Start by marking “Everything All at Once” as Want to Read:
Everything All at Once

Everything All at Once

Lottie Reeves has always struggled with anxiety, and when her beloved Aunt Helen dies, Lottie begins to fear that her own unexpected death might be waiting around every corner.

Aunt Helen wasn’t a typical aunt. She was the author of the best–selling Alvin Hatter series, about siblings who discover the elixir of immortality. Her writing inspired a generation of readers.

In h
Published July 25th 2017 by HarperCollins Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Everything All at Once, please sign up.
Katrina Leno I've just gone and double checked. The 'f' word is used exactly once. Other lesser swears (in particular, sh*t), are used very minimally. I counted…moreI've just gone and double checked. The 'f' word is used exactly once. Other lesser swears (in particular, sh*t), are used very minimally. I counted about 15 instances in the entire book. Nothing worse than those. No sexual content; no violence. I'd say it's definitely suitable for younger teens :) Keep in mind, it does deal with the subject of loss but it is in a very realistic, and not sensationalistic, way. Hope this helps!(less)
Lord of Shadows by Cassandra ClareKing's Cage by Victoria AveyardCarve the Mark by Veronica RothCaraval by Stephanie GarberFlame in the Mist by Renée Ahdieh
YA Novels of 2017
1,088 books — 8,381 voters
Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny HanThe Hate U Give by Angie ThomasThe Upside of Unrequited by Becky AlbertalliBy Your Side by Kasie WestOne of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus
2017 YA contemporary
205 books — 587 voters

More lists with this book...

emma
ok so maybe i forgot this book entirely but i DIDN'T forget to post this review. nailed it. find it here: https://emmareadstoomuch.wordpress.co...

---

I am truly between a rock and a hard place here.

In September, I read this book. I loved it so much that I gave it five stars, which I straight up never do.

Now, it is January. It is well past write-this-review o'clock. But there is a Problem.

I do not remember this book at all.

I know. I KNOW! There is no way on god's great green earth that a five-star
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this SO MUCH. So very, very much. However.... there is a romance-y part of this book (the ending, so I can’t give specific details) that I didn’t really like, so keep that in mind. It clearly didn’t affect my overall rating or enjoyment of the book as a whole, but it’s definitely a thing that I can’t pretend didn’t happen. This is still one of my absolute favorite books of the year and I’m still very much obsessed with Katrina Leno, but, yeah. Lol

(If you’re curious as to what I’m talking
C.G. Drews
Oh this book was a special little pocket of goodness. It perfectly combines contemporary with a smidge of magical realism that just pleases my heart greatly because MAGIC. I love magic!! And this one kind of sneaks up on you, because it's first and foremostly about dealing with grief, anxiety disorders, epic families, slightly mysterious boys, and a whole lot of ice cream. As books should be. Honestly if a book doesn't have ice cream, what's the point of its face. I ASK YOU.

THINGS I LOVED SO MUC
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
About: Everything All At Once is a young adult fiction written by Katrina Leno. It will be published on 7/25/17 by HarperTeen, an imprint of HarperCollins, 368 pages. The genres are young adult, contemporary, mental illness, and fiction.

My Experience: I started reading Everything All At Once on 7/12/17 and finished it on 7/15/17. This book is really a great read! There were many valid questions that makes me think about life and death. I love the characters and plot. I love the letters Aunt Hele
Heather
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-contemporary
I expected more from this honestly. I enjoyed the message & the fact that her aunt was a bestselling middle grade author but I wanted a little more depth.

“I know Aunt Helen is the one who died, but now it kind of feels like I’m next.”

This was a YA contemporary story, with a bit of a fantasy twist towards the end.

Lottie was an okay character and I felt sorry for her when she had to try and deal with anxiety and panic attacks. It was also quite sad that her aunt had died so young.

The storyline in this was about Lottie receiving 24 letters from her aunt af
Katrina Leno
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Wish I could give this 6 stars!!!!!!!! (Have we decided whether it's tacky to rate your own books?)
Crini
Aug 2017: pretty sure someone was cutting onions right next to me the whole time while I was reading the book.

