Start by marking “The Lost Property Office (Section 13, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lost Property Office (Section 13, #1)

The Lost Property Office

(Section 13 #1)

James R. Hannibal presents a thrilling adventure through history, complete with mysteries, secret items, codes, and a touch of magic in this stunning middle grade debut.
Thirteen-year-old Jack Buckles is great at finding things. Not just a missing glove or the other sock, but things normal people have long given up on ever seeing again. If only he could find his father, wh
Published November 8th 2016 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Property Office, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
James Hannibal You are correct. He goes by Jack to prevent confusion with his dad's name. Thanks for the question!

Start your review of The Lost Property Office (Section 13, #1)
Pop Bop
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Requires A Bit of Effort, But the Rewards Are Great and Many

This is a fascinating and rewarding book for the patient and careful reader, and a pretty thrilling action/adventure read for any reader. Allow me to explain.

I know it's awfully cheesy and lazy to compare a book to "Harry Potter", but that's actually helpful here. (MAJOR, BUT GENERAL, PREMISE SPOILERS.) We have a hero, John Buckles, who is special in a hidden world of which he is unaware. We have a search for a thingamabop of great powe
Rashika (is tired)
***This review has also been posted on Xpresso Reads

This wasn’t the best MG I’ve read ever but it is a whole lot of fun and a quick read. Kid me would have gobbled this up and had so much fun with the mystery element. This book features, secret societies, alternate histories unknown to the rest of the population, and MAGIC (kind of… it is really just fancy science things.) So basically, this book is brain candy in a pretty package (except for that bug on the cover, but don’t mind the bug.) My b
The Captain
Dec 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandon-ship
Sadly me mateys, it is time to abandon ship!

Ye see, I got this one from a local library which of course has deadlines. Despite the short length and the adequate time before the return date, I read a little over half of the novel before the book was due. Now normally that would make me one grumpy Captain. I just shrugged and put the book on hold again. Should have been a sign. Then I got the novel a second time and started readin’ again only to bail out.

This book started out strong. The story con
April
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
13 year old American Jack Buckle is in England with his mom and his younger sister Sadie, trying to find his missing father. When his sister dashes off after a man she thinks must be her father, Jack ends up swept up into the Lost Property Office and a whirlwind adventure. "You're a Tracker, Jack!" Our hero is a reluctant but powerful "13"; the 13th Buckle. The unlucky generation. A tracker with the ability to "spark" or read the past, basically, by touching objects. Jack teams up together with ...more
Glenajo
Loved this! The story includes a good kid with a complete family which is unusual in today youth novels. The premise is a young kid that is trying to take care of his younger sister when his world goes crazy. The story is contains lots of highly descriptive details and lots of historical references. I think it will appeal to readers of Rick Riordan and J.K. Rowling, not because it has gods or witches, but because of the well built fantastical world.
Amy Layton
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fiction, fantasy
I'm so glad I picked up this book at the library.  Fantasy isn't usually my first choice, but every now and then I have to break free from my chains.  I'm so happy I did it with this book.  This book was fast-paced, action-packed, and filled with great characters.

Also, modern fantasy?  I know I don't spend a whole lot of time in the fantasy genre, but it's been a long time since I've seen something that isn't in the middle ages or its equivalent.  There's mysterious artifacts, awesome powers, an
Zoe's Human
Mar 30, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's a great concept and well-written, but it lacks in an area that it critical for me - character. Not only are the characters one-dimensional, but they are also unlikeable. Well that's not quite accurate. Jack, I have nothing more than the greatest indifference towards. Gwen, I actively dislike. Her dialog is far too expositional as well.

