Start by marking “How to Be Single” as Want to Read:
How to Be Single

How to Be Single

3.21  ·  Rating details ·  6,632 Ratings  ·  871 Reviews
Soon to be a major motion picture starring Dakota Johnson, Rebel Wilson, Alison Brie, Leslie Mann, and Damon Wayans Jr.!

From the coauthor of He’s Just Not That Into You and a former story editor for Sex and the City, How to Be Single is about one woman’s attempts to navigate a world filled with ever-evolving definitions of love.

Julie Jenson is a single thirty-seven-year-ol
Paperback, Movie tie in, 404 pages
Published February 1st 2016 by Simon and Schuster Au (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about How to Be Single, please sign up.

Lala BooksandLala
This was a directionless novel about a group of unapologetically self obsessed 38 year old single women. I was expecting something different - maybe inspiring, about forging your own path and not relying on relationships to bring you joy. It could have been that. Or it could have been funny. It could have been romantic. It could have been smart. It could have been fun. It could have been educational. Unfortunately it was an annoying bore, full of clichés and stereotypes and I failed to see any p ...more
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at:  http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

I read this several years back during one of the infamous "Winter Reading Challenges" in order to score a free coffee mug, but ended up kind of ripping all of the library's suggestions to shreds (including another by this author) so I never posted a review (you don't insult the people who help supply your addiction, after all).  This past week my social media has become the Land of All Things Beauty and the Beast and I (once again) st
Sim
Jan 22, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't quite figure out whether I want to give the book two stars or three. On one hand, each character - filled with pathos and false bravado, reminded me of well... me. And all my female friends. On the other hand, it felt ridiculous and contrived (which naturally upsets me). And at the end of reading the book, I'm torn about whether or not I liked the book.

This was an essay disguised as a novel,and reads like a non-fiction, which works for the book. I didn't hate the book - it flows well en
Emily
Oct 19, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Only the first 20 pages of this book were smart. The rest was offensive. The international stereotypes were so obvious it was insulting. Really, Liz? The Chinese girl who laughs and laughs? The Indians who "bobble" their heads? The strong nordic women? I was shocked to discover she did ACTUAL research for this novel, stemming from ACTUAL travel to the countries mentioned. If someone had asked me, I would have said that the only research she did for this book was to go to Disneyworld, take a ride ...more
Lives with Books
Feb 06, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so depressing.

It made me feel like "I need to get married" and at the same time, "It will never happen because all men are bastards."

It should have been called, "Accept You're Single Now Because Noone Will Ever Want You."

Mary
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fair warning: unless you are a single woman in her mid to late 30's, you may find this book trite and possibly annoying. However, should you fall within the target demographic, read on. I did...twice! Tuccillo co-wrote "He's Just not that Into You," which should give you some indication of the combo insight and humor awaiting you here.

What I loved here, and made me laugh over and over, is how nutty we get at a certain age when we haven't married. Yes, I know that married folk have their own ide
Melanie
Aug 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is Sex and the City meets Eat, Pray, Love is the best way to describe this book. You have 5 women focused around the central character, Julie. Julie works for a publisher and is off to write a book about being single across the world after a humiliating night out. Her friends that barely know each other in the beginning become her Sex and the City girls.

Alice is a Legal Aid Attorney who quits her job for a new career in dating. She meets a wonderful guy and is tired of dating - will sh
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Maybe because I have never really been single, I just found this trite. From the perspective of being married, I want to tell these thirty something women to grow up and get over the princess in waiting attitude. I feel like most of the women have completely unrealitic expectations of what love and commitment are. Really if the reason Julie can't get a guy is because she is only a size 6 and has celluite - then how does that explain the hordes of happily coupled/married size 12 and up women?
Juli
Syndi
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nope this book is not for me. I am single. I found this book is offensive on judging singletons. Nope sorry.
Rachel
Feb 04, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I know this book was intended as chic lit fiction; but the ethnocentrism in the book was derailing for me. The main character Julie epitomizes the ugly American abroad.

In Australia she writes: “Like an aborigine with a bottle of Wild Turkey, Georgia spiraled out of control.” and “Her name was Fiona Crenshaw from Tasmania (a small island off the coast of southern Australia).”

