Start by marking “Everything All at Once” as Want to Read:
Everything All at Once

Everything All at Once

Lottie Reeves has always struggled with anxiety, and when her beloved Aunt Helen dies, Lottie begins to fear that her own unexpected death might be waiting around every corner.

Aunt Helen wasn’t a typical aunt. She was the author of the best–selling Alvin Hatter series, about siblings who discover the elixir of immortality. Her writing inspired a generation of readers.

In h
Published July 25th 2017 by HarperCollins Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Everything All at Once, please sign up.
Katrina Leno I've just gone and double checked. The 'f' word is used exactly once. Other lesser swears (in particular, sh*t), are used very minimally. I counted ab…moreI've just gone and double checked. The 'f' word is used exactly once. Other lesser swears (in particular, sh*t), are used very minimally. I counted about 15 instances in the entire book. Nothing worse than those. No sexual content; no violence. I'd say it's definitely suitable for younger teens :) Keep in mind, it does deal with the subject of loss but it is in a very realistic, and not sensationalistic, way. Hope this helps!(less)
Ellie This is realistic fiction with hints of magical realism elements. I wouldn't classify this book as a fantasy. …moreThis is realistic fiction with hints of magical realism elements. I wouldn't classify this book as a fantasy. (less)
Lord of Shadows by Cassandra ClareKing's Cage by Victoria AveyardCaraval by Stephanie GarberCarve the Mark by Veronica RothFlame in the Mist by Renée Ahdieh
YA Novels of 2017
1,104 books — 8,468 voters
Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny HanThe Hate U Give by Angie ThomasThe Upside of Unrequited by Becky AlbertalliBy Your Side by Kasie WestOne of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus
2017 YA contemporary
205 books — 590 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Everything All at Once
emma
i recommended this to my mom and immediately got so jealous of how much she was enjoying it that i had to reread it

stays at 4.5!

---

I am truly between a rock and a hard place here.

In September, I read this book. I loved it so much that I gave it five stars, which I straight up never do.

Now, it is January. It is well past write-this-review o'clock. But there is a Problem.

I do not remember this book at all.

I know. I KNOW! There is no way on god's great green
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this SO MUCH. So very, very much. However.... there is a romance-y part of this book (the ending, so I can’t give specific details) that I didn’t really like, so keep that in mind. It clearly didn’t affect my overall rating or enjoyment of the book as a whole, but it’s definitely a thing that I can’t pretend didn’t happen. This is still one of my absolute favorite books of the year and I’m still very much obsessed with Katrina Leno, but, yeah. Lol

(If you’re curious as to what I’m talking
C.G. Drews
Oh this book was a special little pocket of goodness. It perfectly combines contemporary with a smidge of magical realism that just pleases my heart greatly because MAGIC. I love magic!! And this one kind of sneaks up on you, because it's first and foremostly about dealing with grief, anxiety disorders, epic families, slightly mysterious boys, and a whole lot of ice cream. As books should be. Honestly if a book doesn't have ice cream, what's the point of its face. I ASK YOU.

THINGS I LOVED SO MUC
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
About: Everything All At Once is a young adult fiction written by Katrina Leno. It will be published on 7/25/17 by HarperTeen, an imprint of HarperCollins, 368 pages. The genres are young adult, contemporary, mental illness, and fiction.

My Experience: I started reading Everything All At Once on 7/12/17 and finished it on 7/15/17. This book is really a great read! There were many valid questions that makes me think about life and death. I love the characters and plot. I love the letters Aunt Hele
Heather
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-contemporary
I expected more from this honestly. I enjoyed the message & the fact that her aunt was a bestselling middle grade author but I wanted a little more depth.
Katrina Leno
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Wish I could give this 6 stars!!!!!!!! (Have we decided whether it's tacky to rate your own books?) ...more
Sarah Elizabeth

“I know Aunt Helen is the one who died, but now it kind of feels like I’m next.”

This was a YA contemporary story, with a bit of a fantasy twist towards the end.

Lottie was an okay character and I felt sorry for her when she had to try and deal with anxiety and panic attacks. It was also quite sad that her aunt had died so young.

The storyline in this was about Lottie receiving 24 letters from her
Crini
Aug 2017: pretty sure someone was cutting onions right next to me the whole time while I was reading the book.

