Start by marking “Fake Geek Girl (Belladonna University #1)” as Want to Read:
Fake Geek Girl (Belladonna University #1)

Fake Geek Girl

(Belladonna University #1)

Meet Fake Geek Girl, the band that plays nerdy songs at the university bar every Friday night, to a mixture of magical and non-magical students: lead singer Holly writes songs based on her twin sister Hebe's love of geek culture though she doesn't really understand it; drummer Sage is an explosive sorcerous genius obsessing over whether Holly's about to quit the band to go ...more
29 pages
Published April 2014 by Review of Australian Fiction

To ask other readers questions about Fake Geek Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fake Geek Girl

Start your review of Fake Geek Girl (Belladonna University #1)
Anna Hepworth
A nice fluffy bit of reading that references a large number of geeky pop culture standards. Lots of hidden world-building, interested in seeing what else is in this particular world.

Reread because: Started reading the second story ("Unmagical Boy Story") and wanted to get a feel for the characters again.
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
I followed this one way back when, but somehow didn't mark it on goodreads- oops. More Hebe, who is my favourite, yay <3 ...more
Angela Maher
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun story. The world it's set in took a bit of wrapping my head around, but the characters are great. Unique setting and really different to anything else I've read.
Clare Snow
So this is very funny and I was loving it, and then it just ended at 75% No wonder it was free on kindle - it goes nowhere. I thought I was reading a novella, not a short (short short) story. I still don't get ebook self publishing.

I feel like I can't include it in the LoveOzYA reading challenge because it took me like 5min to read. Ok, I'm lying, it took 2 days - same thing. Time to read Queens of Geek.
Chiara
3.5

I loved the queer characters, the fandom/internet references, and the writing style. The Real/Unreal bits were a bit confusing but I eventually wrapped my head around them!
Serena
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved listening to Tansy Rayner Roberts' podcast Sheep Might Fly where you too can listen to lots of her short stories! ...more
Nicole Field
I quite liked this short story and the premise of a university that caters to both magical and non-magical students. I think it could have definitely been longer, but as it was it served as a good introduction to the world. I do, however, agree with another reviewer who commented that the distinction between 'real' and 'unreal' studies (magic and non-magic studies) was confusing at the start and perhaps not made quite clear enough for the new reader.

The story centres around a friendship group w
Jen
I picked this up when the author tweeted about the release of the box set and described it as "If student witches from Hogwarts went to magical university… and were Australian… and spent most of their time hanging around at the pub with their geeky rock band… basically that’s the Fake Geek Girl stories." How could I possibly resist that?

And this collection delivered. The relationship between the twin sisters Hebe and Holly was lovely, and the growing number of ties between the different members
Rachael
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was very confusing for me in a lot of ways. In some areas I wanted to know more and read more, and in other areas I was kind of ready for it to be done. I loved the introduction to the world, and wanted to see far more of it. Although I started out liking the quirkiness of the characters, it began to get tiresome as it jumped between points of view. For something this short I think I would have enjoyed it more if it focused on 1-2 characters. The writing was strong, and dripping with p ...more
Emily Wrayburn
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, fiction
Review originally posted on A Keyboard and an Open Mind October 17 2017:

This review will be fairly short, as the book in focus is quite short (I’m not even sure it would constitute novella length).

The story focuses on the inhabitants of the Manic Pixie Dream House, a share house for about six students from Belladonna Unversity, which has campuses for Real (magic) and Unreal (tech). The titular Fake Geek Girl is Holly Hadlow, who heads up a band of the same name and sings songs inspired by her tw
Miss Susan
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqia
very likeable short story; did a great job of establishing a believable friend group where every character had a distinct personality (tricky to pull off in a short story!) i'm emphasizing the short because i'd really like a book's worth of this, i was surprised and a bit disappointed when i hit the end -- i'd thought there was more but the last 20% is just previews of roberts' other work

4 stars
Marie Davies
A novella I read in one sitting for a YA challenge thread and I’m so excited I’ve discovered this author. Loved her naturally funny and sarcastic voice.

