Start by marking “Freshers” as Want to Read:
Freshers

Freshers

Uni beckons. Phoebe can't wait to be a fresher - especially since her crush from school will be there too. She'll be totally different at Uni: cooler, prettier, smarter ... the perfect potential girlfriend. She'll reinvent herself completely. But Luke's oblivious, still reeling from the fallout of the break-up with his ex. Thrown head first into a world of new friends, par ...more
Published August 3rd 2017 by Delacorte

To ask other readers questions about Freshers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freshers

Start your review of Freshers
Maddie
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had so much fun reading this and thinking about my Freshers experience! (Spoiler: it involved zero drinking and a lot more Netflix!) It reminded me a lot of my fave graphic novels series of all time, Giant Days, and the female friendship in 'Freshers' was equally strong. I laughed out loud a lot, too, which hardly ever happens, so it must be funny! Also, I need to applaud that ending because I didn't see it coming but I respect it SO MUCH.

If you're 18 and are looking for a YA that represents
Dannii Elle
You can find my full review of this book and many others on United by Pop.

Finally! A book that lends an authentic voice to recapping the university experience! This split-perspective narrative from the the two authors that co-penned this, meant that a diverse array of experiences were covered and almost every sort of Freshers participation exposed.

Freshers reminded me of my own university experience and Tom Ellen and Lucy Ivison wonderfully and authentically brought to life the heady heights and
Holly Bourne
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's very early to call it, but I'm calling it - Freshers is the funniest YA book of the year. It's snort-tea-out-of-your-nose hilarious. It also totally nails the chaotic giddiness of being a university student - YA readers will completely relate, whereas older readers will grin uncontrollably with nostalgia.

However, in amongst all the laughter, Lucy and Tom tackle the darker and deeper issues lurking in student life behind stolen traffic cones. The books expertly explores campus culture of to
Alice (Married To Books)
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
I met both authors last year at a book signing for Freshers, I was super excited to read this one as there isn't many YA novels that are set during the start of University life. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by most of the humour featured and the settings of a University campus.

Freshers follows Phoebe and Luke, both are first-year students at University but went to school together. It mostly follows their life, living in halls of residence and meeting new people. Some of the drinking scene
Alaina
I have received this ARC from NetGalley for an honest review.

Freshmen was a really cute book. It's a dual POV from Luke and Phoebe and it's about their first year at college. Their experiences are way different than my time in college.. especially my Freshmen year. I went to about 3 colleges: The first, was out of state and felt like it was basically a community college than a university. The second, was actually a community college in my home town and was extremely easy. Third, and my last swit
Bee
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ukya, standalones
This is definitely one of the most fabulous books I've read this year. I loved literally everything about it! The way the characters interconnected, the voices, the humour, how it ended...everything! It was so realistic to the Freshers experience, the only thing is no one was incapacitated for two weeks with freshers' flu!

I couldn't predict where the story was going, and the way it's split up into five parts really drives the plot. (A contemporary with plot? Who knew!) I REALLY need a sequel! A
Stacey (prettybooks)
Tom Ellen and Lucy Ivison are two of my favourite YA authors and are among the funniest, loveliest people in UKYA. With Freshers, Lucy and Tom show that you can write YA about 18-year-olds and you can set in university, and it is not this mythical New Adult category. University stories are rare in UKYA – and I'd love to see more!

Freshers, narrated by Luke and Phoebe, captures the first year of university excellently. Both Luke and Phoebe's experiences as first years are quite different to mine –
Georgina
✨3.5 stars✨
I haven’t posted a proper review in months and this is the first book I’ve finished so far this year so I feel like a bit of a fake, but I do have a good, genuine reason: university. So it feels quite fitting that this book is my return to goodreads. This book wasn’t necessarily anything special, but it was real. It was realistic and I felt like at any point all of the events of the book could be happening to the people around me at uni and it wouldn’t be at all out of place. It defin
Carlene Inspired
Freshmen is the story of two young adults from the same high school that find their lives entangled during their freshman year of college. Phoebe is the smart, pretty, but usually lost in the masses girl that's set out to be a new version of herself. She'll be fun, she'll party, she won't have a curfew, and everything will be great, especially since her longtime crush is there too. In just one week Luke breaks up with his girlfriend, makes just one true new friend, and lands himself a spot on th ...more
Becky
I was so, so, so unexplainably excited to read this and I've just been dropped on my arse. I couldn't finish it - I didn't enjoy it. I couldn't connect to the characters, to the setting, to the story... nothing seemed to do it for me and it just wasn't the fun read I thought it was going to be. It read more like a "this happened, then this happened, then this happened, ooo dramatic plot twist, then this happened"... and it was all very dull to be honest.

