Start by marking “L'Ingénu” as Want to Read:
L'Ingénu

L'Ingénu

Un jeune Huron d’ascendance bretonne débarque à Saint-Malo en 1689. Il découvre un coin de province française, retrouve une famille, reçoit le baptême, s’illustre par un fait d’armes contre les Anglais et, pour finir, tombe amoureux de la belle et dévote Mlle de Saint-Yves. Pour obtenir sa main, il doit revenir de la Cour avec un brevet d’officier. Il gagne donc Versailles ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 199 pages
Published 2003 by Editions Larousse (first published 1767)

To ask other readers questions about L'Ingénu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L'Ingénu

Start your review of L'Ingénu
Ahmad Sharabiani
L'Ingénu = The Sincere Huron, Voltaire
L'Ingénu is a satirical novella by the French writer Voltaire, published in 1767. It tells the story of a Huron called "Child of Nature" who, after having crossed the Atlantic to England, crosses into Brittany, France in the 1690s. Upon arrival, a prior notices depictions of his brother and sister-in-law, whom they deduce to be the Huron's parents - making him French.

تاریخ نخستین خوانش: روز چهارم ماه آگوست سال 2009 میلادی
عنوان: ساده دل؛ اثر: ولتر؛ مترجم: مح
Jack
3/5
“Misfortune has its uses.”

This is an enjoyable satirical novella dealing with the main character L’Ingénu (the ingenuous, the naïve). He says what he thinks and does what he wants. As a Huron coming from North America, when he arrives in Britanny, France, he makes many comic misinterpretations due to his lack of awareness of European culture.

Though I appreciated the short chapters and relatively quick plot progression, at times there was a lack of character development and I found it hard to
Ryan
I must say, given what I was expecting for this; I'm rather disappointed. In the last few days, I've been reading through some of the works of Voltaire; and while I indeed enjoyed the 3 others read previously; it was, along with Candide - this novella that I expected to enjoy most. And awhile it may have seemed to be the case upon reading the first half of the story; the second half was where I found the tale going to a place I didn't enjoy.

Considering that, the first half; with it's bawdy and r
Noah Goats
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
This short little satire is typical Voltaire with its mockery of the customs of both the church and state. It’s reminiscent of Candide with its naïve protagonist facing a confusingly unkind world. Unfortunately, it hasn’t aged well and I didn’t care for it.
Patrícia
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Surprisingly good!
Paul Gaya Ochieng Simeon Juma
When I started reading this book I wondered what was Voltaire's point to us. I was aware of the uneasy relationship between himself and the catholic church. The protestants were also so much disagreeable with his ideas. He was outspoken against conventional religion. I believe there animosity towards each other was due to the unyielding nature of the catholic church towards new ideas mostly brought about by the advancements of science. Just like Galileo who was executed after contradicting the b ...more
Lucie
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
(I wonder what Voltaire would think of my three star rating??) (sorry not sorry)
Benoit
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another brilliant and fast-paced satire from Voltaire. Although not as epic, this novella is a philosophical adventure in the vein of Candide and still reads fresh two hundred fifty-three years later.

Through the sharp cynical eyes of Voltaire, the story centers around the journey of its main protagonist l'Ingénu, born Canadian, as he discovers the European society and falls prey to it. Indeed, while l'Ingénu remains pure at heart, having been raised in a free and kind society, he has to learn a
Descending Angel
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: voltaire
Continuing my little marathon of Voltaire, we have L'Ingénu, another satirical novel written in 1767 that tells the story of Huron and his arrival in Brittany France, where he finds his long lost uncle and aunt. Huron obviously doesn't fit into the ideals and culture and interprets things from a more natural/human point of view. It's easy to see why works like Candide got Voltaire into trouble, but the things said in a book like that was way more subtle in my opinion. Here it just straight out c ...more
Noam
Jul 08, 2012 rated it liked it
sometimes i get the feeling voltaire might've been really great if he'd been just a little more earnest and a little less oh look at me i'm voltaire i'm so french and witty ooh la la (authority is bad). he approaches this straightforwardness sometimes, but always goes back to that other side. french people, am i right? this story was very readable and entertaining though. is there anything else by him left to read, after zadig, candide, and this (aside from the essays)?
Marts  (Thinker)
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy, classics
Depicting a satirical look at religious doctrines, traditions, government and laws, Voltaire presents the tale of a Huron Indian, who has just crossed the Atlantic, discovered some family members, and must now conform to their way of life. His misinterpretations of laws and customs prove rather comic in some instances but eventually he is imprisoned for such misinterpretation and loses his lover...

