Start by marking “Het smelt” as Want to Read:
Het smelt

Het smelt

An alternate cover edition can be found here.

Wat als je wraak kunt nemen op een heel dorp?

Dertien jaar na een zomer die volledig uit de hand liep, keert Eva terug naar haar geboortedorp met een blok ijs in de kofferbak. Gaandeweg wordt duidelijk dat zij dit keer de plannen bepaalt.

In haar geboortejaar werden slechts twee andere kinderen geboren in het kleine Vlaamse Bovenm
Paperback, 1e ed., 480 pages
Published November 2015 by Das Mag

To ask other readers questions about Het smelt, please sign up.
Jelle De Loecker Lize Spit announced today that the rights for the English translation have been sold, so an English version is coming.

Start your review of Het smelt
Marc
“I look out the window at the yard. All that looking. It has never changed anything”
This debut novel (in English 'The Melting') caused quite a stirr in the Dutch language area in 2016. The then barely 27-year-old Spit became a hype and the book was praised all around. I always become a little suspicious then, and I only read such a book with delay. But I have to admit this is quite impressive for a starting author.

The ingenious composition of the book in particular is cleverly done, with two tim
Meike
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: belgium, 2017-read
Currently being translated into English under the title "The Melting" (Macmillan)

This book has created quite a stir: Flemish novelist Lize Spit has sold more than 100,000 copies of her debut novel in its original Dutch version (which, for a Belgian book, is an insane number), the movie rights were sold three days after initial publication, and translation rights are also highly requested. 29-year-old Spit is supposed to be the new, fresh and edgy voice of Belgium, and as someone who regularly en
Eva
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, fiction, belgië
ENGLISH BELOW - it seems this will be translated
Het is een koude winterdag, de enige van deze winter. Eva de Wolf rijdt naar haar geboorteplaats, het Vlaamse Bovenmeer, met in haar achterbak een enorm blok ijs. Het is voor het eerst sinds jaren dat ze terug gaat. Ze gaat omdat ze is uitgenodigd voor de herdenking van Jan, die op deze dag 30 jaar oud zou zijn geworden. Maar Jan, de broer van haar jeugdvriend Pim, stierf toen hij 17 was.

De sfeer is grimmig, van meet af aan. Grimmig, sober, met ee
Tom
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: belgium, women, fiction, dutch
I guess I understand why this books resonates so strongly with a lot of Flemish people. Lize Spit's Bovenmeer is in many ways a very familiar town, where butchers hand cheap slices of meat to children, where people still call Twix bars Raiders and where house equipment comes from the ALDI around the corner. Add to that a a rather gruesome and shocking plot, and you have a literary mix with great hype potential.

Sadly, I can't say that it really did the trick for me. Although Spit is admittedly v
Kris
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4 stars for style, humor and overall great and intelligent writing.. an extra star for the subject matter... nobody can ever overestimate how the events in your childhood can influence the rest of your life
LauraT
Feb 13, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Particularly bad book. Morbid descriptions of the doings of a group of kids - pre-adolescent? - ending in a mass rape among them. Is that the reality in Holland and Belgium? Hope no.
And if she's the hope and promise of Flemish Literature, poor them!
Kurt
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review on This Is How We Read: http://thisishowweread.be/het-smelt/
Braekeveldt
May 01, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
While Lize uses words in a refreshing way the story is childish and regretfully so.
PJ Mblt
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-reread
Very intense pageturner. The whole build-up is superb, and the references to typical Flemish customs were delightful.

Update: decided to bump this to 4.5* on Goodreads (but rounded it up). It's still stuck in my head, a lot of Spit's small anecdotes stay with me, and the way she constructed everything to blend together in a beautiful end chapter was just breathtaking in hindsight. The characters and plot in this book will stay with me for a long time, and it deserves the hype! The best plot dri
Laurent Franckx
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WTF??????
Marjolein

Recensie volgt/review to come!
Booklovinglady
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had no idea what to expect when I bought the book, all I knew about it is what I read on GR and as my instinct told me it was worth reading, I did. And it is good. Very, very good. I’m not one to go for a media hype, as I don’t pay attention to what the media say about a book, but it turned out this time they were absolutely right...