Oh well! Onwards and upwards!

Definitely g
Vicky Again
I read this really quickly in one night (there's just something about contemporaries and nighttime that really works for me) and I did enjoy reading it.

But, there were a few things that I wasn't peachy keen on.

I really liked how this was a college book because we're lacking a lot of YA literature in this genre. A lot of the times when you do find a college book, it's usually a smut college book and not something suitable for understanding that transition from high school to college.

Teen readers
Samantha (WLABB)
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, arcs, ya, contemporary
The transition from high school to college can be really difficult. Freshmen follows Phoebe and Luke they attempt to find their way, and themselves, in this new setting.

• Pro: My favorite thing about this book was probably the humor. I laughed so much!

• Pro: We are seeing more and more of these YA-goes-to-college books, and I really appreciated the way Ellen and Ivison explored how difficult the transition can be. The juxtaposition of Phoebe and Luke was perfect, showing one, who was flourishin
Eileen (BookCatPin)
I had a great time reading Freshmen! Honestly when I originally picked up the book I thought it'd be yet another typical drama-filled teen story. The humour in this one though really made it stand out.

Freshmen was a quick read in the most addictive way. The writing was easy to take in and the dialogues were laugh-out-loud hilarious. I was grinning madly and laughing away at/with the characters. It was impossible to peel my eyes away from the sh*t show happening on the pages. While things were a
Lucy (TheBookBelle)
One of the best YA books I've read all year! ...more
Jen Ryland
Really fun! Not the typical YA but I enjoyed that.

Check out my full review here on JenRyland.com! Check out my Bookstagram! Or check out my Jen In Ten reviews on Youtube - get the lowdown on current books in 10-30 seconds!

Thanks to the publisher for providing an advance copy for review!

Sarah c
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it
It was nice funny story to read if your going to uni my favourite character was Josh he seem caring and was there for Phoebe when she needed someone. I didn’t like Luke he was weak character for me.It felt all the characters had different stories but by the end of book nobody got what they want it left unfinished.
Ana
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
A+ for capturing that I have no fucking clue what I’m doing vibe from freshman year at college. Also had some great female friendships and found family feels. But idk, the story just never felt like it was going anywhere. I enjoyed the ending tho.
Nav (she/her) 🌧
I really enjoyed reading this book, a lot more than I actually thought I would.

Freshers follows the lives of Phoebe and Luke, two students who have just started University.

The thing I loved most about this book is that it gives the reader a real life and believable insight into what Uni is actually like and what happens during and after freshers week.

It didn't just show the good, it showed the bad, the messy and the awkward too and I really appreciated this.

Most of the characters felt so believa
Natalie
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant!

I read this in one day - and that's rare for me, the world's slowest reader - and I found it hard to put down.
This book is SO BRITISH. If you've been to university, you'll relate, if you haven't, you'll experience it with this book.
The characters are a lot of fun, the story was pretty much just a few people trying to survive their first term of uni but that's always entertaining, and it ended on a good yet realistic note. Very satisfied with this read.

I personally think this
theresa
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the setting of this book is York.a university in York.dorms,cheese toasties (v v smelly brie?? cheese too) and multilayered relatable characters,that are often confused, kissing or drunk (or all three at the same time)what more do you need in a contemporary?harry potter reference?oh we have those as well.
Mehsi
A new book by the power duo Tom Ellen and Lucy Ivison! Yeah, I would call them that, as I love their books more and more with each new book. :)

This one was an absolute delight. We see the first term of the first year of university through the eyes of Will and Phoebe. We see parties, see them struggle with living alone (missing friends and family), see them figure out what to do with life, we see them have fun, we see romances and flings bloom, and so much more.