Listen at librivox: http://librivox.org/the-sincere-huron...
Reza Sedgh
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It really helped me to think out of the box , it was informative and entertaining.the most usefull sentence for me , was '' great sadness come after big ambitions.
I really want to investigate about a measure to understand what degree such miseries and unhumane issues have been alleviated in the modern France.

I am also looking for a firm criticism on this book. I would appreciate your suggestions.
Helie
Sep 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uf
I feel like, you've read one novel by Voltaire, you've read them all. Had some good stuff in there, but it felt like there was too much period-specific criticism of the Catholic Church, the Jesuits, etc. Had its insights and some interesting points as well, and did include a pretty early call for increased education of women.
Mahboub Js
it was the best book that i read in my teenagehood , i've read this book about 3 times .it was wonderful.
بهترین کتابی که در نوجوانی خوندم
این کتاب رو من سه بار مطالعه کردم که هر بار باز هم برام تازگی داره
Adi
Jul 12, 2015 rated it liked it
The novel was darker and more pessimistic, compared to the other Voltaire works, which I have read. Maybe this is the main reason I did not like it that much. Additionally, the main characters were a bit vague, and I just couldn't sympathize with them.
Kat
Mar 10, 2016 rated it liked it
There is this big difference between Voltaire and Montaigne. Montaigne reads as if he lived yesterday - Voltaire is a great thinker, but completely from another era. It is a good, easy read, but annoying with didactic tone.
Maria Felgueiras
May 07, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the subtle, and sometimes not so subtle, criticism on church and social interactions at the time.
Lucy
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
it wouldn't be a french book if the woman didn't spend some time in a convent
Louis Beaumont
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
God is dead (with Jesus).

L'ingénu raise difficult points of modern Christianity.
Christianity is like fruits, much less interesting today because of massive artificial selection, Christianity Memes had sex over the generations, changed a lot and has nothing to do with the original one.

Religions are survival heuristics and modern Christianity perform poorly, a Spinozian's God could be considered though.

The man "ingénu" is a man devoid of society's biased, of society's brain washing, he is sort of
Luke
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Voltaire at his best, meaning: at his sharpest, witty, slightly snobby, intelligent, political and engaged. In it incredible how much societal critique and philosiphal concepts a man is able to pack into such a short story. Volaire really was one of the best European writers of his time.
Cleo Nice
Loved the sarcasm.
Adele
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
best Voltaire book I've read. Better expressed.
Rea
Jun 13, 2015 added it
Shelves: french
Read in French for class back in 2005.
I remember enjoying the novel, but that could have been influenced by the fact that I liked my French teacher that year, and he inspired us to enjoy the texts we studied as much as he enjoyed them.
Melissa
I definitely liked Candide more, but that may have been because I actually read it in English and could focus more on subtleties etc. overall I actually did enjoy this but I don't think I can rate it since I read it in French and probably missed a lot!
Leyssandra
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: satire
The Child Of Nature shows just how society ingrains bias and cruel customs in people, and whose lessons can easily be carried to our own time. Voltaire also calls out sexual harassment and abuse which sadly was even more of a thing in the 1700s.
João Morais
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short, fast paced novel about a naive indigenous that is conveted to catholicism.
Filled with a fantastic sense of humor as the Huran questions and challenges the foundations of social norms, one is left to wonder who is, indeed, the naive.
Brendan Doan
Good book.
Read in french.
Håkan
Feb 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
L'ingenu, or the sincere huron by Voltaire. Pretty good book.
Matthew Offner
Jan 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
"Misfortune has its uses" is perhaps a theme in every Voltaire novel (at least in the three that I have read this year). A rather useful philosophy of Old Regime France.
Lamiaa

• Houseboy
  • الأصول الزنجية للحضارة المصرية
  • Manon Lescaut
  • The Suicide Shop
  • Diario di un killer sentimentale
  • The Autumn of the Patriarch
  • Faust, First Part
  • Mangez-le si vous voulez
  • دشمنان
Complete works (1880) : https://archive.org/details/oeuvresco...

In 1694, Age of Enlightenment leader Francois-Marie Arouet, known as Voltaire, was born in Paris. Jesuit-educated, he began writing clever verses by the age of 12. He launched a lifelong, successful playwriting career in 1718, interrupted by imprisonment in the Bastille. Upon a second imprisonment, in which Francois adopted the pen na