Start by marking “The Double Life of Mistress Kit Kavanagh” as Want to Read:
The Double Life of Mistress Kit Kavanagh

The Double Life of Mistress Kit Kavanagh

Of all the dangers she faced, the greatest was discovery...

When Irish beauty Kit Kavanagh's husband is taken for a soldier, Kit enlists in the Duke of Marlborough's regiment, disguised as a man, to follow him across war-torn Italy. Risking her life in battle, she forms a close bond with her wry and handsome commanding officer, Captain Ross.

But even when she dresses once mo
Published February 11th 2016 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published July 16th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Double Life of Mistress Kit Kavanagh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Double Life of Mistress Kit Kavanagh

Cora Tea Party Princess
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 Words: Love, war, family, deception, strength.

BOOK HANGOVER ALERT

This book was absolutely amazing. I loved it in every way and at the end I was heartbroken and speechless.

Inspired by Mother Ross, this is a whirlwind of an adventure. Kit has so many identities, and she almost became a different character as her life turned from publican to soldier to spy and her name changed from Kit to Christian to Christiane. But right there, at the very heart of the narrative, she was still the same astoundi
Joey Woolfardis
Dublin 1702. Irish beauty Kit Kavanagh has everything she could want in life. Newly married, she runs a successful alehouse with her beloved husband Richard. The wars that rage in Europe over the Spanish throne seem a world away.

But everything changes on the night that Richard simply disappears. Finding the Queen's shilling at the bottom of Richard's tankard, Kit realises that her husband has been taken for a soldier.

[I reviewed another of Fiorato's books, Beatrice & Benedick, earlier in the
Jane
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The War of the Spanish Succession?

I must confess that, for al the historical novels I’ve read over the years, I knew nothing of that particular conflict but the name. I know now; I learned a lot in the course of a wonderful adventure with a remarkable heroine.

In 1700 Charles II, king of Spain, died without an heir. He willed his throne to Philip of Anjou, and Philip’s grandfather, Louis XIV of France, was quick to declare him king of Spain, and to declare that France and Spain would be united.

Ne
Антоанета
Една книга, която ми беше силно препоръчана, с много положителни и високи оценки и която предизвика моето любопитство най-вече с това, че разказва действителна история - на жена подвизаваща се преоблечена като мъж в английската армия в края на 17, началото на 18 чек. И все пак се оказа, че това не е моята книга - беше ми досадна, на доста места скучна, от книгите които като спреш да четеш изобщо не се сещаш за нея, не си любопитен да продължиш, за да видиш какво следва. Просто книга, която трябв ...more
Деница Райкова
Преди няколко дни, докато се чудех кое да е следващото ми четиво, изведнъж си спомних, че още не съм прочела последната книга на Марина Фиорато. Имам я от година, и оттогава тя си стоеше на рафта и ме чакаше. Ирландска история, червенокоса героиня, любов, войни, битки... а освен това главната героиня се оказа действителна историческа личност. Така че май нямаше какво да ме спре. Харесвам книгите на Марина Фиорато, така че нямаше какво да ме спре да се "потопя" в историята на Кит Кавана.
И не се р
Vicki
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easiest five stars I've ever given! My love affair with Kit began the second I first saw the cover, it's just stunning! Then I read the blurb - it sounded like some kind of Irish Mulan and I was immediately intrigued. It's been a while since I've had time to read a book that I can fully immerse myself in, and this fitted the bill nicely. I don't know what it is about the book that grabbed me so - the plot, the settings and the characters all just had me hooked. The attention to detail is perfect ...more
Jessica O'Toole
Paula Dennan
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Kit Kavanagh is an extraordinary woman. When her husband “disappears” off to become a soldier, Kit, disguised as a man, enlists in order to follow him across war-torn Italy.

The Double Life of Mistress Kit Kavanagh* is based on a true story, with Fiorato obviously putting her own spin on these events.

