Start by marking “What I Couldn't Tell You” as Want to Read:
What I Couldn't Tell You

What I Couldn't Tell You

Laura was head over heels in love with Joe. But now Laura lies in a coma and Joe has gone missing. Was he the one who attacked her?

Laura's sister Tessie is selectively mute. She can't talk but she can listen. And as people tell her their secrets, she thinks she's getting close to und
Paperback
Published May 1st 2016 by Usborne Publishing Ltd

To ask other readers questions about What I Couldn't Tell You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What I Couldn't Tell You

Aditi
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“You can only be jealous of someone who has something you think you ought to have yourself.”

----Margaret Atwood

Faye Bird, an English author, pens her intriguing young adult thriller story in her new book, What I Couldn't Tell You that narrates the story of a young teenage girl suffering from Selective Mutism, whose elder sister is under coma after an attack on her head when she was with her boyfriend, and following her attack, the boyfriend goes missing but it is only the selectively mute si
Sophie
I wanted to like this book but long story short, I didn't. First up I found the characters decisions and thoughts extremely unbelievable and stupid. Even though we could see what Tessie, the main character, was thinking I couldn't understand why she thought and did what she did. She liked Billie even though (view spoiler) ...more
Jasmine (Jasmine Pearl Reads)
This review also appears on my blog

I dived into this book without knowing anything except the fact that I read what’s written at the back of the book. That’s it. I didn’t read much from Goodreads because I didn’t want to spoil myself nor read others’ reviews and whatnot.

Here are some reasons why I gave this 5 f**king stars:

I thought that the story would just evolve in Laura’s life, but hecK NO! It revealed a lot of things. Good things. Bad things. Unexpected things.
Family relationship? Friends
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
May 10, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: owned-tbr
I thought this wasn't out until next month!
Jordan (Her Paper Adventure)
Review to come...
Louis
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lisa-Books Smiles
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a great YA thriller!
ZOEY
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcpublisher, ya-na
read what I thought about this book on my blog :

Hannah Pike
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow.
That novel kept me on edge and guessing till the end!
Had an inkling for who was behind it as the novel progressed, though!
Bea (Beatrice Learns To Read)
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Read more of this review at Beatrice Learns To Read.

What I Couldn't Tell You is as straightforward as its synopsis when it comes to telling what you're about to read when you pick up this book. From love to jealousy that turned into rage that eventually lead to destruction, What I Couldn't Tell You is a book that will keep you turning the pages with its magnetic storytelling.

The book immediately jumps in to the night of Laura's attack. Although the chapters for Laura and Joe were kept s
Bookread2day
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A must buy must read. What I couldn't Tell You is 100% brilliant. I was unable to stop reading. The story will remain with me for a long time. The plot, characters and with the amazing dialogue, I have to recommend it to every reader out there. I can honestly say that Faye Bird is a very talented author indeed, and a big credit Usborne books company. The story of What I couldn't Tell You has crime scenes by a rage of jealousy. Young Laura and Joe are madly in love with each other. Hand in hand ...more
Lila
Jul 25, 2016 added it
My eyes raced along the pages to find what happens next.A connection that had been metioned once had a huge impact to the story.This book made me realise to snatch the chance while you still can.
Trisha
Didn't quite work for me. Issues with passive protagonist and the last chapter.
Michelle Caffrey
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
The good thing about this book was that it did keep me reading, though at times I’m not entirely sure how.

The premise is interesting. Tessie’s sister - Laura - was attacked and is now in a coma. Her boyfriend Joe, who has mysteriously disappeared, is the primary suspect. Teassie herself suffers from selective mutism and thus spends a lot of time listening to people. Can she work out what really happened to her sister?

This book gets two stars because it taught me more about SM, something I have n
Rita Chastre
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Written by Faye Bird, also the author of ‘My second life’. It narrates a story about a girl (Tessie) who has selective mutism (SM), however something happened to her sister Laura and she is now lying in coma. Laura’s boyfriend Joe has gone missing. Was he the one who attacked her? Tessie is now trying to uncover the truth.

