Start by marking “Death on Canvas” as Want to Read:
Death on Canvas

Death on Canvas

(The Jessie O'Bourne Art Mysteries #1)

Two missing masterpieces scatter a trail of death in Book One of the Jessie O’Bourne art mystery series. Jessie, accompanied by her huge orange tomcat, Jack, returns to Sage Bluff to house sit for her dad and judge an art competition. She is painting the morning light on a golden haystack, and absentmindedly brushes a note of turquoise onto the canvas, echoing a spot of co ...more
Published February 1st 2016 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Death on Canvas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death on Canvas

Start your review of Death on Canvas
Pam Mooney
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great mystery! I love it when authors bring in expertise (in this case art) into their writing. It really pulls me in and enhances my reading experience. I enjoyed the past to the present intrigue and characters. I really liked the ending as it wasn't where I thought we were going. A good read. ...more
Vivian
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful mystery!

Well, I have to say that the ending was not at all what I expected. You will have to read it yourself to see what I mean. For a first novel, this book was well written and very well researched. I hope there will be a sequel!
Sue Em
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Excellent mystery that surprised me and smashed my way too low expectations. Missing paintings and a mystery that spans almost an entire century combine with a murdered student and drug trafficking for a complex mymstery. Jessie O'Bourne, a renown artist, returns to Montana to house sit while her father goes on his honeymoon. Memories of her brother's death keep her from trusting his best friend and now cop. In fact, just who can she trust? Hope there is another book coming. Soon.

Thanks to netga
Maxine
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As good the second time.

I read Death on Canvas a year or so ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I recently decided to re-read it and enjoyed it as much the second time.
It is the story about an artist who teams up with a colorful Norwegian cop to solve a mystery--missing art and two murders that connect the present to the past.
This story is well written and keeps you in suspense to the end. Well done, Mary Ann Cherry.
Ramona
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Goodreads, Kindle and and Ms. Cherry for a great little mystery, This was a great little story. I loved the descriptions of the landscape. I liked the protagonist and all of her helpers( local police FBI and all). The ending was not obvious(at least to me) Thank you foa a great summer read
Lynn
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a first-class mystery involving missing paintings, a century-old school for Indian children, a modern-day tale of heritage and inherited abilities, all set against the Big Sky background of rural Montana.

I read this EARC courtesy of Net Galley and Books Go Social. pub date 02/01/16
Joann
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Death on Canvas by Mary Ann Cherry was a pleasant surprise. This is book #1 in what I hope will be a series as I enjoyed it enough to follow this author's books. This is a story that combines both historical intrigue and modern day mystery. The author is an artist and her expertise and perceptions were present throughout the book. The story never lagged for me and I found all of it interesting and at times funny. I loved reading about the beautiful state of Montana and I love Jessie's cat Jack. ...more
Ann
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lot going on in this story. Is it all connected together somehow. About a woman artist who traveled to show her art. A famous painting given to her grandmother by that artist before she dies. Murders happened , drugs came to their small town. Who did what and why for what reason. Her Xboyfriend always teased her about her art - nah her painting aren't worth much money. Little did he know stolen valuable art was the reason for all these killing and such but he didn't think so. Down the line the ...more
Linda Smatzny
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
A very enjoyable story. It had interesting characters and interesting animals that really were characters especially Jack the tomcat. The main character is Jessie O'Bourne who is an artist who is home while her dad is in Hawaii. Jessie discovers the dead body of a girl and becomes involved in the investigation. Besides murder the investigation leads to missing/stolen art that is entangled in the family history of Jessie. The book was set in Sage Bluff, Montana with most set in the present day bu ...more
Nancy  Vreeland
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The characters live

As an avid reader of Christie books I look for good characters to make a story line appear as if it would really happen. This story lives. It has good plot and interesting characters. The setting rocks as well. I can visualize it being something like my area of Wyoming.

I would recommend it to anyone that likes good writing and meeting characters they would like to know. Jack makes me miss my old yellow tomato.
chelepissbcglobal.net
ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY FABULOUS.

What a great book. What a great story. What a great cast and mouse story. Just when you thought you had it figured out another singer was thrown your way to make you stop and rework your thinking. This was a great book. Read it now, you'll love it.
JoAnn
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great suspense. Death on Canvas is well written with a plot with many twists and turns. Loved this author’s writing and will definitely be reading more of her books. If you enjoy good mysteries you do not want to miss this book.
Sharon
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes! A mystery where you don't figure it out before getting halfway through the book. A very good book with an engrossing plot. The characters are well drawn and the dual plot lines are each interesting. I will await the second book and get it as soon as it is out.
Shirley
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book captivated me from the start. Great plot and kept me guessing throughout. Looking forward to the next in the series.
Tomi Nelson
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Loved the book, enjoyed the characters. I especially enjoyed the setting and the painting background. The mystery kept me guessing, well done, look forward to the next in the series.
Thanks for several hours of enjoyment.
Melanie
What a great mystery! It pulls you in from the start and doesn't let you go. This is my opinion and I give it freely. ...more
Carly
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one, especially liked how the Hudson River School was mentioned and part of the story. I'm a sucker for anything art related. ...more
Marilyn
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

there murders that happened in this small town were committed by a several people who no one expected to be guilty of them
Sandy
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved

