Start by marking “The Lonely Life of Biddy Weir” as Want to Read:
The Lonely Life of Biddy Weir

The Lonely Life of Biddy Weir

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  282 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
A stark but uplifting story of bullying and redemption, for anyone who's ever been a weirdo.

Almost too terrified to grip the phone, Biddy Weir calls a daytime television show.

The subject is bullying, and Biddy has a story to tell.

Abandoned by her mother as a baby, Biddy lives in her own little world, happy to pass her time watching the birds - until Alison Fleming joins he
Published April 14th 16 by Twenty7

To ask other readers questions about The Lonely Life of Biddy Weir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lonely Life of Biddy Weir

Louise Wilson
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Biddy Weir calls a daytime television show. The subject is bullying and Biddy has a story to tell.

Biddy was abandoned by her mother when she was a baby. She lives in her own little world spending most of her time watching the birds.

When Alison Fleming joins her school she is popular, beautiful but also has a dangerous streak. Alison does not like people who don't fit in with her.

This is a good debut novel. It covers abuse and survival. One woman's fight with herself to accept who she really is.
Ace
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
While I was reading this book, I kept putting it down for a break but I couldn't stop thinking about poor Biddy.
Katherine Sunderland
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There are about three books this year for which I have been desperate to tell the world about but have dreaded writing a review, feeling decidedly inarticulate in comparison to the beautiful writing I've been wallowing in and a definite inability to fully express the effect the author's work has had on me. This is one of those books!

"The Lonely Life of Biddy Weir" is not an easy book to read at times. We first meet Biddy, aged 30, making a telephone call to a chat show running a phone in about b
Eva
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
All my reviews can also be found at noveldeelights.com

Writing this review is incredibly daunting as nothing I say will in any way be as powerful as this absolutely amazing novel, nor do it justice.

Biddy Weir didn't get the best start in life. Abandoned by her mother when she was a baby, she's raised by her father who really doesn't know the first thing about girls and is somewhat emotionally stunted. But Biddy knows she's loved and is happy in her own little world. Until Alison Fleming joins her
Kaisha (The Writing Garnet)
All reviews can be found on my blog at https://thewritinggarnet.wordpress.com

I have had to psych myself to write this particular review due to the nature of the storyline and my own personal memories because of it. It takes a lot of strength to read a novel with contains such emotional situations, especially when those situations are still incredibly raw for the reader.
Meet Biddy Weir; a girl who is extremely content in her own company and enjoys the simple things in life. After all, that is all
Monique
Jun 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received a copy of this book for free through NetGalley

This one surprised me. I was instantly struck by the synopsis but I didn’t realise how much I would become engrossed by this story having never been bullied myself. The characters are dynamic and the story is emotionally raw. I will say it took me a little while to get into but about 15 – 20% in I was hooked.
Tracey Campton
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Could not put it down. Thank you Lesley Allen and looking forward to your next book!
Chitra
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Lonely Life Of Biddy Weir is a story that, for as long as I managed to read it, was a 4 star book. It follows a young girl, Biddy Weir, who is a bit of a weirdo. Her mother left right after she gave birth to her and Biddy is left alone with her old father and his boring mother. The story starts off with a grown up Biddy making a call to a television station to talk about the topic of the show, bullying. The synopsis had me really intrigued, it says that she is a woman who got back up again a ...more
Nigel
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Short version - Powerful and moving - 4.5/5 I think.

Long version
I really liked the look of the blurb for this book however I confess initially I found it a little hard to get into. I'm not sure if it was the writing or the very simple narrative of how Biddy Weir became a (the) Bloody Weirdo but it didn't grab me. However around 10% of the way in that changed and I started to be drawn into Biddy's unusual (maybe) life. Her mother has left her, her father is an isolated and reserved character and
Karen Whittard
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The lonely life of Biddy Weir

Wow, just wow.

