Start by marking “Dødens drabanter (Varg Veum, #15)” as Want to Read:
Dødens drabanter (Varg Veum, #15)

Dødens drabanter

(Varg Veum #15)

Et ødelagt, ungt liv, og Varg Veum stilles til ansvar for et helt samfunns unnfallenhet. Jeg fikk en telefon fra fortiden. Slik begynner den trettende romanen om Varg Veum...
Published 2006 by Gyldendal

To ask other readers questions about Dødens drabanter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dødens drabanter

Susan
Sep 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in Bergen and rural Norway, this sad, funny and nearly implausible story follows a social service worker interacting with a wee boy who eventually becomes a criminal. It is a shame that this is Staalesen's only novel available on Kindle. With good reason, Staalesen is very popular in Europe. His protagonist Varg Veum, a social worker turned private investigator, is a sympathetic narrator about how life conspired against Johnny Boy, who keeps turning up like a wooden nickel, first as a baby t ...more
Linda  Branham Greenwell
The main character is Varg Veum, a social worker turned private eye. And since I used to be a social worker (for 21 years) these stories really appeal to me - I can identify :)
The story goes back in time when he was a young social worker and was sent to the home of "Johnny Boy" a 3 year old boy and possible victim of abuse. We follow the progress of Johnny boy and Varg over a period of several years. The conditions of the home and people involved when johnny boy (Jan Elgin) was first seen by Va
Abby Slater- Fairbrother
I picked this one to read, as I was recently asked to take part in the blog tour for the authors latest book release ‘Wolves In The Dark’ via Orenda books. I immediately looked up the series/author/subject matter and became intrigued. I really wanted to read an earlier novel in the series and this led me to pick this one, being drawn to the theme of the young man’s life and repercussions his childhood may have had on his future.
The novel opens in 1995, Detective Varg Veum receives a call from,
David Hallstrom
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second Staalesen novel. Where Roses Never Die Being my first. This is a solid work - a nice mix of Chandleresque detective story with slight tips of the cap to the social commentary of the Swedish police procedural. There are 20 or so of these novels in print in Norway but the best I can tell only 8 have been translated to English. I have been lucky to find his books on the shelves at Mysterious Bookshop but even then their selection is limited. I can find more in London and will raid ...more
Stephanie Hutabarat
This is my 1st Norway's book that I read and I love it. Sometimes i am confuse with the places because not familiar wih the word nor spelling, but the story is so thrilling made me curious how it will be end. 3 stars for this!
Mei
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
2017 and 2018 all appear to be about Nordic thrillers. This was a pretty interesting read, except I didn’t realise it was #15 of a series. I liked it but not enough to read the first 14. Maybe a couple.
Pilla
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Varg Veum. This is the book that the author, Gunnar Staalesen, suggests as an intro to the Veum books.
Mary
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two time winner of the golden Pistol award. Johnny Boy resurfaces. Veum remembers him from early in is working career as a child protection officer.
Janne Swearengen
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5--this is another terrific read from Gunnar Staalesen. Not perfect but quite nicely done and translated. The narrator is Colin Mace and he does a good job of several characters and Varg himself.
Krissa33
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent livre, histoire bien prenant et qui tiens debout

Seul b-mol: l'auteur fait beaucoup d'aller/retour dans le temps, entre 1996 - 1970 - 1986 - 1973 - 1986 - 1996, et des fois, j'avais un peu de mal à suivre et à bien me situer au bon moment et au bon endroit
Ikebukuro
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un roman policier sur fond de misère sociale et affective qui prend ses racines dans le passé pour maquiller le présent et des personnages principaux ambigus et plutôt attachants. Tout est réuni pour piquer ma curiosité et me donner envie de découvrir l'auteur. J'ai beaucoup aimé le fait que ce dernier brouille continuellement les pistes, en mélangeant le passé et le présent, en nous donnant quelques clés au fur et à mesure que l'on avance dans le roman. Gunnar Staalesen à travers ce livre trace ...more
Greg
In Consorts of Death Staalesen reaches back into Varg's early days working for social services. He and a colleague go into a drug den and take away a little baby called Johnny Boy from his addict mother Matte and her thug boyfriend Terrje.

Johnny Boy is fostered out and Varg runs into him again as a six year old when his foster father is found dead. He is fostered again, and about ten years later is involved in another murder scene. Years later, Varg hears that the now-adult Johnny Boy wants to k
Virginy
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Les vies de Varg Veum et Janegutt se sont croisées à de nombreuses reprises, le premier tentant de venir en aide au second, tout d’abord en tant qu’agent de la Protection de l’enfance, puis comme détective privé, répondant à l’appel du jeune homme.

