Start by marking “Usagi Yojimbo: Senso” as Want to Read:
Usagi Yojimbo: Senso

Usagi Yojimbo: Senso

(Usagi Yojimbo)

Hace unos treinta años, mientras garabateaba en su cuaderno de bocetos, el dibujante Stan Sakai dibujó un conejo estilo samurái con largas orejas atadas como en un moño, y nació Miyamoto Usagi. Ahora, con casi doscientos números publicados de Usagi Yojimbo, múltiples recopilaciones en formato novela gráfica,y una serie derivada protagonizada por el futurista Space Usagi, ...more
Published February 1st 2016 by Planeta Comic (first published May 6th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Usagi Yojimbo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Usagi Yojimbo

Start your review of Usagi Yojimbo: Senso
Sam Quixote
Senso is Usagi Yojimbo crossed with HG Wells’ War of the Worlds – ok, why not?

Set towards the end of Usagi’s life, the book opens with a final, massive battle against the evil Lord Hikiji. But as the fighting heats up, a giant bullet-shaped vessel crash lands in the middle of the battlefield! Out of the shell emerges laser cannons that immediately begin decimating the feudal Japanese forces and then three-legged machines with tentacles and guns start laying waste to everything – will Usagi and
Morgan
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Probably the weakest Usagi story I've read. I honestly didn't see a point in this mini-series. Sure it had it's fun moments, but ultimately it gives nothing.
billyskye
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun little bridge between the Usagi Yojimbo and Space Usagi universes. Stan Sakai plays fast and loose with his beloved creations/long-running plot points, which nearly rustled my jimmies. Thankfully, he steps back from the edge in the nick of time. <-- I sure know how to pack in them idioms… like sardines. This guy, huh?
Kim Wong
Feb 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, fiction
Because it's a War of the Worlds homage many years beyond where Usagi Yojimbo currently is, Senso is able to provide resolutions to character development that the main book would not be able to for years, if ever at all. And the thrill of samurai fighting Martians and steam powered mecha fighting a Walker provide a great sense of scale to the book.
Sharon
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Love the H.G. Wells crossover set in Usagi's future. Usagi Yojimbo will always be a favorite. Be warned that In battle there is death.
John
Oct 31, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, but ultimately empty.
Andreas Sekeris
The intro tells you this is intended to be some silly fun, which it is. Pretending war-of-the-worlds type aliens attack feudal Japan and fighting against them. Ties up the end of many of the characters, but in a non-canon way, so hard to feel too invested in what happens to the people we love.

The battles and fighting were big dumb fun. This does miss the character work which normally makes Usagi Yojimbo 5 stars.
Alex
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american-indies
"Usagi Yojimbo" meets "War of the Worlds" by H.G. Wells. Medieval Japan Usagi fights an invasion from Mars. We see all of our favorite characters and, even if it's non-cannon, a decent ending to the whole revenge-on-lord-hikiji theme of Usagi since the start of the series. It has it all: intrigue, drama, action, robots, samurai, love story and of course, the legendary rhino, Gen!

Good one mr. Sakai, reminded me of your great tales of old.
Mrs. Hahn
Usagi is always good; there's no denying that. But I wasn't quite feeling this collection. Essentially, it's 15 years in the future from the usual "Samurai/Ronin animals in Feudal Japan" concept, and Usagi and company are interrupted by the invaders from War of the Worlds.

The character development is nice, and the fight scenes are beautifully drawn, but in all it's just kind of trivial.
Laurel
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read for any Usagi fan!
Brian
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, comics, m
It's a beautiful book and a very satisfying story. I hope that the main Usagi series comes to an official, complete end some day, but if that never happens, this will be a great stand in.
Evan
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
kinda morbid and cynical (also silly) but the ending is cute and kinda wipes away all that
Thomas
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel, 2015
Usagi Yojimbo. I can't really say enough good about the character and his stories. I've recommended the comic to a lot of people over the years, and I have yet to hear back from any of them to tell me they didn't like it. Usagi is an honor-bound ronin in feudal Japan, so most of the stories are short morality plays that teach a lesson while also being engaging, interesting, and accessible to readers of all ages. It's a brilliant comic, and it's no surprise to me that the comic has been going ...more
Kyle Wright
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a big fan of Stan Sakai's work, I was eager to read this War of the Worlds adaptation. Just as I've come to expect, the artwork was fantastic, exceptionally so in part 6 of this story. My biggest qualm is that, while Stan is known for his stories, this particular series is light on story and full of action, often rushing from battle to battle without taking a moment to develop the emotional context, so any of the emotional moments just dropped in quickly and disappeared just as fast. This ...more
Clayton
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, sci-fi
Like everything that Stan Sakai does, this is well-done and interesting. I wasn't sure if it's supposed to be the official "end" of the characters or not, so I approached it as a sort of "Elseworlds" Usagi story. Mashing up "War of the Worlds" with a samurai story is an odd idea, but it works fairly well and is totally worth a read if you're a Usagi fan. But it doesn't have the same kind of emotional depth that the best Usagi stories have. So it's only pretty good, instead of awesome.
Vickey Foggin
A non-canon miniseries set 20 years in Usagi's future. What if the martians from War of the Worlds invaded Japan first? Basically an excuse for Stan to draw some awesome spaceships and aliens and a huge MECHA USAGI...I laughed out loud when this made its appearance. A bit overwrought with revelations and deaths and unrequited love but if you can't pull out all the dramatic stops in a non-canon miniseries WHEN CAN YOU? A fun read!
Nancy
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-fantasy
Feudal-era samurai society meets War of the Worlds. And it's pretty epic! Lots of long-running characters make appearances, and the whole thing acts as an alternate universe conclusion to the UY universe. As an AU it's great, but because Certain Things Happen I'm glad it's not the actual conclusion.
Nick Nguyen
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Based on reading the 6 issue mini-series in one go, as opposed to the tpb).

