Start by marking “The Ghoul Vendetta (SPI Files, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Ghoul Vendetta (SPI Files, #4)

The Ghoul Vendetta

(SPI Files #4)

Men in Black meets Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum in the fourth urban fantasy novel in the series starring seer Makenna Fraser and her fellow agents at Supernatural Protection & Investigation.

The agents of Supernatural Protection & Investigations (SPI) are paid to keep the peace. But that’s not so easy when an endless evil threatens to tear that peace to pieces...

A vampi
Published January 31st 2017 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about The Ghoul Vendetta, please sign up.
Persia Drummond http://www.lisashearin.com/2017/01/15...

"But coming up on Tuesday, January 31 is the release date for the fourth SPI Files book — The Ghoul Vendetta! And for those of you who have been asking, there WILL be an audio book for The Ghoul Vendetta. As soon as I have a release date for that I’ll let you know."(less)

Start your review of The Ghoul Vendetta (SPI Files, #4)
Wanda
2020 Re-Read

Interestingly, I can see this second time through why the publisher was done at this point, leaving Shearin to pursue a self-publishing path. The most important plot lines have been resolved. We know reasonably clearly who the bad guy is. He is classified and provisionally named before being soundly trounced. Both Ian and Makenna are suitably paired off. Makenna has achieved her place firmly in SPI.

Shearin definitely uses Irish mythology to the best advantage in this installment. S
Ami
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelley
*Source* Publisher via NetGalley
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 4.0

*My Thoughts*

The Ghoul Vendetta is the fourth installment in author Lisa Shearin's SPI Files. This is a series that features Makenna (Mac) Fraser as a Seer who works for the Supernatural Protection & Investigation. SPI keeps the peace between the supernatural races, while also keeping the human race from discovering that others live among them. Mac has come a long way from the first novella, to this book. She's grown not only in th
All Things Urban Fantasy
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-by-kate
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.

While I have some small quibbles, THE GHOUL VENDETTA was exactly what I expected from Shearin and The SPI Files. Fun, dramatic, witty and an all around good read, THE GHOUL VENDETTA continues the series in a great way, answering some questions while opening new avenues for the story to go down. This book captivated me from the very beginning, and I read it in only two sittings.

First of all, Mac and Rake. I swear, every scene they had together made me w
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
3.5

I hate when a book is marketed as 'X meets Y' or, even worse, 'if you loved X author, you'll love this book'. I tend to avoid them even when the X author is the one I like.

Reasons I enjoyed this book:
- with the exception of one particular gory detail from the case they are working on, it's light and it doesn't take itself seriously, so you shouldn't either;
- the overall theme (it's not in the blurb, so I'll leave it to the readers);
- the friendship between Makenna and Ian (it's great and ref
What should have been a fun date for Seer Mac and her Goblin boyfriend Rake quickly turns sour when the yacht they're partying on is attacked by a kraken and a bunch of other weird creatures normally only seen in bad sci-fi movies. Things only get worse when ghouls start carrying out perfect bank jobs and eating any security guards who come anywhere close to catching them in the act. Throw in an old vendetta against her SPI partner Ian and shocking kidnap and Mac realises the stakes have never b ...more
Ambrosia
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
This series is urban fantasy. Each book is a self-contained episode in the life of Makenna Fraser, seer to a supernatural police force.

The books are fairly light and short. Emphasis on action, less on character development or substance.

Better to read the books from the beginning, even though each book explains the background.

There is a very little romance, but it's neither the focus of the story nor is it well developed. So the relationship between the h and her romantic interest continues to
farmwifetwo
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: paranoramal
I've attempted to read this book multiple times and I get bored and try again and return it to the library, and I just took it out again. I've read the start and the end and...

It's not a bad story. The writing isn't poor. The characters are just fine. I just cannot get into it.

It's just me.
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
SPI agent Makenna Fraser points out that bad stuff always seems to happen around her, and she’s not kidding. The Ghoul Vendetta opens with Mak and Goblin Lord Rake Danescu on a yacht in the Hudson, along side several of the supernatural world’s bigwigs, when it is attacked by a kraken and other sea creatures. What is even more strange is that no one is hurt and everyone is left alone as soon as their target, a vampire mob boss, is kidnapped. Soon after, a familiar foe turns up, robbing banks and ...more
Stacy
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, requested
The SPI Files series is full of well developed characters, interesting story lines with plenty of mystery and lots of action.

