Start by marking “Lady with a Black Umbrella” as Want to Read:
Lady with a Black Umbrella

Lady with a Black Umbrella

Lady with a Black Umbrella is the digital reissue of a previously published and long out-of-print novel by New York Times bestselling author Mary Balogh.

Giles Fairhaven, Viscount Kincade, does not believe his life can get much worse after his purse is stolen at an inn before he has paid his bill and when he is set upon by three ruffians in the inn yard before he can leav
Published February 8th 2016 by Class Ebook Editions Ltd. (first published September 5th 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Lady with a Black Umbrella, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady with a Black Umbrella

Start your review of Lady with a Black Umbrella
Dina
May 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful book! There's really no other adjective to describe it. This was one of the funniest reads I've had, and I found myself smiling, chuckling and laughing the whole time.

Giles and Daisy were both adorable. Giles didn't know what to do with her at first but, little by little, she made a place in his life - and his heart - and, before he realized it, he couldn't see himself living without her. Ms. Balogh has done an excellent job showing Giles and Daisy's slow but steady growing aff
StMargarets
This was adorable. Fast-paced and lighthearted, this is a reissue of one of Balogh's Signet Regency stories. The lady in the title is the heroine, who tried to save the hero from a beating at a coaching inn armed only with a black umbrella. The hero had his purse stolen and had to leave IOUs for everyone at the inn - including the prostitute who had entertained him the night before. Since the heroine couldn't save the hero from a black eye, she did one better and paid all of his bills. (Without ...more
Leona
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, regency
This is definitely a treasure. I could not stop laughing. Much lighter than Silent Melody, Heartless, Dancing with Clara, or The Secret Pearl, but still very enjoyable.

I am so glad that MB's backlist is being republished in ebooks. I have loved her earlier work, but unfortunately not all were available in libraries.

Desi
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun and light hearted. Which is unusual for those who know Balogh's habitual style. Relatively mild pontification here and there from the vicar-to-be brother of the hero. Heroine was occasionally a bit TSTL, but she was inherently charming.

The situations featured were far-fetched and the sisters being taken under the wing of a respectable woman would have been nigh unto impossible, but, going with the flow of the story, it was a super fun, quirky read.

Definite mood booster with lots of laughs.
Linda
While staying at an inn, and through a serendipitous series of events, Miss Daisy Morrison saved Giles, Viscount Kincade, from thugs intent on hurting him. He had already had issues with a thief and had no money. Without further thought, she comes to the rescue with her voice, fists and a large men's black umbrella. Hence, the title of the story.

Lord Kincade had promised the innkeeper he would pay all of his debts as soon as he returned home. Of course, Daisy didn't know this, so she not only pa
Ceki
4.5 stars rounded up to 5 because this book made me laugh so many times that I stopped counting! A surprisingly delightful read.

If you are in a bad mood and would like something light, fluffy and romantic - choose this one. I would have never thought that Balogh would be able to pull off this kind of humor because her recently released books are nothing like that. This one reminded me of Georgette Heyer. There is basically no angst in it, just delightful banter and funny action.

Daisy did come o
Jannah (Cloud Child)
3.5/5

Hilarious and yet frustrating. I'm smiling ferociously on the inside.

The heroine Daisy, is the most agonisingly stupid cow, with a crusading streak, as if the world couldn't stand on its own feet, without her propping it up.

Usually the "stronger" the heroine the better (us girls gotta stick up for ourselves or someone is gonna tell us we can't fight off highway men with an umbrella). But Daisy..just made me cringe laugh while wanting to bang my head against the wall.

Surprisingly its an e
Andrea
Mh. Not my favorite Balogh book. I ended up skipping passages from the heroine's point of view because she annoyed me to no end, but loved the rest of the story.

I guess I just wasn't in the right mood to enjoy the heroine's crazy antics. I know most people found her charming, but to me, she was just annoying. She was really oblivious, going on and on and ON about how now one could love her because she's just so old (25), managing, and annoying. She freely admits that logic and thinking things th
Megzy
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lady with a Black Umbrella is the perfect book when you need a break from your denser and darker reads. It is fast-paced, clever and often humorous. If you like strong characters that pop right off the page, Daisy is your girl. She is pretty much a terror and between getting in the way and deciding to "help", she turns everyone's life upside down.
Anna D.
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hr
4.5 stars. Cute. Very very cute.

