Start by marking “What I Couldn't Tell You” as Want to Read:
What I Couldn't Tell You

What I Couldn't Tell You

When love turns to jealousy, when jealousy turns to rage, when rage turns to destruction...

Laura was head over heels in love with Joe. But now Laura lies in a coma and Joe has gone missing. Was he the one who attacked her?

Laura's sister Tessie is selectively mute. She can't talk but she can listen. And as people tell her their secrets, she thinks she's getting close to und
Paperback
Published May 1st 2016 by Usborne Publishing Ltd

To ask other readers questions about What I Couldn't Tell You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What I Couldn't Tell You

Start your review of What I Couldn't Tell You
Aditi
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“You can only be jealous of someone who has something you think you ought to have yourself.”

----Margaret Atwood

Faye Bird, an English author, pens her intriguing young adult thriller story in her new book, What I Couldn't Tell You that narrates the story of a young teenage girl suffering from Selective Mutism, whose elder sister is under coma after an attack on her head when she was with her boyfriend, and following her attack, the boyfriend goes missing but it is only the selectively mute si
Sophie
Nov 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
I wanted to like this book but long story short, I didn't. First up I found the characters decisions and thoughts extremely unbelievable and stupid. Even though we could see what Tessie, the main character, was thinking I couldn't understand why she thought and did what she did. She liked Billie even though (view spoiler) ...more
Jasmine (Jasmine Pearl Reads)
This review also appears on my blog

I dived into this book without knowing anything except the fact that I read what’s written at the back of the book. That’s it. I didn’t read much from Goodreads because I didn’t want to spoil myself nor read others’ reviews and whatnot.

Here are some reasons why I gave this 5 f**king stars:

I thought that the story would just evolve in Laura’s life, but hecK NO! It revealed a lot of things. Good things. Bad things. Unexpected things.
Family relationship? Friends
El
Jul 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
Cora Tea Party Princess
May 10, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: owned-tbr
I thought this wasn't out until next month!
Elinor
Jun 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, mystery
Rating: 3/5

I really enjoyed the premise of this book - the idea of an unravelling mystery with Tessie, a mute girl, at the centre of it, acting as a confidante to the various suspects around the incident of her sister's attack.

The mystery for me was a little meh - I think it clicked for me quite early on who the attacker was within the story but I read on as I was intrigued how it would all play out with the reveal, which to be honest was very anti-climatic.

The character of Tessie both intrigu
Louis
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lisa-Books Smiles
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a great YA thriller!
ZOEY
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-na, arcpublisher
read what I thought about this book on my blog :

Bea (Beatrice Learns To Read)
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Read more of this review at Beatrice Learns To Read.

What I Couldn't Tell You is as straightforward as its synopsis when it comes to telling what you're about to read when you pick up this book. From love to jealousy that turned into rage that eventually lead to destruction, What I Couldn't Tell You is a book that will keep you turning the pages with its magnetic storytelling.

The book immediately jumps in to the night of Laura's attack. Although the chapters for Laura and Joe were kept s
Bookread2day
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A must buy must read. What I couldn't Tell You is 100% brilliant. I was unable to stop reading. The story will remain with me for a long time. The plot, characters and with the amazing dialogue, I have to recommend it to every reader out there. I can honestly say that Faye Bird is a very talented author indeed, and a big credit Usborne books company. The story of What I couldn't Tell You has crime scenes by a rage of jealousy. Young Laura and Joe are madly in love with each other. Hand in hand ...more
Patricia
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I won this book in a GoodReads giveaway! Thank you so much for sending me a copy!

