Start by marking “Fate of Flames (Effigies, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fate of Flames (Effigies, #1)

Fate of Flames

(Effigies #1)

Years ago, everything changed. Phantoms, massive beasts of nightmare, began terrorizing the world. At the same time four girls, the Effigies, appeared, each with the unique power to control a classical element. Since then, they have protected the world from the Phantoms. At the death of one Effigy, another is chosen, pulled from her normal life into the never-ending battle ...more
Published November 22nd 2016 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Fate of Flames, please sign up.
Jessica yes, you can read it. No sexually scenes, or overall cursing. Violence is in it, but nothing bad that you could have seen in TV, Movies and News.

Sarah Raughley
Feb 16, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This is my book! Basic Premise: PACIFIC RIM meets the AVENGERS with a SAILOR MOON cast.

What does that mean?

Basically:

1) Bad Ass Pretty Girls

2) Fighting Monsters

3) While the World is Watching

description

Uh but unlike Pacific Rim there's no mecha (yet?), sorry Gundam fans! :)

If you've got any comments or questions? Put em right here :) Check my blog and twitter for up to date news!

ALSO:

August 17 - Hey Canadians! We're doing a goodreads giveaway just for you! It's happening right now, ending August 31, so m
Aneta Bak
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fate of Flames is my new favourite dystopian book. It has amazing characters, a fantastic plot, and a stunning new world. The book has so much action, you won’t want to put it down.

There can only be four Effigies at one time. If one Effigie dies, their power moves on to the next person chosen. When Natalya turns up dead, it is Maia Finley who becomes her successor. The power of fire has been handed to Maia, she has no choice but to train her powers and fight alongside Bella, Chae Rin, and Lake t
Alyssa

Book One of the Effigies series
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publication Date: November 22, 2016
Rating: 2 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Four girls with the power to control the elements and save the world from a terrible evil must come together in the first epic novel in a brand-new series.

When Phantoms—massive beasts made from nightmares and darkness—suddenly appeared and began terrorizing t
Crazy4Books
I was so excited when I won this ARC in a Goodreads Giveaway. Its been on my most anticipated list for a long time. I love that its written by a Canadian author and that alone makes me want to love this book. The Pacific Rim with a Sailor Moon cast reference had me hooked right away. Ive loved sailor moon ever since I was a kid and I really enjoyed Pacific Rim. Due to the mix reviews I was a little worried but still hopeful.

Off to a promising start with a phantom attack within the first couple p
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
Nov 23, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy, ya
According to the author: Basic Premise: PACIFIC RIM meets the AVENGERS with a SAILOR MOON cast.

I know the ratings aren't that good, but she had me at Sailor Moon. :D

Carrie
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
High school student Maia Finley has been holding in a secret for a few days now. She knows that one of her idols must have died because now Maia has been chosen to take her place as the new Fire Effigy. There are always four Effigies at any given time and when one dies another young girl will be chosen by fate to inherit the magical abilities of one of the four elements.

When the city of New York comes under attack from phantoms with the protection system down Maia finds herself tossed into the
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

I was provided with an ARC of Fate Of Flames by Sarah Raughley from Simon & Schuster Canada in exchange for and honest review.

3.5 Stars

The first time I had heard of Fate Of Flames, it was marketed as Sailor Moon meets Avatar: The Last Airbender. Let me tell you, they had me at Sailor Moon. I grew up watching that show and to come across a novel that has a similar aspect? Consider it sold.

What I Liked

Our home and native land! Yes, this book partially took place in Canada! Also known as, my
Tamara

HAHAHA YOU MEAN SOMETHING LİKE THIS?

Dont give a shit about PACIFIC RIM (It's just slightly better than Transformers but both have cliche scenes, predictable story, bad acting, focus on visual stimulation so no shit given there.) but damn you whoever wrote that. AVENGERS with a SAILOR MOON cast? I'M SO IN BABY. I'M SO IN.

Sailor Moon fan in me:

Avengers fan in me:

If this one mixes:

with

and adds some of the

I'll one happy girl but none of the-

I'm too old for that shit.

And oh, please be good.

E.K. Johnston
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Basically, it's the parts of Buffy, Pacific Rim, and Avatar: The Last Airbender that I loved the most, with twists and turns of its own, and some really excellent world building.

