Start by marking “Kestrel's Talon (The Stonewatchers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Kestrel's Talon (The Stonewatchers, #1)

Read Book

Kestrel's Talon

(The Stonewatchers #1)

Novel (135,031 words)
Genre(s): Fantasy, Triad, LGBT+/GSM

Following the Prentish/Nemarri war, Kes is rejected by his homeland under the guise of religious purity laws. Though he's spared execution, the proud Nemarri's fate is only marginally more merciful than death when he is sold into sexual slavery at a prosperous pleasure house.

Despite his stoic endurance, Kes knows he’s
Published May 23rd 2016

To ask other readers questions about Kestrel's Talon, please sign up.
Bey Deckard Thank you!
Thank you!
My *intention* is to get it out within the year, but that all depends on how far I get with my other projects. This is where I wish I could clone myself to get more done :)(less)

SheReadsALot
A Tag-Team Review with Cupcake!

4 Hearts--
Bey Deckard's, Kestrel's Talon (The Stonewatchers, #1), is a fantasy based romance that stars a triad that find themselves themselves and try to heal along a twisted path. In this fictional world, there are slaves, civil unrest among those who are slaves and freemen alike, telepaths, religion/mythology, lost cultures and a QUILTBAG cast of characters.

If I had known what all was going to be introduced *cough*namely psychics*cough*, I'd...probably not
Bey Deckard
Feb 03, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition

A Quiet Moment - Art by Catherine Dair

What to say about this book? Hmm. Well... I like writing triads. I really do. And I love these characters dearly... especially the one not mentioned in the title (you'll see). It's not particularly dark... at least I don't think so. It's mostly a story about trust and hope and healing.

It was going to be a standalone, but as I was writing it, I realized that it would take more than one book to tell the whole story. So this is the beginning... and I think it'
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
BR w/Baby!

I hate to do this, I really do especially after having been so vocal with my excite for this book. I’ve ardently gushed and fawned over BeyBey’s writes since reading Caged, but this wasn’t a win for me. I’ll get to what didn’t work for me, but first let’s start with what did.

Kestrel’s Talon is another high fantasy with superb worldbuilding. It’s told from multiple perspectives non-linearly. The skill and creativity required to construct a unique world with this scrupulous attention to
Lori
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.75
I have every intention of coming back and writing a proper review soon... in case I don't though, just know I LOVED this book. Fantasy is a fave genre of mine and this book hit all the right spots for me.
Donna
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this first book in the Stonewalkers series! Grimma, Talon and Kes were wonderful and their love for each other is very sweet and works great for each of them. Hessa and Ghost were very interesting secondary characters and the world building was very well written. I can't wait to see what happens with everyone in the next book of this series.
Cadiva
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Exceptional world building in this fantasy romance

I loved the amazing world and cultures which Bey created in this fantasy romance and the relationship development between Kes, Talon and Grimm.

There's a lot of story going on, a bit of an adventure, a bit of magic, a little bit of kink, a lot of emotions and a hint of mystery. I loved the unique voices of each man and the different emotional connection they brought to their triad

The setting and secondary characters also brought depth and flavour
Arch Bala
Kestrel’s a soldier sold into slavery after his own country did not buy his freedom back because he was defiled during his time as a war prisoner. Abused and dehumanized as a pleasure slave, Kestrel didn’t think that he could still escape his agonizing existence until he found himself being sold – yet again – to a fellow slave named Talon and its master, Count Strade.

I didn’t think that I’d enjoy this book immensely given that this was my first book from the author and it is 400-pages plus long.
Bookishcat
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, menage-hea, fantasy
I have loved everything I have ever read by this author but this book really took the cake. The characters are so complex that you can help but connect to them. One thing I truly appreciate about this author's book is that the side characters are so well drawn as well. They aren't cardboard one dimensional plot devices. Also I cannot express how much I appreciate this author making strong likable female characters!!! One pet peeve that I see in m/m romances is that female characters are either m ...more
Zuzu
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this! Bey's imagination is amazing. I liked the three main characters and find their evolving relationship(s) interesting. And while I enjoyed the Baal's Heart series, I'm thoroughly enjoying these kinder, gentler characters. I'm looking forward to the next installment - just glad there wasn't a "real" cliffhanger!
1st read - 5/31/16
2nd read - 8/14/16
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bgirls, mm, ebook, fantasy, dmc

4.5 star review by The Blogger Girls.

