Start by marking “The Operative (San Angeles, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Operative (San Angeles, #2)

The Operative

(San Angeles #2)

Second in a trilogy, this far-future science fiction is set in Los Angelesaction adventure with a cyberpunk tone.

Kris Ballards life changed irrevocably when, a year ago, she was targeted for termination by the Meridian corporation, one of the mega-conglomerates that controls the government in this dystopian future. She hid amongst the underground resistancebut now, right
Published November 1st 2016 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about The Operative, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Operative

Start your review of The Operative (San Angeles, #2)
Jeffrey
"The Operative", Gerald Brandt's follow-up to the action packed "The Courier" is a disappointment. Uneven and packed with sadistic torture scenes, this novel tries to do to many things. There is a nascent revolution, a revenge plot, a rescue story , an inventor with a super device, and a war between corporations. As readers, we do not need a linear plot but too many story lines muddies the waters making it difficult to latch onto the main characters. In addition, the torture seems gratuitous. ...more
Nicole Luiken
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
High action SF plot. As the middle book in the trilogy, the big plotline was still building, but Kris's personal stakes were quite high.

Quibble: Part of the ending annoyed me, but its a SPOILER so....
Shelley
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Young Adult, Science Fiction
*Rating* 3.5

*My Thoughts*

The Operative, by author Gerald Brandt, is the second installment in the San Angeles series. A series that takes place 100 years into the future. As I discussed in my view of The Courier, this is a world ruled, and dominated by Corporations. San Angeles is actually a place that stretches from San Diego to San Francisco. There are seven levels. The lowest levels are for the disinclined and others, while the top 3
Darin Calhoun
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beware the dark places of power and the fall of great men. They plunge those around them into the abyss that lurks inside us all.
piranha
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Oy. 1.5 stars rounded up solely for two major twists I didn't see coming.

So in the first book Kris was unusually competent for a 16-year-old untrained orphan eking out a living on the lower levels of CorporateLandWestCoast, outdoing the baddies as a matter of course.

In this second installment she's had a year of guerilla training and is consequently much LESS competent (but even more impetuous). Yeah, that makes no sense.

Furthermore, the book is filled with crazy people doing crazy things
David
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Joshua Palmatier
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
The Operative is the second book in Gerald Brandt's San Angeles sci-fi thriller series and it continues the story of Kris Merrill.

Premise: In The Courier, Kris finds herself caught up in the politics of the corporations that rule a near future Earth, as well as the heavens above, when she accidentally witnesses a murder while delivering a package. She survives--because she's a survivor--but she can't return to life as a courier now. Instead, she's become involved in the resistance, training to
Jason
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have to say that this title really surprised me. I chose it solely based on the cover without further research, so when I began reading it I did not know that it was the second in a series. Despite this, I really enjoyed it. The entire world has that Demolition Man meets Judge Dredd feel, and you can't go wrong with that. I really felt for the heroine of the story, but the villain just didn't measure up for me. I will definitely be going back to read the first one, and then give this another ...more
Cam
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-sci-fi
Derivative, trite, and treacly second San Angeles thriller featuring a former courier, her love interest, on old family friend and the cook from her training center. Her anti-corporate organization is compromised and it's former manipulator is after her for ruining his career ambitions. Things get worse, including the stilted dialogue and unoriginal expositions. Not going to recommend even for fans of YA-oriented futuristic thrillers. Blah.
Linsela
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: disappointing
The story line was weird - some crazy guy is out to get her ... for what? I suppose he's nuts, so doing nutty things is okay. Plus Kris totally ignores that a rebellion is occurring, but happily allows rebels to die helping her in her single-minded obsession.

I suppose in some sense it is the same "President Snow/Katniss Everdeen" battle, but in The Hunger Games, Katniss was a symbol of a rebellion wanting Snow dead.

In this book, Kris is a symbol of nothing!
D.F. Haley
Jul 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
This was just bad. I was intrigued by this world in the first book, but this sequel left me feeling annoyed and disgusted. the characters became one dimensional, their motivations were inconsistent and made little sense, and the plotting was unbelievable. I can't believe I actually read the whole book. yuck.
Hayden Trenholm
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf
Second books of trilogies are often the weakest of the three. Brandt avoids that sophomore jinx with The Operative. The same pounding action but with more complexity to the character exploration. Looking forward to the conclusion.
Johnny King
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Feel like it's a 4.5 for me. Ending felt a little rushed.
Peter Langevin
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good sequel

Was every bit as good as the first installment. Couldn't stop turning the page. Twists and turns everywhere. I cannot wait to read the next installment
Karen
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
The pacing was slow, and I kept losing interest. Then I would pick it up again and finally finished it. I liked the World that was pictured but wanted better word smithing.
Nicholas Anderson
Aug 07, 2018 rated it liked it
The first book was better. This one kinda drags on.
Phillip III
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I discovered Gerald Brandt by pure accident. I'd won a copy of THECOURIER on Goodreads. The cover was what caught my eye, initially. Once I started reading, however, I knew this would be an author I'd keep tabs on. Having just finished reading THE OPERATIVE, Book 2 in the San Angeles Series, I mean literally just finished reading it, I wanted to dive right in and write my review.

THE OPERATIVE takes place about a year after THE COURIER. Kris Merrill has joined ACE, and is in Canada for boot
Peter
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
After the events of The Courier, Kris is now in training for an anti-corporation group, but old enemies with a grudge still want her dead.

I received this book for free from a giveaway. It did not affect my review, except in that I would not have read this book if I had not. The first one wasn't my thing enough to want to follow it up.

I didn't hate that first book, but it wasn't great, and there were some big flaws. This book contains virtually all of those flaws, only it manages to be worse in
Andrew
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic follow-up to the first book in the "San Angeles" series, and I sincerely hope it continues to a book 3, book 4, and beyond.

With the three major corporations gong to war (not a major spoiler, as it mostly happens in the background), and Kris, the protagonist, freshly inspired to fight for the common people by the end (again, not really a spoiler), a third book is certainly set up.

We also meet new characters, learn a lot more about some existing characters, and see more of the
Aildiin
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi, novels
The first book in the serie showed promise but the second doesn't deliver.
There's no additional world building and the motivation of the characters doesn't really seem logical.
Dave Russell
Zach Korab
Apr 05, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• Delta-V
  • Sandworm: A New Era of Cyberwar and the Hunt for the Kremlin's Most Dangerous Hackers
  • Veracity
  • Where the Hell is Tesla?
  • MindWar
  • Game Changer
  • Der Bücherdrache (Zamonien)
  • Gigi Make Paradox
  • Don't Touch the Blue Stuff! (Where the Hell is Tesla? #2)
  • The 1-Page Marketing Plan: Get New Customers, Make More Money, And Stand out From The Crowd
  • Ripple (Breakthrough, #4)
  • Give and Take: A Revolutionary Approach to Success
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan, #1)
  • Rosewater (The Wormwood Trilogy, #1)
  • Storm of Locusts (The Sixth World, #2)
  • Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1)
  • Take a Thief (Valdemar #25)
  • Forged in Fire (Destiny's Crucible #4)

San Angeles (3 books)
  • The Courier (San Angeles, #1)
  • The Rebel