Start by marking “Lean Thinking: Banish Waste and Create Wealth in Your Corporation” as Want to Read:
Lean Thinking: Banish Waste and Create Wealth in Your Corporation

Lean Thinking: Banish Waste and Create Wealth in Your Corporation

Expanded, updated, and more relevant than ever, this bestselling business classic by two internationally renowned management analysts describes a business system for the twenty-first century that supersedes the mass production system of Ford, the financial control system of Sloan, and the strategic system of Welch and GE. It is based on the Toyota (lean) model, which combi
Hardcover, Revised and Updated, 400 pages
Published June 10th 2003 by Free Press (first published September 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Lean Thinking, please sign up.
Sourov Kabir After buying from Amazon you can scan and save it in Google Drive. Then download.

Start your review of Lean Thinking: Banish Waste and Create Wealth in Your Corporation
Caroline Gordon
So glad I finally got onto reading some classic 'lean' texts. Much of the Agile literature talks about lean and what Toyota achieved, so reading this is going to fill out my understanding of the origins of the ideas. It's hard to believe how exactly the description of 'pre-lean' manufacturing in the 60s describes the current state of the IT industry. The waste involved in functional silos, queueing and batching, lack of visibility of the value stream. Music to my ears!
Yet another 5 star rating,
Steven Peterson
Aug 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Lean is a specific management technique to make an organization more efficient (and a private sector company more profitable). This book is a well written introduction to the subject. The authors, James Womack and Daniel Jones, provide lots of examples to illustrate their basic points. Thus, this is a very useful introduction to the subject, for those of us who are not experts on this matter.

To start at the beginning. . . . The enemy is "Muda," a Japanese word that means "waste," in all of its
False
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business-finance
It is based on the Toyota (lean) model, which combines operational excellence with value-based strategies to produce steady growth through a wide range of economic conditions. This had been on my "to read" list for a long time. In retrospect, it was a waste to go back to a book on business originally written in 1996. Too much time has passed.
Gerard Chiva
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fundamental read for anyone in the Agile or Lean industry. Although it is difficult to read and could have been written in a more user-friendly way, the ideas and experiences in this book are key.
Kate
Apr 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ux-read
Eh. I agree with the principles of lean thinking, but overall I found this book to be really boring.
John Stepper
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s hard for any Lean book to compare to “The Machine that Changed the World” But the detailed case studies from a range of companies differing in size, location, and industry make this an excellent companion to other books. The story of Porsche alone is fascinating.
Bob Wallner
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible, lean
The quintessential text on how to apply the Toyota production system to your facility!

Lean Thinking was one of the first texts I read when I started my lean journey in 2004. The five guiding principles to creating a Lean Enterprise where groundbreaking. I remember reading this book initially and being so excited about applying what I learned. I quickly realized the company I was with saw lean as a problem-solving tool only. They did not embrace the core principles taught by the authors. For many
Philip Boling
Jan 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the better insight into the manufacturing transformation which I witnessed in the 90's: the introduction of U shaped manufacturing cells, the emphasis on the concepts: value, flow and pull and the identification of huge automated manufacturing monstrosities as monuments.

Some of the competitive advantage of the Japanese was identified, but I was also left with questions: Denso for instance in my experience was never portrayed as a competitor on price, so if Denso had huge cost advantag
Angie McCain Crees
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Most of the book was how to evaluate and implement Lean in a factory type setting. The process of and result from using a factory setting provides clear results and is statistically easier to measure the results. I would have liked more examples of lean processes in an environment that is more difficult to statistically measure before and after lean implementation. Still, it is a good book if you are interested in understanding what Lean is and how Lean might be useful in your business.
Jack Vinson
Nov 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Good overview and lots of similarities to TOC. And differences, such as intense focus on waste instead of optimizing the constraint.
A blog post and review of the book: http://blog.jackvinson.com/archives/2...
A blog post about the heavy use of Japanese terms: http://blog.jackvinson.com/archives/2...
Melisa
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018-reads
A lot of really great information swapped by example after example that are completely unnecessary. Really hard to read just to get the few bits of good stuff.
Samer Sami
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
in 1991 , the prominent prestigious automotive brand Porsche was on a ledge of bankruptcy by dramatic fall of sales and hike of manufacturing costs , while tried to push the sales up , brought new advance technologies and any possible trials which gone in the wind. A drastic transformations was made after 4 years by applying the TPS "Toyota production system" which turned the corporation 180 degree from an almost bankruptcy to the top ranked profitable automotive prestigious brands worldwide , t ...more
Dana
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it

Javier
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Monica
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Though this is a pivotal book on lean thinking, I found chapter 2 a really heavy read. We get several study cases on companies that improved processes dramatically through lean thinking but, do we really need to understand everything that was wrong with such processes when so little about how these were improved is deployed? I kept costantly thinking, I get it, they eliminated all those muda but who? when? how much it costed? what was done first? However, if you are able to go past this chapter, ...more
Nirel
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: management interested in making their organization lean
Great book on a few basic concepts:
- Continuous process improvement.
- Eliminate muda (wasteful activities or parts of processes) to continually optimize performance, save on cost, make everything run more smoothly and efficiently and scale.
- Have a digital clock were everyone can see it -- pay attention to time management to eliminate time wasted.
- Don't start a second task until you've finished the first.