Trouble always seems to find Makenna and her boyfriend Rake is usually with her when it happens. Their date doesn't go as planned when the ship they're on is attacked and someone is kidnapped. Since he was kidnapped by creatures that don't belong in this world, Makenna and her partner Ian end up on the case. If you're a fan of the Raine Benares world get ready to be excit
Jess
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
1.5 stars. This one didn't work for me at all. If it hadn't been by an author I usually like, it would have been DNF. The plot was overly convoluted with too many not-well-defined players. Some of the dialogue was eyeroll inducing. The romance between Rake and Makenna happened so far off the page that when Rake (view spoiler) it came off as preposterous.

I'll still give the next
Meghan
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I can't believe it's taken me until now to see the ties from this series to the Raine Benares series. Is a Rake Tam's son??? Now I will have to go back and read the series again. I love the sarcasm and humor
Dakota
3.5
While I enjoyed this book I felt that a big part of the book was more of Mac rambling on and repeating a lot of stuff that could have given room to more development. Finishing this book made me smile and I will continue to read this series, but I wish there would be less telling and more happening. It did tie up a lot of plotlines from the previous books which was good.
Bambikai
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
1.5 stars rounded up
Nancy D   Miz-Firefly aka Sparky
The Ghoul Vendetta is a fast fun read that kept me entertained. I adore Shearin's stories. Always plenty of action and surprises. So why three stars? Here my problem. It's frustrating when authors don't do what you want them to do. I like Mac. It took a while to warm up to Ian, but once I did that was it. He's my guy. I Do Not like Rake. It's safe to say it was hate at first sight. From their first meeting in the short story "Lucky Charms" he was a smarmy arrogant manipulator. I can't put that a ...more
Kara Babcock
Previously, on Ben’s reviews of THE SPI FILES…:

… the intimations of bigger and better story arcs continue here. Once again we have a direct reference to the face-shifting ghoul terrorizing Ian. (According to the Goodreads series list, the next book is The Ghoul Vendetta, so I’m guessing we’ll soon get some pay-off on that arc!)

I was going to criticize the covers and complain about how they’re all different poses of Mac and Ian waving weapons around …

Plus, it’s nice that the covers acknowledge
Melanie
My review and an extended sample of the audiobook are posted at Hotlistens.com.

I was so excited to be back in the world of SPI and Makenna Fraizer. I’ve loved this series since I listened to the prequel story, Lucky Charms in the Night Shift Anthology. This series has been full of action, humor and really fun characters. Add in Johanna Parker’s narration and I’m in love.

Mac is a seer, she can see through glamours, which is how she got her job at SPI. SPI works around the world to keep the supern
Ben Truong
The Ghoul Vendetta is the fourth book in the SPI Files series written by Lisa Shearin and centered on Makenna Fraser, a former tabloid journalist, turned covert agent for the Supernatural Protection & Investigations (SPI) when she discovered she had the gift of second sight.

Makenna Fraser is out for a date with her dark mage ghoul boyfriend, Rake, hobnobbing with the rich, elite, and supernatural, when a kraken attacks and their host is kidnapped by sea monsters. The attack proves to be just the
Barbara
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great addition to the SPI Files series, this time Makenna Fraser, her partner Ian Byrne and her new boyfriend Rake Danescu are after a gang that is made up of beings that resemble Creatures from the Black Lagoon and lead by the evil shapeshifter that has been causing Ian nightmares for years. Now he’s upping the ante by kidnapping a vampire gang leader's nephew and knocking off several banks that targeted vampire’s safety deposit boxes. If he’s not stopped, it could mean the return of an ...more
Cardyn Brooks
The vibe in The Ghoul Vendetta is reminiscent of Kim Harrison, Eileen Wilks, and Jim Butcher approached with a more lighthearted touch. This fourth entry in the SPI Files series totally worked for me as a stand-alone without having read the first three titles. Fun.
Margaret
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
In previous books in the SPI Files series, Agent Makenna “Mac” Fraser and her partner Ian Byrne have repeatedly encountered a mysterious villain from Ian’s past. He poses as a ghoul, but they know he’s really something much more powerful. In The Ghoul Vendetta, they’ll finally discover just who and what he is and the reason for his grudge against Ian. But first, they have to find a missing vampire, heir to the powerful Bathory family, who was kidnapped off his yacht by sea monsters while Mac and ...more
Olga Godim
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
An OK urban fantasy novel, this latest installment of the author’s SPI Files series (where SPI stands for Supernatural Protection & Investigation agency) relates a new story about the series’ protagonist, Makenna Fraser, and her friends. A bunch of dimension-hopping ghouls have committed a few daring bank robberies lately. Humans have been killed. Makenna and friends have no choice but to investigate.
Fast moving but utterly forgettable.

