Start by marking “The Champion of Barésh (Star, #4; Star World Frontier, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Champion of Barésh (Star, #4; Star World Frontier, #1)

The Champion of Barésh

(Star #4)

NOTE: The latest edition of Star Champion (Kindle B01B5LBYM0) with a new cover is HERE.

RITA® winner and New York Times & USA Today bestselling author Susan Grant sweeps readers away to exciting new worlds in another romance and action-packed story!

Dreaming big on a dead-end world... Jemm Aves toils for a mining company by day, but at night she is a successful bajha player,
Published May 26th 2016

To ask other readers questions about The Champion of Barésh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Champion of Barésh

Start your review of The Champion of Barésh (Star, #4; Star World Frontier, #1)
Marta Cox
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-reviews
I haven't read a book by Susan Grant for quite some time and have fond memories of her Star series. I seem to recall a certain well meaning Prince causing all manner of madness and mayhem and what do you know Prince Klark Vedla not only finally gets his own book but it just happens to be the first in a whole new series.
Yes Klark has always known his brother Che is heir to the throne which makes him the spare! Not really what any honourable male wants to consider himself but Klark unfortunately
Mei
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf, netgalley
Wonderful SF romance!

The will the heroine, Jemm, has is incredible! She's ready to do everything to take care of her family and to take them away from the grim place they're living in. And when the occasion presents itself, she's ready to take it. So, diguised as man, she enters the dangerous world of bajha.

Bajha is a honored martial discipline everywhere else, but on Baresh it's wild and governed by underground lords who will do anything to secure the best players for themselves, even maim and
Pattrycia
May 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-giveaway
I found out about this book from one of my GR friends who recommended it to me. I just finished The Bird and the Sword by Amy Harmon which is a fantasy book & was still in the mood for more of this type of genre. So I requested this book on Netgalley & surprisingly got approved.

The girl-disguised-as-a-boy theme is actually nothing new. BUT, since this book involves a Prince, this makes it much more interesting. So, Jemm is a girl who works in the mines in order to provide for her family. Her father is dead & she's left with t
All Things Urban Fantasy
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-by-kim
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

This book is fabulous. Automatic new favourite.

I fell in love with Jemm, the main characters, from the first few pages of the book. She’s strong, she’s worried about her family and she wants a better life for them. She wants to follow her dreams, but the same sport that is putting food on their table is the one their mother claims killed her father. Oh, and girls aren’t allowed to play bahja, a kind of sensory-deprived fencing/martial art/yoga. Oops.

The
Marlene
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

Because I kept conflating this story with the excellent The Empress Game by Rhonda Mason, I was kind of expecting that the stakes in The Champion of Baresh would be slightly bigger than they are. And then they actually are, but not quite in the way I thought. And that’s always a good thing. I also kept wondering if this story linked at all to Grant’s Star series. It turns out that it does, but it is not necessary to have read, or to remember in my case, the
Cindy
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-reads
I want to hike on the paths, too. I want to smell everything, to taste everything, to see the birds, and the trees. All of it. In my wildest dreams I couldn't have imagined a place like this. I feel like I've been caged all my life and now I'm finally free.

I received a free review copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Holy craggin crat! This is the first book of Susan Grant that I have ever read. And I should say, I am so glad I read this book.

I love this book. I love everything of
Coco.V
Jan 12, 2021 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
🎁 The Star Series: The Complete 7 Book Sci-Fi Romance Boxed Set is FREE on Amazon today (1/12/2021)! 🎁
Jody
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
From the first page to the last there's much about this book that left me giddy with its virtually angst-free romance between apparent opposites and exhilarating action scenes set amidst class and gender distinctions. Some of the themes are familiar but Ms. Grant put a fresh spin on them which added to my overall enjoyment and I didn't want it to end.

Jemm's grown up on a harsh world where her people are considered amongst the lowest class. A lack of food, medical care, and a family torn apart by
Sue Me
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Susan Grant is an author that I read years ago when she first came out with her Star King, Star Prince, Star Princess books. I adored them and they still are on my 'Keepers' shelves. I recently read the new Star Princess book, and I will review that next, but first The Champion of Baresch.