Leave it to Mr. Deckard to provide another fabulous fantasy to love, in addition to another unique threesome. This is the story of Kestrel, or Kes, a soldier who ended up captured and put into sexual slavery, though he has a history of having trouble submitting to his plight.

Kestrel’s luck finally changes when he ends up being purchased by a count and his slave, Talon, the dynamics of which really throw Kes off. Things are quite different than Kes was expecti
Riina Y.T.
I did it. I gave in and finished it... << crushed that it's over. For now.
This was... Kes... Talon... Grim... Shit. *shakes head* Wow.
ONE OF THE BEST DAMN THINGS. EVER. #foreverfavorites.

Thank you, Bey, for a magical and most beautiful (love)story, for creating those wonderful, amazing guys and sharing them with us. Also, for giving us more of them in the future. *squeee*

Gosh, your mind is a fucking beautiful thing.
xx

Pianka *call me PIU*
May 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, m-m
K
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Bey Deckard captures his audience once again with this fantasy tale of Kestrel’s Talon. The world-building itself is mind-boggling and will take you on a journey that is sure to hold your attention from start to finish. There are three main characters that make up the story, Kestrel, aka Kes, a soldier sold into slavery, Talon, who was born into slavery, and Count Strade, aka Grimma the Great and owner of Talon.
•••
The story opens with Kes standing in the marketplace being ogled by dirty old men
Tully Vincent
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: slaves
Excellent world-building, from the history, to the land (even with maps in the back), to the people, traditions, and clothing--detailed, fleshed out, and very vivid. We have slaves and magic, soldiers and war, and so much more. The story grabbed me in the beginning scene in a market where even people (slaves) are traded. The three main characters, all introduced in the same scene, were intriguing, and I was eager for the ride.

All three characters are nuanced and interesting. I enjoyed
Harper Miller
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I won an ARC copy of this story and boy was I delighted since I absolutely adore Bey's writing. Fans of high-fantasy will LOVE this story. I'm always in awe of BD's creativity. The world building alone is worthy of four stars. Took me entirely too long to finish this due to me working on my own projects, but this was a pretty cool story. I waxed and waned with my like for Kestrel, but Talon was quite the cheeky character. I was thoroughly entertained.
Toni FGMAMTC
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, fantasy, m-m-m

Kestrel's Talon has a historical fantasy, epic tale feel. Inside is a wholly developed world with separate peoples, laws, gods, mythologies and histories. There are castles, magic, slaves and mysteries. It's full of unique characters with differences in background, social status, physical stature, sexual identification and so on.

The story begins with Kes. He's a slave at a pleasure house. For a captured soldier, this is a very tough pill to swallow. One day from a
Lisa The Novel Approach
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantasy meets fairy tale meets the supernatural meets erotic romance in Bey Deckard’s Kestrel’s Talon, once again proving this author’s talent for translating his imagination into wondrous storytelling and the drawing of deeply charming and unique characters.

Centering around the aftermath of a war in this stunning and diverse world is the subject of slavery and, for Kestrel, represents his deconstruction as human chattel. He has been beaten, dehumanized, bartered, and betrayed by the country he’
Daniel Mitton
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
(Originally reviewed for Love Bytes Reviews with a copy provided by the publisher / author for an honest review.)

I’ll be honest. When I picked this book up I thought it was supposed to be a standalone. I’m not sure I would have chosen it based on it being the first in what will probably be a trilogy according to a note from the author on Goodreads. I have nothing against trilogies or series, but I kind of made a vow to myself awhile back to only read series or trilogies when they are 100% comple
arfic (iro)
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am a huge fantasy fan and despite having only read Bey Deckard's contemporary works (this is going to change ASAP!) I had my hopes up starting Kestrel's Talon. I wasn't disappointed! If you think that you know what to expect from a slave fic involving a triad like I did, you are in for a big surprise.

