Start by marking “The Ideal Team Player: How to Recognize and Cultivate The Three Essential Virtues” as Want to Read:

In his classic book, The Five Dysfunctions of a Team, Patrick Lencioni laid out a groundbreaking approach for tackling the perilous group behaviors that destroy teamwork. Here he turns his focus to the individual, revealing the three indispensable virtues of an ideal team player.

In The Ideal Team Player, Lencioni tells the story of Jeff Shanley, a leader desperate to save

Published April 25th 2016 by Jossey-Bass (first published April 18th 2016)

Maureen
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book for work (we have a work book club!) and I feel like I learned a lot. It definitely helped me see areas I can be better and how best to hire people which is awesome!
Ron
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
This is the typical Lencioni book in that he tells a story about a mythical company and some problem that it is trying to solve. You work through the problem in the first half of the book. He then gives applies the story to his subject. The application part of the book:

The Three Virtues of the Ideal Team Player
- Humble: humility is the single greatest and most indispensible attribute of being a team player
- Hungry: hungry people almost never have to be pushed by a manager to work harder because
Rob Murphy
Jul 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
I didn't like this for the reason so many other seemed to love it. The beginning of the book began with "The Fable," which was a long description of a fictional company coming to understand what makes an ideal team player. This acted much like a case study, except it was told in a narrative format and it is fiction. This was nearly 70% of the book. It was far, far too long. The point of this "fable" could have been conveyed much faster. The remainder of the book, which was the important part, ga ...more
Kristeen
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: leadership
This should have been just an article or maybe a slide deck. I really love Lencioni's The Advantage, but get so bored and distracted by his fable structure used in his other books. The concept of hiring for hunger, humility and emotional smarts is an interesting one, but doesn't warrant an entire book.
Oleksandr Golovatyi
Після прочитання книги я ще раз впевнився в тому, що командний гравець повинен бути скромним, енергійним та розумним. На перший погляд все очевидно. Але найчастіше, коли йде набір людей в команду, про одну або декілька цих рис завжди забувають, замінюючи їх професійними вимогами. Звичайно людина повинна бути професіоналом своєї справи, але без цих трьох чеснот, вона не зможе в повній мірі допомогти команді досягти справді високих результатів.

Також використаю декілька речень з самої книжки, що на
Christina Hughes
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
This entire book paraphrased: "Jackass jackass team player jackass! Team player! But jackass! Haha jackass humble team player. Ah, team player team work humble hungry smart team player. Jackass haha!"
Shahrzad Pakgohar
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
این کتاب توسط رضا رایان راد با عنوان «بازیکن تیمی ایدئال» ترجمه شده و انتشارات آریانا قلم منتشر کرده . ترجمه بسیار خوب و روان هست و یکی از بهترین کتابهای مدیریتی بود که تا به حال خوندم، هم از لحاظ اهمیت موضوع کار تیمی و هم از لحاظ شیوه بیان و مدلسازی انجام شده.
کتاب به نسبت کوتاه است و به سبک داستانی نوشته شده. پاتریک لنچیونی به خوبی مخاطب رو در یک سفر کشف ویژگیهای بازیکن تیمی ایدئال همراه میکند. در این کتاب خبری از توصیه های بدون استدلال و یا استدلالهای انتزاعی نیست. با خوندن کتاب به تدریج برای
Dustin
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Too many leaders hire mostly for competency and technical skills." p.155. I love Lencioni's FABLE writing style. It personally helps me connect to the content and process it for my current situation. I have learned something from each of his books and I recommend this one as well. This book has some great insight into developing a healthy culture in your group or organization. I found it extremely helpful for me as a leader who desires to build a team that collaborates and shares a common visio ...more
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
Why You Might Bump This Up On Your TBR: I learned a lot from this model and it challenged me. From reading this, I can hone in on things I can do better and differently and things I can show more of at work. I think everyone who works for a team, as well as any supervisor who leads a team, should read this book. It's also helpful in teaching supervisors how to interview. It also encourages supervisors not to label their workers into self-fulfilling prophecies and not to be too hard on people tha ...more
Mark Fallon
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This may be my favorite Lencioni "fable" yet. The way to build a successful team is to build on the three virtues embraced by all members of the team - be humble, hungry and smart. Is it that simple? Yes. Is it easy to do? No. That's why you should read this book.
ehsan karimkhani
و انتشارات آریانا قلم
David
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership, teamwork
I audiobooked this one while driving for a busy month for the nonprofit I direct. Solid book. Somewhat repetitive (with his other books) but only to emphasize a point. Everyone should get this book for a new team member joining their staff, church, nonprofit, or business.
Garrett Maroon
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Ideal Team Player starts as a fable and makes the beginning very real and insightful. After the fable, Lencioni dives into the details that make up the ideal team player - hungry, humble and smart.

