Start by marking “The Truth War: Fighting for Certainty in an Age of Deception” as Want to Read:
The Truth War: Fighting for Certainty in an Age of Deception

The Truth War: Fighting for Certainty in an Age of Deception

Right now, truth is under attack, and much is at stake. Perhaps no one in America is more passionate than John MacArthur about exposing those who are mounting this attack―especially those bringing the assault right into the church.

There is no middle ground―no safe zone for the uncommitted in this war. The battle for truth is raging, and this book reveals:

The pitfalls of po
Published April 1st 2007 by Thomas Nelson (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Truth War, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jim Eisele It has always been an important issue....now so more than ever!

Start your review of The Truth War: Fighting for Certainty in an Age of Deception
Ed Hensley
Aug 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christians
Very deep theological book. The author starts to get a little redundant toward the end. But writing a 185 page book based primarily on the short epistle of Jude would tend to be that way. The author doesn't seem to pull any punches though, and calls out apostates whoever they may be and however "famous" they may be. It made me vary aware of how many half-truths are out there, often preached from the best known pulpits. He conforts the reader somewhat, however by letting you know that false teach ...more
Linda
Apr 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all born-again Christians.
Callie
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014
I highly recommend this book for any Christian. This book is an encouragement to Christians to be defenders of the truth of God's Word, and to look at ideas and doctrines with an eye for discerning the truth by comparing those ideas to God's Word. I thought this book was excellent, and it left me inspired to study Scripture more carefully and speak out against ideas that do not line up with Scripture.
Rod
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: apologetics
This will forever be one of my favorite books.

I love how John used the Book of Jude to focus in on our need for Biblical and theological Truth. Very inspiring. I imagine most of Christianity would despise this book and its teaching - it cuts to the core of everything modern church goers are destroying (and mostly that's clear Biblical teaching.)

Thanks John for saying what many are afraid to even think. :D
Rachel
May 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every Christian
This is a REALLY good book. I'm only in the first chapter, but I have understood more out of the first thirty pages of this book than the whole book of "Postmodern Times". It's written in plain English that anyone can understand, and what's more, Pastor MacArthur uses Bible verses to back up the message that he presents in the book. This is probably the third best book I've read in my life (first of course the Bible, then 'Lord, Teach Me to Pray'). I totally recommend this to everyone.
Ed
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
John MacArthur is not afraid to tell the truth and confront false teaching. Christians should read this book and examine their own beliefs and practices along with their church to make sure that false teaching has not crept into their lives or their ministries. The only thing that kept me from giving a 5 star approval is the lack of a Scripture index and a General Index. This book needs to be referred to often in examining other people's teaching to see if it is in accord with the Word of God.
E
Jun 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
This book is really good. He really is one of only a few modern day Men of God to boldly proclaim truth regardless of of what public opinion will be. Very educational and edifying. Highly recommend it.
Dorothy
Jan 23, 2008 is currently reading it
so far, i've found it to be a really hard-hitting look at some watered-down approaches to gospel presentation in our day
Becky
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is so much in this book of which the “average” Christian is probably not aware. At least I wasn’t! “Rightly dividing the truth” means so much more than reading God’s Word - studying it is essential, particularly to prevent deceit. Having read this book, I understand the meaning and danger of apostasy. I recommend this book to all of my Christian brothers & sisters. ...more
Eclaghorn
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
A strong refutation of postmodernism and the 'emergent' church.
Dkovlak
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a short but powerful book.

The author’s main point is that the Bible is truth! It is the one and only truth. Those that depart from any words, thoughts, or content of the Bible are departing from the one and only truth.

Those that depart from the truth are liars and false prophets. Today’s culture is overflowing with such people. We have to be discerning. Sometimes these falsehoods sounds very attractive from a worldly standpoint.
Jeanie
Mar 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Why is the truth important, because it will determine what Jesus we embrace. One that we made in our own image or the one that is revealed in the whole word of the bible. In today's christianity especially in the U.S, Solomon's wise advice has never been more timely Proverbs 23:23...Buy the truth, and do not sell it. Truth is what which is consistent with the mind, will character, glory and being of God..truth is the self-expression of God. location 224 (kindle edition). The book goes into depth ...more
Noel Burke
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You owe it to yourself to go through this book if you consider yourself a Christian and is weak on knowing what they believe and why. This book is a great way to show the Christian what the Bible says about knowing what you believe, why you believe it, and making a case for defending it. I have heard much of the content of this book in other books and sermons, but this is a good starting point if you have never considered it. I downloaded and listened to this for free on the Library website with ...more
Richard
Oct 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
Truth is discernible from Scripture. Truth matters. Much of of the New Testament assails false doctrine. For a number of identified reasons, apostasy has crept into the modern church. Believers fail to realize it and therefore do not respond appropriately. In sum, this is a call for discernment and a reminder to "speak[] the truth in love."
Denton
Nov 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: apologetics
This book is highly recommended for someone who doesn't understand or see the current state of Christianity in America
Terri
Feb 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
It is very good and recommend it.
Jason Grant
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Damon Gray
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Never one to pull his punches (even when, arguably, he should) John MacArthur delivers a strong polemic in this volume, defending truth, but not just confronting error, but venturing into the arena of "half-truth." Also in MacArthuresque fashion, a strong proponent of biblical truth, he makes regular use of scripture to buttress his points. While, at times, I find MacArthur's dogmatism off-putting, I also deeply respect a man or woman who stands on and speaks from conviction.

