Start by marking “Mechanica” as Want to Read:
Mechanica

Mechanica

An imaginative field guide to the fantasy world of Mechanica creatures, with amazing and beautiful steampunk-inspired illustrations.

In this field guide from the future, a dashing explorer-Miss Liberty Crisp-details amazing creatures known as Mechanica: human-created life forms designed to replace extinct species.

Set in the twenty-third century, the book descri
Published August 30th 2016 by little bee books

To ask other readers questions about Mechanica, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mechanica

Bruce Gargoyle
I received a copy of this title from Five Mile Press for review.

A Top Book of 2016 pick!

Ten Second Synopsis:
In a future Earth, all animal life has been extinguished - except for humans. In response to this environmental catastrophe, humans have engineered mechanical creatures to fill the planet. What could possibly go wrong?

Who doesn't love awesomely inventive creatures repopulating a post-apocalyptic landscape? No one, that's who! Mechanica, with its sl
Kate
In Mechanica: A Beginners Field Guide, the world as we know it has changed. On future Earth, the environmental impact of humans caused many animal and insect species to become extinct. With much of the world inhabitable due to pollution and other issues, a new kind of life was invented. Mechanica, human created lifeforms, were designed to replace the roles of now extinct wildlife. In this book the author gives us facts and illustrations of many different species of Mechanica as well as a brief h ...more
Jennie
Set in the 23rd century, and presented as a field guide of mechanical creatures, Mechanica provides a brief history as background to a series of exotic, detailed and technical illustrations of a range of robotic, mechanical creatures created to replace disappearing and extinct species.

Miss Liberty Crips provides a journalistic report of her travels and encounters with these creatures and describes how Earth can no longer support wildlife through the continued mistreatment of the planet with the
Random Scholar
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would highly recommend this to anyone who has students or children that love science fiction. The scenario is highly realistic because our Earth does continue to get more polluted from corrupt people who don't care about the environment and many animals are continuing to suffer. What makes this book so fascinating is that there is a section that mentions how these man-made creatures cross-bred with each other to produce more wild, vicious Mechanica.
Tina
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing!
Wonderful concept and brillant steampunk theme, I can visualise the world and the film already! Very interested in the Mechanica Chronicles though I'm not sure if they exist.
So very fascinating, more please.
Kylie Purdie
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads, cbc-2017
This has been shortlisted for the Australian Children's Book Council Picture Book of the Year.

This is beautifully presented - the pictures have intricate detail and could be explored for hours. The book itself however, missed the mark for me. Like another review I read, I found the beauty within the pictures conflicted with the story of doom presented.
Mechanical insects have been created to take the place of real insects which humanity has managed to wipe out. The mechanica were develo
Peter
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fun and imaginative; like Dinotopia meets Robota, meets John James Audubon.
May 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
A fictional field guide to hybridised mechanical animals, Mechanica is visually captivating, but the mismatch between words and pictures muddles its theme. It claims to be "a cautionary tale about the environment and the rise of AI," but the author-illustrator does a poor job of cautioning - instead, he makes environmental destruction and deadly AI look appealing. Set in the 23rd Century when all biological life has been destroyed by pollution, Mechanica is a collection of beautiful illustration ...more
Karen
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, includes-review
Mechanica is visually sumptious and intellectually fascinating.

Lance Balchin presents a logbook featuring a number of "Mechanica" - hybrids of animals/insects crossed with robots. Through the logbook format, we learn about the properties and habits of these creatures, and also catch glimpses of a backstory about the interaction and effects of Mechanica upon the human world.

This book is accompanied by a website which gives good information about how the author has created
Anika Claire
In a future world, humans are the only animal life left. There are creatures, though - strange mechanical insects and birds that have evolved over the years. This book contains incredibly detailed pictures and descriptions of these Mechanica, as found by a naturalist in the Orient in 2250.

My five-year-old was fascinated by this book. The beautiful pictures are accompanied by snippets of story following the adventures of Miss Liberty Crisp, but I couldn't help feeling that there's ple
Jaq
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
A beautifully illustrated tale of the steampunk inspired creatures of this far future earth.

I loved it, and it's a favourite at my school library too.....
Christopher Murphy
Oct 04, 2017
Stef (Noveltea Corner)
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017, australian
Mechanica: a Beginner’s Field Guide is a fictional-non-fiction field guide to the wonderfully unique world of the Mechanica creatures - animals that have been built to replace the lost animals of Earth.

First, and foremost, what captured my attention the most, were the beautiful, steampunk-inspired illustrations that accompanied the field notes on each page. They are just stunning to look at, with wonderfully unique details and corresponding histories and facts.

I knew noth