Start by marking “A Guide to the Other Side (Beyond Baylor, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Guide to the Other Side (Beyond Baylor, #1)

A Guide to the Other Side

(Beyond Baylor #1)

A boy and his ghostly twin sister work together to pass messages from the beyond in this funny paranormal debut.

Oh, and his twin sister, Kristina? She’s a ghost too
Published October 4th 2016 by Aladdin

To ask other readers questions about A Guide to the Other Side, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Guide to the Other Side

Stephanie Ward
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
'A Guide to the Other Side' is the exciting first novel in a fun new middle grade paranormal series that will have readers begging for the next installment. The story follows main character Baylor - a 13-year-old boy who just happens to have the ability to talk to the dead, including his twin sister, Kristina. Baylor was born with this gift and has come to terms with his strange life - until a creepy ghost covered in a white sheet shows up in his bedroom one night, and his ghostly twin goes miss ...more
Cara
This was very fast paced. Our library has it cataloged as teen, but this is definitely middle grade.

Baylor Bosco can see ghosts, and his mission in life is to pass along healing messages to those who are grieving. He does this with the help of his twin sister, who just happens to be a ghost.

I love that his parents are involved with his gift and even though it makes them uncomfortable, they still support him. And it's a good think they do because when he starts being haunted by a violent ghost
andrea caro
A pretty standard middle grade that wasn't spooky, surprising, or as well-written as other books in the same genre. Ellen Oh did it better in Spirit Hunters. Plus, this book had a few unnecessary jabs at people that I can tell the author meant to be funny (i.e. poking fun at how fat a woman was or a priest acting annoyed that a woman was on the phone and saying, "women, eh?" because she apparently talked too much). I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN WHEN JAMES PATTERSON BLURBED IT.
Stephanie Cover2CoverBlog
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
This was a very imaginative book, the author does a wonderful job setting the tone for the book in the first 100 pages and keeps it up throughout. I really felt for the characters and what was happening and that is great in a middle grade read.

Baylor is a young boy with the ability to see ghosts and spirits, which is great because that way he can see his sister, who died at birth - a morbid beginning, but the book works out really well. Baylor and his sister Kristina have a really close bond. T
Annalee Schnebele
Baylor is a medium that can talk to spirits. His deceased twin sister is his help managing the otherside.
Things get weird when a strange spirit covered in a sheet shows up (and moves Baylor temporarily to a different dimension).

An interesting mysterious middle grader mystery. Recommended for 7th and 8th graders who want something a little spooky, fast-paced, and a mystery.
Shelby
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I didn't expect this book to be super great, but it turned out to be a great book. The Guide to the Other Side was a great book that never had a dull moment, and had such a great concept and story. It had a storyline that wasn't like any book I've read before, and I am excited for the net one.
Llyr Heller-Humphreys
2.5/3
Heidi
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Cool story involving ghosts and a dead twin sister.
Cat
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fans of the paranormal will love this! Ghosts abound and poor Baylor (and his twin sister, who's a ghost, get to deal with them regularly! Middle grades, 4th-7th should appreciate this tale!
Cheryl
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!
Brianna DuMont
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It had humor, twists, and a great pace. Can't wait to get the second one!
Sabrina
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review to come
Pop Bop
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Remarkably Cool and Decidedly Different

So, I figured this would be about a kid who communicates with ghosts, has an adventure, and yada yada. Boy, was I misguided. This is a deeply cool and well written book that is a middle grade coming of age tale, a deeply well imagined ghost/spirit/demon story, and an utterly charming view of sibling love and support.

Here's the setup. Our hero, Baylor, was a twin, but his sister, Kristina, was miscarried and never born. She moved on directly to the spirit w
Sharon Tyler
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Guide to the Other Side is the first book in the Beyond Baylor series by Robert Imfeld. It is currently scheduled for release on October 4 2016. There are a few things you should know about Baylor Bosco: He’s thirteen-years-old, he has a twin sister, and he really does NOT like ghosts…which is problematic because he’s a medium and sees ghosts everywhere. Oh, and his twin sister, Kristina? She’s a ghost too. They’ve been working as a pair for years, expertly relaying messages from ghosts to the ...more
Shawn
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a great series debut, filled with fun and supernatural action. The very premise of the book is intriguing and inventive - a boy who talks to ghosts with a spirit guide that happens to be his unborn twin sister.