As I watched Kit grow in strength and courage I was left feeling cold and detached. The story is intriguing, so why wasn’t I connecting with it? Is it because it took me a couple of months to read?
Veronica Barbara
Fantastic book! I loved everything about it. The story is amazing and the way it is narrated really engaging. The descriptions are perfect, it's as if the reader is truly embarking on all Kit's adventures. To top it all the story revolves around a woman who kicks ass - one might think that her adventures are impossible but she is actually a historical figure and hers is a true story. Would give it 10 stars if I could! :D I read almost all of Marina Fiorato's books and I have to admit that this i ...more
Helen White
Thoroughly enjoyed this gender bending solder and spy caper. Kit disguises herself and enlists in the English army in order to find her husband who's gone off to war. Instead she finds comraderie and adventure.
Based loosely on historical truth this is a fascinating travel through battle history. Kit is a resourceful heroine and extremely likeable, it's easy to follow her around Europe on her campaign. Well worth a read.
Jo
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a novelised version of the life of an Irish woman who disguised herself as a man in order to join the army and follow her husband to war. I'd read bits about 'Mother Ross' in several non-fiction books so was quite excited to come across this novel in the library. It's a fantastic tale and Fiorato is a wonderful storyteller. Kit and her life came right off the page to absorb me in her adventures. Even without the fictional parts, this was one remarkable woman.
Beth
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
The Double Life of Mistress Kit Kavanagh was an interesting read for me. I can see why the story appeals to many people who have read this. Intrigued by the premise, I thought it was going to be a tale about an Irish Mulan figure. I had no idea that Kit Kavanagh was a real woman and just as badass as she was described as in the story. It was clear to me that Marina Fiorato had done her research and I found the history of the wars and the ways that Kit disguised herself as a man (including having ...more
Claudia Soylu
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kit Kavanagh die 1702 in Dublin lebte, war eine schöne rothaarige Frau, die jeden Mann haben konnte. Sie entschied sich zum Leidwesen ihrer Tante für Richard, einem Schenker. Aber sie waren glücklich, bis Richard von einem Soldatentrupp zwangsrekrutiert wurde. Kits Tante konnte nicht sehen, wie sie litt und bot an die Schenke alleine zu führen. So begab Kit sich auf die Suche nach Richard. Sie verkleidete sich als Mann und ließ sich rekrutieren. Mit der neuen Soldatentruppe gelang sie auf den Se ...more
Iv Atanasova
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 феминистки звезди.
Историята е по действителен случай и се оповава на една смела жена, която е повече мъж от много мъже. Има и художествени украски, но въпреки това историята на Кит Каварна е... забележителна.
Беше ми приятно да я прочета и да открия изводи, до които съм стигнала и в моя живот, затова колко малки можем да сме хората. И да, всеки на този свят може всичко, зависи от смелостта и ценностите, които има.
Една мъжка книга за жени, проятно четиво и една любовна история, разбира се.
Prestoni
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now that is more like the other a Marina Fiorato books I have enjoyed. What a great story, gripping to the very end. One of those characters you would rather not leave behind.
Babs
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from Hodder via BookBridgr in return for an honest review.

I have to say I loved this book. It follows the story of Kit Kavanagh, an Irish woman, who dresses up as a man to try and find her husband who has been "press ganged" into being a soldier. She embarks on a tremendous journey across Europe, fighting on the battlefields during the Spanish War of Succession. When she unearths the truth about what's happened to her husband, she is placed in even more danger by b
Emma
Jul 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not so familiar with regards to the history that's intertwined in this book, but I love hearing of a story that is in fact in relation to a true story and this book does just that. Set during the 1700s Dublin and Spain, a time of uncertainty of who was to rule over a large active empire that was Europe due to the loss of the childless Charles II.

I found this story a fun and interesting read, a perfect life for Kit and her husband Richard in the delights of their own pub in Dublin. Yet withi
Lesia Joukova
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Ladies and gentlemen! We have a newcomer for my "favorites" shelf! This book definitely needs more reviews so I fervently recommend to all historical fiction fans to bookmark this one.

I loved this book <3 I haven't heard of Marina Fiorato at all until I saw this book tucked away on a bookstore shelf and the cover and the title drew me to it. It didn't disappoint in the least, it even over-delivered, I believe!

The story follows Kit, an Irish newly-married barmaid in the 1700's who jumps on a
Rachel (Confessions of a Book Geek)
Check out my full review here:

5* Read, and definitely one of my favourites of 2016!

The Double Life of Mistress Kit Kavanagh is a fascinating story about a kick-ass woman in the 1700’s, who had amazing strength of character. Fiorato has written a fast-paced, and action-packed novel, that kept me hooked until the very last page. There are themes of friendship, romance, betrayal, LGBT, and what could be considered to be early-feminism within these pages. The
Caroline
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fascinating and based on an amazing true story. Green-eyed protagonist married to green-eyed man!
Tanja
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Denn eine Klinge, die dich einmal geschnitten hat, kann dich nie wieder verletzen." (S. 28)

Meine Meinung:

