Start by marking “The Boss Baby” as Want to Read:
The Boss Baby

The Boss Baby

From the moment the baby arrived, it was obvious that he was the boss.

The boss baby is used to getting his way—drinks made to order 24/7, a private jet, and meetings around the clock. But when his demands aren’t getting proper responses, he has to go to new lengths to achieve the attention he deserves.
Published November 1st 2016 by Beach Lane Books (first published August 31st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Boss Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boss Baby

Kris - My Novelesque Life
RATING: 3 STARS

(Review Not on Blog)

A cute picture book that reveals the real truth about who is the boss when it comes to infants! It is a very simple and short story so there is not much of a plot. There are some great illustrations.
Kathryn
Jul 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the moment he arrives, the new baby is The Boss. He holds lots of meetings, makes demands, has his own car and private jet, etc.--and, oh my gosh, the fun is in the accompanying illustrations that show him, for example, throwing a tantrum in his crib while Mom and Dad watch in terror (the "meeting") or swinging on a little rocket toddler swing (the "private jet"). The premise is so much fun and is carried out with great skill by Frazee's charming text and especially the humorous, detailed i ...more
La Coccinelle
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I didn't realize that this had been a book first! I'd heard of the movie, of course.

This is actually pretty cute. The story is fairly basic, and probably aimed more at adults (sleep-deprived parents in particular), but little kids will probably find the boss baby in his power onesie (complete with tie!) pretty amusing. When you look at things the way the book does, you can really see how a new baby might seem like the boss of the household... and this story highlights that in a very cute way.
Erica
I've just finished the board book edition and I can't help but think this would be more appropriately housed in the New Parents section of the bookstore/library because, really, cute as it is, it's pretty much the basic truth of having a baby in the house.
Valerie (Howler_Puff)
Read in February.

It was a cute book! It described my son perfectly..not sure that is a good thing!
Sandra Bašić
Nothing spectacular, you better watch the film kids!
Christabelle
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is cute! I was excited to find it after my kids found the movie. Definitely a fun read.
Josiah
Nov 27, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book represents well everything that I've come to expect from Marla Frazee as an author and illustrator. The artwork is impressive enough on its own merits that I'm certain it must have presented a serious challenge for a piece of the 2011 Caldecott hardware, and the story's comedy is effervescent and always surprising, sure to bring about laughter in readers of any age. I have the feeling that Marla Frazee has become one of those authors whose every published work from now on will be disc ...more
Stephanie
"He made demands. Many, many demands. And he was quite particular. If things weren't done to his immediate satisfaction, he had a fit."

I LOVE The Boss Baby. It's hilarious, accurate, and has wonderfully funny illustrations. The way babies take over your life is depicted here as a demanding boss in the form of a suit-wearing bossy baby. He demands frequent meetings (many in the middle of the night), drinks made to order 24/7 (in the form of bottles), and has an office (smack dab in the middle of
Feb 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bean-books, picture
After my daughter was born, I was always asked in conversation, "are you going back to work?" I would smile, tilt my head toward the sleeping (or screaming) bundle in the room and say, "nope, she's my boss now." This usually got a chuckle because it was funny.

Only, I wasn't joking.

I'm tickled pink that Marla Frazee could put into words and pictures what it is TRULY like to have a miniature person "running the house." The exhaustion, the frustration, and ultimately, the sheer happiness of parenth
Ashley
Apr 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime-picks
A wonderful tongue in cheek story. Babies are the real bosses aren't they?

(BRT)
Goshen PL Childrens
Read for Storytime, June 21st
Theme: Staff favorites, Marla Frazee & Alison McGhee

This book is hilarious!
Becky B
A tongue-in-cheek look at what life is like with a baby in the house.

You have to read this with just the right amount of humor. Take it too seriously, and oh boy. But if you recognize the humor and the truths Frazee is playing on, this is a funny look at how a baby can completely reorganize a household and become the center of their parents' world.
Jennifer Brown
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute book for the kids. I am not a parent, but I am sure this is the reality of all parents and their babies!!! :-)
Chezsa
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Classic
Ava Jae
I feel like this picture book is more for the parents than it is for the kids but also L O L
Randy Tramp
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The boss baby gets his own way-drinks made to order, private jet plane, and meetings around the clock.

What great imagination. My son, Aaron brought this book home and insisted I read it. "Dad, you like chapter books, right?" Oh boy, was he right. I loved this book and told my eight-year-old so.
Russell
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A hilarious and entertaining read, though sending completely the wrong message. No child of mine has been such a domineering insolent little tyrant, and no supervisor of mine has been so awful and disrespectful. Should we really be comparing our progeny to Joffrey Baratheon from A Game of Thrones or Miranda Priestly from The Devil Wears Prada?

That said, the book is amusing, and well illustrated. Particularly (view spoiler)
Arminzerella
When the Boss Baby arrives, he immediately takes control of his parents’ lives – “He put Mom and Dad on a round-the-clock schedule, with no time off.” Dressed in black footie pajamas that look just like a power suit (with a convenient flap at the back) and a tie, the Boss Baby proceeds to throw his weight around. It’s truly remarkable how many parallels there are between insufferable bosses and squalling babies – Marla Frazee is a genius. This is funny on so many levels. The illustrations are gr ...more
Becky Ginther
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, humor
This is a cute little picture book that I think would be a funny gift to give to first time parents with a new baby. Basically, the story is a big metaphor comparing a baby to the boss of a big company - he's spoiled, gets everything he wants, tells everyone else what to do and has everyone cater to him, etc. The illustrations are fun and work well with the tone of the book, and it's a good laugh. A cute, clever little book.
Lacey Louwagie
This is definitely one of those picture books that is as enjoyable for adults as for kids, if not more so. While children may giggle at the "boss baby" in his little business-suit onesie and his furrowed brow, only adults will truly appreciate the horrible hours he requires of his "employees" or the "executive perks" such as drinks on demand. Would make a fun gift to expectant parents at baby showers. The text is clever, but the illustrations are what really steal the show.
Kristine Hansen
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Here is that perfect gift for anyone who is expecting their first child. I'm not calling this a picture book for children (though they will likely laugh and enjoy the story). This is pure fun for adults who've been there, and those who are about to be there. The baby is BOSS of the household, and there's no two ways about it.

Humorous and highly accurate, I thoroughly enjoyed this one.
Jennifer B.
Sep 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'd avoided reading this because I was sure I'd hate it. But I figured I'd take the 5 minutes to see what all the fuss is about. Yup. I hated it. And to think they made a movie. From the first trailer I knew I'd hate that. I'll be sure to stay away.
Kyra Harwell
Mar 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a cute book. I purchased two copies to give as a gift to two first time mothers.
Amianne Bailey
Read Aloud--3rd grade; Great pairing with Sophie Peterman Tells the Truth!
Chelsey McNeil
Silly. Underdeveloped, but enjoyable. The kids like it.
Brenda
Dec 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a super cute book that both my husband and I and our children really enjoyed. It's funny and very true to life. Puts a humorous spin on parenting a new baby.
Kimberly
This is less a book for kids and more a book for their exhausted parents! It rings very true!
Alyse Liebovich
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-lit
Same illustrator as the Clementine series with really humorous illustrations. Recommended by Kathy, who said she likes to give it as a gift to new parents.
Ashlee Tominey
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A funny read for a Mom of a Boss Baby. Loved the illustrations.

• I'm Not.
  • Chester's Masterpiece (Chester)
  • Mrs. Biddlebox