Start by marking “Daughter of the Sun (Cult of the Cat #1)” as Want to Read:
Daughter of the Sun (Cult of the Cat #1)

Daughter of the Sun

(Cult of the Cat #1)

Sixteen-year-old Trinity was born during a solar eclipse and left at the doorsteps of a convent along with a torn piece of papyrus covered with ancient symbols. Raised by nuns in the English countryside, she leads a quiet life until she’s whisked away to the Island of Cats and a grandmother she never knew.

But before they can get to know each other, her grandmother dies. Al
Kindle Edition
Published May 1st 2016

Mohammed Arabey
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute cat Girl, Trinity, orphan with a mysterious family legacy.

A cold Aunt, Dr. Bithiah Nassri, even with her own daughter.

In a very rich urban fantasy full of myths, twists, and a lot of Cats.

As; 1) a big fan of Harry Potter, 2) Love of Cats, 3) being from Egypt; It was natural to find it a great read.
"Cats are beautiful, mysterious animals. But let’s face it, it’s not like they have a great reputation. You can’t really trust them. They have a dual nature that can be unpredictable. They look
Sabrina
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Checkout my full review on my blog! http://omgbooksandmorebooks.blogspot....

Daughter of the Sun was quite unique. There is a lot of Egyptian mythology and cats, which I enjoyed a lot. The history was wonderfully woven through the story and didn’t slow me down. The god and goddess are explained in short detail but are important to the overall context of the story. Zoe Kalo has done a wonderful job in a debut novel. The pacing was perfect and there was a direction in the novel that was faced past.
Shomeret
I decided to try this YA indie fantasy because I love cats and I'm interested in the Egyptian cat goddess, Bast. So I received a review copy from Book R3vi3w Tours.

The cover gave me the impression that this book would be set in ancient Egypt. So I was surprised to learn that it begins in contemporary England where Trinity, the sixteen year old protagonist resides in a convent. At the outset, Trinity believes that she has no relatives. Yet she does have an affinity for cats and surprising para
Bookish Indulgenges with b00k r3vi3ws
Trinity was born on a solar eclipse and left at an orphanage door with nothing but a mysterious papyrus to her name. She is then raised by the nuns in a quiet countryside till she discovers that her grandmother is alive and living on an island. At sixteen she is shipped off to live with her grandmother on an island of the cats. Unfortunately, the reunion did not last long as her grandmother dies and she is left to fend for herself while discovering her own truth.

Trinity as a character is quite l
Michelle
**You can see this full review and more at Book Briefs: http://bookbriefs.net**

Daughter of the Sun is the first book in the young adult Cult of the Cat series by Zoe Kalo. Daughter of the Sun is a young adult mythology based on ancient Egyptian mythology. I love all kinds of Mythology and the ancient Egyptians are some of the most fascinating because to me, there myths are the most rooted in history. It is so easy to believe in the magic surrounding their pharaohs because they actually existed.
Kate's Corner
Alas I can only give it 3 Cult of the Cat Stars.

Full of mystery, an engaging read filled with secrets, Egytian mythology. A strong heroine who is persistant, wants answers and isn't afraid to get them.

Trinity grew up in an orphanage. Just before she turns seventeen her long lost Grandmother finds her and she is taken to the Island of Cats to her Grandmother. Questions upon questions arise. Trinity is a chess piece in a game that she doesn't want to participate in.

Ms. Kalo certainly did her ho
Annelise Lestrange
Review originally posted on The Book Adventures of Annelise Lestrange :)

I received this copy from Xpresso Book Tours in exchange for an honest review. Let's go :D

The Story - Goodreads Blurb

But
I.A. Ashcroft
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mythology lovers, YA readers, people who like Percy Jackson and the like
I was gifted a review copy of this book, and wow, I'm happy I was. This has been a delight to read, from beginning to end. Do you love mythology? Adventure? Cats? You'll love it. Kalo is a talented writer, and I entirely look forward to the next books in this series.

Here's some details, if the glowing praise above isn't enough. Trinity, the star of the book, is a teenager with a seething temper under the surface, demanding answers no one will give her, unsure of her place in her increasingly bi
Eti Mishra
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
You can read full review here

This book was a fun read and taking into consideration that it is a debut novel I must say the writer put things together wonderfully.

When I was a kid, I used to love reading mythologies. However, most of the books that I read were based on Greek mythologies. This book was different! This book was based on Egyptian mythology and for me this book was stunning and I loved the writing.

This book didn’t bore me and it was a page turner with lot of twists and turns. I love
K.S. Marsden
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Trinity has led a humdrum life, raised by nuns in England after being abandoned at birth. She longs for more, but couldn't dream of her long-lost family whisking her away to the island of cats, which is only the tip of the mystery.