-------

MANY FEELS, NO WORDS TO WRITE A COHERENT REVIEW RN.
Maraia
This was all sorts of perfect. I love that Katrina Leno's books are 100% relatable and 0% cheesy. She never "cures" her characters. She lets them grow while still being themselves, and they're always wonderful. This is a very emotional book, and I read it at exactly the right/wrong time, which only made my feelings while reading it that much more intense. Also: A+ for all the book love! ...more
Misty
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book.
Lottie's aunt has just passed away and now Lottie and her family are trying to deal with the loss. Aunt Helen was a famous book author. Let's pretend she was like J.K. Rowling, but instead she wrote a children's series about immortality and was the biggest selling author etc etc etc.

Lottie received letters from her aunt after she died. The letters instructed Lottie to take chances and to get out of her comfort zone. The letters also told of a secret Aunt Helen was hid
Sana
Every single thing that happens in Everything All at Once is nothing short of amazing. It was, simultaneously, too late and too early in the week for all the emotions that this book made me feel.

It was so easy, almost effortless, to relate to Lottie. So many little things and big things about life and loss and death and family and siblings and friendship to relate to. ENDLESS LOVE FOR THIS BOOK LIKE HOW IS SUCH PERFECTION EVEN REAL.

Lastly, there are so, so many words just dedicated to books and
Shari (colourmeread)
I don’t know if you’ve ever had a book call to you, but when I was thinking about what I might want to read next one day, my eyes landed on this book and I knew it was time. Everything All at Once was everything I didn’t know I wanted and needed.

It was funny. It was relatable. And it was vulnerable.

Katrina Leno was able to write Lottie’s story in a way that felt like she was also writing to the reader. It never comes off preachy or pretentious, but always like having an Aunt Helen who’s there to
Kitkat
Oct 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
I was so excited for this book and maybe that's why I'm really disappointed. I just am so angry at the ending that I don't even want to talk about it. I just can't deal with the ending. I wasted my time with this book and I don't say that about every book I read. I was so excited to read it but then it just got ridiculous. The ending is just ridiculous and I can't understand the fantasy being added. It was so good until the author revealed Sam's secret. The characters were too perfect and their ...more
Julie Zantopoulos
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it, read-in-2018
I really do adore Katrina's writing but there was something just off about this story that got to me. Like, the big "reveal" came so late and it was so obvious to everyone but the main character. It would have been so much better to explore the story without the "secret" being held for so long. So many interesting discussions could have been had if all information was out in the open for more than the last 20 pages.

However, it was a great look at loss, grief, mental health, and healing. I adore
Inge
This book is like a YA version of P.S. I Love You and it was absolutely lovely.
Puck
"Books can make you live a thousand lifetimes, a thousand different lives.
Books make you immortal."

A touching contemporary, with a small magical-realism twist at the end. When Lottie's aunt Helen Reaves dies, she leaves behind an unfinished book-series, millions of heartbroken fans, and 24 letters for his niece. These letters dare Lottie, who suffers from anxiety and panic attacks, to accept death and embrace the unknown future.

The theme of "losing a loved one" was handled tenderly and wi
Mehsi
A beautiful book about family, anxiety, friendship, mourning, letting go, and sadly also a magical element.

So this book was, up tot the revelation of the magical element, 5+ stars. I just couldn't, wouldn't, didn't want, to stop reading (sadly, one has to stop at times for sleep or for boyfriends), but you get my drift. Then the magical element was added, and my rating dropped to 5 stars. At this point I am still wondering if I should have this book to be 4.5 instead, and you know what, 4.5 star
Misster
May 31, 2019 rated it it was ok

Eh, if by Everything All At Once we're referring to the lack of substance until the last twenty pages, then yes I'd say that's a pretty accurate title.

For the last few months I’ve heard a lot of hype surrounding Katrina Leno. Albeit, more toward Summer of Salt than anything else. However, I thought I’d start out with a novel on her backlist before jumping into her most recent work. If you didn’t know, Everything All At Once follows Lottie, the niece of a renowned author (aka the J.K. Rowling of
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
“Books can make you live a thousand different lifetimes, a thousand different lives. Books can make you immortal.”

Everything At At Once is a beautifully moving story of grief and finding happiness when you feel like there is none left. Following letters from her recently passed aunt, Lottie Reeves grows in courage and boldness in this fun and engaging contemporary with a bonus scavenger hunt feel!

