions about Crushing It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crushing It

Jennifer Nielsen
Joanne Levy's writing always puts a smile on my face, and CRUSHING IT is some of her best writing to date. This is the kind of book to pick up on a day when you just want something fun to read, when you want to remember what it was like during those awkward years, or when you want to smile. I can't wait to see what Levy writes next.
Joanne
May 27, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Well, technically I haven't read it since I'm still writing it, but that wasn't an option. :)

Christina (A Reader of Fictions)

Crushing It takes Cyrano de Bergerac to the middle grade set. Levy cleverly retells the tale, and it’s pretty dang cute.

In case you can’t tell from this here blog, I read a lot. One result of that is that I’ve read a whole lot of variations of Cyrano, so for me this wasn’t the most original tale, and it’s not my favorite ship set up either. That said, I’m impressed with what Levy did with it.

The tale actually lends itself much better to the middle school age than to adults imo. Setting
Brandy Painter
This is a fun, lighthearted romantic MG read. Yes. Romantic. MG readers often want those too and this is perfect for the age range. It is a retelling of Cyrano de Bergerac, which the audience isn't going to know or care about, but I think it makes sense to retell this story in the context of middle school. Any one older should know better. My one big complaint with the book was how flat a character Olivia is. She is built on stereotypes and never goes much deeper than that. I really loved the dy ...more
Ms. Yingling
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
E ARC from Edelweiss Above the Treeline

Kat has a cousin and best friend, Olivia, who has gotten tall and pretty in middle school. In comparison, Kat feels like a "warthog" with her glasses and braces, so when Olivia decides she "like likes" Kat's long time friend and neighbor, Tyler, Kat agrees to help fix the two up. This is difficult, since Olivia doesn't care about any of Tyler's interests (books, video games)-- she just thinks he's cute. Kat tries to tell Olivia all of Tyler's favorites, thr
Jen Petro-Roy
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, ebook, arc, middle-grade
Super adorable. A fantastic middle grade voice.
Nancy
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The end of the book moved me the most, that Tyler didn't care how she looked. What really matters to him was their common interests and how they could understand each others choices.
Not many people can look past the looks(not even me). Kat is lucky to know someone who cares about the mind of people than the appearences as Tyler is.
And the process of Kat helping Olivia with her crush showed that she was brave enough to hold back her feelings for someone she really cared about. The problem of many
Cee
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canlit-2017
Crushing It is a Cyrano de Bergerac inspired modern day novel about Kat who is asked by her cousin Olivia to help get Tyler to ask her to the Fall Ball. Problem is, Tyler is her next door neighbour, her best friend and has absolutely nothing in common with Olivia. The storyline is fairly predictable but entertaining in the way that Kat goes about trying to hook up her two best friends while at the same time ignoring her own feelings. Kids will enjoy the contemporary language with texts and note- ...more
Stacey Raymond
This is a feel good juvenile story. It was a plot that has been done over and over, but it was still ok. Nothing special, but I would say I liked it. It is probably more of a 2.5, but I'll give it 3 stars.
Melissa McGuire
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Im well aware this book was for a younger audience and I usually love these kind of books. But throughout the book Olivia infuriated me. I was all about her and she didn't care about anyone else.
Jdboerding
Good book for the Middle School age range.
Christina Boulard
Such a fun little book! A great way to help kids understand that they're amazing just the way they are. ❤ ...more
Karen
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun and funny middle-school version of Cyrano de Bergerac.
Stephanie Faris
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Crushing It, we meet a 12-year-old girl dealing with new feelings about her male neighbor. Kat and Tyler have been friends for their entire lives, yet over the summer Tyler blossomed into a hottie. Her BFF has also undergone a summertime transformation and, worst of all, her BFF now has a crush on him. The story follows the basic Cyrano de Bergerac theme, but the fact that Kat has had existing relationships with the couple she's helping makes it even more complex. Anyone who has ever felt "le ...more
Barbra
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the books in The Aladdin Mix series. They are mature reads without the worry. Look for the colorful stripes down the outer edge of the paperback. The characters are best friends unique in every way, facing the world of school, dating, and social media. This book is about Kat helping her best cousin get together with the boy she really wants to be with. These novels are perfect for reluctant readers, and will appeal to girls ages’ nine to fourteen.
Kate Blair
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charming, witty and bubbling with fun. Love Levy's humour, which drives this wonderful middle-school take on Cyrano de Bergerac
Micki
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade, arc
A sweet, fun read. I loved Kat's voice and watching her sort things out for herself.
Jenn
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick, fun read. Passes it on to my 7th grade daughter. Clean and appropriate for her age.
Brooklynn
May 29, 2017
Annie
Mar 12, 2016
Michelle
rated it did not like it
Oct 09, 2017
Mar 04, 2017
Jan 27, 2018
EGGS
Dec 21, 2017
Joanne Levy’s love of books began at a very early age. Being the youngest and the only female among four children, and the daughter to voracious readers, she was often left to her own devices and could frequently be found sitting in a quiet corner with her nose in a book.

A survivor of the corporate world, Joanne now works from home, supporting other authors and creating the friends she wishes she