Start by marking “Into the Current” as Want to Read:
Into the Current

Into the Current

Daniel Solomon is not having a good day. Somewhere between Bangkok and Tokyo, zipping through the stratosphere, the jetliner on which he’s travelling cracks open like an egg, ejecting Daniel and his fellow passengers into the great blue sky.

If only that were the worst of it.

Thousands of feet above the merciless Earth, still strapped into his seat, his cherished comics
Published September 13th 2016 by Goose Lane Editions

To ask other readers questions about Into the Current, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Current

Start your review of Into the Current
Caroline Lafrance
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Not my cup of tea... some parts were really interesting, but I felt like the writer just wanted to impress the reader with his writing, overly describing simple things... it got on my nerves!
Liz Laurin
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Still currently reading this, so I will come back with a follow up review when finished. I got an ARC of this through work, and while the story isn't something I would have automatically picked up, the authors writing/prose is unbelievably good. Descriptive without being too wordy, completely real and so perfectly well imagined. I feel like I am in Daniels head.
Genevieve
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Where to begin with reviewing Jared Young’s first novel,Into The Current? Actually, the better questions would be “When to begin?” or “With whom to begin?”

The story begins with the narrator and protagonist, Daniel Solomon, telling his tale to someone he refers to as “my love.” He begins with a description of what started out as an ordinary, uneventful flight from Bangkok, traversing the Pacific Ocean while observing the other passengers around him, daydreaming about a girl he knew in high
Brad
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Joanna
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it
There were parts of this book I really liked and parts I didn’t. I thought it was an interesting concept - I liked the format of the book; and the maturation of the main character was done well. What I didn’t like was the unnecessary wordiness - at one point he spent almost a page and a half describing a “belly button/ navel/ umbilicus”.

The book seems to be written for the teen/ early twenties male. So I think I may not be the target market. The jacket says “Daniel discovers what it means to
Wendell Hennan
Oct 14, 2019 added it
Shelves: gave-up
I gave up and stopped skimming at about page 125. Felt like I was on drugs or dreaming and nothing was piecing together, making sense or of any importance. Why am I spending my time at this.
Jed
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Into the Current captured the significant minutiae of my teens, and the surreal monotony of living abroad while contemplating adult personas. It was a nostalgic read, penned with finely crafted prose.
Ainsley
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I was skeptical for the first few pages, but once I got into it, I loved it.
Naomi
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5
Craig Lobban
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book from beginning to end. Well-written with a unique device used to tell the story and a nice message at the end. Couldn't put it down - read it over a long weekend.
Navin Vaswani
Oct 05, 2016
Joyce
Jun 16, 2018
Jared Young
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Christopher
Dec 30, 2018

• A Dog's Way Home
  • A Mango-Shaped Space
  • Beginner's Guide to Tarot
  • The Descent (Descent, #1)
  • How We Survived Communism and Even Laughed
  • At Swim-Two-Birds
  • Bad Business (Spenser, #31)
  • Modern Tarot: Connecting with Your Higher Self through the Wisdom of the Cards
  • The Only Tarot Book You'll Ever Need: Gain Insight and Truth to Help Explain the Past, Present, and Future
  • Someone You Love Is Gone
  • Don't Turn Around (PERSEF0NE, #1)
  • On Mystic Lake
Jared Young is the author of the novel Into The Current. His writing has appeared in the Toronto Star, Bangkok Post, Ottawa Citizen, Maisonneuve, and The Walrus; it has also been anthologized by McSweeney’s. He is the co-founder of the film writing website Dear Cast and Crew. He was born in Saskatchewan, raised in Yellowknife, lived for a while in some other places, and currently resides in ...more
“She has shared her hurt with me, and now a little bit of it is mine. This thing she couldn't bear alone, I can bear some of it, I can be hurt, too, and here's the thing you'd never expect about this kind of second-hand-hurt - it feels so good, it makes you feel whole, it makes you feel necessary, and even if you don't realize it right away, you'll find, as time passes, as the bearing of the hurt further intoxicates you, makes you more fully hers and she more fully yours, that you'll do anything to keep it; you'll say anything, you'll believe anything, you'll compromise anything, you'll build your self-worth around that tiny grain of hurt she lent you, and in return you'll hold her chin in your hand and run your thumb over the corner of her mouth and tickle the back of her earlobe with your finger and whisper to her over and over and over that "it's okay, it's okay, it's okay -” 0 likes