Start by marking “Reaper's Gale (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #7)” as Want to Read:
Reaper's Gale (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #7)

Reaper's Gale

(Malazan Book of the Fallen #7)

All is not well in the Letherii Empire. Rhulad Sengar, the Emperor of a Thousand Deaths, spirals into madness, surrounded by sycophants and agents of his Machiavellian chancellor. Meanwhile, the Letherii secret police conduct a campaign of terror against their own people. The Errant, once a farseeing god, is suddenly blind to the future. Conspiracies seethe throughout the ...more
Published February 1st 2008 by St. Martins Press-3PL (first published May 7th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Reaper's Gale, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Petrik
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Reaper used his scythe to chop onions in an attempt to bring tears to my eyes. Unfortunately, he didn’t succeed.

By this point of the series, I think it’s safe to say now that Malazan Book of the Fallen will never break my heart the way it did a lot of readers. People always told me that Erikson was more brutal towards his characters more than George R. R. Martin or all the conclusion of his books will leave my soul crushed; I strongly disagree with these as I found none of the books in the s
TS Chan
4.5 stars.

I will not be the first to extoll the astounding breadth and depth of the Malazan world with its extensive history, a multitude of races, richly diverse cultures and a huge cast of characters. I may also not be the first to admit how lost I sometimes feel, wandering through this labyrinth of intricate worldbuilding.

One of the best aspects of this volume in the Book of the Fallen, however, is the continuous storyline from The Bonehunters. For once, there was no whiplash from the sudden
Deborah Obida

When stone is water, time is ice.
When all is frozen in place fates rain down in fell torrent.
My face revealed, in this stone that is water.
The ripples locked hard to its shape a countenance passing strange.
Ages will hide when stone is water.
Cycles bound in these depths are flawed illusions breaking the stream.
When stone is water, time is ice.
When all is frozen in place our lives are stones in the torrent.
And we rain down, rain down
like water on stone
with every strike of the hand.

I though
Jody
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full review now up!

Warning: Minor spoilers from earlier books in the series!

I have been reading this series for a while now. Right at 5 months to be exact. And I find myself taking more and more time in between each book. Whether to reflect on what I have read or just needing a break I’m not quite sure. These books are huge and contain more information in one volume that some do in an entire series.

Reapers Gale was the largest book in the Malazan Book of the Fallen I have yet to read. After 3
Gavin
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was another excellent edition in Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series. It probably failed to hit the heights of the very best Malazan books I've read but I'd still rate it above Deadhouse Gates in terms of overall quality.

I loved the fact that we returned to the continent of Letheras for this story. I was a massive fan of the fourth book and its characters so it was great to return there to witness the aftermath of the Edur occupation of Letheras. The Edur and Letharii cultur
Ivan
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
It started slow and bit underwhelming but book becomes exponentially better as it progresses culminating in one of the best finales in Malazan books. Full review potentially to come when I settle my impressions and recover from those final chapters.
Stefan Bach
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Never mind the truth. The past is what I say it is.
That is the freedom of teaching the ignorant."

You know, we spend our lives in ordinary mundane affairs. We behave in a mundane way, we dress in a mundane way. We walk to the office, we work in the office, we come home on the train, we say hello to our family and then we die.
And then Erikson comes in and reminds us that we have another whole world of passion, of love, of frustration, of sorrow, of tragedy, of desire. You know, the entire
James Lafayette Tivendale
I apologise if this is not the most polished of reviews. I have to be honest, I am still speechless from what happened in the last quarter of this book.

To begin - most of my favourite characters from the books thus far were featured here. It brings two story arcs together. The relationship of the Edur/ Letherii in Letheras and the surrounding areas and also the Bone-hunters.

A lot of new characters are introduced (again! - how large can this cast get?* see the end of review). Some very memorable
Markus
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, fantasy, malazan
Well, this took me longer than any other book in the Malazan series. Possibly longer than any book I've read during the last few years. But I prevailed in the end.

Malazan Book of the Fallen reviews:
#10 The Crippled God
Michael Britt
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I'm not crying, you're crying.

This has, by far, the saddest death scenes yet. The deaths themselves weren't that sad, but Erikson makes them heartbreaking. There's no way to really go into more depth without huge spoilers.

As far as the story goes, Erikson hits it out of the park, yet again. Our cast is most of the people we've already met: we have some Malazans, the Bonehunters, Letherii (which I hate with a passion, save Tehol) and the Edur. We also get to meet Silchas Ruin, Anomander Rake's
Scott  Hitchcock
Upon Reread this book read as it did the first time. The first third is a lot of the Awl, the Patriotists and the Liberty Consign. It's sends a lot of important political messages with direct parallels to American history but I was again glad when it was over and at the end of book two Yan Tovis utters music to every readers ears (view spoiler)

Tehol and Bugg do what Tehol and Bugg do and amuse us with banter ranging fro
Conor
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: malazan
4.5 Stars.

