Start by marking “The Black Lotus (Shadow of the Ninja #1)” as Want to Read:
The Black Lotus (Shadow of the Ninja #1)

Read Book

The Black Lotus

(Shadow of the Ninja #1)

"Wonderful characters, unbelievable adventure . . . I loved this book." -- Eoin Colfer, author of the Artemis Fowl series

Ghost, Cormac, and Kate are not like other kids. Ghost can turn invisible, Cormac can run up walls, and Kate can talk to animals--all abilities that make them perfect for the Black Lotus, a training school for ninjas who are sworn to protect the world fr
Published September 27th 2016 by Scholastic (first published August 6th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Lotus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Lotus

Start your review of The Black Lotus (Shadow of the Ninja #1)
Matthew Lynch
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We read this to our son, who absolutely loved this book. He is now fully committed to becoming a ninja :) The book had him on the edge of his seat, barely breathing, until its dramatic conclusion. We reached out to the author who promptly replied and encouraged our son. Highly recommended!
Chris Callaghan
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a fantastic joy of an adventure. The great characters gel perfectly, building up to an almighty climax. A real treat for the secret ninja in all of us!
Julie
Great book - my son is going to love it and I'm glad to find an action book for him without objectionable material. I know he'll devour this book and any subsequent books in the series! ...more
Günter
- Für mich verspricht das Buch beim Einstieg (implizit nur), dass man darin viel über das alte Japan, Ninjas, Samurai ... und auch über Faschismus lernen könnte. Das passiert auch, keine Frage. Aber es könnte mehr sein.
- Dann aber steht der Thriller (eine wirklich sehr gute St
Niklas
Papas Review: Schwarzer Lotus ist wirklich ein sehr gutes Buch. Ich habe es meinem sehr (vor)belesenen neunjährigen Sohn vorgelesen. Und es hat uns von Anfang an extrem in seinen Bann gezogen. Für mich gibt es aber doch ein paar "ABER":
- Dann aber steht der Thriller (eine wirklic
Stephanie
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the future, the Empire runs the world. The Empire is a ruled by an evil overlord complete with all the trappings of feudal era Japan: Shoguns, Samurai and Ninjas. The only major country left standing is the United States and it's under attack. Kate, Ghost and Cormac find themselves recruited by a shadowy resistance organization known as the Black Lotus. Lord Goda seeks to unite the Moon Sword with the other two swords of Sarumara. This will make him an unstoppable force. A long time ago in Ja ...more
Talon Shuffler
THIS BOOK WAS SO GOOD!! This book has been sitting on my shelf for a while and I wasn’t expecting much because it is a middle grade BUT BOY WAS I PROVED WRONG. I loved it so much!! All the different elements in the book like time travel, superpowers, ninjas being cool as fuck, etc. were used so well in the story and made so much sense with the plot. The spacing of the story was also really good by it flowing really well. It left off where a sequel could eventually be written or not and stay a so ...more
Chelly Wood
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I plan to buy the other books in this series for my library. It's definitely a wonderful book, with an exciting and unique dystopian world. For all my library patrons who love Japanese anime and Japanese ninjas, this is the book I suggest for them. It's a heck of a good read! ...more
Lauren
WHERE IS THE REST Of THE SERIES I NEED CLOSURE 😂
ADesperateWriter
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the book could be for younger or older readers.
Lisa
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
X-men meets ninja samurai in a gripping tale of action and adventure set in a world where the Japanese Empire is striving for world dominance with only America remaining as resistance.
Aarian
Feb 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book was good. I loved reading it. It was a great choice and perfect length.
Tracy
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
A really fun read outside of my usual genres. I enjoyed the themes of friendship and loyalty. And I liked the blend of ninja and samurai in a global setting. I think my young son would enjoy it.
Elizabeth
A Samurai Empire has taken over most of the world. America is one of the last hold outs. Three teens - Ghost, Cormac and Kate - are recruited to join the Black Lotus, a training school for ninjas to protect against evil.
Anna (Ink of Books)
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bücherregal
Vorab: Dieses Buch wurde mir vom Carlsen-Verlag zur Rezension zur Verfügung gestellt.

Dies beeinflusst allerdings nicht im Geringsten meine Meinung.

WAS EIN TOLLES KINDERBUCH!

Ich kann wirklich sehr lange darüber philosophieren, WIE gut ich dieses Buch fand, allerdings kann ich es heute nicht so lang schreiben, aber versuchen wir es einfach!

Die Charaktere! DIE CHARAKTERE! Drei 13-Jährige mit verschiedenen und absolut coolen Superfähigkeiten, die für eine Ninja-Schule rekrutiert werden! EINE NINJA-S
Ms. Yingling
Nov 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Copy provided by Young Adult Books Central

Ghost comes from the slums of Brazil, Cormac an orphanage in Ireland, and Kate is living on the streets in the Bronx. All have unusual powers, which leads them to be recruited by Makoto. He is a representative of the Black Lotus society, who have stolen the Moon Sword from Lord Goda. Goda has two other swords, but getting the third would give him even more power in a dystopian society ruled by the Japanese. The Black Lotus has an organization devoted to
Nigel
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-ya
In a world dominated by the Samurai Empire, three children are recruited into a secret ninja army, part of a resistance network that guards a stolen sword coveted by Lord Goda. Cormac, Ghost and Kate all have amazing powers, but will they be enough when the sword is taken from their hidden school and refuge and they find themselves plunged back in time in a desperate race to save the last free corner of the world?

