Start by marking “Croire Dieu sur Parole : Pourquoi la Bible est claire, nécessaire et suffisante, et ce que cela veut dire pour vous et moi” as Want to Read:

**Seulement disponible en anglais pour l'instant**

The Bible stands at the heart of the Christian faith, but people disagree about its nature and authority. Can we trust the Bible completely? Is it sufficient for our complicated lives? Can we really know what it teaches? And isn't it more important to focus on Jesus instead of the Bible?

With his characteristic wit and clari
Published May 12th 2016 by BLF Éditions (first published April 7th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Croire Dieu sur Parole , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Croire Dieu sur Parole

Mark Jr.
Apr 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, audio
Great stuff, no complaints. I always profit from DeYoung. He succeeded in showing, from the Bible, that the Bible is Knowable, Necessary, and Enough.

He gets three stars only because I'm grading him against his own high standards. He's an expert popularizer, gifted to humbly and memorably teach the church from the Bible using good current scholarship. He makes me think of a children’s author I heard recently talking to the New York Times, who said that his great challenge was to be like Rocky and
Allison Anderson Armstrong
Clear and helpful, written for non-theologians to be able to understand. I feel like I have a stronger faith in the Bible now, and exactly what it says, translation aside. If you want to strengthen your faith in the Bible and why we put our whole trust in it, read this book!
Matthew
Kevin DeYoung is easily one of my favorite writers to read. Since his book with Ted Kluck, “Why We’re Not Emergent,” I’ve enjoyed basically everything he’s written. With his newest, “Taking God at His Word,” DeYoung sets out to rebuild confidence in and love for the Bible, the Word of God, in a world that through various ways and means has sought to belittle and malign it. Beginning with the vision of the Psalmist in Psalm 119, basically a love poem about the Scriptures, and ending with the fami ...more
Becky Pliego
An excellent introduction to the Doctrine of Scripture.
Rachel
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent little book, not scholarly, but a solid starting place for Christians on one of the most important battlefields of our day. We need to get back to Scripture, and *really* believe in the sufficiency, inerrancy, and perspicuity of the Word of God.
Cliff
DeYoung's writing is always clear and engaging. This is my favorite of his books so far. After reading it, I am more hungry to read God's Word. This will be one that I will reread if I feel my zeal for the Bible diminish. Do yourself a favor and read this book!
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2015, apologetics
This is a brief, but well-written defense of a high view of Scripture. He doesn't use the term innerrancy often, maybe only a couple of times. The subtitle of the book is a very good summation of his purpose in writing the book.

The Bible has come under increasing attack over the last two hundred years--especially in our own generation, so much so, that many "scholars" argue that there was no historical Adam, and so on.

DeYoung insists upon the Bible's authority and not putting reason over it, bu
Holly
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS is the book that I have been looking for to have my teenagers read in order to bolster a Biblical worldview regarding the sufficiency of Scripture. Charming, yet easy to read and follow, with examples that bring deep understanding to an otherwise potentially heady subject, Kevin DeYoung's writing style in this book makes the majesty and trustworthiness and transforming nature of the Bible utterly accessible to any literate person, believer and unbeliever alike. His psalmist-like enthusiasm ...more
L-T Hopper
A punchy book on the Bible that gives you the core beliefs about the Bible. The basis for every chapter is a passage from the Bible illustrating the fact that the Bible is it's best witness. It is a clear and simple explanation of the sufficiency, clarity, authority and necessity of the Bible from the Bible. It is helpfully supplemented with historical theology. Overall a very easy book to read and a great introduction to the theology of the Bible.
Kyle Oliphint
What a wonderful providence of God that Kevin DeYoung's newest book, "Taking God at His Word: Why the Bible is Knowable, Necessary, and Enough and What That Means for You and Me" would be published right now. With the attempt to redefine what marriage is, what sex is and for whom, and various attempts in the church and academy to undermine God's Word and our understanding of it (and Him), this is a welcome resource.