Positive points:

Dialogue enriched the story;
The story immediately starts and the description of the characters flows as the story is told;
Selective Mutism was researched and di
CherryCarrot
Jul 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Another DNF. The blurb made this book sound right up my street but I only lasted about 40 pages. I felt the section at the beginning with Laura and Joe was far too long - it should have been a brief teaser to introduce the mystery and add tension, but instead it came across as rambley and gave me very little sense of place or character. Maybe it's just the writing style, but I didn't feel any impetus to carry on.
Lucy Fiennes
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazinggg

It is such an amazing story of courage, depression, family and consequences. It's really quite sad in some bits but I advise also that no on under the age of 13 should read this, due to sex references, swear words, also attempted murder but over all this book is so good and worth it
Jacqui
Dec 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
I was super disappointed with the ending. It was stupid.
Also, I never liked Billy to begin with so the fact that Tessie was in love with him really annoyed me (she barely knew him- it was a crush!). Tessie was making bad decisions through out the novel.

Yes, the book was readable but I do not recommend it.
Bex Books
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved the first novel by Faye bird .. but this one i was like hummm...a good read but annoying!!
I just wanted to strangle Tessie and yell speak girl speak ! It was so frustrating but very intriguing at the same time! Mixed thoughts on this one but I have passed it to a friend :) be interesting to hear her thoughts on it!!
Jennie
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was a real disappointment for me, I did not look like the protagonist, the story was all a little too obvious and if I'm honest it could have been chopped from 406 pages and made into a quick read as a lot was repetitive waffle.
Ruthy lavin
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a good read.
Interesting content and not a very predictable ending.
Worth a read!
Clare Brunton
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Readable but a stupid and unrealistic plot and the most unsatisfying ending.
Charlotte Johnson
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good storyline, kept you guessing, well written.
Ruzaika
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Received a review copy in exchange for an honest review by Usborne Publishing.

Another version of this review can be found here

The first thing that snagged my attention about this book is the mention of Selective Mutism. I've never read a book that dealt with a protagonist suffering from SM, so I knew I just had to check this out. Also, the synopsis just sounds SO good- I do so love a mystery thriller, not to mention that lovely, albeit slightly foreboding cover, that I knew I couldn't pass this
Aisling Davis
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book...
the subject was very sad the book was never boring and I wanted to keep on reading it and not put it down
This has to have been one of the best books I've read in a while it was described really well I felt I was in the camp as well and the ending was really good
Aug 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Orignally posted on:> http://lauraslittlebookblog.blogspot....
3.5/5

A quick skim read of the synopsis of What I Couldn't Tell You had me hankering for more; 'When love turns to jealousy, when jealousy turns to rage, when rage turns to destruction...'. Laura was madly in love with her boyfriend Joe, but 5 weeks together and Laura now lies in a coma and Joe has disappeared, but who did do this to Laura? Laura's sister Tessie is selectively mute and although she can't speak, she can listen and as
Nadia
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
It’s so refreshing to see a take on selective mutism where the mutism isn’t triggered by a traumatic experience, even if the story itself does revolve around one.

Much of the narrative is told through Laura’s younger sister, Tessie, who is selectively mute, and the book’s portrayal of a widely misunderstood disorder is highly commendable, challenging the misconceptions that surround it.

I loved the relationship Tessie struggled to have with her mum. The strain SM puts on personal relationships is
Emma_H
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was pretty disappointed with this book as it didn't grip me like I thought it would. I enjoyed hearing from Tessie's point of view but I found her "love" to be more a crush and really annoying. The twist was pretty predictable and I altogether think that so many parts of this book weren't rounded off completely.
Patricia
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I won this book in a GoodReads giveaway! Thank you so much for sending me a copy!

I loved this book, the mistery has you gripped from the beginning. What I loved it's that it wasn't all about Laura's, that Tessie's story takes a big part in this book too.
I loved Tessie's inner voice. I would really recommend this book!
The Book Moo
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was so happy to receive this book to review for a blog tour from Usborne. This does not effect my review or opinions.

I thought this book was gripping and it stayed with me even when I put it down. I continued to try and work out who had done such a horrible thing to Laura. I don't want to spoil anyone so I won't say much more but it was a satisfying ending with justice served.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Shine
  • Three Little Words
  • Life Happens Next
  • Louder Than Words
  • The Crowfield Demon (Crowfield Abbey, #2)
  • The King's Shadow
  • Bad Luck (Bad, #2)
  • Frozen Charlotte
  • Blabber Mouth (Rowena Batts, #1)
  • The Hunting Ground
  • Gods of The Nowhere: A Novel of Halloween
  • Silence is Goldfish
  • Cruel Heart Broken
  • Constable & Toop
Faye writes fiction for young adults. Before becoming a writer she worked as a literary agent representing screenwriters in film and TV. She studied Philosophy and Literature at Warwick University, but has otherwise always lived in London, and still does now. Her second novel, What I Couldn’t Tell You, will be published on 1 May 2016.