Then in China she writes: “In Beijing, as I soon found out, they enjoy “squatter” toilets. Even in some upscale establishm
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Juli
Julia
May 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh god, how many more books can I read about 30-something single women who live in New York before I want to shoot myself? There's a quote on the back from Plum Sykes (Vogue airhead and faux-writer) that reads, "A fun read that reminds single girls everywhere that it's fabulous to be single." I don't think that Plum Sykes actually read this book. How to Be Single reminds us that being single is miserable--you'll get dumped, ditched, or treated like dirty; the love of your life will be screwing a ...more
Selene Matheson
I just took this book out from the library and got three chapters in and realized I'd already read this book.
Kelly
May 17, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vapid people.
I've been waiting for this book to appear so I could review it. Okay, I read the whole thing, but if you know me, you know that once I start, I rarely stop, so the fact that I finished a book does not suggest that you should, and, in fact, I advise that you avoid this book altogether. First of all, did no one edit this book? She gets away with sentence fragments. No, I'm not talking about artfully used, I'm-breaking-the-rules-because-I've-mastered-them sentence fragments, I mean just flat out fr ...more
April
Jun 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an awesome, fun, inspiring read. It's about a 38-year old woman Julie. She's single. She has 4 single friends, and she decides to travel the world to write a book about single women in different countries. Among the places she visits are Rome, Ireland, India. In each country she meets all kinds of women, and in each country, women have a different take on being single. The author actually did do the research - her information in the fiction book was real. And I found it fascinating.

I l
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
I've read through the various reviews for this book just now and really, unless you're in your late 30's/40's, single and trying to date in NYC (or anywhere really), you probably don't like this book, or find it unrealistic or trite. Me, being the person described above, LOVED it. I found a bit of myself in each character. I didn't find them deplorable or desperate. I found them to be real. I think most women have found themselves in the psycho, desperate, woe-is-me, why can't I find love and wh ...more
Carina Carvalho
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Um livro bem disposto, muito ao estilo do "sexo e a cidade". Acompanhamos as peripécias e dramas da vida de 5 mulheres solteiras e a viagem de uma por muitos países do mundo onde ficamos a conhecer os costumes das mulheres solteiras.
J.H. Moncrieff
So happy to finish this book. If ever a novel deserved to go flying across the room into a bonfire, it was this one. But I'll give it two stars for the fact that I finished it, and it somehow managed to avoid the stereotypical "Prince Charming arrives in the third act" ending.

I am tired, frustrated, and furious with these books that appear like they're girl-power, single-woman anthems, and then spend hundreds of pages reinforcing the old saw that a woman is nothing without a man. The protagonist
Colleen
2 Stars

I read this months ago but have been procrastinating about writing my review.

The short version is that How to Be Single was disappointing, uninspiring, and frankly quite depressing. The characters were obnoxious. There was not much of a plot. And it read like a twisted self-help book secretly designed to drive single women to the edge of despair and despondency.

The flimsy plot is that the main character, Julie, decides to write a book about how women in different cultures handle being s
Helen
Jul 24, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book had great potential, and many great moments, but doesn’t deliver in the end. After a night out with her four single girlfriends, Julie decides to travel the globe interviewing single women for a book about dating in different cultures.

It’s a great premise, except that Julie gets air sick every time she flies and is too shy to talk to strangers on her own. Fortunately, one of her friends is able to fly across the world to each country she visits to hold her hand. And in every country s
Mya
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charlese
Made me think a lot about my single life and how many cats I will end up having by the time I'm 38.
Kathy
So, where do I start...
Well, first off, the title of the book is so contradictory to what it is actually about. The title should be: “How NOT to be single”.

I am disappointed in this book because personally becoming recently single after being in a serious long term relationship I was hoping to read a book that gives you advice and insight into how to be okay being single. Not that I need it, but that’s what I assumed the book would be about, given the title.

