Start by marking “Lost Gods” as Want to Read:
Lost Gods

Lost Gods

A young man descends into Purgatory to save his wife and unborn child in this gorgeous, illustrated tale of wonder and terror from the mind of master storyteller and acclaimed artist Brom

Published October 25th 2016 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about Lost Gods, please sign up.
john hoxie Keep my attention to the end. If you like fantasy I would recommend. I would also suggest The Child Thief. It is an interesting tale about Peter Pan…moreKeep my attention to the end. If you like fantasy I would recommend. I would also suggest The Child Thief. It is an interesting tale about Peter Pan unlike any other.(less)

Start your review of Lost Gods
Char
Lost Gods doesn't fit neatly into any one genre. Purgatory being its main setting, there are demons and gods and whatnot, but here in the real world on Moran Island live both a witch and a Lilith, (all in one), as well as a fallen angel and the demonic ghosts of children. I guess Dark Fantasy would be the closest one could come to an accurate label.

Young Chet, fresh out of jail, sells the automotive love of his life to claim the actual love of his life, who is pregnant with his child. He
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Actual Rating: 2.5 Stars

”Too many Heaven borne souls find out too late that eternal bliss comes at a price. Their scriptures and verses never illuminate just how one can be in joyous rapture while their mothers, fathers, children, burn for all eternity.”

This book had no right to disappoint me as much as it did.

It centers around Chet Moran, a man recently out of prison & determined to get his life back on track for the sake of his pregnant girlfriend & unborn child. But circumstances find
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
Okay, so this book terrified me so much that when I was half and half in a sleep paralysis state, I saw all sorts of shadows swirling around me.

This is a truly terrifying, existential crisis-inducing book that covers how corruption can trickle into the after life. Taking place in purgatory, this novel is shows how corruption trickles into the afterlife too.

Full review to come.

Image result for purgatory art
Jay
Supernatural, Game of Thrones and The Odyssey had a baby...

...and they named it Lost Gods.

The first thing that really caught my eye about Lost Gods was the gorgeous cover:

Brom is actually an illustrator with quite a few works under his belt already, so it's no surprise that Lost Gods is filled with his stunning art too.

No spoilers in this review, everything here is already in the blurb :)

The story is about Chet Moran, a guy fresh out of jail. He's eager to get a second chance
Lyn
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliantly dark.

Fans of writer / illustrator Gerald Brom know he stays in the hinterland of shadows and creepy by his other works like The Child Thief and Krampus. Brom focuses his work on the October Country of Ray Bradbury. But where Bradbury is a charming old uncle in a drafty, spooky old Georgian house, Brom is the slightly off kilter cousin who will get you in trouble if you let him. Brom is to urban fantasy as Amy Lee is to Alternative Rock - gothic, bold and charismatic.

His 2016
Carlos
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was the best Brom book I have read so far, the imagination, the art , the storytelling, everything worked in unison and the outcome was perfection itself. Purgatory comes alive and you can feel yourself traveling along with the characters. This story will make you want to be there with them , never mind that the story takes place in hell. It is that good , I highly recommend this book to anyone with a desire of exploring mythological themes in a current setting .
Paul
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
so I've flooded GR today with reviews and updates so I apologize but I'm a streaky reader. and assuming this isn't my first review you've read you know I'm not huge on synopses.

so my rating 4.5 stars rounded up.

Brom is a very visual storyteller. and there are many illustrations including some gorgeous full colour plates.

that's just the icing on the cake.

and with this title the reader gets their cake and can eat it too. it's an awesome mash-up of horror, dark fantasy, action thriller and
Ruiner
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Quest?" Ana said. "What's it going to take for you to understand that this isn't some adventure from one of your storybooks?"
"Know what?" He gave her a wicked grin. "Peter Pan once said, 'Death is a might big adventure.' I'm going with that."

description

I always love hard contrast. Lost Gods has the contrast of beautiful and dark fantasy in spades.

description

Brom created a unique vision of purgatory. Within the cast of purgatory you have your lost souls, those looking to take their souls, slaves, demons, military
☆★Tinja★✮ A Court of Pizza and Laziness
I uh.... I don't know how to rate this I only know that FUCKING HELL I DO NOT WANT TO END UP IN PURGATORY !!!!!!!1