I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

It took me a while to get into it, but this turned into a really good read.
It's a nice, light YA Fantasy, as it follows Trinity as she explores her new home, her new freedom and the mysterious changes to her body.
Jennifer Wertz
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of Daughter of the Sun for free from the author for an honest review. I loved this book. It is a bit different from what I usually read and I really enjoyed it. The story is very interesting. The characters are well developed. I like the main character Trinity. I like how the Egyptian history and myths are incorporated into the story. It is exciting and dramatic right to the end of the book. It was difficult to put the book down once started. I am looking forward to reading the ...more
Merril Anil
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Merril by: Bookish Indulgenges with b00k r3vi3ws
Walking like the Egyptian Gods

First of all a huge thanks to the b00kr3views and the author and her team for lending me a copy of the book to read and making me a part of the book blog tour

The book actually made me intrigued about Egyptian mythology since the basis of the book is Egyptian gods and folklores and being an avid fan of Greek Gods and mythology, my experience with Egyptian version had been almost to nil and perhaps after reading this I can say I feel like reading a bit on them

Let
Maniparna Sengupta majumder
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Frankly, this is the second book I've read based on Egyptian mythology. Though we have a plethora of plots based on Greek and Nordic mythos, but such consistency is not seen with the Egyptian mythology. Murder in the Place of Anubis (Lord Meren, #1) by Linda S. Robinson was the first book I came across steeped in Egyptian Gods.

However, Zoe Calo's novel deals, as the blurb shows, with the feline Goddesses. It's the story of Trinity, an orphan left at the doorstep of a nunnery with only an envelop
Kristy
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read my full review here on Deluded Rambling.

I really had no idea what to expect from this book going in. To be honest, my hopes weren't very high. I was chosen to receive this book for free in return for an honest review. I was a bit skeptical because I could see that it was self-published and only available as an eBook... usually a sign of not very good quality writing (I know, that's extremely biased and unfair... but the advent of digital publishing makes it too easy for any random person to
Whitney Goyette
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy of the book from the author via Voracious Readers Only. I really enjoyed this book. It's difficult to put down, you want hurry and finish it so you don't have to keep guessing at what is coming. It had enough real life drama, mixed with history/facts to keep you engaged and interested. The setting was unexpected given the topic, but I feel that's part of the charm. It's taking "old world" beliefs and bringing them into a modern setting. It was beautifully written. ...more
Pratibha Pratibha
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
If a book can make you quit your Saturday chores and you spend 3 hours of nap time reading , it's gotta be good. This was good one. A little predictable I admit , but still fun. Perhaps I have read quite a number of fantasy that the plot no longer matters most time. The writing was fluid , fun and engaging
Sherry Lynn
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not a normal kind of read for me.

Daughter of the Sun is filled with action and adventure.
With a combination of Egyptian mythology and cultism Daughter of the Sun is a captivating read.

A page turner that will keep the reader engaged and turning the pages to the end.

The series promises to be great!

I received a complimentary copy from Author Assistant.
Heather Nelson
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was excited when I read the premise of this book and knew there would be lots of cats in it. I'm also a fan of mythology, so that intrigued me as well. This book kept me up way too late at night because I couldn't put it down. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.
Megan
I enjoyed reading this book, a lot more than I expected. At first I wasn't too into it, I didn't get what was happening or why, but I slowly began to understand and the more I did the more I liked the story. I loved the connection to ancient Egypt. I'd definitely consider reading the next book in the series.

I received a complimentary copy of this book to review. I was asked to give my honest opinion of the book - which I have done.
Vika aka ♔ of GIF & Grumpy Smut-ateer *P/T Freebie Fairy

"Blood moon. I’d been mesmerized, as if its eerie splendor had spoken to me in an ancient, alien language. I hadn't been able to understand it, but I’d felt faint by its allure."

Do you know that feeling when you get drawn to a book... put on a path of destiny to pick up a book that just calls to you, well that is exactly what happened when I stumbled upon this jewel. Ironically since the book is all about destiny and fate. I have always enjoyed a great story that has deep roots in history

Estelle Verster
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic read. I loved it! Mesmerizing. Gripped me from the start. I read until 4 in the morning. Just couldn't put it down. I can't wait for the next book. Received this book complimentary from voracious reader.
Floryie
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

I have read mythology based fantasy books but it was always Greek or similar ones. This is the first book I have read about Egyptian mythology and times like this makes me realise that sometimes I kind of get closed minded about reading. After finishing this book, I have made the decision to further my reading habits in the hitherto unexplored mythology genres.

Now moving on to the book, I was literally reeled in with the promise of mytholog
Erica
May 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Trinity is about to find out a dark family secret, one that will change her world in ways she never imagined.