If you're a MacArth
Amanda Rae
Nov 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Good. Fine. Yep. Typical of John MacArthur. I agree and I like what he has to say. Wish sometimes he had a more...pleasant or less dogmatic way of putting it (some of his assumptions about how "every postmodern person" thinks were so outrageous and over-generalized I laughed out loud!). But all in all, I appreciate his willingness to really look at our culture and see how Satan is waging war with it.
Ronald L Brown
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very powerful and timely book on exposing false doctrine.

Even though this book is several years old, it is more needed now than ever. Evangelical Christians are woefully unprepared to deal with the polite and friendly heretic who is writing books and preaching false doctrines.
Matt Witten
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
MacArthur is straightforward, passionate, and biblically based. At times he goes on personal crusade tangents and can be a bit dramatic despite his own distaste for flair, but the overall message is well-delivered and crucial for Christians. Discerning and truth filled, it’s extremely relevant and needed in today’s Christian culture.
Chase Dunn
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is great in confronting the postmodern view of truth that is all to prevalent in our culture, and sadly, in the church. You will find a helpful mix of commentary on primarily the epistle if Jude and a polemic against the emergent church movement, the disdain for discernment and objective truth, and practical application of right thinking about discernment and truth. Highly recommend.
Tony
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nice, hard hitting, convicting book. It really made me think about how I stand for God and Christian truth, convicting me of compromising with the world too much, and of maybe sometimes assuming I need to soften the Gospel message to make it more palatable for non-Christians. Also, nice seeing such a long and thorough application of the book of Jude.
Anthony
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Truth and nothing but the Truth

A Good read with the book of Jude further explained. The truth is the truth and a lie a lie. God is the way , the truth and the life. That is it ! If we are to be martyred for it, so be it.
Dan Wilson
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great book that exposes "teaching and writing that promotes alternative Christian histories, emerging faulty thinking, and a cultural push to eliminate absolute truth altogether". This is a must read for all Christians today as it warns us of the dangers the church faces in this world. Much of the "church today" openly rejects the teachings of the Bible and embraces all that the world has to offer. This is a warning most of those in the "church" have ignored and are poised to receive the penal ...more
Isaac David
Clear and Challenging

In a day and where it does seem that even in the church, "truth is relative", John challenges and reminds a believer that this is a war of straight clear truth and we better be on the right side defending it.
Kyle Steele
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another MacArthur Classic!

A Solid exposition of Jude's warning to contend for the faith once for all delivered to the saints! I highly recommend this book.
Rod Innis
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
More people need to read this kind of book.
I really enjoyed it.
Garett Brackett
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Strong biblical doctrine throughout. Awesome understanding of the war churches are fighting today. Truth is measured in these writings and found wanting by most of our current churches.
Reader
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audio version. I don't know if I missed out on a lot or not. This audio is an abridged version.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Christian Readers: finding the truth of Christianity. 30 67 Aug 13, 2012 06:12PM

• Coronavirus and Christ
  • What Is Reformed Theology?: Understanding the Basics
  • Profiles in Corruption: Abuse of Power by America's Progressive Elite
  • Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire: What Happens When God's Spirit Invades the Heart of His People
  • How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth
  • The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief
  • The Holiness of God
  • The Meeting Place (Song of Acadia, #1)
  • The New Evidence That Demands a Verdict
  • My Utmost for His Highest
  • Trusting God: Even When Life Hurts
  • Humility: The Journey Toward Holiness
  • The Second Sleep
  • The Kingdom of the Cults
  • The Theft of America’s Soul: Blowing the Lid Off the Lies That Are Destroying Our Country
  • Blindside (Michael Bennett, #12)
  • Chosen By God: Know God's Perfect Plan for His Glory and His Children
  • The Hole in Our Gospel: What Does God Expect of Us? the Answer That Changed My Life and Might Just Change the World
John F. MacArthur, Jr. is a United States Calvinistic evangelical writer and minister, noted for his radio program entitled Grace to You and as the editor of the Gold Medallion Book Award winning MacArthur Study Bible. MacArthur is a fifth-generation pastor, a popular author and conference speaker and has served as pastor-teacher of Grace Community Church in Sun Valley, California since 1969, and ...more

News & Interviews

“A similar attitude causes some people to spurn the use of commentaries and similar resources in their Bible study, as if their own uninformed first impression is just as good as careful study using reference tools. It is becoming more and more common all the time to hear people say, 'I don't read commentaries and books about the Bible. I limit my study to the Bible itself.' That may sound very pious, but is it? Isn't it actually presumptuous? Are the written legacies of godly men of no value to us? Can someone who ignores study aids understand the Bible just as well as someone who is familiar with the scholarship of other godly teachers and pastors?” 2 likes
“The one most valuable lesson humanity ought to have learned from philosophy is that it is impossible to make sense of truth without acknowledging God as the necessary starting point.” 1 likes