It's messy and complicated and full of girls and and you should buy it.
Odette Knappers
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inbezit, 2016, to-reread
So, back in March, the Dutch publisher Blossom Books asked their ambassadors (including me) to read some manuscripts for them. This is one of the books I've read in this period, as well as The Witch's Kiss and one other, which I'm allowed to mention when that one is published :)

This is an awesome book about girlpower. The world is under attack by monsters, and only 4 girl, Effifies, on the globe have to power to really fight them. What you get is 4 chicks constantly saving the world, how cool is
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
Fate of Flames is unlike anything I’ve read before. This book is about a group of girls who fight phantoms to save the world. The main character goes from fangirl to fighter, even if it takes time. However, the story was pretty slow and there were a few parts that seemed dry, affecting my overall enjoyment.

This book has such an intriguing concept! Basically, there is this group of girls, called Effigies, who have to fight phantoms and save the world. I really enjoyed how all of the girls come fr
Aila
10/19/16:

Absolutely infuriating to read. It's been so long so I've read a book where I could find almost NO redeeming qualities, no matter what kind of excuses I make up for it. By page 200 I was rage reading it.

Was it because of the cardboard, weak main character whose dialogue never amounted to anything and actions that were stagnant throughout the book?

Was it the lack of growth in the characters that I could read about?

Was it the fact that most of the girls were embroiled in stereotype -lik
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

FATE OF FLAMES is the first book in the Effigies series. When I read the blurb of this story, I was immediately drawn in by its premise. Four girls with the power to control the elements are responsible for saving the world from terrible evil. These Phantoms continue to terrorize the city of Manhattan and when you throw in the fact that these girls are essentially supposed to be superheroes you would think this would be a pretty epic book.

However, I didn’t love it. I liked it enough to finish i
T.J. Burns
Exciting! Mega-exciting! The action pulled me right in and wouldn’t let me go. (I immediately wanted to know what an Effigie is and how can I become one ;) ).

The characters are diverse and interesting. They captured my interest and I cared about them. I liked seeing the four girls coming together, overcoming their daemons, working through their weaknesses, pulling out their strengths. I am very much looking forward to the next installment so I can continue along on their journey with them.

(view
Heather (The Sassy Book Geek)
Originally Posted On The Sassy Book Geek

Update: The more I think about this book the more I remember just how much the main character irritated me so I'm downgrading the rating because 3 stars means I did moderately enjoy and "Fate of Flames" I don't think deserves that.

**** Big thank you to Simon Pulse for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review****

This was a book that was hard to rate because I liked the concept a lot but overall “Fate of Flames” was really meh. So it g
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
After being a huge fan of Raughley's debut novel, I'm sad to be so whelmed by Fate of Flames. It tries to mix magical realism, paranormal, and sci-fi in unsatisfying ways and I didn't come out of the book feeling it had a satisfactory ending even for the first book in a series. It feels like a backstory given full form. It does an incredible job of humanizing the girls and deconstructing the Magical Girl trope via showing how hard it is for these teenage girls to put their lives on the line and ...more
❤ Leelynn (Sometimes Leelynn Reads) ❤
Find this review and more on my blog: Sometimes Leelynn Reads

"Technically, this was what I'd always wanted, in a way... To fight like one of them. To save lives like one of them. And now I was one of them. An Effigy. Careful what you wish for, I guess."

So my library was doing a "Blind Date with a Book" thing, and the description is what made me get this. I had no idea what the title was or anything because of course, it was wrapped up in brown packaging and only had bullet points as a summary. I
Miranda (MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It)
3.5 / 5 Fangs

Fate of Flames started off with a bang. From the first chapter, I was captivated by the world the author created. I will admit that the world building was a little weak, so it was hard to understand some of the aspects of the world. The author included some much-needed information as the book went on, so that helped me understand what was going on. However, I do still feel like there are some unanswered questions about the world and the Effigies that I hope will be addressed in th
Daphnee (daphneereads)
Fate of Flames by Sarah Raughley had a great premise but it annoyed me so bad that it was FULL of clichés. The only thing that saved it for me was that it was action-packed and fast-paced.
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Disclaimer: I received an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

DNF @ 35%

I made it farther than my typical 25% before DNF-ing only because I am reviewing it on Books Are My Fandom for one of our BAMF Reviews, but I just couldn't read anymore. Thinking about going back to it is making me want to cry. I was bored and I feel like with a book that has destructo-beasts and girls with superpowers, I should be ENTHRALLED not wondering how Jurassic Park was still made in 1991 when the world
Carrie
DNF - Couldn't get into this one.
Liz at Midnight Bloom Reads
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sarah Raughley's Fate of Flames is a very ambitious introduction to the Effigies series. Pitched as a combination of Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and The Avengers, I definitely had some high expectations when I first started the book. And you know what? I loved Fate of Flames! It gave me four female superheroes to cheer on as they used their powers to fight monsters and save humankind.