I loved this book, the mistery has you gripped from the beginning. What I loved it's that it wasn't all about Laura's, that Tessie's story takes a big part in this book too.
I loved Tessie's inner voice. I would really recommend this book!
Lila
Jul 25, 2016 added it
My eyes raced along the pages to find what happens next.A connection that had been metioned once had a huge impact to the story.This book made me realise to snatch the chance while you still can.
Hannah Pike
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow.
That novel kept me on edge and guessing till the end!
Had an inkling for who was behind it as the novel progressed, though!
Charlotte Johnson
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good storyline, kept you guessing, well written.
Trisha
Didn't quite work for me. Issues with passive protagonist and the last chapter.
A
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
'What I Couldn't Tell You' by Faye Bird is an interesting crime and love story for young adults about a selectively mute girl called Tessie. Her sister Laura is in a coma after an attack and her sister's boyfriend Joe is missing. Because of her anxiety about speaking, Tessie can only talk at home with a few selected people such as her parents, siblings and close friends and only with the front door PROPER SHUT. She cannot talk outside of her home but everybody seems to tell her secrets and she s ...more
Kathryn
Jun 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
hollie
May 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Rose
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
Elly Herrmann
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
Frustrating. Everything was frustrating. The plot, the characters, Tessie. Omg Tessie was frustrating. Her actions, her thoughts. Everything was just frustrating. There’s no other word for it.

She might be young and naive, but come on! Throughout the whole book she’s cautious and worries about everything and then as soon some pretty boy comes along she seemingly forgets that, even when he’s violent both to Max and to her herself. It just didn’t make sense.

The only reason I’m not giving this a 1
Rita Chastre
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Written by Faye Bird, also the author of ‘My second life’. It narrates a story about a girl (Tessie) who has selective mutism (SM), however something happened to her sister Laura and she is now lying in coma. Laura’s boyfriend Joe has gone missing. Was he the one who attacked her? Tessie is now trying to uncover the truth.

Positive points:

Dialogue enriched the story;
The story immediately starts and the description of the characters flows as the story is told;
Selective Mutism was researched and di
CherryCarrot
Jul 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Another DNF. The blurb made this book sound right up my street but I only lasted about 40 pages. I felt the section at the beginning with Laura and Joe was far too long - it should have been a brief teaser to introduce the mystery and add tension, but instead it came across as rambley and gave me very little sense of place or character. Maybe it's just the writing style, but I didn't feel any impetus to carry on.
Bex Books
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved the first novel by Faye bird .. but this one i was like hummm...a good read but annoying!!
I just wanted to strangle Tessie and yell speak girl speak ! It was so frustrating but very intriguing at the same time! Mixed thoughts on this one but I have passed it to a friend :) be interesting to hear her thoughts on it!!
Lucy Fiennes
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazinggg

It is such an amazing story of courage, depression, family and consequences. It's really quite sad in some bits but I advise also that no on under the age of 13 should read this, due to sex references, swear words, also attempted murder but over all this book is so good and worth it
Jennie
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was a real disappointment for me, I did not look like the protagonist, the story was all a little too obvious and if I'm honest it could have been chopped from 406 pages and made into a quick read as a lot was repetitive waffle.
Claudia Trindade
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
To keep it simple, it was a lovely book. The personal struggles that Tessie has with her being mute made it quite interesting. Although I was annoyed with her choices sometimes. But then aren’t you always with certain character 😅.
Clare Brunton
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Readable but a stupid and unrealistic plot and the most unsatisfying ending.
Ruthy lavin
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a good read.
Interesting content and not a very predictable ending.
Worth a read!
Joanne Hyde
Mar 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I was totally hooked on this book... unfortunately the last few chapters were so predictable and it kind of spoilt the ending.

• Beauty Sleep
  • Chasing the Stars
  • After the Fire
  • This Lie Will Kill You
  • Close Your Eyes
  • Instructions for a Second-hand Heart
  • The Places I've Cried in Public
  • Now You See Me
  • Good Girl, Bad Blood (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #2)
  • Torn
  • More of Me
  • Birthday
  • We Are Young
  • Hope in a Ballet Shoe: Orphaned by war, saved by ballet: an extraordinary true story
  • Journey to the River Sea
  • Daughter of Smoke and Bone: Free Preview - The First 14 Chapters
  • See How They Lie
  • Entangled
Faye writes fiction for young adults. Before becoming a writer she worked as a literary agent representing screenwriters in film and TV. She studied Philosophy and Literature at Warwick University, but has otherwise always lived in London, and still does now. Her second novel, What I Couldn’t Tell You, will be published on 1 May 2016.