Start by marking “The Lost Property Office (Section 13, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lost Property Office (Section 13, #1)

The Lost Property Office

(Section 13 #1)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  835 Ratings  ·  211 Reviews
James R. Hannibal presents a thrilling adventure through history, complete with mysteries, secret items, codes, and a touch of magic in this stunning middle grade debut.
Thirteen-year-old Jack Buckles is great at finding things. Not just a missing glove or the other sock, but things normal people have long given up on ever seeing again. If only he could find his father, wh
Published November 8th 2016 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Property Office, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
James Hannibal You are correct. He goes by Jack to prevent confusion with his dad's name. Thanks for the question!

Marta Álvarez
Mmmm... creo que tiene una buena premisa, pero no ha sabido explotarla. De tanto ritmo que le ha querido dar, era imposible estar al tanto de todo lo que pasaba: peligro de muerte-explicación-peligro de muerte-charla random sobre el pasado de Londres-peligro de muerte-más charla.

PRO:
Buena ambientación, construcción de un mundo "secreto" interesante.

CONTRAS:
Deus ex machina. Literal. Siempre hay a mano algún artefacto del que curiosamente no sabíamos nada hasta el momento, pero que hace justo lo q
BooksTwins
RESEÑA EN EL BLOG: https://bookstwins.wordpress.com/2018...
A pesar de ser un libro dedicado a más pequeños lo disfruté un montón.
Me costó algo al principio entenderlo pero es también porque no le di mucho bola a la sinopsis y empecé casi sin nada a lo que agarrarme.
Pop Bop
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Requires A Bit of Effort, But the Rewards Are Great and Many

This is a fascinating and rewarding book for the patient and careful reader, and a pretty thrilling action/adventure read for any reader. Allow me to explain.

I know it's awfully cheesy and lazy to compare a book to "Harry Potter", but that's actually helpful here. (MAJOR, BUT GENERAL, PREMISE SPOILERS.) We have a hero, John Buckles, who is special in a hidden world of which he is unaware. We have a search for a thingamabop of great powe
Ana Duque
Muy imaginativa. Una novela juvenil de fantasía con un sistema de magia muy chulo. Recomendable. Algún fallito de construcción de trama.
Juan Manuel Sarmiento
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
El gabinete de los objetos perdidos es una lectura ágil, entretenida y creativa. Llena de historia, suspense, misterio, amistad y hasta un poco de magia, este inicio de trilogía tiene un final que te picará la curiosidad para leer la continuación.
Reseña completa en THE BEST READ YET BLOG
Rashika (is tired)
***This review has also been posted on Xpresso Reads

This wasn’t the best MG I’ve read ever but it is a whole lot of fun and a quick read. Kid me would have gobbled this up and had so much fun with the mystery element. This book features, secret societies, alternate histories unknown to the rest of the population, and MAGIC (kind of… it is really just fancy science things.) So basically, this book is brain candy in a pretty package (except for that bug on the cover, but don’t mind the bug.) My b
Dave Bensette
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
HIGHLY recommended!!
Muffinsandbooks
Un roman jeunesse très sympa et surtout très original !
Laurapassage
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
[http://laura-passage.com/section-13-t...]

Jack et le bureau secret est un très bon premier tome pour la série Section 13, mêlants à la perfection fantastique, aventure et histoire. James R. Hannibal sait instaurer une action et une tension constantes, gardant des mystères jusqu’aux dernières pages qui invitent à découvrir avec plaisir la suite très prochainement.
The Captain
Dec 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandon-ship
Sadly me mateys, it is time to abandon ship!

Ye see, I got this one from a local library which of course has deadlines. Despite the short length and the adequate time before the return date, I read a little over half of the novel before the book was due. Now normally that would make me one grumpy Captain. I just shrugged and put the book on hold again. Should have been a sign. Then I got the novel a second time and started readin’ again only to bail out.

