Start by marking “Marian” as Want to Read:
Marian

Marian

When Marian Banner moves to the glittering city of Nottingham with her father, Sir Erik the Fortunate, her entire life changes. She is no longer allowed to run about the countryside in trousers and braids, climbing fences and shooting turkeys, but is thrust into a life of dresses and jewels and dancing lessons, none of which Marian is particularly pleased about. Her dark m ...more
Published November 3rd 2016 by Harmony Ink Press

To ask other readers questions about Marian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marian

Danika at The Lesbrary
So... Is this a prequel? When I heard "lesbian Robin Hood", this wasn't what I expected. There aren't really any of the elements that I associate with Robin Hood. If there wasn't a character called Robin Hood, I wouldn't have guessed it was a Robin Hood retelling.

This is also more of a novella: only 135 pages. It feels like the first half of a novel.

I liked the characters, and it's a good story, but it just didn't meet the "lesbian Robin Hood" description for me.
Rebecca
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: quiltbag-ya, 2016
Robin Hood: you've never seen it like this before
This time around, Robin is a girl. Why wear bows when you can fire them instead?
And Marian, our leading lady: far from a maid, adventure forbade; longing for more, finding life a bore
Oh, the constraints of society!

I'm not very familiar with this classic, but I rather enjoyed this diverse retelling as roles are reversed. This time, Robin is a girl and a lesbian romance blossoms between her and Marian. I must admit, I'm not a big fan of younger YA a
Emily
I did it. I read this book. I knew about this book before it came out, and have been skeptical ever since. I've read a very large majority of traditionally published Robin Hood books, and consumed plenty of other media as well. The immediate draw for this book is the idea of a lesbian retelling. "Yes! That's me!" was my initial response. And then... Well, then I realized that I was in for a gender-swap, which (unpopular opinion) I have never enjoyed. It brings back horrifying memories of Scarlet ...more
Alexa
Hm. I loved most of this, but towards the end I wasn't sure. Still, I this was a good F/F retelling.
Chiara
A copy of this novel was provided by the author for review.

The beginning of Marian completely sucked me in. I always love it when I know I’m going to enjoy a book from the first page, and with Marian it was practically from the first word. This was mainly because the writing style was lovely, and incredibly easy to engage with.

Although, I was somewhat surprised that over half of Marian was about Marian and Robin as fourteen year olds. I don’t usually gravitate towards the lower end of YA, and th
Mel
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
“A girl can do plenty of things besides get married and pop out babies.”
“Of course she can,” Marian said. “And if you don’t want to have a husband, you shouldn’t.”

One of the aspects I love most about this lesbian retelling of Robin Hood is its refreshing view on women and gender roles. From such minor things as the mention of a female blacksmith to the two female main characters Marian and Robin, who are both independent and strong-headed girls, this book was an utter delight to read.

When she is
Nicole Field
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
From the very first pages, I loved this book and I especially loved the character of Robin.

Ella Lyons makes the story of Robin Hood her own with a story from Marian's perspective and a female Robin Hood.

Marian Banner is the only child of King John's banner man. As such, this bestows upon her a certain amount of stature. However, for most of the year she lives with a farmer and his family in Abyglen. When she is moved to Nottingham, nothing about her life is as she wanted it to be. She feels pull
Jaylee
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-f-books, queer-lit
Marian is either a prequel to the classic Robin Hood story we all know, or it's the first installment of a series. The book closes at the beginning of a story, not the end of one. I think that may frustrate some readers, and feel this book needs to marketed differently to avoid that, so I'm telling you that upfront. [EDIT: According to the author, this *is* the first book of a series.]

The story, however, is very well-done. The writing is lovely, with sensory details that bring the world to life
M. Hollis
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Between them, their hands curled near each other, and Marian wished for the boldness she'd felt the night before when she'd taken Robin's hand in hers. It was an easier thing to do when Robin was asleep, when she wouldn't laugh at her. Or pull away. Or look at her in the horrified, disgusted way Marian sometimes imagined she might."

This book is a rewriting of Robin Hood where we see the story from Marian's POV and where Robin is a redhead fiery girl. I love retellings as a whole already, but g
Anam Ali
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it
It was going so bloody well and I was really enjoying the story when all of a sudden the author was all 'that's it, that's all you gonna get, the story is over now, finite my friend, adios amigos' and suddenly in less than a chapter it was The End™. What TF?! (\*^*/)
Onna
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an amazing take on Robin Hood. I was sad how abruptly it ended. It was sweet and short and I would totally read another part of their story if it ever was one.
Molli Moran
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
More like 3.5 stars. A fresh take on Robin Hood, this is a f/f historical romance with a great deal of heart, sweet moments, and was really enjoyable.
Amber
Apr 28, 2018 rated it liked it
This feels like a startup to a Robin Hood retelling, but unless you're really paying attention you won't notice. It also the ending makes it kinda feel like it isn't finished.
Shira Glassman
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted on The Lesbrary. One way to describe this is that it’s a kiddie version of Heather Rose Jones’s Daughter of Mystery – both are costume dramas featuring a traditionally feminine lesbian with a nurturing personality and a lesbian swordfighter living in a world where it’s not customary for women to participate in combat, both feature father figures who a main character is both attached to and in opposition to, and both feature court intrigue – just to name a few similaritie ...more
Cait Califa
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
(received an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review)

you can read my full review here: https://brujabooks.wordpress.com/2016...

Marian is being marketed as lesbian retelling of the legend of Robin Hood. But as the title suggests, this story belongs to Marian. Marian isn’t just Robin Hood’s love interest in this book and it’s a nice change to take the familiar story in, through the eyes of Marian rather than Robin.

