Start by marking “Shadowed Souls” as Want to Read:
Shadowed Souls

Shadowed Souls

(The Dresden Files #14.5 - Cold Case)

In this dark and gritty collection—featuring short stories from Jim Butcher, Seanan McGuire, Kevin J. Anderson, and Rob Thurman—nothing is as simple as black and white, light and dark, good and evil..

Unfortunately, that’s exactly what makes it so easy to cross the line.

In #1 New York Times bestselling author Jim Butcher’s Cold Case, Molly Carpenter—Harry Dresden’s apprenti
Published November 1st 2016 by Roc

Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

This was a really good selection of stories. I am really not too big of a fan of anthologies in general because it always seems like a few great stories end up mixed along with some not so great ones. That is not the case in this book. I liked all of the stories found in this book and am really happy that I decided to give it a chance.

I think one of the strengths of this anthology is that there is a little bit of everything in these stories.
Jan 18, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Since I've only read one short story in this anthology I'm not rating it or marking it as read. I do plan to come back to it and read the rest of the stories at some point but in the meantime I'll just review the story I've read.

Sleepover by Seanan McGuire - 3.5 stars
Read 18th January 2017

If you've read the other Incryptid short stories you'll recognise Elsie as Artie's sister and cousin to Verity, Alex and Antimony. I love how supportive she's been to Antimony and was curious to find out more a
Beth
Shadowed Souls is a collection of amazing authors writing shorts to tantalize and expound your imagination. Shadowed Souls is an anthology of short dark urban fantasies that give you a taste for authors you might not have discovered as well as ones you’ve come to love. There are fae, zombies, wizards, genies and more, pretty much providing something for everyone. All these stories are dark, with some shorter than others and the villain that might just turn out not to always being the bad guy/gir ...more
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Shadowed Souls is one of the best collection of short stories I have ever read. Sure there were one or two that I did not fully like as much as the other ones (not bad, just not my cup of tea), but there were several stories that were quite good. I mean I even ordered the first book in Tanya Huff's Vicki Nelson series after finished her short story. That is not something I do often.

What I really liked about the stories is that you don't have to have read anything before by the authors to get th
Melliane
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mon avis en Français

My English review

Cold Case – Jim Butcher
I had the opportunity to read the first volume of the Harry Dresden series without ever read on. I was a little disappointed but the reviews of the following volumes made me want to immerse myself in the story to continue it. We find ourselves here in the same universe, which is very nice, especially while following the faes but it’s true that I was a little lost as I have not read enough of the novels. So, it is true that even I was
Erin
I enjoyed this book a lot. I have my likes and dislikes of course. First of all I am a huge fan of Harry Dresden files and Jim Butcher! Why the Harry Dresden files has not made it to the movies or TV screen is beyond me! My favorite short story wa Cold case. Molly Cartpenter is back and showing off skills the great Harry has taught her. She is the winter queen and bad ass!

My second favorite is What Swells Within. Dark and demon possession while trying to rescue a old friend. Jessie Shimmer is u
Karen
To be fully honest I was interested in this book mainly because it had a story by Jim Butcher and I am always happy to find a new Dresden Files story. This is an anthology that contains 10 short stories all based around the same theme. Each story is based on the idea of good and evil, two aspects of the character and how complicated it can be to live as one or the other. The rating is based on the average of all 10 stories.

Cold Case by Jim Butcher: 3.5 stars
The story is about Molly Carpenter in
Carolyn F.
Anthology. The average rating is 3.89 stars, which I'm rounding up to four. Great anthology.

1. Cold Case by Jim Butcher. Loved it. Loved Molly. The ending was so sad. I hope Molly can figure out an alternative. 5 stars.

2. Sleepover by Seanan McGuire. There was too much going on for such a short story - heartbreak, flirting, kidnapping, rescue, heartbreak - in just a few pages. I think I would have liked it better if everything wasn't so jam-packed. 3 stars.

3. If Wishes Were by Tanya Huff. I've r
CatBookMom
Jan 2018. Skipped through the Jim Butcher story. Enjoyed the KKR, Tanya Huff, and Seanan McGuire stories just as much as before. I liked the Jim C. Hines story and the Rob Thurman one, too; read the Dan Shamble story for the eye-rolls.