Not too long ago my alma mater, Westminster Theological Seminary, was in the mids
Josh
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
Kevin DeYoung is one of my favorite authors and his works prove themselves time and again to be immensely approachable but not light. He covers topics with a striking balance of depth and clarity and I am time and again blessed by his work, be it published books, blog articles, or sermons and lectures. This time DeYoung sets out to tackle the topic of God’s Word. This is a subject of great breadth that you would think could not be covered very well in just 130 pages, but that is just one of many ...more
Anna Chviedaruk
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very short, but a very profound book. It basically is a heartfelt study on what the Bible speaks about itself. We all know these truths, but the author goes deep into opening our hidden attitudes towards the Bible. For example, we might say it's authoritative, but deep down in our heart we disbelief that its historical or genealogical parts are also authoritative and breathed out by God.

So it's a good read and a good reminder of the special status of the Bible.
Also, the composition of
David Batten
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
A winsome introduction to what Evangelical Christians believe about the Bible. If you are just getting into theology, or want to be encouraged in your confidence in the Bible, this is for you.

If you have harder questions about the Bible, this is still an easy start, and he has a list of 30 additional books in the back you could follow up with.
Tommy Barrow
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like DeYoung’s other Books, Taking God at His Word is clear, concise, and compelling. In a world where seemingly everything is regarded as truth, DeYoung takes his stand on the Bible as the Authority of truth. Also, the appendix lists 30 other books the author recommends if you want to dive deeper into Biblical literacy, inerrancy, authorship etc.
Joey
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology, audio-books
Excellent! Highly recommended!
Laurel Hicks
A breath of fresh air.
Christopher Commander
A decent book, gives good summary details without getting bogged down. Would be ideal for someone who hasn't yet read anything on the subject of the attributes of the Bible.
Hunter Newton
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super detail oriented but also not overly heady. Classic DeYoung style writing. He does such a phenomenal job of getting to heart of the questions and unpacking them in such a Christ-centered way.
Ryan
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As usual, Kevin DeYoung is very helpful in translating theological concepts accessible to a wider audience. This is a very good primer on the doctrine of Scripture.
Becky
The full title of Kevin DeYoung's newest book is Taking God At His Word: Why the Bible is Knowable, Necessary, and Enough, and What That Means for You and Me. It's an incredibly lengthy title, but an incredible book almost deserves such a title!

Yes, Taking God At His Word is an incredible book. It is easily one of the best books I've read so far this year. The book opens with a discussion of Psalm 119 and concludes with a discussion of 2 Timothy 3:14-17. Four chapters focus on four attributes o
Rick Shrader
I’ve always appreciated Kevin DeYoung’s style of writing and his solid defense of the Word of God. The sub-title to this book is “Why the Bible is knowable, necessary, and enough, and what that means for you and me.” DeYoung gives the answer to this statement in eight chapters, followed by an appendix: “Thirty of the best books on the Good Book” in which he recommends, at various reading levels, other good books which defend and support the Word of God. DeYoung writes, “Scripture, because it is ...more
Josh Wilson
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been giving most books I've read lately 5 stars, but this is because if I don't think it's 5 star-worthy, I probably won't take the time to finish it. I'd say about this book what one of my professors said at the beginning of a message he preached: "Nothing here is new... just necessary." Kevin DeYoung makes a compelling case for the necessity of his excursus on why the Bible is knowable, necessary and enough. I found chapters 4 and 7 particularly timely. The final chapter is soaring. One o ...more
Mundy Carroll
What I liked about this book: Clear, comprehensible- with the right view of what a good doctrine of Scripture should lead to. His final chapter was great.

I would recommend this book to anyone in my church.

What I didn't like: While it's good, overall, I felt that it's a bit "meh". I don't think he answered questions under the sufficiency of Scripture I'd have liked him to - the questions folks ask about prophecy, and "words from the Lord". While some reviewers have commented on his engagement wi
Lena Morrison
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do my reviews in the form of a letter, which is why they are written like this.