Marian is a young country girl, new to Nottingham and trying to adju
Ann Elise Monte
Rating probably closer to 3.5 stars.

I started off quite liking this book. The writing style was easy to read without appearing overly simplistic and, while that remained the case for the whole book, I did find my opinion of the plot and characters souring a little bit.

I didn't mind Marian. Early on she was quite whiny, but given her age and circumstances at the time, I was willing to cut her some slack. She became a lot more tolerable once she was a bit older. Robin was entertaining at first, bu
Cande
Retelling of Robin Hood, f/f couple, happing ending, so many feelings.

It was so cute and funny. I have always loved Marian, and this is her story. This book isn't about Robin and the rebellion, but how Marian ended up in the court and met Robin. It is very sweet, with friends to lovers trope. I really needed to read a happy queer story.

At the end, I cried so much, happy tears because they have gone (and will go) through so much pain.

Read it, please.
Kaiti
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is a good concept executed horribly.

Mediocre writing, incredibly odd pacing, no character development just people suddenly changing their minds about how they act, and the relationships between all the characters are shallow and I don't at all believe that they would make the sacrifices for each other that they do in the book.
bekah
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recs-for-leo, wlw
What the fucgkkgkgnfnfngng I'm shook ???!!!?? Where's the sequel?????????????????????????

Anyways this was a very lovely book and it left me feeling all fuzzy and happy inside and I'm Shook
Marie
I'm torn between 4 and 5 stars. It was a definite 5-star for me until the ending, which was incredibly abrupt. There was all this exciting action happening, and then I turned the page and was hit with the author's bio. It was really jarring, not to mention disappointing. I was invested in the story and the characters, and I wanted so much more, even though part of me can understand why it ended there. That being said, I really enjoyed the writing, and I loved the author's take on Marian's histor ...more
Nina Rossing
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, lgbt
My immediate reaction to this book is that is was very cute! It grabbed me right away with its descriptions and vivid language. We get to know Marian very well before Robin Hood is introduced. The idea that Robin Hood is a girl is refreshing and quite a hook.
The book is too short, though - part two of the story ends at a critical point when a new and important part of the story should begin, so I assume this is the first book in a series. I would still have liked more of a conclusion.

One issue I
Victoria MacGregor
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
The setting in this book is a perfect sweet spot from an imaginary-fairy-tale-castle-medieval-land. There is much mead drinking, jousting, fanciful gowns, and castle balls, but where a woman can wear tunics and leggings and take a few archery lessons without causing too much of a fuss. The romance between Marian and Robin is perfectly poignant and sweet. I wish I had read this when I was a teenager. My only critique would be that I feel it did not have to lean on the Robin Hood story. It could h ...more
Sara
Mar 26, 2017 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the beginning of this book. Marian and Robin's meeting as teens worked well, and it was fun and cute watching them navigate their feelings. But the middle abruptly becomes the end and then it's over. The last few chapters are brutal and not so enjoyable. (There's a sexual assault scene that was unnecessarily graphic.) There's no real connection to Robin Hood other than the names of the characters, which was a bit of a bummer. I would have loved to see Robin in the story become R ...more
Joe Kessler
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm of two minds about this book. On the one hand, I love the idea of a lesbian retelling of Robin Hood, and this is a cute story of two girls falling in love in quasi-medieval England. On the other hand, it bears almost no resemblance to any classic Robin Hood tales, to the point where if the characters had had different names I doubt I would have even realized the intended connection. It's a short book and there are some indications that this could just be the opening chapter of a longer narra ...more
Stephanie
Sep 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, adaptations, glbtq, ya
This was too short to cover everything. There was a massive time jump, during which Marian apparently became kind of awesome, but the text glossed over it and didn't show too much. I would have loved to see more of it, plus some development of her involvement with Robin as an adult. There was a lot of potential here, and I enjoyed it, but ultimately the story would have benefited from being a hundred pages longer because I felt like I missed the most interesting parts of this story.
Shaunette
As a Robin Hood retelling this is not very good. It's a really good story but nothing reminded me of Robin Hood. If there wasn't a character named Robin Hood, I wouldn't have even known it was a retelling.
Maybe if this was revised, I'd give a higher rating because I actually really like this from the first page.
Ashwini Natasha
I really appreciated the concept and I liked the characters a lot. However, the climax and everything after seemed rather rushed; the ending was abrupt and left me rather disappointed and surprised. The story clearly should not have been over, and yet, it was. Still, I'll always enjoy a lesbian retelling of anything.
Christie
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I read the book as a part of a book club, and was intrigued by the premise. Unfortunately, I found that many of the characters and story lines were drastically underdeveloped, leaving me wondering of the full story behind them.
Mel
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ff, lesbian-romance
Wow, I certainly wasn't expecting that. I actually liked the "real Robin Hood", if you know what I mean, and I didn't see that coming at all. Although I was really happy Marian got rid of that disgusting king, I was kind of hoping for something more at the ending.
michael jackson
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fine read

Good use of retelling the legend. Can't wait for more of the story to unfold and find out where it goes.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Our Own Private Universe
  • Mask of Shadows (Mask of Shadows #1)
  • The Gallery of Unfinished Girls
  • Tash Hearts Tolstoy
  • Ramona Blue
  • It's Not Like It's a Secret
  • Lunaside
  • How to Make a Wish
  • Dear Martin
  • 27 Hours (The Nightside Saga, #1)
  • The Hate U Give
  • Not Your Sidekick (Sidekick Squad, #1)
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • Out on Good Behavior (Radleigh University, #3)
  • Style
  • Beast
  • Sea Witch (Sea Witch, #1)
  • Here Lies Daniel Tate