This book started out strong. The story con
Zoe's Human
Mar 30, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's a great concept and well-written, but it lacks in an area that it critical for me - character. Not only are the characters one-dimensional, but they are also unlikeable. Well that's not quite accurate. Jack, I have nothing more than the greatest indifference towards. Gwen, I actively dislike. Her dialog is far too expositional as well.

I tried to finish this. I really did. As I said, the concept is great. I just couldn't do it though. I made it as far as page 220, and I just can't force myse
Liz Hopps (Elizabetha)
En realidad es un 3.5, pero que tiende más al 4 que al 3.

Tiene varios fallos, pero la lectura es amena y ágil, está muy bien escrito, la historia es atrayente e intrigante y sobre todo, la construcción del mundo de los rastreadores es total y completamente notable. Si el autor evoluciona favorablemente, está podría ser una gran saga del tipo de las de Harry Potter (por la riqueza del mundo que ha creado). Gracias a Dios carece de las bromas un poco sosas de personajes de la misma edad como Perc
Glenajo
Loved this! The story includes a good kid with a complete family which is unusual in today youth novels. The premise is a young kid that is trying to take care of his younger sister when his world goes crazy. The story is contains lots of highly descriptive details and lots of historical references. I think it will appeal to readers of Rick Riordan and J.K. Rowling, not because it has gods or witches, but because of the well built fantastical world.
Claudette
Dec 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
Yet another book where the characters not talking with each other is supposed to pass for a plot. Also, 'freckle bounce'? Seriously?
Shine
May 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mira que lo he intentado... ¡pero no he podido acabarlo! :/
Pronto reseña.
Cande
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ay, no sé qué pensar. Me gustó pero me costó un montón leerlo, tiene mil errores ortográficos y sentí que la historia siempre fue una introducción, nunca llegue a la parte de acción o algo que me sorprendiera.
April
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
13 year old American Jack Buckle is in England with his mom and his younger sister Sadie, trying to find his missing father. When his sister dashes off after a man she thinks must be her father, Jack ends up swept up into the Lost Property Office and a whirlwind adventure. "You're a Tracker, Jack!" Our hero is a reluctant but powerful "13"; the 13th Buckle. The unlucky generation. A tracker with the ability to "spark" or read the past, basically, by touching objects. Jack teams up together with ...more
Amy Layton
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, ya-fiction
I'm so glad I picked up this book at the library.  Fantasy isn't usually my first choice, but every now and then I have to break free from my chains.  I'm so happy I did it with this book.  This book was fast-paced, action-packed, and filled with great characters.

Also, modern fantasy?  I know I don't spend a whole lot of time in the fantasy genre, but it's been a long time since I've seen something that isn't in the middle ages or its equivalent.  There's mysterious artifacts, awesome powers, an
Beth
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jack is...different. He can find things, lost things. But when his sister goes missing in London, and Jack goes to find her, he finds himself on the adventure of a lifetime instead. From flying clockwork beetles, to history and impossible legends made possible - all thanks to the family history he never knew he had. And when Jack finds out that his recently deceased dad might not be so deceased after all, well...Jack is determined to find him, too.

The Lost Property Office is a little bit fantasy
Rebekah
I really liked the cover to this one, and I picked it up for that reason alone. The jacket blurb and author bio then piqued my interest sufficiently to read the novel.

The main character, Jack, has synesthesia, a legitimate neurological condition that causes crossover in the senses. Tastes are perceived as colors, and smells as feelings, etc. In Jack’s case it leads to sensory overload, which he must learn to control if he is to find his missing father.