Two days ago, Maia Finley became the newest Fire Effigy, succeeding one of the most legendary Effigies who ever liv
Peach

I featured it on my blog in an old session of Top Tuesday. It'd been pitched as "Pacific Rim meets the Avengers with a Sailor Moon cast." COME ON.

Sailor Moon Maia Finley is an average schoolgirl when her New York City school has been ransacked by phantoms and ghostly beings alike. She's forced to "calmly evacuate" with her class, and although she knows of her Effigy heritage - aka: a Sailor Scout/Senshi of the current day - she obviously has no clue of how to save the world.

Fortunately for her,
Vee S
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED IT, honestly. This book is like... everything I never knew I needed. And I don't know why I haven't seen more people talking about it?????

-dystopia/SF/F
-Jamaican-American mc superhero (who I *think* is #ownvoices??)
-really fascinating, satisfying worldbuilding
-such an amazing exploration fandom (and all the ups and downs)
-like honestly who knew you could smoosh together SF/F and fandom culture so seamlessly into one book!! Because I did not!
-exploration of internalized misogyny
-use
Jesse Nicholas
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-books, fantasy
Its started out fantastic! Hit a dry spell in the middle and lagged. Ending was underwhelming. Should have left off with a cliffhanger to pique reader interest in wanting to pick up the sequel!

Full review to come!
Sandra
Mar 23, 2016 marked it as to-read
A superhero fantasy pitched as PACIFIC RIM meets the AVENGERS with a SAILOR MOON cast.

Cody Roecker
Mar 06, 2016 marked it as to-read
I am so excited because I have won an ARC to be sent to me as soon as ARCs are in print! Cannot wait!!!!
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
Review originally posted on Mostly YA Lit:
Review: Fate of Flames by Sarah Raughley
Is Fate of Flames is sci-fi or fantasy? I’m not sure it matters. The book has elements from both genres, with a lot about celebrity, teamwork, and memory thrown in.

In the near future, the world has been overrun by phantoms, shadowy beasts who wreak havoc wherever they go. Most major cities on Earth have anti-shadow technology that keeps the phantoms outside of the atmosphere. Sometimes, though, they break through
Mycoton32
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

17/20 - Maia est une héroïne très agréable dont on prend plaisir à découvrir la vie et les nouveaux pouvoirs !!
Madison
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love superhero books, so I was excited by the premise of a strong cast of females with impressive powers (and a touch of both glamour and drama) in a fantasy setting. Fate of Flames delivers plenty of action and mystery, and all the drama you would expect when throwing four girls together and hoping they can save the world.

Maia knows everything there is to know about the Effigies, four girls gifted with the powers of the elements to fight the Phantoms that plague the world. Maia just never ex

• Rise (Order of the Krigers, #1)
  • The West Woods
  • Ride the Wind (Flipped Fairy Tale #3)
  • Dragon Seer (Dragon Seer, #1)
  • Gyre (Atlas Link, #1)
  • Girls on the Verge
  • His Hideous Heart
  • The Emerald Tablet (Five Elements #1)
  • Titans
  • Don't You Trust Me?
  • Unnatural Disasters
  • Firebrand (Steeplejack #2)
  • Link (The Shadow of Light, #1)
  • The Consort (Ascension, #3)
  • Prairie Fire (The Story of Owen, #2)
  • Bound by Blood and Sand (Bound by Blood and Sand #1)
  • The Beast (The Hunter Legends, #1)
  • The Impostor Queen (The Impostor Queen, #1)
Sarah Raughley grew up in Southern Ontario writing stories about freakish little girls with powers because she secretly wanted to be one. She is a huge fangirl of anything from manga to SF/F TV to Japanese Role Playing Games, but she will swear up and down that she was inspired by ~Jane Austin~ at book signings. On top of being a YA Writer, she is currently completing a PhD in English, because the ...more

Effigies (3 books)
  • Siege of Shadows (Effigies, #2)
  • Legacy of Light (Effigies, #3)