This one is incredibly hard to rate. The middle 1/3 or so dragged as much as any Malazan book (and these books drag in places) since book 1.While some of the plot threads were still interesting, if somewhat slow-paced (the Malazan soldier's) some were pretty much dead in the water with seemingly nothing happening but a load of depressing philosphising (The quest to find Scabandari Blood-eye). However the final quarter brought pretty much every previously dull and stagnant plot-threa
Jenna Kathleen
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I now understand why fans call it Weeper's Gale.

Like MT, the Letherii storyline took me longer to get into than some of the other Malazan books. In RG, Erikson has undertaken more storylines with more characters while at the same time trying to close off some stories. I wasn't sure he could bring it all together at the end, but by now, I should expect nothing but greatness from him.

I would have to say that my favourite storylines in RG were the ones that got the least amount of pages. I didn't d
Mayim de Vries
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Epilogue: Also, Tehol for President.*

Chapter 24: All is fine but what died should stay dead no matter how much I like the character.

Chapter 23: Ever seen one man versus three dragons battle? No? Then come here.

Chapter 22: Seren Pedac should be renamed as "Seren Dipity"

Chapter 21: Dear me, Hood, by all the lit candles, you did right this time.

Chapter 20: This bickering couple, they really need to take the arguments to bed.

Chapter 19: Serves you well, Feather Witch!

Chapter 18: Really hate th
Samir
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't feel like writing a review so this is gonna be a mini rant with a spoiler included.

This is, for me, the weakest book in the series so far. Bunch of threads with an underwhelming conclusion and I still don't get (view spoiler)
David Sven
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, dark-fantasy
Initial Read

Another solid entry in the Malazan Series. In this 7th book we have a convergence of story arcs started in "Midnight Tides" as well as "The Bonehunters" and throw in a couple more that nobody really cares about and adds a couple hundred unnecessary pages and you have another epic adventure with its unique brand that is The Malazan Series.

So here we have the rebel Bonehunters having escaped from Malaz appointing themselves as the avengers of the Edur/Letherii atrocities committed on
Emma
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

For me, this is the first of the series that starts to close the circle. There are endings within these pages that are devastating, some that bring a tearful smile, and some that bring a joyful 'yeah, you got yours'... Of course, being Erikson, that doesn't mean there aren't new characters and new questions; he has a deep and abiding dislike of simplicity. Save a few spellbinding moments, it's not a book that is in the running for the top spot, but it serves well to signal the beginning
Amanda
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
😢😣😭😭😭
Angela
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A captivating read. There were deaths aplenty in this one (isn't there always), but it felt like events are so often converging as this series progresses. A few deaths this time around did sadden me and I'm looking forward to seeing how the story moves forward from here.

Recommended for lovers of epic fantasy. It doesn't get more epic than this.
Chris Berko
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deadhouse Gates used to be my favorite, until I read Memories of Ice. The last two-hundred pages of Midnight Tides convinced me it deserved the top spot. But then Bonehunters stole it with the way everything takes off and alas, this masterpiece. I'm not saying anything remotely new here but these books keep getting better. It's just a tremendously entertaining series that doesn't insult my grey matter and rewards the effort required to read.
Rob
Executive Summary: After what has to be my favorite of the series The Bonehunters, this one is a big letdown. Too many new characters really bog the story down for far too long, but it ends strong enough to save it from being a bad book.

Full Review
This book seems to take everything about Midnight Tides and ramp it up. Unlike that book however, I didn't find myself confused and frustrated at the beginning. I was simply uninterested. So unlike Midnight Tides where I enjoyed the story once I got
Carmine
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: saghe-fantasy
Crocevia di sentieri

"E così infesteremo le vecchie stanze, percorreremo i corridoi familiari, finché, girando un angolo, non ci troveremo davanti a uno sconosciuto, che non può essere altri che il nostro riflesso più malvagio.
E poi si estraggono i coltelli e si combatte una battaglia per la vita, anno dopo anno, azione dopo azione. Coraggio e vile slealtà, codardia e astuta cattiveria.
Lo sconosciuto mi ha fatto arretrare, passo dopo passo. Al punto che non riconosco più me stesso: quale uomo s
Jason
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2017
5 Stars

Reaper's Gale by Steven Erikson is the seventh book in The Malazan Book of the Fallen series and it is a lot...more. This is the best and worst book in the series so far! Reaper's Gale would be a pinnacle of the epic fantasy genre if it underwent at least some editing. Being book number seven, I knew and expected to have far too many characters and points of view to really know what was going on. I made a mistake in deciding that I was going to dive into this monster and attempt to read
Dara
When I first started Reaper's Gale, I was apprehensive. I knew a few people who said it wasn't that good compared with the rest of the series and they really struggled with it. I knew it picked up from Midnight Tides, my least favorite of the series so far. I ended up loving Reaper's Gale. Perhaps part of that is understanding how things work on Lether, being familiar with the characters, and how the storylines begin to converge with characters from Seven Cities.