I tried to finish this. I really did. As I said, the concept is great. I just couldn't do it though. I made it as far as page 220, and I just can't force myse
Heidi
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book and look forward to the second in the series. 9-12 year old me would have ranked this right up there with Inspector Gadget, and this would have added to my imaginary play where my notebook was really a hidden computer. I borrowed the book, but I'm feeling like I need to get my own copy. First, the cover art is fantastic, and then the story is just a wonderful adventure. This made me think of "The Billionaire's Curse" and is a great young reader adventure/intrigue story. There ar ...more
Claudette
Dec 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
Yet another book where the characters not talking with each other is supposed to pass for a plot. Also, 'freckle bounce'? Seriously?
Tessa Joy
Apr 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Jack Buckles and his younger sister, Sadie, are stuck in London. Their mother has brought them there to search for their missing father. Disobeying orders to stay in the hotel, Sadie follows a man who looks like her father. Frantic, Jack follows Sadie’s trail. The two finally reunite in front of The Lost Property Office. They go inside for help and meet Gwen, an apprentice clerk. While in the office, robotic beetles attack the building separating Jack and Gwen from Sadie. The beetles were from t ...more
Beth
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jack is...different. He can find things, lost things. But when his sister goes missing in London, and Jack goes to find her, he finds himself on the adventure of a lifetime instead. From flying clockwork beetles, to history and impossible legends made possible - all thanks to the family history he never knew he had. And when Jack finds out that his recently deceased dad might not be so deceased after all, well...Jack is determined to find him, too.

The Lost Property Office is a little bit fantasy
Rebekah
I really liked the cover to this one, and I picked it up for that reason alone. The jacket blurb and author bio then piqued my interest sufficiently to read the novel.

The main character, Jack, has synesthesia, a legitimate neurological condition that causes crossover in the senses. Tastes are perceived as colors, and smells as feelings, etc. In Jack’s case it leads to sensory overload, which he must learn to control if he is to find his missing father.

When he stumbles upon the Lost Property Offi
Patty
Nov 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
** 3.5 stars **

Definitely an enjoyable read!
Andrea Wright
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic first book to a new series! Steampunk and Sherlock lovers will wait impatiently with me for the next book to be published.
Linette
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-books
James R Hannibal has created a new genre. The science fiction,fantasy, historic, detective genre. No you don't need synesthesia to understand it.

Brilliant. I couldn't put it down.
Michael Fitzgerald
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
I had high hopes for this one, but it turned out to be just one more in the unending succession of generic fantasy/adventure books. The potential appeal was the historical angle - the 1666 Great Fire of London is of major importance. There is some attempt to connect up literary and historical figures, particularly Sherlock Holmes (although he himself is never called by name, we do meet Mrs. Hudson, we travel to Baker Street, and a man named Doyle is mentioned).

As with many books of this genre,
Emily
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Lost Property Office by James R. Hannibal
****3.8****

The Lost Property Office (LPO) is a fun book by James R. Hannibal. This is also my first book by Mr. Hannibal and I will likely read more.

LPO reminds me a bit of The DaVinci Code in so far as the main characters spend the majority of the book running around London, following one clue to get to the next. Hannibal has thrown in a bit of Fantasy to make it all original though.

Jack, unbeknownst to himself is a tracker. Trackers have a kind of
Roshan
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very absurd characters. 13 year old children do not just go on doing silly stunts without protest especially when they know it's silly. Gwen, the female protagonist was a selfish brat and Jack, the main character was a pushover. The 8 year old 'little sis' behaves as if she never heard a word of advice on how to be careful in a new country, ever, from her parents!! Is this supposed to be a children's book??
Angela Vahle
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
I wanted to love this book, but it really dig drag on and on for me. I kept getting lost in the action/ever-changing setting. The concept was amazing but the characters were weak and hard for me to like. When I think about my dry experience reading this book as an adult, I can’t think of too many of my students that would not abandon early into it...
Deborah
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: magic
Very good story. Did not put it down!!
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Fun adventure for kids. Planning on reading this to my daughter, who is a huge Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings fan.
Erin Lopez
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Teacher friends!!!! Get this new and upcoming series for your classroom libraries. Great for 4th, 5th, and 6th grades 👍 📚
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Marvellous! A really fab middle grade read!
Heather
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thirteen year old Jack Buckles is in London with his mother and sister looking for his father. His sister thinks she sees him walking out of the hotel lobby and follows him out leaving Jack to give chase to her and the man. They eventually stumble into The Lost Property Office where once a form is started it must be completely filled out and their adventure begins.