"Lean Thinking" inspired by Toyota, brings Eastern ideas of striving toward efficiency to
Julia
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: managers, change agents
Shelves: blog-shelf
I listened to the audiobook on audible during a drive across Florida. His voice is very soothing so don't listen and drive when you're tired! I found this book to be very accessible and gave me some deeper points to consider further. I really wish there were this exact book but with businesses not creating physical product. But, that's nothing wrong with this book! Great book. Would definitely recommend.
David
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think I'm biased. I really like the way these men think. Lean thinking should always be holistic, and look at the total value stream and not some simple part cost calculation. I found this work very clear and direct, and has helped me in my thinking regarding work process and optimization. Again, spot optimization can be great fun, but may not be what's needed for the whole value stream. This also points to the need for deep cultural change in many companies.
Bill Shavce
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a follow-on to "The Machine that Changed the World." It provides several case studies of corporations that transitioned from mass production methods to lean production. In these cases, the companies demonstrated success in challenging economic environments. The authors also lay out an action plan that can help corporations transition to lean production.
Shawn
Jun 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book is divided into three district parts: theory, case studies, and reflection. The first part, theory, was very engaging. Complex ideas were introduced and clearly illustrated. The second part, case studies, was interesting but the absence of new ideas made it less engaging. I felt the third section, reflection, did not as much to the book except extra pages.
Todd
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty good business book I guess. The general plot is remove waste and unneeded steps in delivering your product to the consumer. If there are areas where the product or consumer is sitting their waiting you might have an area that could be improved.
Mike Thelen
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another of the early books. Really focused on tools, perhaps why it took so long for outsiders to figure out TPS was more about beliefs, culture and respect.

Still, an early insight to TPS, and a pioneer in that sense.
Guðmundur
Feb 23, 2018 rated it liked it
A fine introduction and explanation on the Lean methodology.

The book delivers a lot of good examples of what is needed to identify and adjust to make processes more streamlined.

Found the style rather dry and "dull". I don´t expect to be able to quote much from this book.
Niels Philbert
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book to expand on basic knowledge of Lean. I would recommend 2 second Lean as a starter book and for applying Lean in more general areas. This is good, presents solid points and pitfalls, and keeps the pace throughout shit getting too technical.
Niels Bergervoet
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Gives a good basic understanding of Lean thinking, and is really convincing why it is a good ideology to adopt in organizations.
Anders Gränfors
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Gives Good exempels how LEAN Venedigs bussiness
Melanie Walker
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
A book that introduces Lean Thinking concepts and uses real-world examples from around the globe.
Ayham
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: specialized
I didn’t see the adding value of the book. the slow rythm makes it difficult not to skip multiple pages or just scan others.
Matthew Praino
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Exciting concept and great real life examples. Gets bogged down in the technical/mechanical aspects in parts.
Andrea Gazzaniga
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Must read for anyone who wants to understand what lean thinking really is and how it evolved, even if it shows its age for some parts.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Toyota Way: 14 Management Principles from the World's Greatest Manufacturer
  • The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement
  • Learning to See Version 1.3
  • Seeing What's Next: Using the Theories of Innovation to Predict Industry Change
  • Toyota Kata: Managing People for Improvement, Adaptiveness and Superior Results
  • Toyota Production System: Beyond large-scale production
  • Out of the Crisis
  • The Balanced Scorecard: Translating Strategy into Action
  • Built to Last: Successful Habits of Visionary Companies
  • The Lean Six SIGMA Pocket Toolbook: A Quick Reference Guide to Nearly 100 Tools for Improving Quality and Speed: A Quick Reference Guide to 70 Tools for Improving Quality and Speed
  • 12: The Elements of Great Managing
  • Critical Chain
  • 2 Second Lean: How to Grow People and Build a Fun Lean Culture
  • Lean Production Simplified: A Plain-Language Guide to the World's Most Powerful Production System
  • Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't
  • Gemba Kaizen: A Commonsense, Low-Cost Approach to Management
  • The Innovator's Dilemma: The Revolutionary Book that Will Change the Way You Do Business
  • Blue Ocean Strategy: How to Create Uncontested Market Space and Make the Competition Irrelevant