WOW this SOUNDS awesome! But but I'm a little hesitant to read this since I DNFed The Yule Lord... Hmmm..
J.K. Grice
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: dark-fantasy
First of all, this is an absolutely gorgeous book. Brom's artistic talents are extraordinary and they are showcased in this volume. However, in LOST GODS, I don't feel like Brom's story has quite the flow or appeal as it did in KRAMPUS THE YULE LORD. The novel seems a bit too long and at times a bit too vague. Still, I'm glad I read it and the artwork is stunning.
Anne
RELEASE DAY RELEASE DAY RELEASE DAY!!!!!!!!!!

************************************

Jamie
Dec 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not at all the chilling horror experience I was expecting. Rather a fast paced, violent and action packed hero's quest/adventure through the vast reaches of a netherworld full of unrelenting brutality. It's a fun ride, and with Brom bringing to life all manner of ancient, forgotten gods and demons, taking a page from Neil Gaiman's American Gods, it makes for a fascinating world. Yet, it feels rushed. The story lacks subtlety, never slowing down enough to build any real sense of suspense.
Michelle {Book Hangovers}
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's everything you’d expect from Brom. Creepy, horrifying and beautiful. His artwork is on another level of phenomenal. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 star rating was because it lacks a lot of attention to detail when it comes to the characters. Also the build up to the ending and the ending itself was a little bit of a bummed. I just wanted/expected more. But all in all, I did love it. Love me some Brom and I can wait to see what he has for us in the future.
Matthew
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark, evocative, and enthralling. A very enjoyable read! Full review to come.
Twig
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Read the book in nearly one sitting (read over 400 pages today)
Im once more in love with the writing style and world building of Brom. Not sure what I was reading but it was extremly good. I have to think about it for the following days. I loved the characters, their background and stories. How they fit together and how it feels when we humans destroy a world of myth and wonder.
Amanda
Apr 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was with luck that I was able to win an advanced copy of Lost Gods from Harper Voyager courtesy of Goodreads. Imagine my excitement when I received that email! Winning a book...for free? Not only that, but a book that wasn't even on bookstore shelves yet? It is but equal to striking gold. It may be an uncorrected copy with no character sheets tucked inside, but it was still a Brom story nonetheless.

Brom, one of my all-time favorite authors/artists, is someone whose books I look forward to
Lindsey
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, reviews
DNF at about halfway. I had a very hard time deciding how I felt about this book, and in the end I reluctantly put it down. I say I was reluctant because it was sincerely well-written. The characters were three-dimensional, the story was interesting, the imagery was wonderful.

But. From the very beginning I was unable to figure out what kind of novel I was reading - horror? fantasy? mythology? I will be the first to say that easy categorization is not a prerequisite to my enjoyment of a novel
Patrick
Lost Gods by Brom was published in 2016. It’s about a man named Chet, who just released from jail, sets out to find his girlfriend who happens to be carrying his child. Together they head to his grandmother’s house, but not all is as it seems…. Chet is murdered and is plunged into Purgatory like a fallen angel. He learns that limbo is a world of turmoil. Old forgotten pagan gods, people from past and present, religious, atheist, etc. all exist together in chaos. Chet has to wade through the ...more
Bob
Maybe it's because Clive Barker, Paul Kane, and Tim Powers already took us there over the past year, but this descent into Hell didn't grab me the way I expected it to. Brom offers up an interesting setting and a remarkable journey, but the storyline itself was all over the place, and the characters were a little too flat to make the action come alive. Despite that, it's a story I kept returning to over the months it lingered on my pile, and one I felt compelled to finish, which definitely says ...more
Cam
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. This book was a recommendation from the library for Halloween.

A young man descends into purgatory to save his wife and unborn child.

Fresh out of jail and eager to start a new life, Chet Moran and his pregnant wife, Trish, leave town to begin again. But an ancient evil is looming, and what seems like a safe haven may not be all it appears.

