Start by marking “Radical Mycology: A Treatise On Seeing & Working With Fungi” as Want to Read:
Radical Mycology: A Treatise On Seeing & Working With Fungi

Radical Mycology: A Treatise On Seeing & Working With Fungi

Fungi are found throughout the world, often playing critical roles at the center of all ecological webs. As culturally important foods and medicines, as well as instigators of religious practices, they have been intimately tied to the development and spread of human societies. And yet, despite their numerous influences on the history of the world, fungi are completely disr ...more
Published February 2nd 2016 by Chthaeus Press

To ask other readers questions about Radical Mycology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Radical Mycology

Start your review of Radical Mycology: A Treatise On Seeing & Working With Fungi
Len
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
My copy came via Goodreads giveaways.
I have not yet read the whole book, but it's clear that the author 'radically' envisions a future involving more (some mutually-)beneficial interactions (symbioses?) between humans and mushrooms. The illustrations are both attractive and helpful, apparently for beginners (like me) and pros alike. he sees mycology becoming "a people's science"; as long as risks are managed appropriately, it sounds promising to me...
Sølvi Goard
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Finishing this has been a work of dedication, mainly because I found it hard to get through a chapter without making extensive notes, copying diagrams, opening up Wikipedia and then telling everyone I know about the incredible science I just read.

This book has committment, nuance, depth. I really respect and appreciate McCoy's dedication to bringing it all together.
Tim
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book to expose yourself to the diversity of the fungal Kingdom. Covering biology, organic chemistry, mushroom hunting, cultivation, dyeing, lichen, and much more.

If you want to learn more about wild edible mushrooms and plants, check out @mnforager on instagram and Ironwood Foraging Co. on facebook and at IronwoodForaging.com
Dennis Bendickson
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Never knew there was so information about mushrooms.Excellent resource
Amy
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful book. It really is the cutting edge of Mycology today. I cant wait to see what else McCoy will publish next!
Alexis Williams
Jan 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reshelved
Radical Mycology is Peter McCoy's tome on everything mushroomy. The bulk of its heft is on DIY mushroom cultivation, but he didn't leave anything out. I go to it to check anything I want to know about mushrooms. 'Are their connections between mushrooms and lightening?' Check RadMyc. ' How do mushrooms have sex?' Check RadMyc. ' Are there mushrooms on Mars?' Check RadMyc.

He aims to make Mycological knowledge accessible for all and runs the Radical Mycology Convergence, Mycologos online mushroom s
Mork1966
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it
ITS MORE OF AN ENCYCLOPEDIA SO...
asna
Dec 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
this is an epic tome... but so so good that I read it cover to cover.
I'm so glad this exists for the sake of humanity
this is a wild project Peter & u nailed it
excited to read what u have to say about mushroom psychology...
Rod Endacott
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you eat food this is essential reading . . .
Champ
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic work for those wanting a deep understanding of mycology. Well written and researched, Peter lays down his knowledge while striking a perfect balance of theory and practice.
Travis Elliott
Really a remarkable treatise on all aspects of mycology – both scientific and mythological. It really made me think more about the role in my current life and in the evolution of species and planet.
Dani
Jul 30, 2020
Oscar
Feb 04, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Authors...: Ecology Book For Review - Radical Mycology 1 15 Mar 10, 2016 11:58AM

• Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World
  • Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods
  • Entangled Life: How Fungi Make Our Worlds, Change Our Minds & Shape Our Futures
  • World of Wonders: In Praise of Fireflies, Whale Sharks, and Other Astonishments
  • Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants
  • The Burnouts (Quarantine, #3)
  • The Mushroom at the End of the World: On the Possibility of Life in Capitalist Ruins
  • DIY Mushroom Cultivation: Growing Mushrooms at Home for Food, Medicine, and Soil
  • The Grace Year
  • Food of the Gods: The Search for the Original Tree of Knowledge
  • Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms
  • The Art of Fermentation: An in-Depth Exploration of Essential Concepts and Processes from Around the World
  • The Last Command (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #3)
  • Dark Force Rising (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #2)
  • The Immortality Key: Uncovering the Secret History of the Religion with No Name
  • The Colour Out of Space
  • Diaspora

News & Interviews

When it comes to the romance genre, second books can be a bit like second dates, can't they? You've had that great initial meet-cute with...