This book weaves together storyli
Jonathan
Aug 29, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I can see that the overarching story might add up to a wonderful jigsaw, but Erikson is a demented pounder of the keyboard, someone needs to edit him savagely, take away his computer and make him write longhand. He has long since lost control of his creation. As Stalin may have said 'Quantity has a Quality all of its own', it pounds your mind into numbed submission as you trudge towards the slopes of Mount Doom, bearing the ring of steadily reducing expectations.

After 500 pages of this the 7th M
Traci
Done. Finally. This one took me awhile. I learned a few things with this book. Number one, I didn't have the stamina for a marathon Malazan reading. I think I sprained something in my brain in the attempt. I also learned that while Steven Erikson is a master of writing tragedy I don't care for his over the top humor. With a few exceptions, I do love Tehol and Bugg. And that hidden beneath this dark tale hides the heart of a romantic. And an author who can write male friendships like no one else ...more
Twerking To Beethoven
With every installment of this series, I become more and more impressed.

Erikson writes epic fantasy on a level all his own. The world is massive and engaging. It is at once believable and yet otherworldly, creating a fusion of worlds that leaves your jaw hanging. I am amazed at how well he writes the characters and holds such a complex and huge story together, with each book at least 900-1000 pages.

In "Reaper's Gale" we finally see the two worlds, the Malazan and the Letherii, finally begin to
Evgeny
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The book returns to events in Midnight Tides, namely conquest of Lethery Empire by Tiste Edur. Nobody (including the conquerors) is particularly happy about the results. On the top of this are the Bonehunters led by Adjunct Tavore with the mission of toppling of the current Empire. The combination of all of these leads to (supposedly) explosive conclusion.

This is probably the first book where I am still not sure about the rating. It is somewhere between 3 and 4 stars, so let us say 3.5 with 0.5
Tammy
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We're back to Lether.
Reaper's Gale had sooo much going on, with arguably the most plot lines in a single book so far, it would have been a disaster if Erikson couldn't weave all these back together and deliver a convincing end. BUT HE DID, making this one of the best books i've ever read plot wise.
I also believe this is the darkest book so far, I mean some nasty, gritty sh*t goes down here.
STILL, it was able to produce so many emotional moments, giving you a nostalgic taste of what you felt in b
Mike
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, epics, reviewed
With Reaper's Gale we have the convergence of the plot lines from Midnight Tides (probably my favorite one so far) and The Bonehunters. As I stated in my Bonehunters review, I thought it was mostly a book about getting pieces into a place, and boy did those movements pay off. We get a clash of the now Edur dominated (or is it!?!?!?!) Letherii Empire and the rag tag army of the Bonehunters. On top of that we still have Tehol Benedict and his loyal manservant Bugg running about committing a brilli ...more
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Reaper's Gale [Dec 28, 2018] 215 75 Apr 16, 2019 04:31PM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Reaper's Gale [Jan 2018] 117 108 Jan 25, 2019 03:57PM
The Malazan Fallen: RG - Chapter Three - No Spoilers 23 119 May 10, 2017 03:40PM
The Malazan Fallen: RG - Chapter Two - No Spoilers 17 119 May 09, 2017 04:09PM
  • Return of the Crimson Guard (Novels of the Malazan Empire, #2)
  • The Thousandfold Thought (The Prince of Nothing, #3)
  • Soldiers Live (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #9)
  • The Price of Spring (Long Price Quartet, #4)
Steven Erikson is the pseudonym of Steve Rune Lundin, a Canadian novelist, who was educated and trained as both an archaeologist and anthropologist. His best-known work is the series, the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Malazan Book of the Fallen (10 books)
  • Gardens of the Moon (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #1)
  • Deadhouse Gates (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #2)
  • Memories of Ice (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #3)
  • House of Chains (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4)
  • Midnight Tides (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #5)
  • The Bonehunters (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #6)
  • Toll the Hounds (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #8)
  • Dust of Dreams (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #9)
  • The Crippled God (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #10)
“I am here to arrest your manservant. The one named Bugg.’
‘Oh, now really, his cooking isn’t that bad.”
39 likes
“No-one chooses me. I do not give anyone that right. I am Karsa Orlong of the Teblor. All choices belong to me.” 29 likes