Start by marking “The Secret Billionaire” as Want to Read:

Best Young Adult Book, Great Midwest Book Festival, 2016
Best Young Adult Book, Northern California Book Festival, 2016
Best Young Adult Book, Reader Views, 2016-2017
Gold Medal, Juvenile/Young Adult Fiction, eLit Awards, 2017
Gold Medal, Juvenile/Young Adult Fiction eBook, Independent Publisher Awards, 2017

1960s — March 24. Bi
Published September 29th 2016 by PageWing, Inc.

Tara Woods Turner
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What happens when a young adult novel has to stand on its own merit without the benefit of vampires, zombies or constant eye-rolling? It gains an opportunity to be classified as genuinely great fiction like The Secret Billionaire. The title of this book gave me pause at first because it reminded me of a middle grade mystery but the description was intriguing so I gave it a try. I am so glad I did. Eternal angst, love triangles and inconceivably adult behavior and thought processes are the hallma ...more
Paula  Phillips
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it

The Secret Billionaire has a strong start with an incident happening in 1960 where a reclusive billionaire who owned most of the town disappeared without a trace when his plane went down. Lyndon Surway with no relatives and family, left some of his money to his workers to provide for their families and children's education and the rest of his money, estates - everything else was left to Lucian Baker. The thing though is that no-one could ever track down Lucian Baker and so it remained uncollecte
Alyssa Janine Busia
Another entertaining and intriguing mystery book that I’ve read!

The book was about an orphan boy named Andrew Day that was chosen for a scholarship on a private school. It was a scholarship where a lot of students tried to applied but to no luck, they never got it and only Andrew was chosen. He met some friends there and they told him a very old story going around the town.

It was about the billionaire Lyndon Surway that disappeared around 1960. It was said that he had left most of his fortune
Kelly Graham
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very compelling read

I'm not sure why I found it so compelling, but I did. It's a fascinating story. I look forward to reading what happens next.
Reader Views
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by Emily Sutton (age 15) for Reader Views (02/17)

“The Secret Billionaire” is an intriguing young adult mystery/thriller by debut author, Teymour Shahabi. The premise involves the decades-old unsolved disappearance of Billionaire, Lyndon Surway, and the current-day life and challenges of a young boy named Andrew Day.

Lyndon Surway took off in his private jet one beautiful morning never to return. After being missing in action for 90 days, Surway was officially pronounced dead. The reading
Becky
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book. So many books today tell the reader how they should feel about the characters instead of doing the hard work of creating dialogue and action that allows the reader to see who the characters really are. This book was refreshing that the characters were not cliché but showed multiple facets of their personalities. I have a feeling that the author's internal and external dialogue of his characters led the reader to come to his intended conclusion.

The book ended with a
Mrs. Reader
Sep 27, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is for people who love YA and suspense.

Let me start off by saying that I love a good mystery so when I saw this I jumped at the chance to review it. The first few pages drew me in I was on pins and needles and was waiting to be told more about Lyndon Surway and his mysterious disappearance. I loved that instead of going right into the book we start with a news article.
But then things get all confusing. The prologue is not in the same time frame as the news article, which would be fin
Christina
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Suspenseful, thought-provoking, and a good old-fashioned mystery all seasoned with a dash of coming-of-age, this was a great read.

Andrew Day finds himself at a school on a scholarship he didn’t apply for in a town that holds many secrets, most as a result of the disappearance of billionaire local, Lyndon Surway, decades prior to Andrew’s arrival. Trying to navigate his way in a school where everyone’s an heir to an illustrious parent, Andrew feels drawn to Cameron and Olivia from the first day,
Sheila Lohrie
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful book. Full of hope and life.

To me this story had all of the grandest and saddest of human nature that life has to offer. I feel blessed to have found it quite by accident. The characters were real however fictional. The words filled the pages as though the author had lived this life himself. Mr. Shahabi writes with his heart and soul. I look forward to his next installment and any other books that he shares with his audience. I read many books and sadly most of them don't stay with m
Zee Monodee
An engrossing read! The prose, pace, and the flow reminded me of fiction from past decades, a lot along the lines of Sidney Sheldon and the like. It's a story that is slowly but surely leading you somewhere, and trust me, that journey is enthralling. Yes, it does feel a bit slow and rambling at times if you're used to faster-paced books that pretty much deliver everything into your lap from the get go, but this one book to be savored and taken in page by page as you however race to the ending to ...more
LeeAnna Lane
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pleasure and Mystery of The Secret Millionaire

When I started reading this book I wasn't sure I was going to like it at all· I had to put it down two or three times before I finally got into it. Once I was sure what was actually going on I could not put it down. In fact it is so interesting I am going to get the next book so I can find out what happens next to the boy Andrew Day, his friends Olivia and Cameron. But most of all how he fairs with the treasure.
Linda Felix
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a most entertaining book.
It was written with great intelligence.
The story line is vivid and I could not put this book down.
I cannot wait for the next continuation!
Azladybug
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read

I enjoyed this book very much. The characters were interesting and the story was filled with wonder and suspense.
I really enjoyed reading it.
Susan H Garris
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lucian Baker

This authors first writing is wonderful and fit for all ages beginning with teens to old age. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and hope to be able to read the sequel.
Tighe Doran
May 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this and after coming back to it several times thinking I wasn't giving it a chance, I realized it was going to be a slow ramble and I had to force myself to get through it. The writing was fine and in fact good, but the plot plodded along. I think half of it could have been cut and a faster pace would have helped. I wanted more from nearly all the secondary characters but time with them was elusive. By the end the payoff didn't seem enough. I felt like not enough happene ...more
Karen (BaronessBookTrove)
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow The Secret Billionaire by Teymour Shahabi was a really great book. I knew it would be when I read the plot of the book in the email by the author last year. This book by far is my favorite one of this year!