I really loved this book it's just enough different to make it good and interesting. I will be reading more.
Marie
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good read. Not a superficial quick mystery, but more along the lines of a Kathy Reichs Bones book with good characters and involved story line. Very enjoyable read!
Kathy Church
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book

I have just become a fan of Jessie O’Bourne. This book was great. It kept me guessing until the end. Now I want to know more about Russell and Jessie.
Carol Turner
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Colorful

Excellent debut. It is a debut, isn't it? I look forward to seeing how Cherry develops as an author and how the series evolves.
Janet
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
very good, hope there's more to come ...more
Bea
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
There were some great things about Death on Canvas! I thoroughly enjoyed the story line, the characters were great, and the book definitely kept me reading! The mystery itself was quite convoluted and I found myself trying to guess “who done it” early on. I’d say I was pretty certain who it was around 60% of finishing the book, but even though I was, I wasn’t positive! That is always refreshing because there is nothing I dislike more than being certain of who killed who early on in a book.

The st
Laura A. Perry
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unexpected Surprise

I read the first page and decided the story wouldn't be interesting because it was set in a rural area and in a different century. I put it aside and had no plans to read it. Something about kept drawing me back so I gave it a second chance and boy am I glad I did! It's a great read and not dull at all. It's interesting, fast paced, and keeps you guessing and intrigued til the end. I plan to read the next in the series right away. I highly recommend this book whether you are i
Stuart
Feb 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
A very enjoyable mystery. It was a good view into the mind of an artist and seeing how she sees the world. Great cast of characters and enjoyable location. There were a few twists to this mystery including the ending and the big revel which I did not see coming but in hindsight the clues where there. Again a great read for any mystery fan.
Chris Miller
Apr 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2021
This is a great first book. Ms Cherry has pulled together an interesting roll of characters, established reasonable mysteries, and a setting as big as the west. I have her next book and will be interested to see if she tightens up some of the minor holes that appear in this one. It was an enjoyable, fun read and an intro to Plein Air painting, its problems, and rewards.
Lynne
Nov 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
The plot was slow and tedious and there didn't seem to be a strong main character. ...more
Kathy
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining. Love to read about artists at work. Having a good mystery included adds to the pleasure.
Ron Nurmi
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
worth a read especially if you are an artist. I found it a bit wordy but overall enjoyed the story. The characters are interesting and mostly well done.
Goodreads Librari...: Mary Ann Cherry has two Author Pages 7 24 Feb 17, 2016 10:49AM

• The Devil of Dunmoor
  • Color Him Dead (Books Galore Mystery #1)
  • Once Upon A Murderous Retreat: A Cinnamon Mercy Claus Murder Mystery
  • Eastwind Witches Cozy Mysteries: Books 1-6: Paranormal Cozy Mystery Box Set
  • Dead Wrong (Agatha's Amish B&B #1)
  • Marvels, Mochas, and Murder (Comics and Coffee Case Files, #1)
  • Lattes and Lies (Comics and Coffee Case Files, #2)
  • Unmasked (Venice Murder Mystery, #1)
  • Potions and Puzzles (A Whitewood Witches Murder Mystery Book 3)
  • Festive Christmas Nights (Fabulous Freebie Collection Book 5)
  • Caramels with a Side of Murder (Daley Buzz Mystery #2)
  • Seasoned Magic: A Paranormal Women's Fiction Anthology
  • Apple Pie with a Side of Murder (Daley Buzz Mystery #3)
  • Martha Rookie Angel: Cozy Crime (A Dingebury Town Mystery Series Book 10)
  • Panic at the Pier (Whodunit Pet Mystery #1)
  • Martha Rookie Angel: The Second Task (Dingebury Town Mysteries Book 2)
  • Hidden Secrets (Blackmoore Sisters #9)
  • Spell Found (Blackmoore Sisters Mystery, #7)
Cherry, author of the Jessie O'Bourne art mystery series, is a professional artist who discovered that painting with words is as much fun as creating with a brush and paint. She exhibits at national art shows, teaches painting workshops and in general does all the things her female protagonist does - except solve murders.
Raised in rural Montana, Cherry flavors her novels with the characters, cult

The Jessie O'Bourne Art Mysteries (2 books)
  • Death at Crooked Creek