Daisy, our heroine, reminds me very much of an Amanda Quick heroine. She’s a trouble magnet, a bit reckless, and she sort of lives by her own rules where her actions are not based on propriety or the rules of conduct but by what she feels is necessary, right, and intuitive. We feel the frustration of those around her, but we also love her because she is selfless – almost to her own detriment. These types of “wild” heroines are paired perfectly to starchy heroes a
Grace
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, historical
Like most of Mary Balogh's TSTL heroines, you either love them or you don't.

Either I wasn't in the mood for the heroine or for the book, but this book just didn't speak to me. My favorite of Mary Balogh's TSTL heroines is Josephine Middleton, who causes all sorts of ruckus by being the flakiest Regency heroine in the world. Daisy, on the other hand, was annoying to me in her inability to see how much she was ticking off Giles. The fact that they ended up together was surprising in the extreme. H
Mara
Jul 07, 2016 rated it liked it
3 1/2

It's truly a good writer the one who makes you love her story even when you hate her heroine (a stupid, stupid conceited dumb ass). Did I say she's really stupid? But I couldn't stop smiling. Weird, I found myself in the hero's shoes. I don't think it had ever happened before...
Netanella
Argh...I wanted my own black umbrella to smack Daisy with. How utterly annoying a character she was. Unfortunately, I found no humor in her personality.
Ilze
Very, very funny. Delightful, if quite obtuse, heroine and wonderful hero who would dearly love to rid himself of the pest (the heroine), but somehow always ends up being even more deeply involved with her.
Mela
I have a great time with this book. Thank you, Linda, for your tip!

It was the best of Mary Balogh I have read (as for now). I hope that there are more of her Regency romances that are as charming as this one. Some of her romances are a bit too modern and too serious as to me - I liked them but I prefer as lovely and funny as "Lady with a Black Umbrella".

The story of Daisy and Giles (and their families) was hilarious. I not only grinned but often laughed out loud. From the first to the last scene
Sruthi
Yet another underrated treasure of Balogh's . I could not stop laughing , I never did take Balogh to write something so light hearted and lively . Thoroughly satisfying read ♥️
kate
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Daisy Morrison was the key to this story. She either made you laugh or you thought she was tstl. I laughed out loud several times so it was 4 stars for me. An easy and fun read.
OLT
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This old Balogh Regency, from 1989, is a somewhat cute and entertaining rom-com. I have to agree with those reviewers who said it starts out strong and weakens as it moves along. This is between a 2- and a 3-star book for me but it has some fun turns of phrases that made me decide to go for the higher rating.

Heroine Daisy Morrison and her younger sister Rose are the well-off daughters of a deceased baron who made his money in coal and lived far from the tonnish life in London. Daisy is taking Ro
Tina
Mar 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pure, unadulterated fluff. And so fun to read.

Unlike the other Balogh regencies that I have been reading that have some serious themes and angsty heroes/heroines, this one is straight fun and humor.

The heroine Daisy is the daughter of an obscenely wealthy baron who died and left his daughters as his heiresses. Daisy has never married and thinks of herself as an aging spinster with lots of sense. She will tell this to everyone and anyone who will listen, except those listeners often look at the l
Sue
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.00, This was old school MB writing (first published in 89). Fun, adventuresome female saving a lord from possible death and definitely from being badly beating.

