Start by marking “Christy (Orphan Brides Go West #1)” as Want to Read:
Christy (Orphan Brides Go West #1)

Christy

(Orphan Brides Go West #1)

Christy finds herself orphaned and alone when her parents are tragically killed in a robbery gone wrong. Without a home to return to, she is stranded in a strange town where she discovers the kindness of a stranger and an opportunity for new love.

Brent has lost the love of his life and after years of loneliness he hopes to find a life-long companion through a Mail Order
Published February 18th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Christy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christy

Start your review of Christy (Orphan Brides Go West #1)
Jackie
This may be 146 pages total but only 97% is the story with Christy and Brent and the rest is advertising other works of the author and finally an excerpt from the second book in the Orphan Brides series.

The novella really holds no surprises but is a pleasant, clean historical western romance with a very sedate at first HEA ending that strongly hints that Brent and Christy will have a wonderful future together.
Lynda
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mail-order
Egregious errors reduced this book from a potential three stars on just one. What do i call egregious errors:

1. In chapter 6, "It had cost him a lot of money to relocate and set up outside the new town of (snappy name here) Newton in the Indian Territory..."

The (snappy name here) is *IN* the book. It seems that Ms. Holt inserted this in the manuscript while writing but then never removed it.

2. In chapter 9, Mr. Taylor is told by young Kip there is something wrong--"But one of the hens seems
Cindy Cooke
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Three month trial marriage?

When Christy's parents are murdered on their way to California, she is desolate. Her parent's money was stolen by the train robbers who murdered them, her inheritance is being challenged by other relatives, and she is left to her own means to survive. Getting off the train in a desperate move to get away from the grief of her loss, Christy is taken in by gentle strangers until she can get her bearings. This is a temporary solution, and finally someone suggests she go
Debbie
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Strength to go on with.

Christy is a young woman that ends up losing her parents and then has to keep surviving on her own. She shows strength and courage her parents would be proud of. Brent is alone and starting over in a new place and decides to try a mail order bride. A very exciting book with lots of events that lead up to a life changing experience. Well worth reading.
Mary Jane McLeod
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great series

This book is part of a series but is good read along. As usual Vivi Holt brings the characters alive on the pages. We go through the struggles with the characters as the take a chance and find love instead of remaining alone in this world.
Laurel
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very short book

Good paced story with an average plot. It was nice that the author showed a sense of community, which did happen. However, I not sure of a bride still being a virgin after being married for three months.
Josephine
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Average

A light read. The two get off to a rocky start and because of the frustration of it they express regrets in the moment, but don’t take the words back, thus assuming the worst about the other’ s desires. You’d think you head talk and learn to read each other sooner.
Kathy
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A train robbery killed her parents and changed her life.

She had to friends she met after her parents death that steered her towards being a mail order bride so she would have a family again. He was lonely and I liked the way the story got them together.
Margaret Fraleigh
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vivi-holt
This is the first book in the Orphan Brides Go West Series.

It is the story of Christy and Brent. Both lost people they loved and how their path
crossed and fell in love.

The next book is called Mail order Bride: Ramona. Will have to watch for this one.
Mary Stockwell
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good read

This is a very sweet and tender romance. Out of tragedy comes hope and love. I really did enjoy reading this book.
Veronica
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
A pleasant read, if a little naive and simplistic. An enjoyable diversion from our fast-paced, modern life.
Cindy
I am currently smitten with the sweet, clean, mail order bride, historical romance genre. They are short, fun reads and Vivi Holt is fast becoming a favorite author.
Kasnmas
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Delightful Story! I loved the whole story.
Heather C
I first want to note that this review is of the updated version of this story. It was originally released as a short story, which I also read, and since has been expanded to become a novella. While I enjoyed the short story, don’t get me wrong, the fleshed out novella added a lot to the areas that had left me wanting more and is a much better piece for it.

One of the things that I really liked, and that was beneficial in the short story version, is that it opens up right on the major, plot
Ann-Maree Howarth
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first book of the series that will warm your heart as the author brings her sweet characters and story to life for you to enjoy. The book starts out sad as we find out how the main characters find themselves orphan and alone seeking the family they have lost. Christy never thought she would be a mail order bride but as life turns out different to her plans she finds herself with not many choices to make. With no money and the chance, she will lose her parents inheritance her future ...more
Stephanie (Between the Coverz)
Updated Review:
The author read the reviews and took the reader's suggestions and reviews and tweaked her book. I have to say the new revised book is extremely better than the first go around. I didn't feel that I was reading a book I had already read as there are so many new pieces to the story. I loved the additional information in the beginning of the book and end. All the missing pieces are there and the book is not understandable and more believable. Thank you to the author for listening to
Cynthia
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a very cute short read that I feel is most likely true to this time frame. It would be hard to lose it all and have to marry someone you never met. This is the first book by this author I thought it was well written. The ending is rush I do not feel they would fell in love that fast. They are attracted to each other but misunderstanding get in the way which may mean she is leaving before they even begun. The author gives you characters you can relate to and a very believable plot.