Susan Grant did a wonderful job of world-building for me. Baresch is a small planet that was once technologically advanced and superior in all respects. They might have been the ancients. Remnants of their tal
Florence
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing

I’ve been a fan of Susan Grant since I first picked up a copy of The Legend of Banzai Maguire on a newsstand in 2004. I have read all her books, and I was thrilled to have the opportunity to read her latest work in advance and review it.

The Champion of Baresh is very much in keeping with the rest of Ms. Grant’s Vash Nadah series: strong women flying against tradition in a heavily male-dominated society. Some of the sexual double standards, which I found quite “icky” in previous books, are downp

KJ Van Houten
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Two people on opposite ends of the social spectrum, each searching for a place to belong. Each with something or someone to protect, to fight for. Brought together by a shared loved for bajha – a form of fighting that involves swordplay while restricting a player’s sense of sight, where a player must rely on intuition, focus, and intense control.

Two people: Klark, owner and trainer of a professional bajha team, highly skilled in his own right, seeks to redeem his name, regain the acceptance of
Cara Bristol
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, 2017
Simply amazeballs!
The world-building is phenomenal. Reading The Champion of Baresh isn't like reading book it's like having a ring side seat as the story unfolds in front of you. Just amazing. If you've ever wondered what "world-building" is; The Champion of Baresh ought to be required reading.

Author Susan Grant also did an excellent job of building tension in small ways throughout the book, to keep me turning the pages. I was biting my nails to think that something might mess us Jemm's chance t
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
Hero. Heroine. Who saves whom? The winner here would be them both. While the prince was working to find his way in a world that he was just a spare to the throne, he had to define himself and define what his life meant. Jemm was just your atypical girl that wanted better for her family. She just did not sit around waiting for things to get better. She made her own way and made it being something she was not but doing what she loved.

Some would say she was playing with fire. She was really playin
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
It has been a long five-year wait for the start of a new series by Grant. It is a very good story with great characters. One, Prince Klark, is a carry over from her Star series and another, Jemm Ave, is brand new. I loved how Klark was trying to bring honor to his family after his actions in a previous book did the reverse. Jemm is perfect in the role of a very strong woman who is working hard to help her family. The world building is very good and back-story for Jemm is spot on. My only complai ...more
Laz the Sailor
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a very engaging scifi romance, where all of the main characters were well developed. The story of a waif on a backwater planet who becomes a hero for everyone was enchanting, and while there isn't much new here, the author is adept at writing scifi and lite erotica.

I will likely read the next book in this series.
Coral
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
TINNGG
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: futuristic
4.5 stars - nobody's perfect

A loose end from a series orphaned either by a publisher saying "we don't want " or by a publisher going under. Since I think the first three of the series were published by Dorcester, might be a little of both. Regardless...

Star Princess kinda left a loose end in the form of the H's brother who escaped house arrest to save his brother and the sister of the hero from Star Prince. The author changed publishers somewhere around in here so the series was not completed. T
Darlene Reilley
When I say I’m a Book Dragon, I mean that when I find a writer whose words inspire me or who creates something special, I will put aside every other book in my pile and read that writer’s whole oeuvre.

That happened. I borrowed a book from my library’s online site…and went into a wormhole I hope I never get out of. My gateway book to Susan Grant’s worlds was The Star King (2013). I’ll review that in another post, but I have to mention it—I still love the characters in that novel more than any I’
Judy
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Grade C+. I must confess that I struggled a bit to finish this one. Wha'ts not to love about the familiar trope of a girl pretending to be a guy so she can do something forbidden? In this case we have Jemm Aves who lives on a less than pleasing mining planet. She supports the family on mining company wages but at night she dresses in her fathers old bajha player uniform and competes for extra cash. Bajha is kinda of a sword/fencing match played in total darkness. The unwritten rule is "no girls" ...more
Claire
I continue to be glad that I discovered this series and author in one of the Pets in Space anthologies! This is a great addition to the Star series, and I was able to follow along even though I accidentally skipped the book before this - most of the plot referenced here actually refers back to the second book, and I was able to infer anything I missed, though I think there was a minor spoiler for some action in book 3.

Both Jemm and Klark grow and mature over the course of this book, and I was g
Lisa
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you're into helpless females swept away by prince charming - this is not for you. But if you appreciate strong women who aren't afraid to dream big - and then work hard to reach those dreams - this book will be immensely satisfying.