For any organization to have a successful culture, their important virtues need to be clearly defined and of upmost importance in the hiring process and in the refining process of their current employees. Lencioni argues that hungry, humble and smart are the three keys for building a successful tea
Hossein Nasrabadi
Aug 12, 2018 marked it as to-read
نوقابی معرفی کرده است
Steven R. McEvoy
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Over the past few years, I have read a few books, and listened to some audio teaching by Patrick Lencioni, I have been impressed with all of his teaching I have encountered. My introduction was a group exercise working through The Five Dysfunctions of a Team done in conjunction with a DISC assessment for the seven of us. There is something so accessible about his style of writing a parable to teach the main lesson and then break it down. And this book does that on an even larger scale, I would s ...more
Marco Rogers
Dec 18, 2016 rated it liked it
The lessons in this book end up feeling pretty obvious, but they're not. It's one thing to identify traits you think are good for making an effective team. It's another to commit to having all of those traits in some measure. Even more so, to make them a requirement for hiring. I don't know if you'll get anything revelatory out of this book. But it's worth reading if you need to really internalize whey some people don't seem to be effective contributors to a team, despite having some good qualit ...more
Jeff
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HHS - Humble, Hungry, and Smart. Typical Lencioni - a simple, easy-to-read, and effective book with an excellent message. Establishes a great foundation for understanding and applying the principles from The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable.
Glenn Burnside
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. This is a strong complement to five dysfunctions and provides a great framework for fleshing out the human systems in your business, while creating focus on the traits you're REALLY looking for in your people.
Moonie
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Lencioni. Sounds all so simple and obvious but very meaningful.
Todd Storch
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Simple. Easy. Effective.

An easy read. An plan of action. A way to determine effectiveness. This book tells a story and they gives you the playbook. Excellent!
Barb
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read this one for work, really liked the idea that the ideal team player is humble, hard working, and people smart. Really rings true.
Buddy Draper
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is another fable followed by outstanding, practical ways to hire, evaluate and keep people who are humble, hungry and smart.
Michael "Doc" Norton
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book was far too long. I've enjoyed a good number of Lencioni's books, but this one felt forced. As many have mentioned, it could have been an article.
Jacki
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: management
Shallow and not that helpful for my purposes; more useful for the hiring process than day-to-day life.
George Hoskins
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Must read for all team builders!
Joe McFadden
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing

With all the information available today and teams, most likely everyone has an idea of what the ideal team player may look like characteristically. And most likely if you were to take a survey of opinions you could possibly collect a list of 20 or more said qualities.

However our culture works against us in this area. So the gap between team members that embody the values of an ideal team player as opposed to those who do not is increasing. We have a cultu
Stephanie
Oct 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
I had to read this book for work. It consisted of a laughably cheesy and idealistic "fable" followed by a practical application of why you should strive to work with people who are humble, hungry, and smart. The application section was only about a third of the book and didn't go into very much depth of what those qualities actually mean. Also, the author used the word "jackass" 46 times (yes, I counted), so do with that what you will.
Tim Casteel
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it
This book reconfirms - yep, I disdain business fables. Great business insight buried in painful prose like: "Jeff was so happy that he was literally flying around the offices...And that's how he knew what the was dreaming. When he woke up, Jeff was immediately thinking about the hospital project..."

5 stars to the leadership insight. Distilling down to three, the qualities you need your people to develop: Hungry, Humble, and (the woefully mistitled last one) Smart (by which he does not mean intel
Heli
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book, like other Lencioni’s books, is both entertaining as a story as well as informative and interesting as a framework of thinking about team dynamics.
Lee Richardson
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is an interesting look into what makes a good team player. I have seen it the last several times I have been at the airport bookstore, and finally caved and bought it.

The book proposes a model of three virtues for an ideal team player. The structure of the book is a "fable", followed by an explanation of the model with constant reference to the fable. (sidenote: it is no surprise at the end, the author talks about how Jesus is the ultimate picture of humility. Indeed, this structure re
  • An Everyone Culture: Becoming a Deliberately Developmental Organization
  • Tilt: Shifting Your Strategy from Products to Customers
  • Practicing Mindfulness: An Introduction to Meditation
  • The Power of the Other: The startling effect other people have on you, from the boardroom to the bedroom and beyond-and what to do about it
  • Meaningful: The Story of Ideas That Fly
  • The Art of Negotiating the Best Deal
  • Brand Identity Breakthrough: How to Craft Your Company's Unique Story to Make Your Products Irresistible
  • Buyer Personas: How to Gain Insight Into Your Customer's Expectations, Align Your Marketing Strategies, and Win More Business
  • Rocket Fuel: The One Essential Combination That Will Get You More of What You Want from Your Business
  • Beyond the Goal: Eliyahu Goldratt Speaks on the Theory of Constraints
  • The Cultural Creatives: How 50 Million People Are Changing the World
  • Sustainable Edge
  • Beyond Measure: The Big Impact of Small Changes
  • No one understands you, and what to do about it
  • The 1-Page Marketing Plan: Get New Customers, Make More Money, And Stand out From The Crowd
  • Teams That Thrive: Five Disciplines of Collaborative Church Leadership
  • Double Double: How to Double Your Revenue & Profit in 3 Years or Less
  • The Best Damn Sales Book Ever: 16 Rock-Solid Rules for Achieving Sales Success!
Patrick Lencioni is a New York Times best-selling author, speaker, consultant and founder and president of The Table Group, a firm dedicated to helping organizations become healthy. Lencioni’s ideas around leadership, teamwork and employee engagement have impacted organizations around the globe. His books have sold nearly three million copies worldwide.

When Lencioni is not writing, he consults to
“So many people there are so concerned about being socially conscious and environmentally aware, but they don't give a second thought to how they treat the guy washing their car or cutting their grass.” 8 likes
“If you ask me, the best thing that's happened in the last year is that we've almost become a jackass-free zone. No matter what happens, and what challenge we might face, give me a roomful of people who aren't jackasses, and I'll be happy to take it on.” 2 likes