Dear Kevin DeYoung,

I thought this book was very good. It's really refreshing to hear people talk about how God's Word is infallible. I feel like today, with all the (not to be rude) junk that the Emergent Church teaches about Scripture, we need someone to teach that God's Word is God-breathed.
I love the way you started the book with Psalm 119. That needs to be my prayer more often. I want my love for the Bible to
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I attended the book release conference for this book, so when I picked it up after the conference I didn't expect to be as moved as I was (DeYoung was powerful at the conference, but I didn't think much would be left in the proverbial sponge). I was wrong. This book moved me powerfully. It is the best practical excursus on bibliology that I am aware of. I was surprised how convicted I was of my own lack of faith in the power of the Word of God and impressed at Christ's own robust practical bibli ...more
Nathan Moore
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DeYoung is to be commended for writing with clarity, simplicity and originality. I have come to expect great clarity from DeYoung, but I found his originality surprising because he is saying nothing new. Our Father's have warned us, the battle for inerrancy must be fought for in each generation. DeYoung restates the arguments of Warfield, Hodges, and Packer (and Augustine for that matter) in a voice for this generation, all in the the 'erotic' passion of Psalm 119.

Due to its clarity, this has b
Wesley
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DeYoung finds an excellent middle ground in writing a great primer to those who want a book about what a book says about itself. He examines scripture's claims about itself and in doing so shows us that it is clear, necessary, sufficient and altogether wonderful.
The most wonderful things about this book, however, are his resources. Buy this book if only for the annotated bibliography! The annotated bibliography is an aspiring theologians best friend and his is wonderful!

RevKev strikes again!
William
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent, accessible understanding of what the Bible says about itself. The chapters on the Sufficiency and Clarity of scripture are particularly helpful. The chapter on What Jesus said about scripture was very interesting. It concludes with a list of 30 books on this topic which also gives the reading level which will help anyone wanting to study further. Highly recommended for everyone. The book is available in Kindle, Audible, and dead tree version.
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: must-reads
It's too easy to say a book is a must read book, but in today's world of ever-changing understandings of the Bible this book stands out as a quick and concise way of drawing from many of the great references we already had written on inerrancy and presenting it in an understandable and clear manner. It's very encouraging to me as a believer, this little book makes me want to put down the new books and pick up the old book. My bible.
Justin
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book, what does the Bible say about itself, what was Jesus view of scripture. And what should our view be of scripture based off that. This is an easy read, but I plan to re-read it and enjoy it like a hot cup of tea rather than devour it like a chocolate shake. I borrowed this book from the library and plan on buying a copy for my personal library.

• What Is Biblical Theology?: A Guide to the Bible's Story, Symbolism, and Patterns
  • God in the Whirlwind: How the Holy-Love of God Reorients Our World
  • From Heaven He Came and Sought Her: Definite Atonement in Historical, Biblical, Theological, and Pastoral Perspective
  • The Whole Christ: Legalism, Antinomianism, and Gospel Assurance—Why the Marrow Controversy Still Matters
  • Welcome to a Reformed Church: A Guide for Pilgrims
  • Reverberation: How God's Word Brings Light, Freedom, and Action to His People
  • The Gospel: How the Church Portrays the Beauty of Christ
  • Jesus on Every Page: 10 Simple Ways to Seek and Find Christ in the Old Testament
  • Everyone's a Theologian: An Introduction to Systematic Theology
  • Evangelism: How the Whole Church Speaks of Jesus
  • The Shape of Sola Scriptura
  • Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Christian Belief
  • Expositional Preaching: How We Speak God's Word Today
Kevin DeYoung is the Senior Pastor at University Reformed Church (RCA) in East Lansing, Michigan, right across the street from Michigan State University.
“You can exaggerate your authority in handling the Scriptures, but you cannot exaggerate the Scriptures' authority to handle you. You can use the word of God to come to wrong conclusions, but you cannot find any wrong conclusions in the word of God.” 5 likes
“Every true Christian should feel deep in his bones an utter dependence on God’s self-revelation in the Scriptures. Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord (Deut. 8:3; Matt. 4:4).” 3 likes