Start by marking “The Boys, Volume 2: Get Some” as Want to Read:
The Boys, Volume 2: Get Some

The Boys, Volume 2: Get Some

(The Boys Collected Volumes #2)

The second volume of Garth Ennis and Darick Roberston's acclaimed series The Boys is here! BIGGER! THICKER! UNCUT! (not that Garth would ever allow this gang of idiots to cut anything!) "Get Some" collects issues 7-14 of the critically acclaimed series and is an excellent companion to Dynamite's best-selling Volume I trade "The Name of the Game"! These issues feature the "
Published March 4th 2008 by Dynamite Entertainment (first published March 3rd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Boys, Volume 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boys, Volume 2

Start your review of The Boys, Volume 2: Get Some
mark monday
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comicon
in this second installment, our ragtag band of super-powered types who monitor other super-powered types visit Gay World and then Russia.

here's a story:

so this public figure decides to get some community cred, some faggy version of Up With The People, by doing outreach to the fag community. he's a good-looking guy, so of course all the queers rally around him, and one of the younger homos even falls in love with him. well, we all know about gaydar - but did you know that some gaylords also have
Paul Nelson
Garth Ennis turns the superhero franchise on its head and slaps it where the sun don't shine with The Boys: Get Some the second volume of the series. Get Some contains two stories with the primary characters being Billy Butcher, the leader of this band of superhero bashers and wee Hughie the newest recruit.

The first story sees them investigate the murder of a young gay man and two superheroes come under close scrutiny, Tek-Knight's got a bit of a problem, he's not a legit superhero his costume i
Dave Schaafsma
Well, thanks to Stewart who suggested that this series is ultimately as good as Ennnis’s Preacher, which I liked very much. I had read the first volume of The Boys some time ago, surprised myself in liking it, as it is purposely vulgar and violent: Sex, violence, language. The title is “The Boys,” so that’s maybe a kind of announcement. There’s aspects of that particular kind of “boy culture” in Preacher, too, of course.

Anyway, I reread the first volume last week, and now have read this second
Elizabeth Sagan
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
gosh.
Ill D
May 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Dum(b)-Dum(b)s
Topping one’s most impressive achievements is a perennial woe amongst all artists – no matter their medium. The zenith is reached and at best, things plateau (for the most part) at best and at worst things crater. As a very personal example, I’m always amazed at how much Pink Floyd sucked after The Wall and even more so following, Roger Water’s untimely departure after ‘84.

Going along with this same theme, it’s gotta be tough to follow up to probably one of the best comics of the mid/late 90’s-
L. McCoy
S***… That was disappointing.

What’s it about?
The Boys have some new missions. One is dealing with a person who was murdered and it seems some superhero activity was connected and the other is about them dealing with some Russian crime stuff, should be awesome, right? Well…

Pros:
The Russian crime story was pretty good.
The art is pretty good.
This book stays suspenseful, it is not predictable.
This series has lots of great action.
It is (mostly) hilarious, some jokes were a bit immature (even for me)
Bookwraiths
Dec 05, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: e-books, action
God, what a dull bore fest. I mean, for all it’s negatives, at least Volume 1 of The Boys was interesting at times, especially in its ability to generate disgust for characters and the longing for their quick deaths. Can’t say the same for this insomnia cure. The first story arc was so eventful I can’t even recall it’s main plot, and the second one in Russia was a convoluted mess with so much meaningless dialogue I kept falling asleep trying to read it.

Yeah, I’m going to read the next collectio
Michael
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was actually more of a three-star read for me as the OTT-level of depravity of the graphic novels is still a wee bit outside of my wheelhouse. However, I bumped it up a star just because of the running gag of the "vodka" Hughie was drinking in Russia with Vasilii Vorishikin (aka retired Soviet hero, Love Sausage) evidently was adapted from brake fluid and could negate the effects of poison. I laughed way too much at that. ...more
James DeSantis
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Damn it! WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO BE MY FIRST BOOK OF 2017!!!!

So I guess we end 2016 with a 5 star review (Deadly Class Volume 4) and get to start with this (mostly) pile of shit book.

The first half of this volume isn't terrible. It's actually kind of funny. Got a superhero who basically fucks everything. Something is wrong with him and anything around him will be fucked from hamsters, to coffee cups, to anyone's ass. It's very scary. The story is really revolving around why this poor gay person
Stephen
Feb 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
4.0 stars. This series is NOT for the faint of heart or those easily offended. Dark, brutal, violent and at times disturbing. However, it is also original, well written and superbly plotted. Highly Recommended (with the above caveat).
Deepu Singh
Dec 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good , I'm liking these comics ...more
Ryan Stewart
This is a good example of a comic that puts me off Garth Ennis. Too crude for anyone’s good.
RG
May 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Some good comedic moments but I found the story just pretty slow and boirng. The dialogue was just overly wordy. Two different stories. The first was pretty solid, dealing with a supe who has a crazy sexdrive, and the boys investigate a death. The second takes them to Russia dealing with a Supe. Not sure why but I found this completely different to Vol 1.
Malum
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
I liked the first volume well enough, but it took me forever to get through this one. I think the problem is that the show is just so much more clever than the comic.

In the show, the boys have to attack the supes in other ways than just brute force. They have to attack their public image, for example. I'm the comic, though, they just take some compound V and punch the crap out of them, which just isn't as intriguing.
Patrick
May 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing

Why did I like this series?

First and foremost, it's witty, clever and irreverent. These are things Ennis does well in pretty much all of his work. But in my opinion, those talents shine out particularly brightly here.

