Start by marking “The Great Chocoplot” as Want to Read:
The Great Chocoplot

The Great Chocoplot

For fans of Roald Dahl’s Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and readers of Chris Grabenstein and Wendy Mass, The Chocopocalypse is an action-packed mystery about what would happen if the world were about to run out of chocolate!

Life for Jelly Welly—or Jennifer Wellington—is totally and utterly normal in Chompton-on-de-Lyte. She lives with her mum and dad and gran, has no
Published March 3rd 2016 by Chicken House Ltd

To ask other readers questions about The Great Chocoplot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Chocoplot

Start your review of The Great Chocoplot
Lucy Banks
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Tee hee - very funny! I read this to my two boys (5 and 7) and they absolutely LOVED it. The storyline is wonderfully off-the-wall, and the characters are fabulous, especially Jelly's Gran, who really made me chuckle... the pink frilly knickers were inspired! The author blends humour with an exciting plotline really well, and it's sure to keep younger readers hooked from start to finish. I'm sure my two will be reading it again at some point!
Kieran Fanning
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The first thing you have to say about this book is it looks delicious - covered in squares of chocolate with a purple (synonymous with a certain confectionery brand!) foil background. It certainly looks good enough to eat. And what's inside is equally appetising.

The Great Chocoplot is the story of young Jelly and her family who live in the chocolate factory town of Chompton-on-de-Lyte. They are devastated to hear the announcement of a chocopocalypse (the end of chocolate!) which was predicted by
Anna
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jelly and her family are stunned when they hear on television that in just a few days chocolate will be gone, for ever! There is a Chocopocalypse on the horizon... can Garibaldi Chocolati the owner of the towns posh chocolate shop be trusted, or is he connected to this imminent disaster?

The Great Chocoplot is genius! Fantastic storytelling that pulls you in, and wonderful characters who take you on a magical adventure! What would YOU do if you heard that chocolate was about to disappear for good
John Fulton
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The end of the world is a common theme in books, films, and TV. Zombie outbreaks. Alien invasions. Meteor strikes. Virus epidemics. Nuclear war. But in The Great Chocoplot, Chris Callaghan has come up with the most chilling apocalypse yet: the end of chocolate.

Jelly (real name Jennifer, but if your name’s Jennifer Wellington you’re going to be called Jelly Welly whether you like it or not) lives with her hard-working night-shift Mum, recently-redundant Dad, and slightly potty Gran in the town of
Renee
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
Interview with my 6 & 7 year olds (she just had a birthday).

Me: What did you think of this book?
7: I thought it was awesome.
6: Awesome bawesome.

Me: What was your favourite bit?
7: When they all thought chocolate was going to disappear.
6: Um, did you actually say um? Mum, what are you writing?
Me: Everything you say.
6: Um, when they were eating chocolate. Mum, can you delete the um part?

Me: Why did you like that bit?
7: Because I was like "is chocolate going to disappear or is it not" Dun Dun Duuuuu
Gilly
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Jelly and her family live in Chompton-on-de-Lyte, where everyone loves a Chocablocka bar or two. So when the end of chocolate is announced, she can't believe it. Determined to investigate, Jelly and her gran follow a trail of clues to a posh chocolate shop and its owner, the pompous Garibaldi Chocolati. Gari's suspiciously smug, despite his failing business and yucky chocolate. Is it really the chocopocalypse, or is there a chocoplot afoot?
I decided to read this book as it was recommended to me
Nayuleska
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fantastically realistic look at what could happen in a chocolate shortage. I love how Jelly is in a family with 1 parent who has lost their job, as these days that is the reality for a lot of people. It was cool having her grandmother live so close, and convenient for the after hours expediion Jelly ends up on. There is a lot of humour, some subtle which younger readers may not get but which made me smile a lot. I advise having some chocolate to hand when reading this as it made me want some!! ...more
Trinity
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is AMAZING!!!! I think everyone need to read and love this book because it is my favourite book in the whole wide world!!!
Ms. Yingling
Copy provided by the publisher

Jennifer Wellington, known as Jelly Welly, lives a pleasant but somewhat constrained life with her parents in Chompton-on-de-Lyte, a British town centered around the production and distribution of chocolate. When she hears on a television program that chocolate will disappear in a few days, following an ancient prophecy, she worries about how this will effect her and her family. Her grandmother, who lives in a dilapidated trailer in the driveway, helps her to invest
Sarah Capon
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Original review posted at inneedofaread.wordpress.com.

Be prepared to have chocolate constantly on your mind for all 240 pages of this book. I demolished a share sized Galaxy bar whilst reading and I still craved more when I had finished!

The well-paced plot is driven by an ancient prophecy discovered on Easter Egg Island - chocolate is soon going to run out in the world! The heroine, Jelly, takes it upon herself to investigate the likelihood of a Chocopocalypse and has help from her lovely famil
Gabrielle
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An exciting and funny book, choc (sorry) full of great characters. Loved Jelly and her quirky, endearing family, and felt like booing the dastardly Garibaldi Chocolati. Reminiscent of Dahl and Walliams. Make sure you have a large supply of chocolate on hand before you even think of turning to the first page, you'll need it!
Gee
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Great Chocoplot – melter of hearts and tickler of funny bones. What a story! Despite its horrifying theme – no more chocolate ... EVER – the adventures of the Wellington family: Jelly, Mum, Dad, and glorious Gran, is choc full of delights. Their family dynamic provides the basis for a warm, funny, smoothly-written tale. But be warned, your chocolate consumption may increase as you read it.
Laura Noakes
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
This book was funny, heartwarming and I'm totally blaming it for the inordinate amount of chocolate I ate whilst reading it.
Vincent Ripley
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Hang onto your Curly Wurly, book review will be posted soon on. www.mrripleysenchantedbooks.com ...more
Ivy
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
I was browsing the website of one of my favorite German publishing companies when I stumbled across Chris Callaghan’s debut novel called The Great Chocoplot. It sounded like so much fun; I had to read it. Thank you so much to the German publishers who sent me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! If you want to know if I liked the book or not, keep reading.

