Start by marking “Autoboyography” as Want to Read:
Autoboyography

Autoboyography

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  19,137 ratings  ·  3,997 reviews
Three years ago, Tanner Scott’s family relocated from California to Utah, a move that nudged the bisexual teen temporarily back into the closet. Now, with one semester of high school to go, and no obstacles between him and out-of-state college freedom, Tanner plans to coast through his remaining classes and clear out of Utah.

But when his best friend Autumn dare
Published September 12th 2017 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Autoboyography, please sign up.
The Reading Renegade "LDS" is an abbreviation for "Latter Day Saint", who go to "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints". (I'm a member) :)
Pixel Henn
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  19,137 ratings  ·  3,997 reviews

Start your review of Autoboyography
Emma Giordano
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
4 Stars! A really remarkable read that lives up to the hype.

CW: homophobia

I have to say, I was NOT feeling this book to start. The plot felt very generic to start and I found Tanner incredibly irritating. Once the story passed into a period of cute romance, I was more into it. Finally, when shit hit the fan and everything was ruined, I was hooked. (Wonder what that say about me?) I thoroughly enjoyed the different points of conflict in the story, from the romance problems, the frien
C.G. Drews
READ #2: August 2018
I forgot how much this book freaking means to me. I'm crYING okay. I think this book will forever take up space in my heart and I'm so so glad it exists. My love for it is so personal and relatable and rereading made me genuinely tear up (shout out @ me who is generally a stoic vulcan tbh) and have my heartbreak and heal at once.

I can't even.

This is definitely in my top 10 books of all time.

(Also I did the audiobook this time and it was EXCEPTIONAL! The narrator w/>This
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, contemporary
This was such a touching love story. There were so many obstacles along the way due to the very religious town Tanner and Sebastian were living in and I worried for them the entire time but it was a great read. I loved how it featured a bisexual main character and examined what bisexuality means, tackling some common misconceptions, and showed how difficult it can be for a gay boy who has grown up in the Mormon church. Overall, such a great book!
Chaima ✨ شيماء
*drops sandwich to clap*

Reading this book felt like having your own personal cheer squad. I really did not expect to love it this much but now I can't seem to get rid of these....emotions.... like, goddamn it! if my heart won’t start working for the good of the team, at least I should get to exchange it for a loaf of bread fresh out of the oven just for that warm homey smell!!

I mean sure, it was kinda.. sorta.. definitely insta-lovey and I’d still believe every single post about astrology before I bethese........
Lola
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion, lgbt, insta-love
His smile ruins me.

Watching Tanner and Sebastian fall in love felt like privilege. Mostly because they were so beautiful together I couldn’t shake the feeling that I should consider myself lucky to be able to witness such magic. My goodness... romance stories turn me to mush.

Though I’m surprised I managed to enjoy—love, actually—this book. After all, I will answer to anyone who asks that no, I in no way find insta-love realistic. And yet, this is what Tanner feels for Sebastian and vice versa.

Y
Melanie
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Melanie by: Gabby
“A God worthy of your eternal love wouldn’t judge you for who you love while you’re here.”

Friends, I only picked this book up because it was on sale this month on Audible, even though I can never focus on audiobooks. I only started listening, because I decided to spend last night playing video games with my best friend. I only clicked play because he was telling me about his latest audiobook. I honestly believe with whole heart that the stars aligned to make me read this book, and I will be foreve
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”This is how we reveal ourselves: these tiny flashes of discomfort, the reactions we can’t hide.”

“Autoboyography” was one of those books I wanted to read ever since I read the blurb. I mean there was the mention of a bisexual character that’s forced to stay in the closet because he moved to Utha and truth be told that alone was already enough to pique my interest! *lol*

Still, when I picked up the book I didn’t expect to go through so many feels and to say it touched my heart is certainly putting it/>
Elise (TheBookishActress)
me before reading this book: love is a fake social construct
me after reading this book: love is real and it tried to fight me in the parking lot of a Denny’s

”A God worthy of your eternal love wouldn’t judge you for who you love while you’re here.”

So this was unexpectedly sad. It’s a story about a bi boy who moves to a predominantly Mormon area, and despite being closeted, quickly falls for the preacher’s son. It’s sweet. And cute. And also tears your heart out a bit.

What makes Autoboyography succee/>/>me
Melissa
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A half-Jewish, half-nothing queer kid moves to an LDS-infested town. He can’t wait to leave.

And that’s just the start of Tanner’s truth.

A straight, thirty-something, married to her high-school sweetheart, non-practicing and childless Catholic is probably not the target demographic here, but I sort of beg to differ. Shelved in the YA section of the bookstore, Autoboyography is a story rooted in love, self-identity, and the quest for acceptance—things most of us have grappled with at one time or another, just in
☆High Lady of The Night Court☆
It opens with a boy and a girl, a dare, and crumbs on a bed.

