Start by marking “Learning to Ride (Sunnybell #1)” as Want to Read:
Learning to Ride (Sunnybell #1)

Learning to Ride

(Sunnybell #1)

She never wanted to love a cowboy. . . .

Rodeo king Tanner Callen doesn't want to be tied down. When he sees Madeline Harper at a local honky-tonk and everything about her screams New York, he brings out every trick in his playbook to take her home. But soon he learns that he doesn't just want her for a night and, instead, hopes for forever. . . .
Published July 5th 2016 by BookShots

To ask other readers questions about Learning to Ride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Learning to Ride

Emerald Sue
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
"I want you to stay. I figured I'm destined to love a city girl, and I hope like hell she's willing to love me back." - Tanner
Evie
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!

It's a feel good romance. It reminds me of why I fell in love reading romance.

Madeline is a hard worker and wants nothing more than to climb the corporate ladder, and now she has the perfect opportunity to do so, and do it well. Only, she has to move from New York to Sunnybell, Texas. That's asking a lot of her, but she can do it. After all, if her calculations are right her stay will last no more than two years top.

After a few days of being holed up in a motel, she misses th
Anna's Herding Cats

Reviewed for herding cats & burning soup.
Amazon: http://amzn.to/1UPaafQ

The tagline for the Bookshots Flames line from James Patterson is "Novels you can devour in a few hours. And ...impossible to stop reading" and damn if that wasn't true. A cowboy, a city girl, a sleepy little town and unstoppable attraction...Learning to Ride pulled me in and wouldn't let go.

The quick of it is that Madeline's come to a small town in Texas to manage a merger for her company. She plans on sticking around f
Shannon
This did not in fact kick my book slump. I'm giving up on it.
*DNF so no rating
herdys
Jul 10, 2016 rated it liked it
I still prefer her HRs but for a short story it was nice enough. I'll take a cowboy meets city girl story over another rockstar in hiding romance anytime lol
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
3 stars

I thought this was an uninspired read. I didn't care overly much for Madeline, and because of the abbreviated nature of the book, don't feel like I really got to know Tanner. The romance was rushed, but it had to be to fit into 144 pages. I did enjoy the small town setting, and while the ending was not convincing, all the loose ends were tied up in a neat little bow. Madeline found a new calling instead of her soulless corporate position, and Tanner finally trusted someone enough to make
Attack Salmon
Jan 10, 2017 rated it liked it
One of the best Bookshot Flames I have read so far. Short and Sweet
Shannon
3.5*

A sweet little romance of opposites attract- the cowboy and the businesswoman. This book only took me 2 hours to read, but it was pretty well fleshed-out, with engaging characters and a fun storyline. Learning to Ride is a great read when you just need a bit of happy in your life.

I'm really loving these BookShots, brilliant idea on Mr. Pattersons part!
Angelina Navarro
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Learning to ride... a book shots from James Patterson... I am a slow reader but this book had me hooked from beganing to end. When I pick up this book I couldnt put it down. I am a sucker for small town cozy romance and that's excatly what this was for me.
Tiffany Reads It All
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Learning to Ride by Erin Knightley is one of the first titles published as part of James Patterson's new BookShots Flames imprint. I must admit, at first I had planned to avoid this line, as I don't read James Patterson and I thought the whole concept was kind of gimmicky. But after a string of DNFs, I was hoping to find a short but enjoyable read, so I picked up Learning to Ride. And I really liked it! It helps that it's a cowboy romance--one of my favorite tropes.

Madeline Harper is a bonafide
Jasmyn
This was a really fun and quick read. Madeline was a great character that I could easily relate to. She's career driven and love is the furthest thing from her mind. She's in town for one reason only, to make the deal that will send her back to the big city and cement her promotion into her dream job. But this little town seems to like having her around.

Before she knows it, she's in a reading group, making friends, and has caught the eye of the town's most eligible bachelor, Tanner Callen. Tanne
Jane
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bookshots
What a great little book this is. Sweet love story about country cowboy, Tanner and city girl, Madeline Harper. She transfers, temporarily she believes, to Texas for her job. Wanting to experience a bit of country night life she ends up at The Rebel Yell. This is the local pub. It is there that she meets Tanner. He is everything she didn't know she wanted and it takes her awhile to figure that out. Perfect bedtime read with a HEA.
Kristine (The Writer's Inkwell)
Posted originally on my blog:
The Writer's Inkwell

This is the second of the James Patterson book shots I have read and I have to say, I wasn’t really impressed. To be fair, I think the author did a decent enough job. I just find the whole sexy cowboy, beautiful city girl romance is completely overdone. I suppose I just wish that for once there wasn’t such a cliche set up in romance books. Why can’t there more originality in these stories?