The world took me a while to get my head around but it didn’t deter too much from the artfully written characters. Loved it. 4.5 stars. I’ll definitely be searching out more.
Anatl
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Fun cute little story about a band set against a magical university life. There are alternating points of view of the members of the band whose friendship with each other seems to be stretched thin because of certain events and expectations. It is mainly a story of friendship, connection and geek culture with a touch of world building.
~Anita~
Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I wasn’t keen on the title because “fake geek girl” is a term used by men to gatekeep various geek activities. I still wanted to like it more than I did. It didn’t seem to gel well as a story. My favourite part was the last chapter.
Joanna
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent brain candy, this story cheered me up mightily during a stressful work shift. The changing POV characters were a little difficult to keep track of, but I didn't mind because the story was so much fun.
Xanthe
Fun and lively, just the right palate cleanser to read between ghost stories! I loved the premise of the magical Australian university though I had trouble keeping all the characters straight. Definitely enjoyed it enough to want to read more set in this world.
Jenn Estepp
Very much enjoyed this short story and looking forward to the others. Magic + Uni Life + Australia. My only quibble is that in so limited a space it was slightly challenging to get a grasp on the rules and workings of this setting, but I suppose that's somewhat expected.
Stas
Real and Unreal are rather confusing.
This was fun.
But way too short.
Fred Langridge
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sff
I really enjoyed this fluffy short story. It reads like fanfic itself: portraits of characters; not much in the way of plot, yet.
Julie
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, paranormal
Really fun. The changing POVs every chapter was actually quite well handled in this short format. I can totally see myself reading more from TRR!
Elizabeth Fitzgerald
Fake Geek Girl is a fun short story that brings magic to an Australian university.

The world-building was one of my favourite parts of the story. It's set in an alternate version of the present where magic (also referred to as the Real) and technology (the Unreal) exist uneasily alongside each other. Magic is very much the norm, with almost everyone having some degree of magic proficiency. Students have laptops and mobile phones they need to keep protected from magic radiation, and heaven help th
Mel (booksandsundry)
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Uni flashbacks with magic. This one I adore and the very Australian vibe just amplifies that.
Faith
I was wondering if I would be biased toward Unmagical Boy Story because I read it first; I do prefer it but I actually think it's a better piece of writing -- mostly on the strength of Viola's narrative voice, but also because the conflict is deeper.

That said, this is a sweet little story, with plenty of imaginative worldbuilding and clever, snarky touches. Also cool to learn more about the people that were minor side characters in UBS (Holly, Juniper, even Hebe to some extent).

Anyway I love thi
Ju Transcendancing
I first read this book this year as part of Tansy's podcast Sheep Might Fly and fell head-over-heels in love with the story, the characters and the universe.

I love Tansy's snarky fiction that is equal parts intelligent and fluffy - it's satisfying for a part of my brain and heart that is hard to find words to describe. I loved Holly, Hebe, Sage, and Ferd so much! I want to read anything with these characters in it! It's such a wonderful comfort read!

What is especially lovely about this story i
Sidsel Pedersen
I really enjoyed the story, the formatter and the audio vision. I loved the way the changing perspective err used; the geekyness - seen from within and from the outside; the bus of song and the love... friendship, romance and sisterhood. Oh and the world building was cool, I wouldn't mind more set there.
Leah

• What I Like About Me
  • Hive (Hive #1)
  • Monuments
  • Juliet Takes a Breath
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • The Witch Boy (The Witch Boy, #1)
  • My Brother's Husband, Volume 2
  • Apollo
  • Winter's Tale
  • Brimstone (The Fire Watcher Chronicles, #1)
  • A Great Escape
  • Tomboy Survival Guide
  • Cast in Oblivion (The Chronicles of Elantra, #14)
  • Summer in Orcus
  • The True Queen (Sorcerer Royal, #2)
  • A Trifle Dead (Cafe La Femme, #1)
Tansy Rayner Roberts is a fantasy and science fiction author who lives in southern Tasmania, somewhere between the tall mountain with snow on it, and the beach that points towards Antarctica.

Tansy has a PhD in Classics (with a special interest in poisonous Roman ladies), an obsession with Musketeers, and is raising two superhero daughters who are going to rule the world someday.

You can hear Tansy

Belladonna University (5 books)
  • Unmagical Boy Story
  • The Bromancers (Belladonna University #3)
  • Halloween Is Not A Verb