Amazing, cinematic adventure, full of groovy tech and strange magic as well as frie
E.R. Murray
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fabulous futuristic setting with flawed but feisty characters, this is a unique book that will appeal to both boys and girls. The time travel is well handled and plausible & the action is fast-paced and punchy. Cormac is my favourite character, though all have plenty of appeal. A great debut with lots of room to grow - looking forward to part 2!
Gee
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ninja action and time travel ... what more could you ask for in a satisfying adventure? Three great characters, each with special powers and plenty of courage, speed you through this tale filled with humour and heart. Really enjoyed it.
Vincent Ripley
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book review will be posted on blog soon http://www.mrripleysenchantedbooks.com/ ...more
Kristen Harvey
#readthemallthon
Anne Beardsley
Real title: Heirloom Superweapon Crisis (Shadow of the Guerrilla Superheroes #1)

Why not ninja?
1) They are superpowered beings who think and act like superheroes...albeit superheroes who've joined the Resistance against the world-conquering tyrannical Japan (think WWII gone bad).
2)No real martial arts, zen, listening to the light side of the Force, or any other real "ninja-flavored" motifs here. The fact the Resistance is based in Japan is the most ninja-esque thing about the way they operate.
Jamie
Seawood
The author gave me a free copy of the audiobook after a discussion on Twitter. This does not affect my review.

A great fast-paced ninja adventure! It's got an international cast, special abilities, gadgets, mystical swords, actual real-life ninjas...and an adorable mouse. It's pretty full-tilt and I think it would be a proper page-turner as a reading copy*. If it was in my library I'd be aiming at Y6/Y7 for the complexity level. I absolutely love the ending conflict, which I won't spoiler for you
Neo
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved reading this book, especially since it pulled me into its world. This book was packed with action and mystery but often had its humorous moments.

It was great reading a situation with teenagers who had different backgrounds and experiences, all thrown into the same position. It was really fun reading how each character dealt with the situation in their own way and experiencing some of the issues that would come with a similar situation in real life, such as language barriers.

The author ha
Rick Stuckwisch
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Not a bad book. We enjoyed it together. Interesting characters, intriguing scenario, and the basic plot is fine. But I felt like it tried to do too much in the scope of a single novel, and, as a consequence, it didn't develop things with much depth or nuance. It seemed rushed, and significant challenges and difficulties were more or less easily dealt with (especially in comparison and contrast to the build-up and drama involved). Overall, the story ended up far more superficial than it might hav ...more
Colin McArdle
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
From Brazil, from Ireland, from the USA, Ghost, Cormac and Kate are brought together to fight the evil Lord Goda. Each of the three has a talent. More than that: a power. For Ghost, it's the power of invisibility, Kate can communicate with animals and Cormac has super speed.

When their abilities come to the attention of the mysterious Makoto, the kids are inducted into the Black Lotus, an organization devoted to bringing down Lord Goda. Unfortunately, Lord Goda has survived unharmed for the last
Wilde Sky
Three young people (all with special powers) are recruited to join a secret‎ society which is fighting an evil force that is trying to take over the world.

I couldn't really engage with this book - the writing was not sharp enough for me and there were too many mystical / super powers.

Real rating 2.5
Kim
Dec 12, 2016
Janka
rated it it was ok
Jan 14, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Ballet Shoes
  • The Last Archer (Green Ember Archer #1)
  • The Wreck & Rise of Whitson Mariner (Tales of Old Natalia, #2)
  • The Explorer
  • My Side of the Mountain (Mountain, #1)
  • Henry and the Chalk Dragon
  • Journey to the River Sea
  • The Dragonfly Pool
  • The Castle of Tangled Magic
  • The Case of the Raging Rottweiler (Hank the Cowdog, #36)
  • Every Dog Has His Day (Hank the Cowdog, #10)
  • The Case of the Swirling Killer Tornado (Hank the Cowdog, #25)
  • The Case of the Midnight Rustler (Hank the Cowdog, #19)
  • The Vanderbeekers and the Hidden Garden (The Vanderbeekers, #2)
  • The Case of the Kidnapped Collie (Hank the Cowdog, #26)
  • The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #0)
  • Bear Grylls World Adventure Survival Camp (Bear Grylls Books)
  • Emil and the Detectives
By day, Kieran Fanning is a primary school teacher who enjoys helping his pupils to write, illustrate and publish their own books. By night, he writes his own stories, and has published a series of interactive puzzle books for children, as well as school textbooks. He has an MA in Children’s Literature and lives with his wife and two children in County Meath, Ireland. The Black Lotus is his first ...more

News & Interviews