This book starts off painfully slow. Trinity was mildly interesting and the cats were a lovely addition, so I trudged on in the hopes it would get better. I was nearly halfway through the book before it stopped being a boring YA Romance and turned into a fantasy story. This shift happened around page 150, and if I’d read chapter one and then skipped to that point, I don’t think I would ha
Kel (Faerie-bookworm)
Title: Daughter of the Sun
Author: Zoe Kalo
Genre: YA Urban Fantasy/Mythology
Format: Ebook
Pages: 330
Rating: 4.5
Heat: 0

Thoughts: Wow…..just wow! I actually had a book hangover after this one. So many twists and turns, my head was spinning (but in a good way). Other than like 2 mysteries that I guessed correctly, almost every piece of the puzzle was a surprise. I absolutely love when that happens!! And the great news is that this isn’t a major cliffhanger but there are still so many questions
Namrata Ganti
May 07, 2016 rated it liked it
This book takes me back to my teenage years when I loved reading fantasy books. The story follows Trinity, an orphan, who one days discovers that she has family that is alive, her grandmother. The reader is then drawn into the world of ancient Egypt, sorcerers, cults and ancient beliefs. The author makes use of the Egyptian gods and weaves a wonderful story involving a prophecy, magic and an ancient cult. Trinity, is forced to confront her destiny, form ties with her cousin and deal with an aunt ...more
John
***Disclaimer: I received a free copy in exchange for a review.***

What's Good: Egyptology. So much of the Urban Fantasy genre focuses primarily on Celtic, Norse and even Greek mythology it's almost like authors have forgotten the rest of the world- Africa, China, Mexico, etc- even exists.

The main character, Trinity, is likeable and easy to root for. Her struggles and confusion are organic and well-founded under the circumstances; one of a few nice touches by the author.

As the mysteries surroundi
Jasmyn
This was an amazing story! I really loved Trinity. Coming from a very sequestered background as an orphan at a nunnery, to a private island where she can do just about anything she wants. It's quite a journey she goes on - and the place and freedom are just the beginning.

I want to go to this island - desparately!!!! Cats are everywhere, and the island takes care of them so well - to the point that dogs are illegal. Can you imagine how many purrs and head butts you could get there? But these are
Hobart
Jul 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
This one won me over -- I spent a lot of time not enjoying it at all. I thought the characters were flat, predictable, unoriginal -- and frequently acting like 11 year-olds rather than 17 year-olds. The plot was pretty obvious, the twists were telegraphed, the romance was cliché and dull. I frankly was only reading it because I had agreed to do this tour today.

But . . .

Somewhere around the 60% mark I noticed that I was into the story, and I had been for awhile.

All of the above remains true --
Stephanie - Adventures Thru Wonderland
**I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review from the the author**

Cover: Captivating
Rating 4 Stars
Overall: Draws you in
Characters: Complex and mysterious
Plot: Well thought out and beautifully detailed
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Yes
Recommend Yes

Summery (50 words or so)
I wasn't sure about this book. I have read other books with similar ideas, but this one really stood out. It was well researched and detailed in a way that made me want to know more. I love how the myths are woven in,
Ashley Martinez (ilovebooksandstuffblog)
Full of mystery, mythology and madness, this book was easy to enjoy. I loved the storyline and the twist of Egyptian Mythology. Ancient Egypt and Egyptian mythology has always fascinated me and I was excited to read about it. I'm so used to Greek mythology that the change was nice.
The characters themselves were interesting to read and I was wrapped up in the journey as Trinity tried to uncover the mystery of who she was and what was going on.
The story ended so soon for me and I'm left wanting
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Against the Darkness (Cimmerian Moon, #1)
  • The First Life of Vikram Roy (Ruby Iyer Series, #1.5)
  • Wild Card (Etudes in C#, #1)
  • For Adriano (Chicago Syndicate, #3)
  • The Stone Bearers
  • Incandescent
  • Scarlett
  • Bound (The Guardians, #1)
  • Ten Thousand Lies (Ten Thousand, #2)
  • Beginnings (Brady Trilogy, #1)
  • Safe in His Arms
  • Yama's Lieutenant
  • Hitman Wedding (Bad Boy Inc., #4)
  • The Baker Street Four, Vol. 1
  • Dances of Deception (The Dragon Songs Saga #3)
  • The Void Weaver (Half-Lich, #2)
  • They All Fall Down (Shadow Jumpers, #2)
  • Shattered Dreams (Ramayana: the Game of Life, #2)
A certified bookworm, Zoe Kalo has always been obsessed with books and reading. Reading led to writing—compulsively. No surprise that at 16, she wrote her first novel, which her classmates read and passed around secretly. The pleasure of writing and sharing her fantasy worlds has stayed with her, so now she wants to pass her stories to you with no secrecy—but with lots of mystery…

A daughter of ad