March 2017 - Borrowed this to read the Seanan McGuire Cryptid story, "Sleepover, " which is OK, a little story about Elsie, the Price's cousin. But then I squee'd! There's a story with Vicky Nelson and Mike Celucci from Tanya Huff, from my old favorite Blood Price
Marta Cox
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-reviews, netgalley
I saw the name Jim Butcher and just knew I had to read this book. I mean come on, its a collection of urban fantasy stories that come with a huge side of darkness to them. It's all too easy to dislike the monsters but what if the monsters aren't quite the soul sucking bad guys that we usually believe? That's the rub and that's exactly what this anthology delivers.
Ok this is quite a diverse collection and although most of these authors are known to me I did actually discover several that are new
Kathy Davie
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Eleven short stories in an anthology about shadowed heroes.

The Series
"Cold Case" (The Dresden Files, 14.5)
"Sleepover" (InCryptid, 5.1)
"If Wishes Were" (Vicki Nelson, 6.5)
"Solus" (Simon Canderous, 0.5)
"Eye of Newt" (Dan Shamble, Zombie P.I., xx.5)
"What Dwells Within" (Jessie Shimmer, 3.5)
"Impossible Monsters" (Cal Leandros, 10.5)

The Stories
Jim Butcher's "Cold Case"
Truly is cold as it takes place in winter. In Alaska. It's a clash of similar objectives as Molly runs into Carlos, and they agree t
Donna
Apr 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is a collection of urban fantasy short stories. I absolutely loved some of these. They reeled me right in and they had me smiling. But the main problem with short stories, is that they are rarely equal when it comes to the enjoyment factor. Some of these were skimmed quickly. And some were skipped immediately after I got a feel for what kind of short story it was. So I can only do 3 stars...but some of these were 5 star worthy.
Justyna
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I picked up this book only because I saw Jim Butcher's name under the title. I am not a big fan of short stories, but I sometimes read them. Well, I am not going to review each of the story, I wasn't that impressed with them. I liked some of them, I didn't really care about the others and there were ones I started and didn't even finish, they weren't my kind of story.

What was the most interesting for me was Jim Butcher's short story, which takes place shortly after the book Cold Days. It was to
☕️Kimberly

Introduction by Kerri Hughes, read by Julia Whelan. The Foreword was written and read by Jim Butcher. I love gaining insight into this brilliant mind and savior these conversations.

COLD CASE by Jim Butcher, read by Julia Whelan. The tale gives us Molly's perspective in her new role. Mab just loves giving her lessons! This was excellent from the magic to the threat. Grasshopper is clever but at what cost? I have long loved Julia Whelan and felt she did an outstanding job even if I missed Marste
Sheyla ✎
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it

I jumped at the chance to read anything by Jim Butcher and when I saw a compilation of short stories done by him and other urban fantasy authors, I couldn't resist.

Jim is in great company. I have heard of most of the other authors (I love October Daye which is written by Seanan McGuire) but I have only read two besides Jim Butcher before. Now, I can say I have had a taste of their writing style and I'm intrigued about their series too.

But let's go back to the stories. I love the main idea! The
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

SHADOWED SOULS is an anthology packed with Urban Fantasy stories from some amazing authors. I picked this up because of Jim Butcher who has become one of my favorite authors in Urban Fantasy.

Bea
Anthologies can be lots of fun and a great way to try out an author without committing to a full-length story. This one has a few authors I really enjoy, many I'd heard of but hadn't read, a few I read once or twice before, and a few new-to-me authors so it was a good mix.

The stories definitely lived up to the stated theme and there was a good range of styles an settings. Below are little mini reviews of each story, just quick thoughts I had about the story.

Cold Case by Jim Butcher: I may have t
Dee
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
As I only read the Jim Butcher story I've rounded the stars to 4 but to be honest I was pretty disappointed by Cold Case and would've gone down if it was not a collection since just a 3.25 stars for me. Firstly I expected Molly to sound like Molly, not Harry in drag; secondly, it was set just a week into her Queendom; and thirdly if I read the phrase 'young warden' one more time so help me. . .
Now considering this was an unexpected present (and at the time unappreciated as I hadn't begun the gr
Darcy
This review is based only on the following stories:

Cold Case by Jim Butcher - Molly is a character that has been through so much through out this series. It finally seems like she is settling into her skin. Sadly during this story Molly is firmly put in her place and I finally feel a bit sorry for her. I really hope that she can find her way clear.