The book captivated me from that email and even more after I started the book. I have to say that this book was better than I thought it would be and it kept me trying to figure out who this Lucian Baker fellow was throughout the whole thing. The person who is Lucian Baker was definitely a
Mary Kincaid
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Secret Billionaire is a novel about a boy discovering his place in the world. He is given a scholarship to an exclusive school far from his foster care situation. He is a new kid discovering where he fits. He makes friends, has adventures, and finds a fortune.

I enjoyed this novel. The descriptions using the omniscient point of view are very poetic and entertaining to read. Reading the descriptions of the boy's thought processes as he uncovers the treasure accidentally held my attention. The
Alyssa Biedermann
Secret Billionaire

Very interesting book. Although it took longer than expected to read to no fault but my own, I enjoyed this book very much. It was suspense filled and entertaining. I look forward to additional books by this author.
Nadine
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Absolutely perfect writing!!! What a great read. I kinda figured out at the beginning who Lucian Baker was but the book kept me guessing why and how. I hope he writes a sequel because there are some loose ends. Great job on your first novel!! Happy Reading :)
A. Musquiz
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review coming soon
Nicole
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Middle school/ high school readers, lovers of action and mystery
** I received an advance copy of this book from the author so that I could write a review and get others excited for the publication of this book, scheduled for September 2016. I am grateful to the author for his generosity but this review is my own opinion, not impacted in any way by his action.**

-------------------
The Secret Billionaire is a middle grade or YA mystery novel. Being a debut, self-published novel it is not without its flaws. However the unique story, gripping scenes and unexpecte
Heidi Angell
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This doesn't feel like a debut novel. Not at all.

The story is very well thought out, there are no plot holes, the grammar is excellent, the world well built. Andrew Day is absolutely delightful and reminds me so much of my own teenage boys, and I think really gives you a look into Mr. Shahabi. I have been talking about this book as I read it at home, and my boys cannot wait to read it! I can't wait for them to read it! I expect that we will be seeing their reviews of it up here in a bit.

My boy
Tony Parsons
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Spring Forge. It took 4 yrs. to build the fabulous Surway House.
The Steward of the Surway household contacted the local, state, & federal authorities, to put out a APB on the missing Lyndon Surway (Billionaire industrialist/businessman). He/plane had disappeared.
Lyndon was considered deceased.

A trust fund had been opened at Metropolitan Savings Bank. The will had read each persons that were employed with the Surway Enterprises or its subsidiaries are granted a salary of equal income paid f
Brooke Banks
Review to come for the tour!
Kent Deron
Aug 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I will begin by saying I really enjoyed this story which obviously is the most important thing and I would recommend it to others.

The sense of mystery builds up slowly but there is more than enough going on to keep you turning the pages. The writing is very smooth and the author has a real talent for choosing just the right words. I particularly enjoyed the way the story slowly built up the world around you and the back stories attached to the characters.

Now and then I found myself smiling at s
Nadia Daley-Blake
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Story, but Please Consider Changing the Title and Republishing

Honestly, I would have skipped over this book had I not read the summary. Usually books which I define as smutt with the titles such as yours and the likes of it touting itself as a romance novel would not get a second glance from me. With that being said, I am glad I didn't judge the title too harshly and skip it without reading the summary. The writing style was great and while I semi figured out the ending ( though Andrew no
Angie Johnson
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
To be honest I had no idea until after I finished the book that this was considered YA fiction. I thought the title was intriguing so I started to read. I loved it!! And cudos to Mr. Shahabi for writing a YA novel that I will have no problem recommending to my YA readers. It was full of mystery and suspense, great characters, interesting plot, no sex, no drugs, no vampires... hard to find these days amid the YA shelves. I'm looking forward to a sequel.
Lori Wittman
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mystery novel and page turnerll

Loved "The Secret Billionaire". It was a great story, kept you turning the pages and hoping Andrew would find friends. Boy did he find friends. Some evil things happened and some great things happened. Read it, you will love it. I want a sequel on Andrew growing up, marrying and having children and giving them a life he never knew.
Charley
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes to a sequel!

I can't believe this was a 1st novel! It was great. I was so tired tonight but just had to finish this before bed. I've always thought about trying to write but when I read books like this so think there is no way I could ever do something like this. I think for now, I'll just stay an avid reader. Congrats on your 1st book and can't wait to read the next one!
Juliana
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enchanting

I debated rating this only four stars due to the abrupt, unsatisfying end. The story reminded me of Charlie in Willy Wonka or a Harry Potter minus the magic. I was enchanted. True, the solution to the mystery was fairly obvious and we are left hanging at the end, but the story is enchanting enough to deserve a read. Now Mr. Shahabi needs to get busy with book 2.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Making Connections: 4504. - THE SECRET BILLIONAIRE by Teymour Shahabi 15 47 Aug 23, 2016 11:27PM
Teymour Shahabi was born in Paris of Persian parents in 1985. He moved to the United States to study Comparative Literature and Mathematics at Harvard University. He lives in New York City where he’s spent the last few years among serious professionals, many of whom probably prefer to read nonfiction. "The Secret Billionaire" is his first published book.

You can find him at www.facebook.com/Teymou