Start by marking “Stripes of the Sidestep Wolf” as Want to Read:
Stripes of the Sidestep Wolf

Stripes of the Sidestep Wolf

From the brilliant author of THURSDAY'S CHILD and WHAT THE BIRDS SEE comes a mesmerizing tale of a young man fighting his future, a young woman fighting her past, and a mysterious creature who teaches them something about survival.

Ever since Dad went off the deep end and decided he didn't need to work anymore -- insisting the Lord would provide -- Satchel O'Rye has felt
Published May 22nd 2007 by Candlewick Press (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Stripes of the Sidestep Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stripes of the Sidestep Wolf

Start your review of Stripes of the Sidestep Wolf
Anika Kelly
Dec 04, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Had to read this book for school and it was horrible! Not one person in my class enjoyed it! Storyline was boring, characters were boring, everything was just boring. I felt absolutely no connection to any of the characters either. Honestly it was one of the most painful reading experiences of my life!
Joni
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5*

Beautiful, beautiful prose beginning to end. Would expect nothing less from Sonya Hartnett. Shes become one of my favorite authors ever since I got to know her work in a YA class two years ago. She tackles a wide range of difficult and confusing emotions/themes, always in her own beautiful Sonya-esque way. As usual, the end gave me chills.
However, this work doesnt live up to her other works (Surrender,, Thursdays Child, Sleeping Dogs, etc.) It had so much potential, but didnt really live up
Hunter Falish
Satchel O'Rye is a 23 year old man who is still living with his parents in a small run down town with not a lot of hope. His parents used to run a gas station, but his father has recently become mentally ill, and he has shut down the station saying that god will provide what they need to live. Satchels mother carries the family on her small income, and Satchel tries helping out by working odd carpentry jobs here and there. Satchel basically becomes the man of the family, and one day while out in ...more
Alex
May 31, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: australian
Krissy Ronan
Jan 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
Meh.

This book got me into the belief that it is okay to put down a book and not continue reading it.

Young man - stuck between staying in comfort zone or moving out/on with his life
Emma Jacobs
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Olivia Reads
The ending was great, the rest was a chore.
Maddy Smith
Jan 04, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
nope, thank god it was quick.

seriously that shit with moke, no thanks.
Sarah Capon
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
A beautifully written slow burner that reminds the reader life is what you make it and to take pleasure in the little things.
Shelley
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I found this book on our library shelves and since I had really enjoyed the last Sonya Hartnett book I read, I decided to give it a try. I am so glad I did! The writing style is split between Satchel ORye and a creature that he spied one day when he was out in the bush. I know that sounds a bit odd but when you really pay attention to the story, it is a story about survival and their lives seem to parallel when you sit back and reflect on the story.

Other reviews have point out that story is slow
Lois
Dec 30, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while to get into this book, because I just couldn't see what it was trying to do until about halfway through. Having now finished it, I found I did enjoy it towards the end, and the premise and the writing were really quite good. I just wish she'd either hinted at what the mysterious animal was earlier, or given the book a more appropriate title, as I'm hard pressed to understand why they settled on this one. I'm also surprised it's classified as a young adult/children's bookseems ...more
Josie
Mar 09, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I don't remember what this was about, only that it wasn't very thrilling.