Great homage to Japanese monster films, H.G. Wells, and to Sakai's own Usagi universe(s). If you've been with Usagi Yojimbo for the past 30 years, you'd be hard-pressed not to get misty by the end.
Jason
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Usagi Yojimbo meets H.G. Wells's War of the Worlds? What's not to love?!

Yes the final chapter is exceedingly silly, but perfectly suited to a story set in Japan.

Great art. Great story. Great fun.
Paul Hasbrouck
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Another brilliant story by Stan Sakai, the art is wonderful, The Martians are a evil lot, ours and some villains give their all( here the reader might shed a tear or two) to destroy these invaders. Is this alternate world, Elseworld, or just plain comic book fun. Let the reader decide:)
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This one continually surprised me from the beginning until the end, but generally in the best sorts of ways.
Matthew
Really enjoyable. I do wish that it had been in color.
Alex Firer
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sort of felt like "Usagi Yojimbo: The Movie"! There we go. My most involved criticism yet. Anyway this was fantastic.
Ron Tucker
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this story. Fans of Stan Sakai's Usagi Yojimbo's long running tale, I think will really like this.
Adam
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Any time Miyamoto Usagi shows up on a page is a glorious thing. This book is no exception. Stan Sakai ' s line work and visual story telling is top notch and was a joy to read. I highly recommend it.
Michael
May 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As Usagi stories go, this isn't a favorite - it lacks the subtlety and humor of the regular series, but it's still a fun romp with great cartooning.
Ian Shaughnessy
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun read for fans of the series. I choked up a bit in the final few pages.
Miggy
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aww, jeez, this is one of the finest stories Stan Sakai has penned. This was truly a page-turner in ever sense of the word.
Albert
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Action-packed, fast-paced, and nostalgic ending of the Usagi Yojimbo saga --- all your favorite side characters make an apparance (brief or otherwise).
Micah
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic, hoopla
This book is fantastic. Everything Stan Sakai does is great. I really like how playful he is with the concept of putting "war of the worlds" in his world. The tone he strikes is perfect.

• Assassin Nation #4
  • Assassin Nation #3
  • Assassin Nation #5
  • Assassin Nation #2
  • Assassin Nation #1
  • High Fantasies (Rat Queens, #4)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Volume 1: Shell Unleashed (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, #1-3)
  • Ball Peen Hammer
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 4: Abomination
  • Frogcatchers
  • Demons (Rat Queens, #3)
  • Abe Sapien, Vol. 1: The Drowning
  • Abe Sapien, Vol. 2: The Devil Does Not Jest and Other Stories
  • Orbiter
  • Extremity, Vol. 2: Warrior
  • Extremity, Vol. 1: Artist
  • Sink or Swim (Lumberjanes, Vol. 6)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 3: The Chained Coffin and Others
Stan Sakai (Japanese: 坂井 スタンSakai Sutan; born May 25, 1953) is an artist who became known as an Eisner Award-winning comic book originator.

Born in Kyoto, Sakai grew up in Hawaii and studied fine arts at the University of Hawaii. He later attended the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California. He and his wife, Sharon, presently reside and work in Pasadena.

He began his career by lettering

Usagi Yojimbo (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 1: The Ronin (Usagi Yojimbo, #1)
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 2: Samurai (Usagi Yojimbo, #2)
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 3: The Wanderer's Road (Usagi Yojimbo, #3)
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 4: The Dragon Bellow Conspiracy (Usagi Yojimbo, #4)
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 5: Lone Goat and Kid (Usagi Yojimbo, #5)
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 6: Circles  (Usagi Yojimbo, #6)
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 7: Gen's Story (Usagi Yojimbo, #7)
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 8: Shades of Death (Usagi Yojimbo, #8)
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 9: Daisho (Usagi Yojimbo, #9)
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 10: The Brink of Life and Death  (Usagi Yojimbo, #10)