It's hard to talk about the plot beyond what is mentioned in the blurb without giving any spoilers. In fact, as a reader, I was ultimately glad the blurb gave so little away since it left me as mu
Joyfully Jay
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

5 stars

Fantasy is not the genre I gravitate to first, but Bey Deckard is the only author that can have me looking forward to a book in any category. If you have any interest in reading this book, you really don’t want to know one more thing about it as every word in the story is another piece of the puzzle, no matter how insignificant it may seem. That is generally the theme with Deckard’s writing, that it is best to experience it fresh, but I will attempt to entice you fu
~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~
★★★★☆ ~ 4 Stars
I borrowed this through the Prime Kindle Owners Library and I want my own copy since this is the first of the series. Wasn't quite sure what to expect, I've really enjoyed the Baal's Heart series https://www.goodreads.com/series/1273... and F.I.S.T.S. series https://www.goodreads.com/series/1391... from this author so I knew it would be sexy and interesting.

I wasn't disappointed. Grim is an Ace character which we're starting to see more of in books and kudos to the author that ev
Paul
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and I can't wait for the sequel
Mercedes
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Looking forward to the rest of the story!
Tina

Wow! What an amazing story, loved it!

A more detailed review might come later.

Highly recommended!
Theresa
Dec 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
DNF. The only MC I liked was Grim.
Diverse
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: may-2016-reads
What a story. This story is full of enchantment, mystery, magic, love, and vengeance. There’s tiers to this tale. I’m struggling with where to begin lol.

It’s set on a time that never existed. A Realm. We are in this Realms present time but to tell this story properly and with little confusion, stories are told within. In those stories we go back in time. It’s done in a way that it isn’t so much flash backs (which are annoying) it’s literally like story time. Listening to tales of a time that on
JJ
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic erotic fantasy! As a lover of fantasy and m/m erotica, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. The story begins when the master of the gorgeous redhead slave, Talon, purchases the pleasure slave, Kes, for him. Though Kes is drawn to Talon from first sight, he is wary about the situation. It’s unheard of for a slave to own another slave, but Talon is a rare beauty that he could never refuse. When Kes arrives at their castle, he begins to learn all the mysteries behind Talon and his mast ...more
R.S.T.
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved that this was over 400 pages long. and am happy that this is part of a series. Looking forward to the next installment. I absolutely love Grim's character. Bey Deckard did a great job with this one ~!
SammiSue
Definitely not a 'quickie read'

This book took me longer than normal to read, because there is so much jam packed into every paragraph. I guess I speed read thru books more than I realized. I eventually had to lock my screen and use a bookmark to read line by line to stop my wondering eyes lol.

The world building was easy for me to understand, and very enjoyable. The relationship between the main characters is atypical, but unfolded naturally.

Also, this book helped me in my understanding of asexua
B.A. Brock
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, qsf, fantasy, gay-mm, ace-aro, poly
Deckard is one of those authors I pick up when I want a guaranteed good reading experience, and this novel was no exception. There are many great things to say about this book, but I’d like to focus on the author’s syntax, worldbuilding, and the use of LGBTQ+ characters in the novel.

One of the things that has always impressed me about Deckard, even with his first novel, was his use of diction. His words are often stark but full of imagery, and while this novel was a bit more verbose and flowery
« previous 1 3 next »

• Betrayed (Bound Gods, #3)
  • Pride (The Copper Horse, #2)
  • Stealing Innocents
  • At His Throat, A Promise
  • Brit Boys: On Boys
  • A King's Ransom
  • Bloodline (Norwood #2)
  • Soulseeker
  • Prince of Faith (An Uncommon Whore, #3)
  • Horatio Slice: Guitar Slayer of the Universe
  • The Slave (Free Men, #1)
  • Cinder (Blood Nation, #2)
  • Chronic Carnalli Complex (Carnalli Brothers, #2)
  • Her Grace's Stable (A Jane Austen Space Opera #3)
  • High Contrast (Evolution Ink, #1)
  • The Red King
  • By Any Other Name (By Any Other Name #1)
  • The Arroyo
Artist, Writer, Dog Lover

Bey Deckard is the author of a number of novels including the Baal’s Heart books, Max, Beauty and His Beast, and Better the Devil You Know.

Bey lives in Montréal, Canada where he spends most of his time in the company of a handsome mutt named Murphy. When Bey’s not writing, he’s doing graphic work, painting portraits, speaking French, cooking tasty vegetarian eats, or watc