I suppose this is why I do not like romances. Because unle
Shannon   The Romance Addict!
So I liked tanner a lot, but Madeline....Not so much. She came off like a snob. She kept attacking Tanner and his life. Then apologizing 10 minutes later. They spent a total of like 4 date together and fought on all of them. But they were so much in love? IDK but "Madeline" (not Maddie) ruined it for me. I'll go 3.5 stars
Gail
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fun and short romance story. I loved every minute of it! Madeline who only seems to care about work. Her boss in NYC send her down to Texas for a few months to take care of business. One night she meets Tanner in a bar and she has the night of her life. Tanner wants her to see that there is more to life than working all the time. Can he win her over? Read the story to find out!
Cupcakemummy
Probably the best of the romantic bookshots so far. I don't feel too cheated on the story, it read well and ended as expected but perfectly. It was the structure of a full length novel squished perfectly into a hundred pages.

Applause for Erin Knightly.

Doesn't help that it was about a small texas town either :P A hot cowboy with an accent? Yes please :)
Dorel
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the 1st book I read by Erin Knightley. I really liked Tanner's character. I thought Tanner was too nice for Madeline. I didn't like Madeline. I thought Madeline was rude. I thought this book's story line was slow & boring. Plus I didn't feel the chemistry between Tanner & Madeline.
Wendy
Oct 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Learning to Ride

This is just like any other love story. Short and sweet with no plot at all. I sure hope that James Patterson doesn't write to many like this one.
Karsyn
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nbrc-wobble
1.5 stars. Only not a 1 because I didn't Hate it, I just didn't like it. Dull, boring, all the cliches like instalove and can't live without each other after like a month. Blech!
Michelle
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness...I’m not really a fan of cutesy love-at-first-site romance novels but this one really worked out for me! James Patterson really hit the nail on the head when collaborating with Erin Knightley for this Flames Bookshots! Not only do I now want to read all of the other “ Flames” versions of these books but I also plan on checking out Erin Knightley as an author, I hope she’s written more!!

The story of Tanner & Madeline is such an adorable one. She reminds me a bit of myself ( o
Crystalvuletichotmail.com
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Short and sweet romantic read about a NYC exec who ends up in a small TX town to handle acquisitions and mergers. She portrays herself as monogomous and a relationship junkie but has a one night stand w/ the one guy all of the girls in town swoon over. After many times that she turns him away they finally end up going out. A bit far fetched with a few occurrances in this book but you know when you pick it up that there won't be a big story line since it is a short romance novel.
Reese Ryan
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Despite its brevity, author Erin Knightley treats us to a full story with a well-developed hero and heroine and lots of conflict. I enjoyed watching Madeline and Tanner slowly grow closer as they got to know each other. The secondary characters were fun and helped to bring the town of Sunnybell to life. I look forward to visiting this small town again.
Tracey
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It must be this time of year as I am not normally a lover of romance stories. I really enjoyed this story about the city slicker (Madeline) falling in love with a cowboy (Tanner). Tanner is single and just seems like the perfect guy - no hang ups, baggage etc. Having said that - I still could not put the book down, so it's a thumbs up for me.
Virginia Lee Boylan
A rather forgettable book about two people from different worlds drawn irresistibly together. Though he keeps trying to get her to ride the mechanical bull, she only does it once. Not exactly a reason for the book’s title, and the other kind of riding in this book doesn’t seem to need much learning.
Victoria
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good short little book. The spark wasn’t quite there for me. I love the comedy behind Tanner, but they only saw each other a few times. I wish they saw each other more before they came back together. But for a short book it was good.
Karen
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance

I loved James Patterson's foreward. He admires Romance writers! WOW made me listen to this with a totally different ear. It's a sweet read!
Nise'
Is she willing to take a chance on love or will she continue to be "professional" for the time she is in town? Courtney Patterson narrated both Madeline and Tanner well in this opposites attract Bookshot.
Natalie Hennessy
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-shelves
Even though this is a tiny book, the chemistry was amazing! A bit of a ridiculous scenario because they only know each other for like a few weeks. I wish there was a epilogue or something to see how this all works out.
Jeanne (love2cook)
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Madeline Harper has been transferred to a small town in Texas by her employer. There she meets Tanner Callen, local rodeo king hero. He finds that he just doesn't want her for a one night stand but forever. A good little read!
Ginger Mcclintick
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was a good book short but sweet.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Crazy for You (Life and Love on the Lam, #2)
  • See Jane Fall (Heart of Montana, #4)
  • Hot Winter Nights (Bear Mountain Rescue, #1)
  • Over-Exposed (Perspectives, #2)
  • Bunco Babes Gone Wild
  • The Perfect Fit (Riley O'Brien & Co., #4)
  • Then He Showed Up (Love From Austin, #1)
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
  • The Proposing Kind (Brew Ha Ha #4)
  • Cinderella Blackmail (Barely a Fairy Tale #1)
  • Catch Him If You Can
  • Windswept (Serendipity Adventure Romance, #3)
  • Hard Riding Cowboy (Gold Valley, #2.5)
  • The Wild Side (Forever Wild, #4)
  • Bodyguard (Under Covers #1)
  • What the Heart Wants (Hearts and Arrows, #2.5)
  • The McCullagh Inn in Maine
  • A Curvy Girl for the Cadet (Perfect Fit, #4)

Sunnybell (2 books)
  • The Return (Sunnybell #2)