Lynne
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked the book but my only problem was that this battle that was being hyped up for the whole book was written in ten pages. Kinda disappointed it wasn't a bigger part of the book. Felt rushed. Felt like the author just did the simplest way to resolve the conflict. But I still love Lisa Shearin and her books
Theresa Derwin
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Ghoul Vendetta (SPI Files 4)
Author: Lisa Shearin
Publisher: DAW
Page count: 292pp
Release date: 31st Jan 2017
Reviewer: Theresa Derwin

The fourth in the SPI Files series starts in June, and Agent Mac Fraser has been working with her partner Agent Ian Byrne for about a year now.
SPI, the agency of the title, is a government agency with its HQ in New York, which acts as the supernatural equivalent of of the FBI/CIA etc dealing with supernatural or mythical criminals and crimes whilst protecting inno
Nightwitch
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
As other reviewers have mentioned, Shearin tends to repeat herself, particularly when it comes to background descriptions. Every time a character is introduced we get a description of them which seems almost word-for-word with the description used in earlier books. I did not love the plot of this one - I missed Ian when he'd been kidnapped, and I felt like the ending was (view spoiler) ...more
Henriette
Mar 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I really liked the Raine Benares series, every new book was a must-read for me, meaning that I would read them immediately after being published. For some reason the SPI files don't hold the same kind of fascination for me, though they should be right up my alley. Basically they are Raine Benares meets Hellboy.

It is rather hard to say why I am not more interested in the series. I think that there are basically 2 reasons: (1) there isn't enough humor and (2) the characters are absolutely bland.

In
Aki
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Molly Smith
I really enjoyed this latest in the SPI Files series. Mac's race to save her partner was just as gripping as her continuing relationship with Lord Denesku (please pardon spelling errors...I'm an audio listener only). With the big bad that escaped from the last novel, I thought he would be sure to be involved in this one, but we had a different big bad. One that returned with a vengeance. I continue to love this series, not only is the mythology fascinating, but the characters are so compelling. ...more
Jennifer Wadsworth
This review is for the print version. Originally posted on 1/23/2017 at One Book Two. I received a review copy of this book from the author/publisher. All opinions are my own.

Makenna "Mac" Fraser gets to play the hero when her partner, Ian, is abducted by the many-faced creature that has been stalking him for years. Determined to get him back, Mac won't rest as she pulls together every resource she can to find Ian and bring him home alive.

I absolutely love this series! Mac and Ian and Rake and a
Kari Chapman
The Ghoul Vendetta seems to take place a year or two after the previous book. I kept catching time references that seemed to place it differing amounts of time later. Despite the time, it doesn't seem like much has changed. Despite dating for a year or two at this point, apparently Rake and Mac hadn't even kissed yet.

The opening is exciting. Ian's arch-nemesis is back and operating openly. We learn some very interesting things and see the skills of more SPI staff.

While I enjoyed the beginning,
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Night Shift (Kate Daniels, #6.5; SPI Files, # 0.5; Psy-Changeling, #12.5; Barbarian, #1)
  • Booked for Murder (Vigilante Magical Librarians, #1)
  • Emerald Blaze (Hidden Legacy, #5)
  • Storm Called (Royal States, #1)
  • Breaking and Entering 101 (The Case Files of Henri Davenforth, #4)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Cast in Wisdom (The Chronicles of Elantra, #15)
  • Grave Humor (Magical Romantic Comedies, #10)
  • How to Rattle an Undead Couple (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #9)
  • How to Survive an Undead Honeymoon (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #8)
  • Urban Enemies
  • Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
  • Downpour (Greywalker, #6)
  • Circle of the Moon (Soulwood, #4)
  • Playing with Fire (Magical Romantic Comedies, #1)
  • The Queen's Advantage (Rogue Queen, #2)
  • Fearless (Pax Arcana, #3)
  • Night and Silence (October Daye #12)
Lisa is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Raine Benares novels and The SPI Files.

Lisa is a voracious collector of fountain pens, teapots & teacups both vintage and modern. She lives on a small farm in North Carolina with her husband, four spoiled-rotten retired racing greyhounds, and enough deer and woodland creatures to fill a Disney movie.

SPI Files (7 books)
  • The Grendel Affair (SPI Files, #1)
  • The Dragon Conspiracy (SPI Files, #2)
  • The Brimstone Deception (SPI Files, #3)
  • The Myth Manifestation (SPI Files, #5)
  • The Phoenix Illusion (SPI Files, #6)
  • The Solstice Countdown (SPI Files, #7)

News & Interviews