Start by marking “The Aliens Are Coming!” as Want to Read:
The Aliens Are Coming!

The Aliens Are Coming!

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  297 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews

Discover the fascinating and cutting-edge science behind the greatest question of all: is there life beyond Earth?

For millennia, we have looked up at the stars and wondered whether we are alone in the universe. In the last few years, scientists have made huge strides towards answering that question. In The Aliens are Coming!, comedian and bestselling science writer Ben

Published February 4th 2016 by Sphere

To ask other readers questions about The Aliens Are Coming!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Aliens Are Coming!

Matthew
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
An informative, yet incredibly fun read. I ripped through it in a couple of big reading sessions. Highly recommended!
Jake
Well, the first like 175 pages of this was riveting, I could not put it down. If you are looking for information on how scientists are trying to find or contact actual alien life (rather then just stories of abductions) this is the book for you.

There were so many theories and experiments I was unaware of. While a great deal of the discussion revolved around where microbiological alien life may be, there is also discussion of more complex life.

I did not know much about SETI entering the book, a
Dan
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Comedian and author of the excellent science book It's Not Rocket Science considers alien life in this great new book.

I wasn't totally sure what to expect from this book if I'm honest and it turns out this is wasn't that far away from being More It's Not Rocket Science. I liked Miller's first book so I am not complaining that this is mostly in a similar vein to it. To consider aliens Miller looks at how the universe began, how the Earth was formed, how life first existed and some quite complica
Monika
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My head is spinning! The author seems to go off on so many tangents, but he eventually ties them all together with no loose ends. This isn't as much about aliens as it is about all life, and everything around us. Math, science, history... it all comes together in this book. Audiobook narrator is super entertaining, too!
Kristina
Is there life beyond Earth? In “The Aliens Are Coming” Ben Miller explores many topics from the origin of the universe to the vary latest searches for alien life.

It just dragged on and on and it felt like there was too much book for the points he was trying to say. A lot of the topics in there just seemed like distracting side stories. It was intriguing to a point but I wouldn’t recommend it.

Stunning cover though.
Richard
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely chatty style of book, reigniting my interest in all things exoplanety. And reminding me that the SETI stuff is serious science. Well worth reading.
Del Johnstone
There weren't a great deal of aliens in here; it was just an excuse for Ben Miller to talk about physics, and chemistry, and biology. But he does it in a pretty funny manner, so we'll let him off.

Tonstant Weader
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The long lost Farscape is still my favorite science fiction series. It’s not just the humor, but the existence of a wider variety of alien life. There are lots of aliens who are not hominids. There’s Maia, the leviathan, there’s that fabulous praying mantis like diagnosan doctor, there’s the Hinerians who are amphibians, and the crustacean Pilot. Sure, most species were hominids, because after all it was relatively low-budget, but they at least made an effort to break form.

If only science fictio
Stefan Svartling
Sep 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting and fun at times
La Lin
lu bu quá nên để review sau//
[updated- 01.12.2017]

Bỏ qua những lỗi chính tả và canh dòng ngớ ngẩn thì quyển sách này lôi cuốn ngoài mong đợi của mình rất nhiều. Ban đầu còn nhầm lẫn giữa cái tên tác giả/ diễn viên người Anh Ben Miller thành diễn viên người Mĩ Ben Stiller thì sau khi gấp sách lại, cái tên Ben Miller trở thành một cái tên ấn tượng thật sự. Niềm đam mê thiên văn (hay hơn cả, là sự sống ngoài hành tinh) được gom lại, diễn đạt một cách hài hước nhưng nghiêm túc. Khối lượng thông tin
Vilhelmiina
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this. I knew that I was kind of interested in the search for extraterrestrial life, but was struggling to find material to feed that interest. Luckily enough, I stumbled upon this in the science section at Waterstones, and picked it up immediately.
A few notes and other thoughts I had whilst reading, that I wrote on post-its and stuck in relevant places:
LOVE extremophiles and want to learn more about those
did life really begin on Mars rather than Earth, and then travel by comet
Rob Frampton
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Does the world really need another popular science book, especially one written by a TV comic? As it turns out, yes, because not only does Ben Miller have a proper scientific background, not only does he have a boundless enthusiasm for his subject, but he (and this is important) can actually write!
The rather vulgar, UFO-infested, cover belies the eclectic and well-organized interior, in which Miller marshals facts and histories into a fascinating overview of the development of the search for lif
Lächeln
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[Rezension] Anybody Out There - Ben Miller - Spannende Suche nach außerirdischem Leben für Fortgeschrittene