On suit ainsi Janegutt à travers les yeux de Varg Veum, durant de nombreuses années, retrouvant cet enfant à chaque étape tragique de sa vie. Et chaque personne croisée à ces moments-là a une importance dans le destin de Jan. Gunnar Staalesen brouille
Nigel
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Initially I believed this was a poorly translated book, changed from Norwegian to English, verbatum. Where, what was actually needed was for it to be completely rewritten in English. This was how I thought book translations were done. Translated by writers not just someone who spoke the lingo.

I continued with this opinion up until the last twenty or thirty pages when it became apparent the author was truly mediocre and the reason I decided against awarding it an average three stars was that the
Chris
I get a channel called Mind. It comes on Channel 35 here in Philly, well Channel 35 and the secondary channels. On the secondary channels, Mind shows International mysteries every Sunday night. I like the Scandivan ones. Wallender, Irene Russ, and Varg Veum. This is the first Varg Veum novel I've read.

While different from the movies shown on Mind, the book is good. Varg is older and has a son, but that's about the only difference. He still has sex with almost every woman he meets (why is this a
Kb
I have liked other books in this series. I am finding this one too boring to keep reading. Part of the problem is storytelling (it's just not a very engaging story, in my opinion), but this is made much worse by poor translation. Translators need to have more than just a facility with the language they are translating from. They must also be good writers so that they do not decide to make characters speak sentences that no sane human would ever utter, just because they happen to coincide with th ...more
Ffiamma
May 14, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nordica
giallo norvegese (pare che l'autore sia famosissimo in patria) incentrato sulla tragica storia di un ragazzo difficile dall'infanzia travagliata e del suo incontro con varg veum - investigatore privato ex assistente sociale. parte molto bene, poi diventa un po' noioso e la soluzione diventa abbastanza evidente verso la metà.
Rachel
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't mind it to begin with but just over half way through I started to get all the characters muddled. Maybe it's my age or senility hehehehe but way too many people in it. I skipped to the end and I did a quick scan but couldn't really bothered to find out much.
Daniel
Oct 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I think this book is entertaining, and it is similar to other Scandinavian crime stories.

Also, because I was living in Bergen for a year, I found the Varg Veum stories even more interesting :)
Robert
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
A Charlie Brown teacher in my head for the last 30 pages. I admired the construction of 40 years ago to 20 to 10 to etc. as a device but I couldn't see the characters. And when the woman races in at the end and blabs "I didn't know.." or some such BS---yawn.
Ann Tonks
Great, layered, complex story that leaves you in suspense to the bitter end. The cover describes the hero as an upmarket Scandinavian Philip Marlowe but that's wrong. He's more a down to earth Norwegian with the soul of a social worker in the heart of a PI.
Bruce Hatton
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: norwegian-crime
I read the English translation "The Consorts Of Death". Highly original and very gripping. Varg Veum is a unique protagonist.
Jack
Dec 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Satisfyingly complex Norwegian crime thriller. I'm always pleased to discover another author to watch out for.
Aga
rated it it was ok
Nov 19, 2014
Frida Gulichsen
Nov 09, 2015
  • Drømmefangeren (Cato Isaksen #2)
  • The Man in the Window
  • Katalysatormordet (K2 #3)
  • Efterskalv (A-gruppen, #9)
  • Kurt Quo Vadis?
  • Døde menn går på ski
  • Sail of Stone (Inspector Winter, #6)
  • Utan eko (Hanne Wilhelmsen, #6)
  • Jakthundene (William Wisting, #8)
  • The Looking-Glass Sisters
  • Der Tote vom Strand. (Inspector Van Veeteren #8)
  • Killing the Lawyers (Joe Sixsmith, #3)
  • Mord i mørket
Gunnar Staalesen is a Norwegian writer. Staalesen has a cand.philol degree from Universitetet i Bergen and he has worked at Den Nationale Scene, the main theater in Bergen.

Varg Veum (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Das Haus mit der grünen Tür (Varg Veum, #1)
  • Yours Until Death (Varg Veum, #2)
  • Tornerose sov i hundre år (Varg Veum, #3)
  • Kvinnen i kjøleskapet (Varg Veum, #4)
  • At Night All Wolves Are Grey (Varg Veum, #5)
  • Der Hexenring. Varg Veum Ermittelt  (Varg Veum, #6)
  • Black Sheep (Varg Veum, #7)
  • Anges Dechus (Varg Veum, #8)
  • Bitre Blomster (Varg Veum, #9)
  • Begravde Hunder Biter Ikke (Varg Veum, #10)