I love the strong female characters in Susan's books, and Jemm does not disappoint. She grabs onto her dream with a gritty determination, a willingness to do what it takes to be the best she can be, and a noble goal to pull her family out of poverty.

One reason this
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jemm's family needs money to get away from their slum like home world of Baresh. She decides to disguise herself as a male to compete in street bajha, a game that only men are admitted to play. Her talent is such that it catches the eye of nearly disgraced prince Klark, who just so happens to manage a professional bajha team. When he discovers that Jemm is a woman he has to go against his beliefs to let her stay. But he does and ends up fighting for a way for her to play openly and to not give i ...more
Carolyn Jenkins
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Opposites Attract

Huge obstacles must be overcome before Jemm Aves can help her family escape extreme poverty on a mining planet on the outskirts of the galaxy. Prince Klarke needs to reclaim his reputation and enhance his family's honor. These two unlikely individuals gain their objectives together, but only after breaking tradition and stirring up the known galaxy. This was an exciting and heartwarming story.
Brittany
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, sci-fi, alien
So this took a long time for me to read this but I am actually really glad I did. I read the original release of this book. Now we have a woman that is doing her best to provide for her family on a planet that is basically the poorest of the poor. She decides to fight in a all man’s sport to make ends meet. This book explorers women power and romance with a really good mix of both. I really enjoyed the story a great deal.
Jamoz23
Jul 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining and solidly enjoyable wrap up.
Interesting to get more information about all these worlds and how the inhabitants live.
The sports and gender angle was fun.
Loved how this all played out and found both Jemm and Klarke likeable. Klarke was a bit slow on the uptake of his feelings.
Loved how we had good endings on quite a few personal fronts.
Read in the box set through Kindle Unlimited.
Jeanne Johnston
Jan 19, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I've never seen a villain rehabilitated so completely as Klark Vedla. Yes, he redeemed himself a good deal in the third book but this sealed the deal.

The romance angle wasn't super believable but the feminist win was satisfying, given the centuries-long stodginess amongst the Vash. Obvious bonus romances looming with some peripheral characters, as well.
Bookish Addict
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderfully written scifi that introduces the struggles of females even far beyond our reach and the female empowerment to rise above it all. It's a perfect blend of action and romance. I really enjoyed reading the book, I'm looking forward to reading more from this author. ...more
Shana Pare
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another winner!

Of all of the stories in the Star Series, this may be the best, but only by a hair. I am so glad to see the redemption of Prince Klark. I highly recommend this book and the entire series.
Angela
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Questions of legality aside, are females capable of fighting on par with their masculine counterparts? For the empire, the answer is NO! but one Prince and one female bajha champion will fight to prove that YES, all is fair in the war of love and war.
Kim
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable story. I really liked how she wrote the female character, strong, resilient, and tough.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The SEAL's Best Man (Special Ops: Homefront, 2)
  • Alien General's Baby (Zoran Warriors #1)
  • Moment of Truth (The Potentate of Atlanta #5)
  • Proof of Life (The Potentate of Atlanta, #4)
  • Storm Forged (Death Before Dragons #6)
  • Bitterburn (Gothic Fairytales, #1)
  • False Security (Death Before Dragons #5)
  • Ivokk (Sectors New Allies #12)
  • Beyond the Next Star (Love Beyond #1)
  • Crown of Shadows (Court of Midnight and Deception #1)
  • Seduced by a Beast (Hearts of Stone #3)
  • Into the Dark
  • Magical Midlife Invasion (Leveling Up #3)
  • The Alpha's Oracle (The Oracle #1)
  • Bachelor Beast (Interstellar Brides® Program: The Beasts, #1)
  • Chosen (Chosen, #1)
  • Decadence (Darkstar Mercenaries #4)
  • The Noose Of A New Moon (Wolfbrand #1)
Susan’s childhood dreams of becoming a space explorer fizzled when she found out calculus was involved. Luckily, she didn’t need math skills to fly jets--or to create space stories in her head, first for herself, then for friends, and now for readers everywhere.

A New York Times/USA Today bestselling author and a military veteran, Susan won the prestigious RITA® Award for her book Contact, a sci-

Star (4 books)
  • Star King (Star, #1)
  • Star Prince (Star, #2)
  • Star Princess (Star, #3)

News & Interviews