Re-read in February 2012: Bumping this up to 3 stars! Sure, not a lot goes on in terms of plot, but it's a nicely atmospheric read. Sonya Hartnett conjures up a dying Australian country town, and I like her descriptions of the scenery, the wildlife, and the people. It left me with a quiet feeling of hope after I'd finished reading. I do wonder at the title, though, when the thylacine is never once referred to as a "sidestep
Ardra Nair
May 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
I read this book but did not enjoy it or relate to it as much, because it was a little confusing for me. I could understand certain parts of the story such as the spotting of the weird creature, but it was a little jumbled for me. This is why I wouldn't elaborate on the story since I didn't really understand it. Overall, I found this book pretty average; it has the potential but I just couldn't understand it.
Brandy
A little bland and bleak--odd for the one book by Hartnett where the flyleaf uses the words "ultimately hopeful," because this seems one of the least hopeful of her titles. The characters don't really grow much and the situation seems as sluggish at the end as it was at the beginning. Heartbreaking in a lot of ways, but ultimately probably forgettable.
Kuniko
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-buy
This isn't my favorite Sonya Hartnett - but still a cut above other young adult fiction. A boy searching for identity, searching for meaning to his life in a dead town that can only see him for what his family has done. I didn't really like that the girl, Chelsea, isn't really that big of a part, but I think Satchel is an interesting and compelling character.
Kenmore SHS
Ruby
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Books by Sonya Hartnett always have deep and strange thoughts, but that's what I like so much about them. In Stripes of the Sidestep Wolf, the characters have pasts they regret and futures they dread, and it explains why they're the way they are. I don't think too many people can relate to this book, because it's sincere and the description of people is often overwhelming, but I enjoyed it.
Heather Browning
A beautiful, simple book. It lacks the shock value of some of her other work, which to me made for a better story. The flawed characters were honest and believable, the writing and descriptions intricate without being flowery. It is much more a piece about characters than a story, but does not suffer for it.
Wolf
Mar 27, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hartnett's descriptions of nature were far better than the majority of the book, and nothing really happened in terms of plot. The ending was VERY good, though, in comparison, and I would recommend anyone read the whole thing just for that. You also get a lot of facts about the Tasmanian tiger in here.
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Had to read it for a school project and it was AMAZING!!!I had only picked it out because it said it had something to do with animals on the book,but it was so much more then that.Although the beginning is super boring,I loved the rest of the book.
Kari
Dec 29, 2009 added it
Shelves: young-adult
Love this book - especially the way the author writes about the natural world and her masterful ending.
Australia, father/son conflict, extinct species, religious extremism, shifting point of view.
Angie
Jul 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
if you're feeling a bit weak in mental strength, don't read this book! it's quietly sad from beginning to halfway through the last page. the most cheerful thing is the sidestep wolf's situation and experiences.
i did actually like it,but i was in need of something funny when i read it.
Wolffang
Jan 08, 2009 rated it liked it
At first I was exicted about the book and the characters inside it. But as I read on, nothing happened. Nothing at all. Satchel is a nice kid but his life was pointless and boring. The only good part was at the end; it was the only exicting part.
Penny Poppleton
Jun 04, 2010 rated it liked it
This book gave me the best feeling of secret hope ever.
Maddie
Sep 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
its different... confusing at parts, and mind racing at others
Tressa
I lost interest in Stripes of the Sidestep Wolf and stopped listening.
Mary Ann
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is actually a young adult book, but beautifully written and not a typical happily ever after...making both my girls read it. This is what literature ought to be.
Courtney Johnson
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
It was just ok. i thought the ending was kind of wierd. I would have ended it differently...
Charlie Treadway
Aug 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Im not very far into this book but its fun so far!
.-.
Apr 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
Satchel O'Rye + Dying town + Courage + Thylacines + Religion + Crazy People + TOO MUCH Description = An Extremely Boring Book

• The Rip
  • Tomorrow, When the War Began (Tomorrow, #1)
  • Tiger
  • The Last Chance Hotel (Seth Seppi Mystery, #1)
  • The Blackwater Lightship
  • Wishing for Tomorrow: The Sequel to A Little Princess
  • Too Small to Fail
  • Face
  • Permanent Rose (Casson Family, #3)
  • A Boy and A Bear in a Boat
  • The Vanishing of Billy Buckle (Wings & Co #3)
  • The Times Extreme Survivors: 60 of the World's Most Extreme Survival Stories
  • Napoleon's Buttons: How 17 Molecules Changed History
  • The Sex Lives of Siamese Twins
  • Noah Barleywater Runs Away: A Fairytale
  • Ember (Awaken Online: Tarot #1)
  • Magicalamity
  • Tesla (Tesla Evolution #1)
Sonya Hartnett (also works under the pseudonym Cameron S. Redfern) is, or was, something of an Australian child prodigy author. She wrote her first novel at the age of thirteen, and had it published at fifteen. Her books have also been published in Europe and North America. Her novels have been published traditionally as young adult fiction, but her writing often crosses the divide and is also ...more