Ok at the start of this year and up until rather recently I have been annoyed and disappointed by the books that I have read. For a massive book worm who has had her Head in a book and in the clouds since I could read this has been truly annoying and frustrating. That was until I found NetGalley. It made me look at books that I would never have read previously and by liking a description I have thought. What the hell why not give it a while. I have be
Mary Lou
Mar 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: irish
Biddy Weir, raised by her elderly father, appears to her school mates an outsider. Book smart but clueless and conversation-less on everything else, she becomes an obvious target for bullies, who haunt her from pre-teen right through her teenage years.
Lesley Allen has identified perfectly the way Biddy and victims of bullying are swallowed-up by the situation they find themselves in. Biddy absorbs their name for her, BW – bloody weirdo, and feels she is one, until it threatens to destroy her.
Som
Amy
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book broke my heart. I loved it.
Karen
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just loved this really sad story with brilliant characters and well written
Yasmine Alfouzan
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is a much more honest portrayal of bullying and how it affects teens than the suicide-romanticizing and offensive “Thirteen Reasons Why”. In this novel, you see how bullying harms someone as they turn into the saddest and weakest versions of themselves, and how it causes so much unnecessary obstruction of life. But, I guess most people think human life isn’t valuable till it’s physically gone; and no one gives a crap about what the survivors go through, mentally.
Suze Lavender
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Biddy Weir is strange in the eyes of her peers. She doesn't have the right clothes, she doesn't have any social skills and she's extremely introvert. She's quite special with her fiery red hair and love for birds. Biddy is great at drawing and she enjoys creating. At home there's mainly silence, she and her dad hardly speak. Biddy hasn't got a mother, she left when Biddy was a baby and Biddy's father has no idea how he's supposed to raise a child. Therefore Biddy is different, which was never mu ...more
Alice
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Quando leggo alcuni libri che so già in partenza amerò e che però andranno a "tormentare" cose che di solito cerco di ignorare, ci metto sempre più del solito.
Non perché siano difficili da leggere, non perché siano magari in un'altra lingua e non perché io voglia particolarmente "godermeli" - è solo che ogni tanto il vaso di Pandora va aperto poco alla volta se non si vuole rischiare di esserne travolti.

E il rischio, con libri così, di scrivere qualcosa che assomigli più ad una pagina di diari
Anne Johnson
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Wow!
I was totally drawn in to this story. A young girl with a difficult start in life and then the bullying. The description of the bullying is so accurate and compelling as indeed is impact upon this vulnerable young girl. This part of the novel is compelling and thought provoking - then we shift to Biddies twenties.
Her relationship with Terri the counsellor is contrived as is her emergence from the damage done by the bullying. The conclusion is unbelievable and weak 0- despite all of my reserv
Jo
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one brilliant book. I found myself thinking about Biddy on a daily basis and wanted to keep on reading to see if she'd be ok. It is heart wrenching and it makes you wonder how anyone could be so cruel as they are to Biddy.
Marie Roberts
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read A real page turner Couldn't predict the end
Mairead Hearne (swirlandthread.com)
The Lonely Life of Biddy Weir is the debut novel by Lesley Allen, published in e-format in March 2016 and will be released in paperback later in the year. I received my ARC from Bonnier Zaffre Publishing & NetGalley in return for an honest review.

‘A stark but uplifting story of bullying and redemption, for anyone who’s ever been a weirdo.

The subject is bullying, and Biddy has a story to tell.

Abandoned by her m
Natalie
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book took me a while to read, not because I wasn't enjoying it, I found it a fantastically written story, and I loved Biddy, so much, it was the subject matter that kept me from wanting to get back to it whenever I got interrupted.
Bullying is a big issue these days and is currently getting a lot of media attention, and rightly so, it really does affect people, not just as it is occuring, but can follow them into adulthood and beyond, affecting their entire lives, and this book is an excelle
Jools Graham
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Have you ever been bullied?
Whether you have or not this story takes you on a difficult journey of mental bullying and the effect it can have on that persons life, yes this book has a sad start, and at times a difficult read because of the subject. I did enjoy it immensely.
Lorelei
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
An engrossing story but a hard one to read at times. Nicely written though and you feel like you really know Biddy and her struggles. Hard to have an antagonist get away with so much. The ending was tidy enough to not be very realistic but I was grateful for the kind characters throughout.
Lucy Mitchell
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Has to be one of my 2017 reading highlights.