First off I’m rating this book 5 stars, no doubt.

The story follows Tanner, in his senior year of school, in Utah. His best friend Autumn dares him to take the Seminar, a class where the students have to write a book in 4 months. Sebastian Brother is the prodigy that wrote a book and sold it, and is now back to mentor students. And as we all know is bound to happen, Tanner and Sebastian fall in love. But the problem lies in the fact that
emma
Okay. I want to start out by saying that I know this book has been veryyyy important for a lot of people, and that's rad. But I had a lot of problems with it and it wasn't for me. If this resonated with ya or anything, maybe just don't read this review? It's not going to make you happy my friend I promise ya that.

So now that we have that out of the way. (I say as if there's any way on god's great green earth I'm not going to still get someone coming at me for this.)

I want
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
I don't know how to talk about this book. I don't know if I'll ever be able to explain my feelings on this book and how it got to me in so many specific ways.

This book felt like a book about home. It was a story about people I grew up with, it was a story about myself and my connection to my sexuality and the religion I grew up being a part of. I saw my high school friends in character after character. I saw a boy I went to school with who grew up to marry another boy, even though it caused him
Gabby
Just finished my reread of this book, and it was just as great the second time. Sebastian is so precious and he must be PROTECTED AT ALL COSTS. This romance is just really cute and I was smiling throughout this entire book, I listened to the audiobook this time around and it was great!

Here's my original review:
My review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S8lb...

"His smile ruins me."
Holy shit, you guys. Autoboyography is my favorite book from Christina Lauren thus far, and that says a lot considering they are one of my all time favorite authors. I have read several male/male romanAutoboyographyhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S8lb...
"His
Larry H
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Yes, Leo, me, too. All the feels.

I couldn't love Christina Lauren's Autoboyography any more if I tried. As I've said so many times, I am so happy that young adult books like this exist and are readily available in today's world, to help this generation realize that whatever their problem is, they will be able to overcome it, and thrive. But at the same time, I can't help but be perhaps a tad bitter that not one book like this existed when I was growing up, because I sure could've used some encouragement through the
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to destiny ♡⚔♡ by: Jue.
His smile ruins me.

I should have reviewed this when I read it almost a year ago, but now it’s been too long and I don’t remember everything I want to say. 🤷♀ Whoops. A few pros and cons that I remember:

P R O S:
- Tanner’s family is super supportive of his sexuality
- Tanner and Sebastian can be super cute together
- I laughed a lot
- while the book calls out a lot of what is hard about being queer and Mormon, it also features some reasons why people might want to stay in the LDS ch
Claudia Ramírez
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
MY PRECIOUS BABIES. Sebastian, let me adopt you.
emi
3.5/5 stars

"I don’t actually care if you break my heart, Sebastian. I went into this knowing it could happen and I gave it to you anyway. But I don’t want you to break your own. You have so much space in your heart for your church, but does it have space for you?"

Let's just start this review with a disclosure, shall we?

A main theme of this book is the Mormon/LDS religion. Now I am a very proud, tapir-loving exmormon, meaning I was raised and baptized in the LDS church before realizing that the venn dstars
"I
shady boots | #WatchPOSE
I'M GAY I'M GAY I'M GAY I'M GAAAAAAAAAAY

Man, it always feels good to say it out loud. Though I have to remain closeted in my real life for my own safety and well-being, thank god for the internet. I can be as unabashedly, unequivocally and unapologetically gay as I want and it's such a liberating thing.

I guess that's why I harbored a lot of envy towards Tanner and also related very much to Sebastian. Here is Tanner; a bisexual boy who has very liberal,
Whitney Atkinson

This is my first time reading Christina Lauren's YA works, and I loved it. It captures the perfect balance of funny yet meaningful writing and dialogue and character traits, which I really enjoyed. But what shines through in this book, for me, is the discussion of religion and homophobia, especially the denial, guilt, and shame that comes with being non-straight in a community of bible thumpers. Living in Texas, I understood Sebastian's predicament almost painfully, and so s
Riley
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bisexual, lgbtq
i have a lot of feelings about this book right now.
Natasha Polis
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS SO MUCH! I listened to the audiobook and was blown away. I love that love and religion were played against each other for a modern high stakes romance yet not demonizing either side. So happy I read this!
Warda
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-reads
I wanted tears and I wanted laughter and I got them.

This book was intense to read. Not only because of the connection Sebastian and Tanner formed but to also read of the struggle one goes through when the people that are supposed to love you the most, love you unconditionally, don’t. It was suffocating to read at times, and I felt the claustrophobic air that comes with having to hide a huge part of your identity from the people that you care about. But mostly the damage you do to yourself when
Sana
having batman run me over in his bat mobile would hurt less. oh my god. 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

this book was fluffy but it was also so sad, I DIDN'T ACTUALLY EXPECT TO HAVE MY SOUL CRUSHED WHAT THE FUCK. but thank you Christina Lauren for crushing it anyways.

no review, goodnight. i am tears.