The overall feeling I got from the bo
Deanna
Apr 08, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
ok so I'm only halfway through this book, and plan on finishing it so this review is pre-emptive. I will finish it in the hopes that Julie, the main character, will have some sort of revelation and stop being so irritating, but I won't hold my breath. I am writing the review now because I need to vent. I hate this book. And I take the word hate pretty seriously. It makes it seem like women are nothing without a man - over and over and over again. "Why didn't he call - it must have been the cellu ...more
Tina
Jan 28, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, chick-lit, romance
If there was a book that the last page literally saved, it was this one. And not only because it was ending.

I wanted to like this book, really, because I thought it was fun. But I didn't have fun with it, and it didn't teach me anything that I didn't know already. I don't know if women really become *that* desperate when they reach a certain age and they are still single, and I really would rather not believe so. I wanted to smack all the characters silly for being so...well, pathetic.

But I'm g
Linda Doyle
The title of this book could be How Not to Be Single or Desperate Daters. Either title would have been more appropriate. The author tries to counterbalance the depressing stories of these single women with humor, but there is not enough hilarity to tip the scales in a positive direction. Instead of laughing, I cringed. These women, all described as beautiful and intelligent, commit incredibly stupid acts in their desperate searches for Mr. Right. Also, the main character travels around the world ...more
Nicole
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction
The movie is not even remotely based off this book, it was the inspiration for a movie. Please do not go in to reading this book expecting the movie or vice versa.

I will say that this book took me a long time to get into and simply left me wondering why I kept reading it. The characters are supposedly 38 and mostly single, but they act like they are 25. It was hard to remember their actual ages as they were written and read younger. This is not a feel good book about "being single" and it kind
Shanae
Jan 20, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As a smug coupled person, I can read this and find it slightly humorous. But if I were single this would make me manic with depression. Overall, a directionsless book that wandered and never landed. Incredibly self centered and moody. No grand "point" or revelation, and left a reader (moi) with no idea how a book so vague could be published. Truly not worth the read.

"One hundred percent of all humans need hope to get by. And if any statistic takes that away from you, it's not worth knowing."

"Ne
Amanda
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is Sex in the City meets Eat Pray Love with entirely too many convenient moments. Overly convenient moments can be annoying. (But as someone who writes, I totally get that convenience can help speed things along.)

That said, I do think it covered the many thoughts that go through a single girl's mind -- positive and negative. And it is interesting to think about it from different cultural perspectives.
Madeline
Jan 23, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't have enough venom to write the review this piece of crap truly deserves.

I was hoping for a light, fun read, and what I got was an anti-feminist, poorly written, embarrassing example of a book.

The author should be ashamed of herself as an author, as a woman. This was filled with blatant stereotypes, cliches, and insults. The fact this woman did actual research for this novel disgusts and offends me.

Leave this one unread, for your brain, for your respect as a woman.
The Book Was Better: HOW TO BE SINGLE 2 27 Mar 31, 2017 09:49PM
Contemporary YA: How to Be Single Book vs. Movie 8 21 Jun 20, 2016 09:08AM
Around the Year i...: How to Be Single, by Liz Tuccillo 1 18 Feb 29, 2016 07:37AM
  • Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates: And a Thousand Cocktails
  • Girls' Poker Night
  • Catching Alice
  • Names My Sisters Call Me
  • The Smart One and the Pretty One
  • What Do You Do All Day?
  • Girl Most Likely to
  • The Debutante
  • Fifteen Minutes of Shame
  • The Ex-Debutante
  • Smart Vs. Pretty
  • Whacked
  • Love @ First Site
  • An Ideal Wife (Jessica Wild, #3)
  • How To Be Cool
  • Confessions of a Rebel Debutante
  • The Art of the Cookie: Baking Up Inspiration by the Dozen
  • Time Enough for Love
Liz Tuccillo is an American writer and actress best known for her work on the HBO comedy series Sex and the City and for co-authoring (with Greg Behrendt) the self-help book He's Just Not That Into You. Her first novel, How to Be Single, was published in June 2008.

[source]

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
    $14.99 $2.99
  • Bachelor Girl
  • The Wednesday Sisters
“I think we are going to have to love ourselves. Fuck.” 65 likes
“Now the uncle spoke up. 'This cannot be,' he said. 'The human being is designed for many things. Loneliness is not one of them.' ... Mrs. Ramani leaned into me, and said, as a statement of fact. 'We are not meant to go through this life alone.” 6 likes