The story introduces us to Baylor Bosco and shows us his life as he uses his gift to pass messages of healing from the Beyond. There's a lot hinted at there, the fact that there's more to this unique duo than meets the eye. This leaves us with many new mysteries to solve in futur
bea
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i love this book and can't wait to read the next book
Carie
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Brand new book for us. One of my students read it and insisted I try it. How could I say no? The plot premise is interesting: a boy can see ghosts who constantly ask him to pass along messages to their live relatives. His "best friend" is his twin sister who died at birth. The characters are funny and clever, and the plot moves along at a crazy frenzied pace. Just not my genre I suppose.
Cindy Hudson
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Baylor Bosco has a unique talent. He not only sees ghosts, but he can deliver their messages to loved ones still on Earth. His twin sister Kristina, who is also a ghost, acts as a go-between for Baylor and the other side, a sort of spirit-world gatekeeper. But when a mysterious ghost covered in a sheet appears to Baylor, neither twin knows what it means. They set out to solve the mystery while learning things about their unique abilities along the way.

A Guide to the Other Side by Robert Imfeld i
Baylor and his twin sister have a connection to the other-side. The two help ghosts pass along messages to their living loved ones. It helps that Baylor's twin, Kristina, is dead. She died while still in the womb, but she grows along with Baylor. The two have an unusual relationship with some nonbelievers, but their gift really does help many of the living. Baylor is visited by a ghost, who boots Kristina from Baylor's side. The twins work together to try and figure out who this scary spirit is ...more
Carol Curley
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: summer-2016
A delightful debut novel which is sure to appeal to middle grade students. Baylor and ghostly twin sister, Kristina, are likable characters who team up to solve the mystery of the man in the sheet. The premise of Kristina's existence is quite clever and the message relaying is sympathetic, cathartic and sometimes comical. Add to this mix, a ghost-napping, a strange talisman, some demons and middle school shenanigans and you have a solid read and the beginning of an exciting series. This is a gre ...more
Becky
Baylor and his twin sister, Kristina, help spirits move on to the other side. Baylor relays messages from the dead to their living loved ones and Kristina communicate with the ghosts. Their partnership works perfectly...especially because Kristina is a ghost. Then one day a malevolent ghost begins to target Baylor. Baylor and Kristina must work to solve the mystery of the ghost to free his spirit and solve themselves.

This was a fun mystery filled with creepy foes. Good book for younger readers
Wensday
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Was not sure if I was going to like this book when I started reading it and wasn't even sure that I would finish it, but I'm glad I stuck with it as it turned out to be an enjoyable read. Not quite a full on mystery of who done it, but an intriguing story line all the same.

I received the advanced reader copy from Net Galley for my honest review.
Jaclyn
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So much fun!! The characters are lovable, & the writing is creative. I'm not typically a kids' book reader, but this story was interesting & detailed enough to keep me very interested. & it made me cry on multiple occasions & laugh aloud on multiple occasions. A perfect, sweet October read!
T.J. Burns
I received a copy of this book from Simon and Schuster Children's Publishing via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Kelly Lipscomb
Nov 21, 2016
Mandy
Nov 16, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• Curse of the Boggin (The Library, #1)
  • Vanishing Acts
  • Johnny Swanson
  • The Haunting of Apartment 101 (The Paranormalists, #1)
  • Alibi's Ghosts, The Larger-Than-Life Small World of a Medium's Daughter
  • Shadows of the Silver Screen
  • Girl Meets Ghost (Girl Meets Ghost, #1)
  • The Whispering House
  • Open Mic Night at Westminster Cemetery
  • Chicks with Sticks (Knitwise) (Chicks with Sticks #3)
  • Grave Images
  • The Gone Away Place
  • Spirit
  • Rebel Spirits
  • The Black Heart Crypt (Haunted Mystery #4)
  • Dead Air (The Kat Sinclair Files #1)
  • Deep Water
  • Seven Dead Pirates

Beyond Baylor (2 books)
  • Baylor's Guide to Dreadful Dreams (Beyond Baylor, #2)