Charlotte
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Christy is the first book that I have read by Vivi Holt, but it will not be the last. As Christy and her parents are bound for the West, her parents are killed during a train robbery. This leaves Christy stranded and all alone in a strange town not knowing what to do. She is rescued by a sweet lady named Meredith who takes her in. Christy knows that she cannot stay there forever, so she becomes a mail-order bride to Brent. From the time that they meet, nothing seems to go right. They have to ...more
Jane
Mail Order Bride: Christy brings together Christy Hancock and Brent Taylor in the Orphan Brides Go West series is a clean romance where a shy young woman is left an orphan with few options and signs up to be a mail order bride. Brent Taylor a young rancher in Oklahoma is ready to start a family on the ranch he has built and writes for a mail order bride. It take the two three months to get to know one another in this sweet romance.
Janice
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I will love any book with the main character named Christy, since I have always loved Catherine Marshall's book by the same name! This book was short enough to get a good storyline. It gave insight about mail order bride and what will happen if it does not appear to work out. Somehow, it seemed at the first of the book that more commas were needed, and that distracted me.
Mary Beth
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
darlene.  wilson
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Christy and Brent- A New Love

This was a sweet mail order bride story. I love these stories about the Old West. The only thing that would make it better is an exciting love scene or two.
Debra Reeves
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
this was a great book to read. how Christi is left orphaned after her parents are killed. a nice couple take her in and take care of her. she starts to write Brent. Brent sends her a ticket to come where he lives. They both have trust issues to deal with.
Mitchy Beach
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun, light read that will make you smile. If you like mail-order bride books, be sure to read this one.
Cynthia
Nov 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: western, bride-brides, own
Short, clean,and cute romance.
Rachelle Bishop
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Quick but good read

The story goes fast for the mail order part but it's very sweet and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series
Edward
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved the book!

Hoping for a sequel (or continuing series) Ended up buying the book since the free one that you sent ended at 47%..
Pat Christie
May 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ebook

A mailorder bride that really needs a home and family. She just lost her parents and was robbed of all her money.
Kimmie
Mar 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
Nothing of substance

There was nothing of substance in this book. It felt like the author was rushing through the book, giving you no details that make a story good.
Angie Adair
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 stars

I enjoyed this book. A short, but sweet mail order bride book. Can they finally put aside their arguments and find love?

• Effie (Cowboys and Debutantes, #1)
  • Mail Order Melancholy (Brides of Beckham, # 25)
  • New Beginnings (Cutter's Creek #2)
  • Mail Order Miracle (Brides of Beckham, #20)
  • Sarah and the Doctor (Prairie Tales, #1)
  • An Ivy Tangles (Cutter's Creek #11)
  • Mail Order Mistletoe (Brides of Beckham, #17)
  • Bargain for Baby (Cowboys and Angels, #10)
  • Promise of Love (Cutter's Creek #12)
  • That Healing Touch (Cutter's Creek, #1)
  • Temporary Bride (Dakota Brides #1)
  • RNWMP: Bride for Kendall (Mail Order Mounties, #1)
  • His Perfect Bride (The Brides of Paradise Ranch, #1)
  • No One's Bride (Escape to the West #1)
  • Wagon Train Baby (Love on the Santa Fe Trail #1)
  • Love at Harvest Moon (Holiday Mail Order Brides #7)
  • Hannah the Healer (Cowboys and Angels, #7)
  • RNWMP: Bride for Theodore (Mail Order Mounties, #0.5)
Vivi Holt writes inspirational romance. Of her books, readers say:

"The plot kept me enthralled and the pages turning"
"I cried and laughed"
"What an awesome ending. Can't wait for more!!"

Vivi lives in beautiful Brisbane, Australia with her husband and three young children. Growing up on a farm she learned to love the country life and now she writes about it in her books. History has always

Orphan Brides Go West (4 books)
  • Mail Order Bride: Ramona (Orphan Brides Go West, #2)
  • Mail Order Bride: Katie (Orphan Brides Go West, #3)
  • Holly (Orphan Brides Go West #4)