Lots of fun, a stick straight lord somehow dealing with a woman with no regard to her reputation which adds to the enjoyment. At times our girl takes it into her head that she knows best and runs headlong into scandal. Just fun enjoyment, but it wasn't quite the writing of the Slightly Series but still very decent by the speed I read i
Ileane Hernandez
Mar 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Funny puff piece

Breezed through the book. Definitely a fun book to read. You will need to suspend some reality, especially if you're used to accurate historical romance, but it's not an impossible task. You'll laugh at the antics, as the characters have their faults, but don't look for anyone to learn a lesson. I think the secondary characters were deeper than the protagonists. I think I will prefer to think that marriage will temper them eventually.
Rebekah
**DNF*** Just could not stand the heroine. Very annoying and stupid with a savior complex. Arabella on crack.
M.A. Nichols
I really, really enjoyed the first half of the book. The combination of the hero and heroine is terrific. The heroine is so delightfully oblivious to the series of scandals she leaves in her wake. And the hero gets easily embarrassed, which makes for an interesting combination.

I also liked the side characters. Usually, I'm not a fan of the romantic side story, mostly because they aren't fleshed out enough to be interesting in and of themselves, so they tend to feel as though they're just taking
Natalija
This was a fun read & so unusual from what Ms. Balogh usually writes. I really liked the main characters, although Daisy isn't really the type of heroine I prefer to read about. Poor Giles, his life certainly will not be boring! I gave it only 3 stars because I prefer less humorous romance. This book didn't capture me completely. As a result I stretched it out and it took me 4 days to finish it. If you are looking for a great humor, hilarious situations and a sweet love story, this is the book f ...more
Christa Schönmann Abbühl
I bought this because it was cheap and I like regency. I found it an easy read and finished it. Which I do not always do with Romance these days. It had all the right ingredients and I was entertained. But there was nothing new or special about it. The truth is: I want to read Heyer and Veryan. And I have not yet found anyone who can do for me what they did. Adding some sexy times just isn't enough.
Georgie-who-is-Sarah-Drew
For some reason, this Balogh just worked for me - she's always a reliable writer, and I rarely don't enjoy her books, but there can be a sameness to them. But in this, the Lady herself is very engaging, and her reluctant love-interest is sympathetic. I'll go back to this one.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Quirky and unique in some interesting ways, I enjoyed Lady with a Black Umbrella, though I didn't really ship the ship which kept this one from being a real hit for me.

The opening threw me a bit, because I wasn't sure whether I would end up liking this heroine. In that sense, it reminded me a bit of Parks and Recreation's first season, where it's unclear whether the show is merely going to lambast Leslie for being determined and caring too much and being goofy without necessarily being totally a
Tully Ehlers
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an wonderful book...Loved each word and moment. Laughed, laughed a lot. I just love this funny books byMary Balogh.
SidneyKay
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-regency
Yes, This is a Funny Mary Balogh!

Lady with a Black Umbrella by Mary Balogh is one of my all-time favorite Balogh books. Why? It's funny. Yes, Mary Balogh did write a fun, light-hearted book. This book proves that she can write more than just angst, I just wish she'd do it more often. This is another Signet book, written in 1989 and just recently re-released. It is not connected to any of her other novels.

Our hero, Giles, Viscount Kincade, is having a bad day. Not only did he lose some money in
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Miss Lockharte's Letters
  • Miss Grimsley's Oxford Career
  • Reforming Lord Ragsdale
  • A Duke by Any Other Name (Rogues to Riches, #4)
  • Lessons From a Scarlet Lady (Northfield, #1)
  • A Worthy Wife
  • Marry in Scarlet (Marriage of Convenience, #4)
  • Tallie's Knight
  • Summer Campaign
  • Mrs. McVinnie's London Season
  • Lord Heartless
  • Mrs. Drew Plays Her Hand
  • With This Ring
  • Marry in Secret (Marriage of Convenience, #3)
  • The Admiral's Penniless Bride
  • A Dangerous Kind of Lady (Longhope Abbey, #2)
  • A Beastly Kind of Earl (Longhope Abbey, #1)
  • Three Lords for Lady Anne
Mary Jenkins was born in 1944 in Swansea, Wales, UK. After graduating from university, moved to Saskatchewan, Canada, to teach high school English, on a two-year teaching contract in 1967. She married her Canadian husband, Robert Balogh, and had three children, Jacqueline, Christopher and Sian. When she's not writing, she enjoys reading, music and knitting. She also enjoys watching tennis and curl ...more