Phoebe was my absolute favourite c
Melina Kopanaki
Sep 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, i had been writing a massively detailed review and my phone literally DIED so now I’m super pissed. Anyway, I’ll try to rewrite it but I doubt it will ever be as good as the og one😄
This book surprised me, but in a good way. I expected it to be this shallow, typical love story that seems romantic and sweet but actually derives from low standards, yet the authors impressed me.
Basically, from my point of view, the book focuses on the fact that college is a whole new chapter in a persons life
Michelle
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tom Ellen and Lucy vision are a writing duo to be reckoned with, their books never fail to draw me in and also make me laugh. So when I heard about Freshers I knew it was a book I had to read.
Leaving school at 16, I went straight to college for two years, and then six months later into full time work, so I never really experienced the uni life, of staying away from home and rooming with strangers-soon-to-be-friends, so I'm living vicariously through Phoebe and Luke.

We are introduced to this duo
Luna
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a bit of a breath of fresh air and I enjoyed reading it! It gave me a bit of insight of what college is like in England which was cool to read about.
Freshmen is about two students from high school who end up at the same college and their journey with relationships, friendships and school.
This book had good character development and I felt like I was able to fully understand each character and their thought process. With the two main characters Luke and Phoebe, the in depth writing
Anne Oftedahl
Well, that was... Intense...
I originally picked up this book during the summer as a way to try to figure out what it means to be a firstyear at uni in the UK, but didn't get around to reading it until I'd already started uni.
And sure, some parts are very on-point (such as stupid firealarms and the uncertainty everyone feels), but some parts were kinda out-there. I really hope the "Wall of Shame" is purely fictional, and I sincerely doubt anything even similar to that exists at University of Winc
Mara (marasfoldedpages)
I think that Frankie was my favourite character, she was so true and hilarious the whole time, she was the best part of this novel. I also related to Luke, as I know what it’s like to base your life on someone, and then have it all taken away and be lost for a while.

This novel was also somewhat British, which I wasn’t aware of when I first started it, so I was imagining a Canadian or American style of college. I mostly clued in with their increasingly British mannerisms and when they joined the
Karen Barber
Any book that can have you snorting with laughter and welling up...big thumbs up!
Freshers week is a particularly odd experience, and some of the memories are better than others. What this summed up so well was that mix of heady excitement at being independent, and utter terror at having to find your own way through things without relying on your safety-net.
Told through alternating views this was great fun. Phoebe and Luke have had very different school experiences...and their first term at unive
The Blonde Bookworm
What a fun read! I really enjoyed this entertaining novel and it brought me back to my college days. I thought it was a pretty realistic view of what the college life is like and it was pretty true to what happens in those four years. The characters were well developed and I loved the way the authors switched between voices with ease.

All in all, it was entertaining and kept me reading late into the night. It brought back fun memories and I think it was a very relatable novel. Thank you to NetGa
Katie Hurse
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars - I really enjoyed this book, it may be the funniest I've read, actually. I loved all the British uni culture, although I personally could've done with less clubbing and drinking because I don't enjoy that anymore as a person, but it makes sense in the theme of the book of course. I loved the majority of the characters, but Frankie was by far the best - will go down as one of the best 'best friends' I've read. Her and Negin bounced off of each other brilliantly and that bathroom scene ...more
Ellen
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hello UK New Adult!! Finally. I've been waiting for you for a long time.

This book captured what it's like to be a fresher (I can't say for sure because I'm not a fresher yet) but it felt accurate. The characterisation, especially of the side characters, was very compelling. I liked all of them. I felt like I too was a member of D-Block.

The storyline was entertaining enough. As individual characters, I felt like Luke and Phoebe didn't hold my attention as much as the other characters did, but t
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Upside of Falling
  • The Best Laid Plans
  • Surviving Adam Meade
  • Watch Over Me (Come Back to Me, #4)
  • 9 Days and 9 Nights
  • The Boy Most Likely To
  • Together We Caught Fire
  • Today Tonight Tomorrow
  • The Falling Between Us
  • Run Away With Me (Come Back to Me, #3)
  • Field Notes on Love
  • Kissing Max Holden

News & Interviews

Jordan Morris is a comedy writer and podcaster whose credits include @Midnight, Unikitty! and Earth to Ned.  The sci-fi comedy Bubble is his...
“My phone started flashing on the bed. I looked at the screen, then looked up. "Fuck."
"Who is it?" Negin frowned. "Why do you look so scared?"
"Oh my god, is it ISIS?" Frankie yelled.
"Yes, it's ISIS," Negin yelled back. "They always phone Phoebe before they strike.”
2 likes
“What should I do?" I turned to Negin.
"I don't know."
"Are you a doctor or not?" I screeched.
"As I have said a thousand times, I won't be a doctor for seven years.”
1 likes