Katherine, Kit, Kavanagh ist zu Anfang der Geschichte eine glückliche und trotzdem unabhängige Frau. Sie ist selbst eine Tochter eines Soldaten, verheiratet und verdient ihr eigenes Einkommen in einer Schänke. Doch durch ein einziges Ereignis scheint sich ihr Leben komplett umzukremplen. Doch sie wäre nicht Kit, wenn sie ihr altes Leben zurückholen wollen würde, ihr Glück zurück holen, denn
Sonja Gieren

2 Von 5 Sternen ⭐⭐

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
Inhaltsangabe:
Entnommen von: www.randomhouse.de
Nach einer wahren Geschichte – romantisch, genau recherchiert und mitreißend erzählt!
mylittlebookpalace
Handlung:Dublin 1702. Die schöne Kit Kavanagh mit den feuerroten Haaren ist frisch verheiratet und glücklich. Doch dann wird ihr Mann Richard von Soldaten verschleppt, und Kit ist entschlossen, ihn zurückzuholen – koste es, was es wolle. So zieht sie ihm nach und schließt sich, als Soldat verkleidet, dem Regiment des charismatischen Captain Ross an. Kit spürt, dass sie mehr für Captain Ross empfindet als nur Gehorsam und Freundschaft. Doch sie muss nicht nur ihre wahre Identität, sondern auch di ...more
Eva Hechenberger
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
Das ist mein erstes Buch der Autorin und ich fand es wirklich gut. Die Autorin entführt den Leser nach Dublin und zwar ins Jahr 1702. Hier treffen wir auf Kit, die ihren Mann zurückholen will und hierfür so einiges in Kauf nimmt. Sie verkleidet sich und schließt sich einem Regiment an. Allerdings trifft sie hier auf einen Captain und man merkt, dass zwischen den beiden mehr ist.

Persönlich hat mir die Geschichte gut gefallen, denn diese war von Beginn an wirklich spannend und auch interessant. Ic
Arosha Rathnayaka
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG I loved this book! Kit Kavanagh, you are amazing! And Captain Ross...omg..makes me swoon!
Inspired by a true story, Kit sets off into the sunset, masquerading herself as a boy and joins the dragoons, in search of her husband ( who supposedly left for the war too ), which I don't understand why he didn't say his goodbyes in the first place. Anyways, she earns the nickname of the 'pretty dragoon' because of her small build and femminine androgenous looks, but also becomes a fearless and honorab
Littlebookworm
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Kit's husband Richard joins the regiment, Kit takes drastic steps to try to bring him safely back home to Ireland; thus setting out on her own adventure as she poses as a soldier to follow his trail. Joining the Scots Royal Dragoons and under the command of Captain Ross, Kit forges strong friendships and risks her life in battle. However, when she is forced to flee she finds herself acting another role, one no less dangerous, as recruited by the scheming Duke of Ormonde she plays the part o ...more
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much. Definitely recommend! Kit was such a amazingly written character and her arc truly drew me in. I could barely put the book down. This story was in no way predictable and took on so many twists that I had no idea where it was headed next.
Svetoslava
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2018-favs
Две думи: ОБОЖАВАМ ЯЯЯЯ!
Нарочно я започнах, защото ми казаха, че била странна и напук реших да я прочета. Препоръчвам!!!
Brandi
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. A little slow towards the end but still good
Marsha Thalin
Even though this is based on a factual figure it just seemed like an attempt to a romance novel.
  • The Dutch Girl (Renegades of the American Revolution)
  • Song of the Sea Maid
  • Darker Muses the Poet Nero
  • Promises to Keep
  • Liebe ist nur ein Wort
  • Game of Queens: A Novel of Vashti and Esther
  • Vampire Seeker (Samantha Carter #1)
  • The Beast's Garden
  • Maid of Wonder (Maids of Honor, #3)
  • The Edge of Nowhere
  • Tainted Angel (Regency, #1)
  • The Red Lily Crown: A Novel of Medici Florence
  • Things in Jars
  • Summer in February
  • The Lost Daughter
  • Sleep In The Woods
  • Avelynn (Avelynn #1)
  • Trio
Marina Fiorato is half-Venetian. She was born in Manchester and raised in the Yorkshire Dales.

She is a history graduate of Oxford University and the University of Venice, where she specialized in the study of Shakespeare’s plays as an historical source.

After University she studied art and since worked as an illustrator, actress and film reviewer.

She also designed tour visuals for rock bands includ
“With a paring knife she hacked off her waist-length hair just below the chin. Kit felt a shiver of misgiving. How would she net a talking fish now, or tether a dragon? How would she escape from her tower?” 0 likes