-------

MANY FEELS, NO WORDS TO WRITE A COHERENT REVIEW RN.
Misty
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book.
Lottie's aunt has just passed away and now Lottie and her family are trying to deal with the loss. Aunt Helen was a famous book author. Let's pretend she was like J.K. Rowling, but instead she wrote a children's series about immortality and was the biggest selling author etc etc etc.

Lottie received letters from her aunt after she died. The letters instructed Lottie to take chances and to get out of her comfort zone. The letters also told of a secret Aunt Helen was hid
Maraia
This was all sorts of perfect. I love that Katrina Leno's books are 100% relatable and 0% cheesy. She never "cures" her characters. She lets them grow while still being themselves, and they're always wonderful. This is a very emotional book, and I read it at exactly the right/wrong time, which only made my feelings while reading it that much more intense. Also: A+ for all the book love!
Shari (colourmeread)
I don’t know if you’ve ever had a book call to you, but when I was thinking about what I might want to read next one day, my eyes landed on this book and I knew it was time. Everything All at Once was everything I didn’t know I wanted and needed.

It was funny. It was relatable. And it was vulnerable.

Katrina Leno was able to write Lottie’s story in a way that felt like she was also writing to the reader. It never comes off preachy or pretentious, but always like having an Aunt Helen who’s there to
Sana
Every single thing that happens in Everything All at Once is nothing short of amazing. It was, simultaneously, too late and too early in the week for all the emotions that this book made me feel.

It was so easy, almost effortless, to relate to Lottie. So many little things and big things about life and loss and death and family and siblings and friendship to relate to. ENDLESS LOVE FOR THIS BOOK LIKE HOW IS SUCH PERFECTION EVEN REAL.

Lastly, there are so, so many words just dedicated to books and
Julie Zantopoulos
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it, read-in-2018
I really do adore Katrina's writing but there was something just off about this story that got to me. Like, the big "reveal" came so late and it was so obvious to everyone but the main character. It would have been so much better to explore the story without the "secret" being held for so long. So many interesting discussions could have been had if all information was out in the open for more than the last 20 pages.

However, it was a great look at loss, grief, mental health, and healing. I adore
Kitkat
Oct 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
I was so excited for this book and maybe that's why I'm really disappointed. I just am so angry at the ending that I don't even want to talk about it. I just can't deal with the ending. I wasted my time with this book and I don't say that about every book I read. I was so excited to read it but then it just got ridiculous. The ending is just ridiculous and I can't understand the fantasy being added. It was so good until the author revealed Sam's secret. The characters were too perfect and their ...more
Inge
This book is like a YA version of P.S. I Love You and it was absolutely lovely.
Mehsi
A beautiful book about family, anxiety, friendship, mourning, letting go, and sadly also a magical element.

So this book was, up tot the revelation of the magical element, 5+ stars. I just couldn't, wouldn't, didn't want, to stop reading (sadly, one has to stop at times for sleep or for boyfriends), but you get my drift. Then the magical element was added, and my rating dropped to 5 stars. At this point I am still wondering if I should have this book to be 4.5 instead, and you know what, 4.5 star
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
“Books can make you live a thousand different lifetimes, a thousand different lives. Books can make you immortal.”

Everything At At Once is a beautifully moving story of grief and finding happiness when you feel like there is none left. Following letters from her recently passed aunt, Lottie Reeves grows in courage and boldness in this fun and engaging contemporary with a bonus scavenger hunt feel!

Things I Liked :
Lottie and her family are charming and create a warm atmosphere that easily invit
Antonia

This was literally the weirdest book I have ever read. I was expecting a good contemporary about grieving with a little love-story, and that's what I got. For 300 pages. And then the last 50 started. I have no idea what the author was thinking, it makes zero sense and I'm super confused. Also the anxiety representation is horrible. At one point her love-interest tells her to breathe deeply and sh
Iryna *Book and Sword*

This is a mediocre/good book that had the potential to be great/amazing, but alas, it didn't reach that potential. It's a shame really, because I loved many components of this book, but I didn't love the book as a whole all that much.

Let's start with the good stuff:
- Healthy and heartwarming siblings relationship portrayal.
- Diversity all throughout.
- Anxiety representation.
- And the main topi
Rian *fire and books*
I'm not sure how to rate this book yet.... once I figure it out I'll let y'all know.
Danielle
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I didn't want this book to end, which is fitting for a story with themes of life and life ending and grief and time and choices. It's about how we choose to live with the limited time we have, framed by letters Lottie's late Aunt Helen leaves for her to read and instructions to follow (and a secret she's kept).