The end of the world is a common theme in books and movies and TV shows. Whether it’s a zombie apocalypse, an alien invasion
Louise
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg-read
A laugh-a-minute Middle Grade read which was the perfect treat for a Saturday morning readathon.

The theme of anxiety is brilliantly handled. A light, bubbly approach to mental-wellbeing is well needed when children are experiencing mental health issues at higher rates than ever. I love Jelly (great name for someone who often feels a bit wobbly), and how she adjusts the way she views things to allow herself to appreciate the moment.

Publishing has started to realise that not every childhood is set
B.B. Taylor
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
based on the real scary fact that we could run out of chocolate *gulp* a fantastic concept and a well crafted story that grabs you from the start and doesn't let go both myself and my children have read it a thoroughly enjoyed it! a laugh out loud story that leave you with a smile.
Amanda Ware
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zany mystery as well as off-the-wall characters made this a fun book to read at bedtime with my 8yo.
Tilly_2009
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was very interesting but very childish and l would recommend this book to younger children and people
Keeley
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mehsi
The chocopocalypse is coming! Soon! *dum dum dum*

I really had to read this book, it fits so well with current news that chocolate will be gone in 2050. Plus I read a few pages in the Dutch edition and was just in love. Thankfully the English edition was here pretty soon when I ordered it.

This review may be a bit chaotic, sorry, I am really tired, but I do want to write a review for this book.

It all starts with Jelly just blissfully eating some candy when she hears the terrible news that there wo
John-Paul Ringer
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a funny and engaging story. I will be reading it to my year 4 class and also use it to study the history and geography of chocolate. Mostly, we will just be enjoying it!
Craig Morgan
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
No more chocolate!!!! If you were to believe what is being reported on the One, sorry Seven Show then that is what is going to happen in a weeks time. What would you do? Don't worry though because Jelly and Gran are on the case.

Chris Callaghan has written a real page turner that brings a multitude of colourful characters to life. Our heroine Jelly and her eccentric Grandmother (aka Gran). Her Dad (who actually prefers Cheese and Onion Crisps to Chocolate!!!) her overworked Mum, the noisy (and no
Donna
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book! Warm, funny and engaging...everything a book about a chocopocalypse should be! With brilliant characters that you really get to know and like, it is a great family read. It is written in an extremely charming and captivating style, with many laugh out loud moments...I especially like Jemstone Bottom! Children and adults will love reading this book from cover to cover - a cover that is delicious and suits the contents perfectly!
Linda Lou
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children 6-11
Rating 4
Chocopocalypse is chock full of pure deliciousness and delight covered with wispy layers of ticklishness and random ridiculous silliness that will make even a serious sourpuss smile. And smile I did as read each page while nibbling on my own squares of Ghirardelli chocolate. This book is geared for 6 to 11 year olds or those who are still young at heart…Enjoy and Bon Apetite!
Jadespringymandarin
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The dad had cheese and onion crisps as his phone picture. RECOMMEND THIS BOOK
Hilarious
Barbara
I spent plenty of time laughing at the clever word play and casual references to chocolate-related objects as I read this funny book. There's even a trigger warning for chocoholics at the beginning and an app with chocolate news. The story itself revolves around Jennifer Wellington (Jelly Welly) and her life with her family in Chompton-on-de-Lyte. Both of her parents work hard in their own ways even though her father has lost his job. Still, they struggle to make ends meet. When a television pro ...more
Amy (Golden Books Girl)
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
In his debut novel, Chris Callaghan tells the story of Jelly and her family, who live in the town which produces/consumes the most chocolate, and the madness which ensues when a news programme declares that chocolate will cease to exist in just 5 days` time. Jelly decides to investigate and soon finds that the `Chocopocalypse` is perhaps not such a natural disaster after all… I thought Jelly was an amazing heroine and is a realistic role model for younger readers as while she`s brave, she also h ...more
Michelle
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Dee Groocock
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The first thing I must say about this book is how much we love the cover! Lovely bright colours and my daughter thought it made the book good enough to eat!
My 7 year old daughter and I read alternate chapters to each other at bedtime, it’s an easy and enjoyable book to read. We both loved reading the countdowns to the chocopocalypse, they made us chuckle. My daughters favourite character in the book was Jelly.
This is such a great idea for a story, we have had lots of discussions since starting
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Wayne in a Manger
  • An Elephant in the Garden
  • Head Kid
  • Wilderness
  • The Good Thieves
  • A Place Called Perfect (Perfect, #1)
  • The Garden of Lost Secrets
  • The Boy At the Back of the Class
  • Time Travelling with a Hamster
  • Boy Underwater
  • The Last Spell Breather
  • Awful Auntie
  • The Scarecrow and His Servant
  • The Great Cheese Robbery (Pocket Pirates #1)
  • Johnny and the Bomb (Johnny Maxwell, #3)
  • The Island at the End of Everything
  • Assassin? (Jimmy Coates, #1)
  • A Pinch of Magic (A Pinch of Magic, #1)
I'm a Geordie bloke now living in London and I've ALWAYS written stories.
Even when I served as a mechanic on jet fighters in the Royal Air Force and as an Environmental Scientist, I always found time to let my imagination drift.
Later, as a Stay At Home Dad, stories became a real part of my job, leading to my debut, 'The Great Chocoplot' - about the end of chocolate - published by Chicken House (UK