This middle grade adventure takes you all over London combining magic, history and steampunk elements. It is a fast paced tale that
Shara Vitone
This was a fun urban fantasy adventure written for a young adult audience. Set in London, this fast paced mystery had lots of mystery and a steampunk twist. I enjoyed the imaginative world building and the historical references. Unfortunately, I think the character development could have been much stronger and at times the dialog was stilted and cringeworthy.
Alex
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work-reviews
I was able to get a copy of this from my work to read before it came out. First I really enjoyed this book, I liked the set up, and I really enjoyed the Sherlock Holmes nods. I thought this was a well thought out world and that the second book will be really solid. This one had a lot of world building and explaining it had to do and because of this, parts of this book felt a rushed I didn’t like that the whole book took place in like a day I felt like the author could have let the kids have at l ...more
Ms. Yingling
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Above the Treeline

Jack, his sister Sadie, and his mother all arrive in London to look for his father, who often travels for business but has been in an accident and is missing. His mother is so distracted that she tells the two children to stay in the hotel while she goes out, which of course they do not do. Sadie thinks that she sees their father and takes off, with Jack in pursuit. They end up at a lost and found on the tube line, where they meet Mrs. Hudson and then are a
Sandra Guerfi
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-readers
Jack Buckle's brain works in a different way than the average person's. His senses are heightened, more aware. Sounds bring images and smells and tastes. Needless to say Jack is good at finding things but the additional information can be overwhelming at times. Especially now that he along with his younger sister and mother have arrived in London in search of their father who vanished mysteriously. As his mother tries to find out more, Jack tries to keep his sister occupied, until the day she va ...more
Emily
May 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
This Lost Property Office is like Harry Potter without character development set in a tourist's version of London (rife with stereotypes) with the most special of snowflakes for a protagonist. Also, wtf is a "freckle bounce" and why is it in the book 7376372626 times?! Lastly, there was so much paperwork?! I never finish a book thinking, "Oh, I wish there were more clever jokes about paperwork!"
Sherrie
Strong beginning but went downhill from there. I was so excited to read this book and was thoroughly disappointed. The writing was dull and repetitive with little action or character development. I started to buy the book rather than borrow from the library thank goodness I didn’t.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Cape (The League of Secret Heroes #1)
  • The Mystery of Black Hollow Lane (Black Hollow Lane, #1)
  • The Van Gogh Deception
  • Wizard for Hire
  • The Water Bears
  • The Problim Children
  • A Babysitter's Guide to Monster Hunting (Babysitter's Guide to Monsters, #1)
  • The Wooden Prince (Out of Abaton #1)
  • The Crims
  • The Revenge of Magic (The Revenge of Magic, #1)
  • Apprentice Needed (Wizard for Hire, #2)
  • The Inventors at No. 8
  • Museum of Thieves (The Keepers, #1)
  • The Door in the Alley (The Explorers #1)
  • Dragon Flight (Dragon Slippers, #2)
  • City of Lies (The Keepers, #2)
  • Path of Beasts (The Keepers, #3)
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
James R. Hannibal is the author of the award-winning Section 13 Mystery/fantasy series from Simon and Schuster Young Readers and the Thriller Award nominated Nick Baron series from Berkley Books. As a former stealth bomber pilot and drone pilot James is no stranger to action or secrets. He has been shot at, locked up by a surface to air missile system, and aided the capture of High Value Targets.

Section 13 (3 books)
  • The Fourth Ruby (Section 13, #2)
  • The Clockwork Dragon (Section 13, #3)

News & Interviews