Snared and murdered by a vile, arcane horror, Chet quickly learns that pain and death are not unique to the living. Now the lives
K.N.
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Brom does best when he doesn't focus on happy endings. It's why I loved The Child Thief and not The Yule Lord. It may be a spoiler to say that, with that point in mind, I loved this book.

Now, as I've stated before with Brom, was there some cheesiness? Yes. Were there some underdeveloped or nearly throw-away characters? Yes. Were some plot-threads abandoned? Of course. But what was good here was good.

There are plenty of people who will not like this book. Like, Inferno, you get to read a lot of
A. Hunt
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Brom is an author of unimaginable skill. The stories he weaves, along with detailed illustrations, forge real life and nightmare into an amalgam of epic proportions. This is my second read and I am anxious to get my hands on more. Lost Gods is not only a voyage, it is a soulful experience.

Chet Moran is freshly released from jail and on a mission to win back the heart of his girl Trish. Two things are standing in the way of his true happiness: Trish's father, a very influential judge in the town
A Bookish ✧ Fable
First Sentence: "Chet Moran clicked off his headlights and backed into Judge Wilson's winding driveway, just far enough that his Ford Pinto wouldn't be visible from the road."

So First of all, Wow. Usually i don't read more then one book from the same author but BROM is definitely an exception.
The beautiful illustrations in the midst of the book made my whole year, so amazing.

This story of almost 500 pages is about a man named Chet, getting released from jail, and is on his way to get back his
Amber
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: librarybooks
Chet runs away with his soon to be wife Trish and their unborn child to his grandmother's house where they will be safe. Things quickly go awry when his grandmother Lamia (who is a demon lillith) kills Chet and he ends up in purgatory. Can Chet fight through all obstacles to go and save his family before it is too late? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good read which some parts sent shivers down my spine. I have enjoyed Brom's works since I read The Child Thiefand Krampus:
Flying Monkey
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I love Brom's writing and his ability to create such dark, twisted tales. Great world building and characters. I only wish there was a little more insight and depth given to the history of the Gods, Demons, and Lilith.

The art and story is truly amazing though.

Derpa
DNF at 70%.

I have to be honest in connection with Brom, I am just not all that impressed by his stories. Sure, they have some interesting ideas, but so far the two I have read (or attempted to read) were... not really anything I care about all that much. Krampus was fun for Christmas, as it was very different from what we usually get around then, but this... No. It just wasn't really interesting to me.

The man's art is lovely. I find it interesting enough, with its dark elements and all. The
Jamie Connolly
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books
I’ve been giving out a lot of 5 star ratings lately and I promised myself to start being a tougher critic. “Lost Gods” however is one of the best books I have ever read. They synopsis of the story is as much as you should know going in so I will leave out any story details. I will just say that this is among the most imaginative and well-told stories I have come across in my life. I was so impressed, I knew I was reading something I really loved only 1/4 through the story. To me, this book is ...more
Randy
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Actually DNF. Corny...
Jay DeMoir
Jun 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I can only point to the fact that the story itself just didn't keep my interest. Certainly not a bad book though. The artwork was really beautiful
Shelly
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. Not quite as good as The Child Thief, but entertaining nonetheless.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #22 Lost Gods by Brom 1 3 Mar 24, 2019 03:04PM

• Shadow Beast
  • The Amulet
  • Tales from the Gas Station: Volume One
  • The Conception of Terror: Tales Inspired by M. R. James - Volume 1
  • Make Me No Grave
  • Johnny
  • Twinborn Trilogy Collection (Twinborn Trilogy, #1-3)
  • Midnight Son
  • A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World
  • Commune: Book Four (Commune #4)
  • Black Crow, White Snow
  • The Darkwater Bride
  • Web of Eyes (Buried Goddess Saga, #1)
  • Alter
  • Solitude (Dimension Space #1)
Gerald Brom is an American gothic fantasy artist and illustrator. Brought up as a military dependent he was known by his last name only, and now signs his name as simply Brom.

An Army brat, Brom spent his entire youth on the move and unabashedly blames living in such places as Japan, Hawaii, Germany, and Alabama for all his afflictions. From his earliest memories he has been obsessed with the