Sleepover by Seanan McGuire - This story really highlights how an ex can really screw you over once the relationship is done. I loved Elsie let her ex
Kevin
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Truthfully I read this one for the Jim Butcher story...a taste of hopefully much more to come. Molly as the winter lady=awesome!
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Sleepover, InCryptid 5.1

2 stars

Elsie has a bad breakup. Totally pointless.

If you're interested in this anthology (SHADOWED SOULS edited by Jim Butcher), make sure it's for something more than this one.

Jessica Signature
Cathy
The book is about people who are forced to walk on the dark side more than they might like or to live with growing ambiguity as their series goes on and they try balance whether it’s OK to do something, many somethings, wrong for the right reasons. Heroes that start out bright and shiny sometimes start to seem battered, and even a bit tarnished, five or six books into a series. Nothing in a good writer's world is ever quite so simple as it seemed in the beginning.

I do wish they'd tell us what s
Fangs for the Fantasy
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This anthology has a theme – and it’s generally a theme it’s handled quite well. Shadowed Souls are people who do not stand neatly in black and white morality and definitely straddle that uncomfortable grey shadow zone (ooooh title reference).

Firstly we have Cold Case by Jim Butcher with a story from the Dresden Files series. And if anything this is the story that defines the meaning of the book.

I like the exploration of Molly, now one of the younger Winter Queens with all the power and moral am
Devann
I'm not sure if I would technically recommend this book if you haven't read ...basically all of the series that these stories are a part of, or at least that I assume most of them are a part of because they don't seem to stand that well on their own. I pretty much read this solely for Seanan McGuire and Rob Thurman's stories [yeah, I've never read The Dresden Files, so sue me], although I did enjoy Kat Richardson's story as well and have added the first book in her series to my TBR.

The rest wer
Diane
I knew going in that this collection would be darker in mood than my usual preference, but with a bunch of "my" authors included, I wasn't about to skip it! It's not a surprise that my rating average for it is about 2.5 on Goodreads's scale. The stories are all well-written; it's just a question of taste.

To be specific, though trying to avoid spoilers ...
(Authors in bold are ones I usually read.)

Cold Case by Jim Butcher; the Dresden Files universe: The first tale from the PoV of new Winter Lady
Simon MacDonald
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Wow, I can't believe I finished reading this collection of short stories. I enjoyed getting a new Jim Butcher novella set in the Dresden Files universe but every story after that one seemed to get progressively worse. My suggestion is find the Butcher story elsewhere and skip this book.
Melissa
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love a good anthology. You get introduced to new authors and series. The Dresden files story was a nice addition to the series. It focused on Molly and her current situation. Many of the stories in this anthology were interesting, while other were a bit to much for me. I wasn't a fan of some of the more graphic stories. All in all, a nice mix.
Rumana Nasrin
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Butcher never fails to make people's life miserable! Poor Molly!
Debrac2014
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just read Sleepover by Seanan McGuire! Elsie is the main character!
Under the Covers Book Blog
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it

His story, COLD CASE, is all about Molly Carpenter. You may know her as Harry’s apprentice but she is now the Winter Lady. Molly is full of spunk and sass. She’s a whole lot of fun to read and the little bit of romance that Butcher throws into this story is quite interesting. Even more interesting is the t

Madison Mega-Mara...: #32 Shadowed Souls by Jim Butcher 1 1 Mar 18, 2017 03:32PM
Dresden Files: While waiting for Peace Talks 7 49 Aug 16, 2016 10:24PM

• Urban Allies: Ten Brand-New Collaborative Stories
  • Shattered Shields
  • Glitter & Mayhem
  • Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron
  • Straight Outta Tombstone
  • Unbound
  • Dark and Stormy Knights
  • Hex in the City (Fiction River, #5)
  • Westward Weird
  • Weird Detectives: Recent Investigations
  • Dead Man's Hand: An Anthology of the Weird West
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives
  • Games Creatures Play
  • Carniepunk
  • Tales from the Nightside
  • Blood Lite III: Aftertaste (Blood Lite, #3)
  • Besieged (The Iron Druid Chronicles #4.1, 4.2, 4.6, 4.7, 8.1, 8.2, 8.6, 8.7, 8.9)
  • Four Summoner's Tales
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more

The Dresden Files (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)
  • Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
  • Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)
“Dammit, man. I’m a Faerie Princess, not a forensic analyst.” I” 4 likes