(Lots of gems for writers and readers too as the aunt character was a novelist.)

"Books can make you live a thousand lifetimes, a thousand different lives. Books make you immortal." (p. 84
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
I was one of the few people who actually loved Katrina Leno's first book, The Half Life of Molly Pierce and I was so happy when I saw Everything All at Once was getting a lot of positive reviews. I knew I had to read it.

And it didn't disappoint. Leno delivers a moving story about extremely caring and lovely family, their grief over loosing one of their members and mental illness. You could feel the love they share for each other. I wanted to be a part of their dynamic.

I was surprised with the
Catherine Tinker
This sounds exactly like my sort of thing. I need it so bad.

10/12/16: WE HAVE A COVER https://www.facebook.com/katrinalenob...

7/10/2017:
I received an ARC in the mail today and now, five hours later, have finished it.

It's going to take a while to find all the right words for what this book means to me. For now, I'll simply say that this is one of those books I wish I'd written.
Jenny Baker
Wow. This exceeded my expectations. I thought this was just going to be an ordinary YA contemporary novel that would entertain me for a few hours, but nothing more. I wasn’t expecting to connect with it on such a personal level. For me, this was one of those novels that I didn’t know I needed until I read it.

I love it when novels mention books, movies, and music. As soon as finished reading this book, I immediately listened to Jim Croce’s song Time in a Bottle. Once you read this novel, and I h
Suaad (I just want a cat)
I'm a bit conflicted with this book

Up until page 300, I was more interested in the little Alvin Hatter snippets than the actual story that I went into a hunt to look for a similar middle grade book (If you know one other than HP, please let me know). The story and characters were so memorable that even after weeks of not reading it, I can pick it up again and continue reading without messing a beat which is something that rarely happens

But the twist....OH THE TWIST made it a 4 star book along wi
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
*3.5 stars*

I really enjoyed this!
Molly
I HAVE SO MANY EMOTIONS RIGHT NOW.

This book was so amazing and hit me so close to home. Much like Lottie, I was close to my grandmother the same way she was with her aunt. All of her emotions and grief I felt deeply while reading this and there were parts that really gut punched me at the most random times.

This book made me cry. I rarely cry over books and I choked up quite a few times and kinda lost it at the end. SO MANY EMOTIONS.

The characters were all so wonderful. I really love the way tha
Jennika
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jennika by: UppercaseBox
I think this novel started out amazing! I loved the concept. Lottie's aunt, Helen, passes away earlier than most were expecting. I related to Lottie a lot with regards to losing someone you love when you aren't ready. Aunt Helen also happens to be a well known author of a children's fantasy series, which the author has included excerpts of the novels between chapters. I loved this aspect of the novel. I also loved that Aunt Helen planned ahead and wrote Lottie a bunch of letters to read after sh ...more
Laurène Poret
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: what-yes-i-ya
Both deep and surprising, connected really well to the protagonist. Wasn't able to put it down til I finished it at 4am. (and yes I had class in the morning)
R. G. Nairam
Okay, first off: (view spoiler) Not that that really needs to be censored because it becomes painfully obvious at about 35% of the way in.

I liked the idea of this book. In the beginning, I found the combination of the idea plus the sufficiency of the character/authorial voice enough to keep me going. But at about 30-40% I begin to have my suspicions about some things and over 50% it was a bit of a grind I kept at bec
  • The Art of Feeling
  • Love and Other Alien Experiences
  • On the Spectrum
  • Whenever I'm with You
  • Charlotte Cuts it Out
  • The Beast Within (The Hounds of Hell, #1)
  • Salt
  • P is for Pearl
  • Wilfair
  • 100 Days of Cake
  • The Things I Didn't Say
  • Aftercare Instructions
“The moment I started reading, I was no longer in my bedroom, no longer sad, no longer even myself.” 4 likes
“Buy yourself some books, Lottie. They help with everything. Books can make you live a thousand lifetimes, a thousand different lives. Books make you immortal.” 4 likes