------
i want this book to crush me, thanks.

also, this cover's so pretty. i want to eat it.
jessica
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘i think a god worthy of your eternal love wouldnt judge you for who you love while youre here.’

i know quotes can sometimes make for lazy reviews, but i kept coming back to this again and again.

i generally tend to shy away from books where religion is a main plot device because i feel like it is a very personal and individualistic matter. but i was always seeing so many good things about this book, so i decided to give it a try. and i dont regret it.

i dont really have much to
BernLuvsBooks (Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas)
Oh, Christina Lauren - how do you repeatedly capture my heart in such a vise grip? Tanner and Sebastian - so sweet, so cute, so heartbreaking, so angsty & thought-provoking. How could I not fall in love with their love story? This book gave me all the feels.

Tanner is a bi-sexual high school senior living in Mormon Utah. Due to the environment, he is "in the closet" to everyone, except his immediate family. When his best friend, Autumn, convinces him to take The Seminar during their last semester
Judith
4.5

I'm just a bisexual half-Jewish kid who's falling in love with an LDS guy

More pics,

(view spoiler)

A dare that would change two young lives forever...

Reading Tanner and Sebastian's story was special,truly special.I devoured this in less than 24hours.It's a beautifully told YA love story....not always pretty as they face prejudices and the expectations of religion and family.

Tanner and his family moved to Utah three years ago.While his parents arefamily.
spoiler)]

A4.5
Christy
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars!!!

“description"/

Autoboyography is a great coming of age/YA story. This was much different than what I’m used to when I pick up a Christina Lauren novel, but I was pleasantly surprised with how well written it was!

Tanner is a high-school senior who is half-jewish and bisexual. He lives in the mormon capital of the US. Tanner takes a writing class his last year of school and Sebastian, who previously graduated is helping out. Tanner and Sebastian have an instant connection and it goes beyond anything either one of
Joce (squibblesreads)
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
FULL VIDEO REVIEW AT THIS LINK!
I’m SCREAMING. I’m destroyed. Granted, I have a major weak spot and see through rose colored glasses because of my personal history when I read books that involve romance + writing but omg.
may ➹
SOMEONE HOLD ME LOVE IS TRUE LOVE IS REAL AND I’LL NEVER ACHIEVE LOVE LIKE THE LOVE TANNER AND SEBASTIAN HAVE FOR EACH OTHER\

I just... god. this book is, objectively speaking, not perfect. it has flaws, and it even has insta-love, which if you know me is one of my most hated book tropes ever. but oh my GOD the way it was written kept me so engaged and I was so invested in this story that I literally didn’t realize it was insta-love halfway through???? (though I’m not sure I would’ve been
Kai
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer

This. Right there. I’m not a believer, really, but that might mostly be because I grew up in a society that worshipped a God who only loved conditionally. And to this day it’s the reason why religion is a red flag for me, especially as a gay person. You cannot preach love and give hate. You cannot preach freedom and deny it to others. And yet, they all do it.

My expectations were mile high. Th
YA Buddy Readers'...: Autoboyography by Christina Lauren - Restarting August 25th 2019 45 97 Sep 05, 2019 07:31PM
Other Christina Lauren books 2 6 Jul 25, 2019 04:33PM
Queer Book Review: Autoboyography 2 8 Apr 30, 2019 07:23AM
101 Books To Read: Autoboygraphie, Christina Lauren 6 124 Apr 08, 2019 12:33PM
LGBTQIAP+ YA Book...: BOTM - August 1 4 Aug 07, 2018 06:33AM
YA LGBT Books: * January 2018 BotM - Autoboyography (poss spoilers) 30 148 Jun 19, 2018 12:36PM

• Red, White & Royal Blue
  • What If It's Us
  • I Wish You All the Best
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • The Music of What Happens
  • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • Radio Silence
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue (Montague Siblings, #1)
  • Leah on the Offbeat (Creekwood, #2)
  • They Both Die at the End
  • Birthday
  • We Contain Multitudes
  • Running With Lions
  • History Is All You Left Me
  • Bloom
  • Carry On (Simon Snow, #1)
  • Her Royal Highness (Royals, #2)
Christina Lauren is the combined pen name of long-time writing partners/besties/soulmates/brain-twins Christina Hobbs and Lauren Billings. The coauthor duo writes both Young Adult and Adult Fiction, and together has produced fourteen New York Times bestselling novels. Their books have been translated into 30+ languages. (Some of these books have kissing. Some of these books have A LOT of kissing.) ...more
“This is how we reveal ourselves: these tiny flashes of discomfort, the reactions we can’t hide.” 130 likes
“His smile ruins me.” 81 likes