When he stumbles upon the Lost Property Offi
Heidi
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book and look forward to the second in the series. 9-12 year old me would have ranked this right up there with Inspector Gadget, and this would have added to my imaginary play where my notebook was really a hidden computer. I borrowed the book, but I'm feeling like I need to get my own copy. First, the cover art is fantastic, and then the story is just a wonderful adventure. This made me think of "The Billionaire's Curse" and is a great young reader adventure/intrigue story. There ar ...more
Bea (Libroteca el Gato de Cheshire)
Hoy os traigo la reseña de un libro que llama la atención desde las estanterías. La cubierta y la contra son negras con detalles dorados tirando a bronce. En ella aparece un escarabajo azul que tendrá su protagonismo en la novela y lo más chulo son las guardas: el mapa de Londres con los monumentos más característicos sin olvidarnos del Gabinete de los Objetos Perdidos.

Pero como siempre os decimos, a los libros no hay que juzgarles por sus apariencias, o al menos no sólo por ellas ;).

Todo comie
Andrea Wright
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic first book to a new series! Steampunk and Sherlock lovers will wait impatiently with me for the next book to be published.
Patty
Nov 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
** 3.5 stars **

Definitely an enjoyable read!
Linette
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-books
James R Hannibal has created a new genre. The science fiction,fantasy, historic, detective genre. No you don't need synesthesia to understand it.

Brilliant. I couldn't put it down.
Michael Fitzgerald
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
I had high hopes for this one, but it turned out to be just one more in the unending succession of generic fantasy/adventure books. The potential appeal was the historical angle - the 1666 Great Fire of London is of major importance. There is some attempt to connect up literary and historical figures, particularly Sherlock Holmes (although he himself is never called by name, we do meet Mrs. Hudson, we travel to Baker Street, and a man named Doyle is mentioned).

As with many books of this genre,
Emily
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Lost Property Office by James R. Hannibal
****3.8****

The Lost Property Office (LPO) is a fun book by James R. Hannibal. This is also my first book by Mr. Hannibal and I will likely read more.

LPO reminds me a bit of The DaVinci Code in so far as the main characters spend the majority of the book running around London, following one clue to get to the next. Hannibal has thrown in a bit of Fantasy to make it all original though.

Jack, unbeknownst to himself is a tracker. Trackers have a kind of
Roshan
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very absurd characters. 13 year old children do not just go on doing silly stunts without protest especially when they know it's silly. Gwen, the female protagonist was a selfish brat and Jack, the main character was a pushover. The 8 year old 'little sis' behaves as if she never heard a word of advice on how to be careful in a new country, ever, from her parents!! Is this supposed to be a children's book??
Angela Vahle
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
I wanted to love this book, but it really dig drag on and on for me. I kept getting lost in the action/ever-changing setting. The concept was amazing but the characters were weak and hard for me to like. When I think about my dry experience reading this book as an adult, I can’t think of too many of my students that would not abandon early into it...
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Fun adventure for kids. Planning on reading this to my daughter, who is a huge Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings fan.
  • The Inquisitor's Tale: Or, the Three Magical Children and Their Holy Dog
  • The Peculiar Haunting of Thelma Bee
  • The Gallery
  • Pip Bartlett's Guide to Unicorn Training (Pip Bartlett, #2)
  • Pilfer Academy: A School So Bad It's Criminal
  • Foxheart (Foxheart, #1)
  • Firefly Hollow
  • A Clatter of Jars
  • When Friendship Followed Me Home
  • Journey's End
  • The Crooked Sixpence (The Uncommoners #1)
  • The Secret Horses of Briar Hill
  • The Charmed Children of Rookskill Castle
  • The Best Man
  • The Girl Who Drank the Moon
  • Impyrium
  • Foundling Witch (Diary of Anna the Girl Witch, #1)
  • The Wrong Side of Magic
James R. Hannibal is the author of the award-winning Section 13 Mystery/fantasy series from Simon and Schuster Young Readers and the Thriller Award nominated Nick Baron series from Berkley Books. As a former stealth bomber pilot and drone pilot James is no stranger to action or secrets. He has been shot at, locked up by a surface to air missile system, and aided the capture of High Value Targets.

Section 13 (2 books)
  • The Fourth Ruby (Section 13, #2)