Anybody Out There ist ein Sachbuch des britischen Schauspielers und promovierten Physikers Ben Miller. In seinen Serienrollen in Primeval und Doctor Who begab sich Ben Miller bereits auf die Suche nach extremen und außerirdischen Lebensformen. In seinem neuen Sachbuch führt er diese Suche nun rein wissenschaftlich fort. Denn: „Die Aliens werden kommen! Die Frage ist nur: Wann?“

Was passiert?
Margaret Shea
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's about aliens, yet NOT about aliens. It's about biology, chemistry, evolution, astronomy, language, physics, history, with lots of fun pop music references in the item headings. A fascinating and informative read: every few pages had me googling a new name, concept or historical event that had piqued my interest. The only thing I had a hard time with was the math, but that's my fault, not the author's.
Eva Praskova
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very entertaining while scientifically sound book. Ben Miller might be known to most as an actor and comedian, but he is a scientist too, with a passion for it. And also he can write with a flare and humour making for an engaging read. His audio narration of this book is also amazing and I would recommend it wholeheartedly.
Teleterry
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Surprisingly good book - so much background about the meaning of life.
Shelley Green
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Funny and interesting...read it in one sitting as couldn't put it down!
Prashant Maroli
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the best book on science. Simple, informative and funny.
Andrew Ives
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, favourites
Despite a slightly childish cover illustration, this book is intelligent and interesting throughout. Actually, it's rather similar to Brian Cox's Human Universe which is one of the best books I've ever read, and like said book, this covers the vast gamut of scientific fields including space, cosmology, physics, quantum mechanics, microbiology, chemistry, evolution and lastly, linguistics (including a dash of history and Egyptology). For all that, this is a very approachable book with hardly an e ...more
Kenneth
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ben writes clearly and passionately and does a good job of explaining science concepts without a lot of jargon. I do have a science background and that may have helped but I think anyone could follow his explanations. Two stylistic annoyances prevail throughout the book. Firstly, he uses a lot (*1) of footnotes. These can distract from the flow of reading (*2). Secondly, there are some (*3) spurious attempts at humour that attempt to keep the tone light-hearted but do not necessarily hit the mar ...more
Junhao
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting enough introduction into the discussion about life beyond Earth and our search for it. However, some parts of the writing seem to veer off topic for no clear reason and it will be a few pages later before the author makes a conscious effort to get back his focus. At certain points, it seems as though the author took a long break in-between chapters as there is no clear link and sequencing between them. Lastly, and this may be an unfair criticism, it may be because I've read a numb ...more
Jeff
Sep 15, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a layman's overview of the search for extraterrestrial life. However, the author addresses the issue through a tour de force of biochemistry and thoughts on the origin of life on Earth. From there he extrapolates to life elsewhere. It was fun read and the high level overview was a refreshing read. There were some areas with which I could quibble, but nothing by which I would not recommend the book.

Fun, entertaining, and thought provoking.
Juan
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5!!!!!
Es un relato de sólida base científica, partiendo desde los posibles escenario del origen de la vida hasta el completo analisis de las posibilidades de la Ecuación de Drake, y sin pasar por la literatura barata ni caballos de Troya
Adellet
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Started and ended with some intriguing information, but lost me in the middle with the complex physics formula lessons. I really did try to keep up but Miller liked saying 'as you know' a lot which led me to realise I wasn't getting a more basic explanation, so I skimmed a fair bit.
Jacob Stokes
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is truly one of the best books describing the search for extraterrestrial life out their in the Universe. This book covers absolutely everything and offers a mind blowing tour of the science behind the search. A great read.
Gary Allen
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Not what I thought it was gonna be, a bit disappointed, I'm sure if I had realised what it was going to be about I would of enjoyed it more.
David
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Firstly, read the book version. Ben Miller has a fantastic way of going through all the technobabble and I thoroughly enjoyed the book. It did get a little wish washy towards the end.
Karen
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Too technical for me. Couldn't understand enough of it to be enjoyable. Alas, not enough science instruction in my liberal arts background.
Teleterry