Biddy Weir is someone who has struggled to connect with others and prefers to stay within the confines of her peculiar world filled with painting and watching birds. When Alison Flemming starts at Biddy’s school and takes an instant dislike to Biddy things change. Biddy becomes the victim of Alison’s cruel and vindictive bullying campaign.

This book will take you on an emotional journey and you will find yourself getting attached to poor Biddy. It’s a
Mary-Jo Smyth
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn’t put this book down. Such a beautifully depicted touching story. I’ve often laughed out loud when reading but this is the first book that made me cry. Don’t let that put you off though, it’s testament to the author’s ability to draw you in and so help you understand the depth of emotion involved. Bullying is a very real emotive subject that we all could do with understanding a little more. Wonderful book.
Orla McAlinden
At 400 pages this is not a particularly long book but it took me much longer than normal to read it. I had to put it down several times and leave it, because I was so moved and I needed a break. I cried many times during the reading process.

I have never been bullied to any significant degree, but I have felt guilt for decades about how a girl in my school was excluded and ignored and whispered about... by me as well as all the others... what would now be immediately recognisable as bullying, al
Neats
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Lonely Life of Biddy Weir is a heartbreaking story about bullying told through the eyes of the victim. Biddy's mum walked out when she was a baby leaving her to be brought up by her emotionally withdrawn dad who doesn't really know where to start bringing up a young girl. Although her dad loves her dearly he's not good at expressing himself and talking about feelings and emotions so the pair spend most of their time in silence.

Biddy is an intelligent little girl but lacking in social skills
Kevin Sullivan
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lesley Allen vividly describes the experience of a girl who is bullied throughout her school years, and who endures this torment in almost complete social isolation – abandoned by her mother in infancy and brought up by an emotionally remote and elderly father.

But The Lonely Life of Biddy Weir isn’t a case study or a profile in misery. It’s an evocative, sympathetic and painfully honest portrait of a living human being who holds on to a fundamental goodness despite the systematic ill treatment a
Rosie Amber
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Lonely Life Of Biddy Weir is a contemporary piece about a poor child who was at the heart of a severe bullying campaign which lasted for more than seven years and left deep psychological and physical wounds.

The book opens with a prologue, we meet thirty year old Biddy as she phones-in to a live TV show which is discussing bullying.

The book then goes back to 1979 Ballybrock, Northern Ireland. Biddy was already a lonely child, her mother gone when she was young, brought up by a grandmother and
G.J. Minett
Biddy Weir is different. Abandoned as a child by her mother, she is dependent upon a caring but emotionally withdrawn father who has little involvement in the world around him and no idea whatsoever as to how to prepare his daughter for life. With no reliable social compass to use as a guide, she is thrown into primary school, utterly unprepared for the challenges that await her, easy prey for someone like Alison Flemming.
Lesley Allen's debut novel spares us few of the horrors that Biddy faces o
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

Lesley Allen lives in Bangor, County Down, with her teenage daughter. She is a freelance copywriter and the press officer and assistant programme developer for Open House Festival. Following the completion of her degree in Drama and English, Lesley spent several years working in PR and marketing before embarking on a freelance career. Whilst crafting words for other people has been her bread and b
More about Lesley Allen

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
    $15.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth Avenue Artists Society
  • All That's Left of Me
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Celestine Prophecy (Celestine Prophecy, #1)
  • Palm Trees in the Snow
  • The Year We Left Home
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Whip
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Written on the Body
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Biddy Weir: I can be normal, she thought, as she moved her body to the music with increasing ease. I can. I can do normal things like drink Coke, and buy jeans, and wear a bra & dance. I can have fun. This is fun, and I like it. Maybe I'm not a complete weirdo after all.” 0 likes