Lize Spit is a Flemish poet and scenario writer; Het smelt is her first novel and it is definitely worth a read. The story alternates between the present and the p
Charlotte (Charlisabeths Nivis Pluma)
Vic Van
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At last a new and young Flemish author who has lived up to the expectations, created by the press and by the raving reviews that I kept reading.

I read the final chapters last night and was left speechless. For two reasons, the first being the rather shocking final and the second: the fact that not once, for all of 478 pages did the story lose its appeal.
The writer manages to retain the thrilling, sometimes icy atmosphere that is created at the beginning of the book until the very end. The variou
Puck Smink
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was a really good book.
Grada (BoekenTrol)
I find it a bit difficult to describe what I think of this book.
I read it till the end, so it wasn't very bad & I didn't mind reading it. But ... Always the 'but' afterwards...

I was not particularly impressed either. The back and forth between past and present in the book I grew to dislike the more chapters I read. I don't quite understand how the end of the book is a punishment for the people in the village. Everyone went on with their lives, the main character mainly punishes herselfimho. She
Froukje
3,5*

It made me very uncomfortable, but it’s written well.
Lien
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un-put down-able. Harsh and scorchingly gut-wrenching
Myrthe
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really cool with the chapters switching from the past to the present
Sanne Blomme
Jun 03, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama, novel, psychology
I feel uncomfortable after reading this book...
Also it's long and boring...
Pvw
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: relatonships
Lotte
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: dutch
Het smelt starts of as a description of small-town life in the nineties, which Spit emphasises by scattering around references to popular items (tattoo bracelets anyone?) and brand names. Did ALDI sponsor this book? The bucolic village soon stops keeping up appearances and we are dragged along by a series of inappropriate behaviour and cases of pscyhological problems.

Like we haven't seen that before. As if De Helaasheid der Dingen, Kartonnen Dozen, De Kapellekensbaan, most Flemish films weren't
Manon Bijkerk
Jothi
Apr 17, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Since I had heard so many good things about this book, I absolutely wanted to read it.

In the beginning it was a bit fascinating, but eventually it became boring, childish and too slow. I lost the focus on the story because of all the needless details.

I really tried to struggle through it "I'll give it another chance," but no, nothing for me. It almost became a challenge rather than a pleasure to finish reading this book, which is why I eventually put it aside and didn't finish it (got to page 34
Marjolein
Jul 28, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
stopped reading at page 61 :(
Viktoria
disturbing, yet heartbreaking

DIEGO KEVIN
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The thaw -exact Spanish translation from The Melting-is a novel written by the Belgium writer Lize Spit that narrates the childhood of Eva Wolf, who is a teenager living in a small Belgium village. She and her two friends, Pim and Laurens, are the only thirteen-year-old children in the village, therefore they are close friends. However, as they grow older, Pim and Laurens become closer to each other than to Eva. One last attempt to get closer to them will define Eva’s life.

The story is narrated
Tobias Zielinski
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I discovered the novel because of it's cover design. The package has lived up to my expectations story-wise. "A book, that requiers everything from it's reader" was said in one printed review on the back of this novel. In certain phases of this story around Eva and her family touches you as a reader too close, it won't keep it's distance. This novel is a splendid parable for the dark side of the human condition... Of failing, and the abysses, which we carry in ourselves. And what these holes in ...more
Hanne Lise De Paepe
« previous 1 3 next »
ACV Plus 1 5 Dec 08, 2019 09:37PM
Netherlands & Fla...: Ended - Group Read #36 : Het smelt by Lize Spit 21 115 Apr 21, 2017 05:22AM
Goodreads Librari...: delete or merge edition please 7 39 Mar 28, 2016 08:00AM

• Vele hemels boven de zevende
  • Kom hier dat ik u kus
  • Het wordt spectaculair. Beloofd.
  • De helaasheid der dingen
  • Woesten
  • Sprakeloos
  • Tirza
  • Drift
  • Post voor mevrouw Bromley
  • Het moois dat we delen
  • Cécile