Things I Liked :
Lottie and her family are charming and create a warm atmosphere that easily i
Antonia
“The moment I started reading, I was no longer in my bedroom, no longer sad, no longer even myself.”

This was literally the weirdest book I have ever read. I was expecting a good contemporary about grieving with a little love-story, and that's what I got. For 300 pages. And then the last 50 started. I have no idea what the author was thinking, it makes zero sense and I'm super confused. Also the anxiety representation is horrible. At one point her love-interest tells her to breathe deeply and sh
Nicy
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 stars!
This book talks about death and loss of a family member and still manages to feel like a light contemporary read. It is sad and funny at the same time and thought provoking. Katrina Leno's books always have some fantastical elements and twists and this one was so! good!
Iryna *Book and Sword*

This is a mediocre/good book that had the potential to be great/amazing, but alas, it didn't reach that potential. It's a shame really, because I loved many components of this book, but I didn't love the book as a whole all that much.

Let's start with the good stuff:
- Healthy and heartwarming siblings relationship portrayal.
​- Diversity all throughout.
- Anxiety representation.
- And the main top
Rian *fire and books*
I'm not sure how to rate this book yet.... once I figure it out I'll let y'all know. ...more
Danielle
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I didn't want this book to end, which is fitting for a story with themes of life and life ending and grief and time and choices. It's about how we choose to live with the limited time we have, framed by letters Lottie's late Aunt Helen leaves for her to read and instructions to follow (and a secret she's kept).

(Lots of gems for writers and readers too as the aunt character was a novelist.)

"Books can make you live a thousand lifetimes, a thousand different lives. Books make you immortal." (p. 84
Mackenzie (bookish_black_hole)
I'm really tired and sleep deprived so this review may be all over the place. I LOVED THIS SO MUCH. So much. This is such a great story about the journey of dealing with grief/loss of a loved one. I really felt like it accurately depicted how up and down you feel. I also especially appreciated that the main character, Lottie, dealt with anxiety and the author portrayed it in a very natural light - it makes me feel seen and hopefully it'll help people who experience the same thing to not feel lik ...more
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
I was one of the few people who actually loved Katrina Leno's first book, The Half Life of Molly Pierce and I was so happy when I saw Everything All at Once was getting a lot of positive reviews. I knew I had to read it.

And it didn't disappoint. Leno delivers a moving story about extremely caring and lovely family, their grief over loosing one of their members and mental illness. You could feel the love they share for each other. I wanted to be a part of their dynamic.

I was surprised with the
Catherine Tinker
This sounds exactly like my sort of thing. I need it so bad.

10/12/16: WE HAVE A COVER https://www.facebook.com/katrinalenob...

7/10/2017:
I received an ARC in the mail today and now, five hours later, have finished it.

It's going to take a while to find all the right words for what this book means to me. For now, I'll simply say that this is one of those books I wish I'd written.
Suaad (I just want a cat)
I'm a bit conflicted with this book

Up until page 300, I was more interested in the little Alvin Hatter snippets than the actual story that I went into a hunt to look for a similar middle grade book (If you know one other than HP, please let me know). The story and characters were so memorable that even after weeks of not reading it, I can pick it up again and continue reading without messing a beat which is something that rarely happens

But the twist....OH THE TWIST made it a 4 star book along wi
Mili
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-the-book
Everything all at once was a swift and emotional read! 5 stars.

Katrina Leno so far for me reads very comfortable and has great simple yet magical and emotionally loaded story telling. I was flying through this book but it definitely kept bruising me with emotions. Lottie the MC has anxiety and she just lost her aunt to cancer. The family is very close and they are grieving in their own ways. We experience how Lottie's anxiety takes shape and the way her thinking pattern spirals and becomes irrat
Molly
I HAVE SO MANY EMOTIONS RIGHT NOW.

This book was so amazing and hit me so close to home. Much like Lottie, I was close to my grandmother the same way she was with her aunt. All of her emotions and grief I felt deeply while reading this and there were parts that really gut punched me at the most random times.

This book made me cry. I rarely cry over books and I choked up quite a few times and kinda lost it at the end. SO MANY EMOTIONS.

The characters were all so wonderful. I really love the way tha

• Deacon Locke Went to Prom