Start by marking “Front Page News” as Want to Read:
Front Page News

Front Page News

Cadet journalist Stacey McCallaghan is struggling to find anything newsworthy to report on in the small country town of Toomey. Front-page stories consist of the price of cattle and lawn bowls results, and Stacey spends more time laying out the crossword than covering actual news.

Until the first dead body turns up.

While the local police fumble the i
Published May 16th 2016 by Penguin Australia

To ask other readers questions about Front Page News, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Front Page News

Start your review of Front Page News
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-books
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
Former outback journalist Katie Rowney turns her hand to fiction with her first novel, a cosy Australian mystery novel, titled Front Page News. This debut centres on the story of a freshly graduated journalist, Stacey McCallaghan, who receives her first big reporting break when she attends the scene of a crime, in the tiny town of Toomey. The junior reporter soon finds she is investigating more crime scenes as the bodies mount u
Brenda
She’d only been in the small town of Toomey for two months, but cadet journalist Stacey McCallaghan was slowly making her way forward in the reporting of the town’s news. Usually a struggle to find news worth reporting, the call from the local police to cover the extraction of a vehicle from the local pond was the beginning of an investigation which only deteriorated as the days wore on.

Stacey’s front page news was all to do with the murder of a local identity. With no evidence, spec
Lee
Stacey is a newspaper reporter in the tiny country (and fictional) Queensland town of Toomey. She spends her time reporting on council meetings and bowls’ tournaments until suddenly a body is found in such a state that it’s fairly obvious a murder has taken place. So, of course, Stacey begins to investigate. As she does the body count rises along with the suspect list and Stacey’s chances of becoming the next victim.

If there’s one thing that has happened since the introduction of ebo
Candida Waterford
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
About a journalist who’s been in Toomey for a short time and wants to cover more than stories for CW, local football news, suddenly finds that she’s “a person of interest “ after finding herself at the scene of a few deaths. She wants to find out why she’s been looked at, why the police are interested in her.
Steph Cuthbert
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aussie-author
Read FPN in a day and bloody loved it. Stacey is such a strong, capable woman and has some of the best narrative I've read in ages. Who thought murder could be so much fun?
This book was the perfect antidote to the shit state of the world at the moment.
Diem
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
A very fun book to read. There are some great lines from Stacey. I've already noted down my favourites.

Also, Fitzgerald has dark curly hair and I'm a sucker for curls.

3.75-4
Michael
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shelf1
it was a fun story, I really enjoyed reading it.
Faye
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Easy good read
Jill
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: australian, crime, humour
'Front Page News' was written by former country journalist Katie Rowney, so I would have thought the story of a journalist in her first job in a country town would be fairly accurate. But Rowney goes for humour here. As the dead bodies pile up in this small town, ambitious journalist Stacey McCallaghan thrives on these unexpected deaths, and attempts to outwit the police in solving them. This is a lightweight bit of fiction and the humour didn't really work for me. I also got sick of hearing how ...more
Karen
May 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
FRONT PAGE NEWS is the debut novel from former Australian journalist Katie Rowney. From the lighter, intended as humour side of crime fiction, cadet journalist Stacey McCallaghan has her first job in the small country town of Toomey working on the local newspaper. Struggling with the grind of making front page news out of the daily goings on in a small town, it's almost like the first dead body is heaven sent for McCallaghan's journalistic ambitions.

The hassle, as always with humour,
Cass Moriarty
Nov 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Front Page News is a delightful, light-hearted romantic murder mystery set in rural Australia. And if you think that description is an oxymoron, that is testimony to the skill of debut author Katie Rowney. Katie depicts the foibles of small town living with the acuity of someone who has lived in one. She also describes the life of a journalist on a small town newspaper with detail that can only come from having worked as one (as indeed she has).
Cadet journo Stacey McCallaghan is 'doing her time
marlin1
May 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Stacey McCallaghan is fresh out of her journalism degree and has been in the small country town of Toomey for a short time. Here working on the local newspaper, it's important to keep everyone in the community happy, especially the bowls ladies.
But suddenly there are a number of deaths around town that can't be explained as accidents, a body in a submerged car, a well known farmer and a tractor accident for starters. As a newcomer she finds herself under suspicion, especially as she's near
Bree T
I found too many things about this book distracting to really enjoy it. I kept stopping and wondering if that would really be likely (or in some cases, knowing that it actually wouldn’t) and although I like that this is a different take on the new adult genre, it did make it a bit hard to take Stacey seriously as she has so little life and journalistic experience and yet basically solves all of the things. The fact that she ended up becoming a suspect (well, person of interest, I’m not sure she ...more
Kerrie
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Stacey McCallaghan is young, inexperienced and a little naive. She seems to have a lot of responsibility in the production of the weekly Toomey Times. and copes with that quite well. Murder is not really her scene but the discovery of a body in a car in a local watering pond brings a frisson of excitement. At first sight it looks as if a gang from a nearby town must be teaching somebody a lesson, and nobody is expecting the next body.

The plot becomes more convoluted and puzzling as t
Arnna (The Book Cook)
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Ok now I might be a little bias.... loved the book. The whole small town from an outsiders veiw was kitchy enough without being alienating. And even though by some miracle I managed to guess the killer it still took me untill the last few chapters to connect all the dots. When's the next one coming out Katie? I can use baking as bribery!
Jo Geromin
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Light-hearted, funny, genuine and just the right amount of twists, this is a fast, fun read that kept me laughing and guessing 'til the end. In fact, I was so engrossed in the last few pages that I almost missed my train stop. More please Katie!
Kali Napier
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Small-town crime novel that kept me guessing until the end. Tightly plotted. Nothing saggy.
Talking Books
Jun 09, 2016 rated it liked it
A youngish, quirky, who-done-it, small town mystery read with some witty and likeable characters throughout.
Review copy received from Penguin Books Australia via Netgalley for an honest rating
Marijana Attwater

• Are You My Mother? A Comic Drama
  • The Tea Gardens
  • Devil's Lair
  • Blanky
Katie Rowney’s debut novel Front Page News will be published by Penguin Random House. A former journalist, she now works in communications and owns far too much china.

Katie grew up on Tamborine Mountain, Queensland, and only made it as far as the big smoke of Brisbane city before settling down with her husband Magnus, two dogs and two cats.

She reads a minimum of three books a week, has an