(Continued in book three.)
Jim Gorman
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Stewart Tame
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Still enjoying this series a great deal. Two complete stories in this volume. In the first, Tek-Knight, sort of a cross between Iron Man and Batman has a ... unique problem with his sex drive. And there's a possible murder involved as well. It's up to Butcher and Hughie to sort things out. As much fun as the story is, it pales in comparison to the second, in which the team goes to Russia. Part of what makes it sing for me is their Russian contact, Vasilii, a great big joyous bear of a man. Yes, ...more
Alexandra
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
I am still trying to like it, but sometimes the dialogue is too much and there are many jerk heroes here.
Peter Derk
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it
NO GAME OF THRONES SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW!

I just feel like the world is basically one big GoT spoiler right now. But it's hard for me to tell because I've NEVER SEEN IT.

I have a rule: No dragons.

It might be a bit restrictive, but hey, it's worked for me so far.

I saw the one where dragons took over the world or whatever. Dragonworld? Dragontown? Whatever that one was, and it sucked.

I also saw How to Train Your Dragon in 3D. I was there with a child who suggested we trade 3D glasses. Which I di
Dan
Mar 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
Wow. The extreme homophobia, racism, and sexism in this book is making me reconsider reading this series.
And the art actually got WORSE half way through this book, somehow...
Eddie
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: visual, sci-fi
Dark, bloody, sexy and a bit OTT but a lot of fun.
Paz R.M.
Oookay. So, this is the first time I read something that was triggering to me. The first time I was actually stopping to close my eyes, breath, and contemplating on just dnf'ing.
Listen I've read weird shit, I've read shit that has made me feel uncomfortable and sick to my stomach, but I've ended up loving them at the end. The first arc of this volume? Nah, all the homophobic remarks and shitty storyline made me physically uncomfortable. I hated it with a burning passion.
I don't care if after a
Gav451
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
I think that Garth Ennis is a great writer. I thought that, while sailing right on the edge, Preacher was a brilliant piece of work. He has an eye of an epic scene and his dialogue is natural and not full of exposition.

There are a lot of things to like about this volume of The Boys, the mystery in the first half is good and makes for a unique read and a change of pace and focus. The extreme spy story in the second half is different and fun again.

The art is strong throughout with a smattering of
Mike
Feb 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Good job on Ennis, not repeating the plotline from book one (which would've been so easy to do and still fun - but not this much). This gets deeper, more serious and takes us behind the facade to get to know Butcher and his connections.

There's a sense of disappointment I can't quite shake tho - after the first book blew my mind, this feels a bit of a letdown. Like as if not every page from here on out will make me pee my pants with how much Ennis hates supes - which I guess he doesn't - but man
Otherwyrld
Volume 2 of the series is pretty much a couple of cases of the week stories, one set in the gay superhero world and one in Russia. There is some tangential relevance to the main story-line but on the whole this could be read on it's own. I would like to say that I enjoyed these stories, but they were messy and over-complicated on the whole.

The author is still doing his best to shock his audience with the number of potentially offensive references he can fit in about gay people, women and sex in
Jason
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
Brilliant stuff again. Graphics are great and the story is top class.

Wee Hughie is starting to adapt to life with the boys and as usual has all the best scenes, like taking a dump on the floor of the Tek Warrior's secret base.

The epilogue was one of the most bizarre I've read, you gotta see it to believe it.
Doyle
Dec 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
If you've read one Ennis story you've read them all. ...more
Steven
Let's be honest here. I am much more of a fan of European writers than American writers, both in style, stories, characters and themes. American writers I've noticed over the years tend to have a very idealistic approach to writing. Their characters are squeaky clean, often times imbued with strong ideals and morals. The villains tend to be very cut and dry in terms of characterisation. The stories are oftentimes predictable and the endings oftentimes saccharine to the point of giving me diabete ...more
Suzy | Gone Readin’
'The Boys' is a comic series that isn't for the faint-hearted. It's controversial and crosses all known lines of common decency at points, but it has its moments of brilliance too.

This volume (collecting Issues 7 - 14) swung from the ridiculous to the puerile and back again. The calling card of this series is its overt brutality, but it also has a dark, tongue-in-cheek (and sometimes, totally boyish) sense of humour in its arsenal. Fair to say that there were points when I wondered if a teenage
Jordan Anderson
I enjoyed the first volume of The Boys. It was different, had just the right about humor, gore, and satire, and was mostly enjoyable enough to get a 4 star rating from me.

The 2 volume though...?

“Get Some” does have many of the same things that made “The Name of the Game” a decent read, but it’s kind of old by this point to be honest. I don’t know how many times Ennis dropped the c-word, or made some reference to gay anal sex but after about the 40th time, it lost its shock value and “humor”.

Th

• Doom Patrol, Vol. 1: Crawling from the Wreckage
  • Irredeemable, Vol. 7
  • The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 3: Hotel Oblivion
  • Irredeemable, Vol. 8
  • Night of the Living Deadpool (The Living Deadpool, #1)
  • Jack of Fables, Vol. 7: The New Adventures of Jack and Jack
  • Irredeemable, Vol. 4
  • Irredeemable, Vol. 9
  • Jennifer Blood, Volume Three: Neither Tarnished Nor Afraid
  • Invincible, Vol. 13: Growing Pains
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 4: Keys to the Kingdom
  • Jack of Fables, Vol. 8: The Fulminate Blade
Ennis began his comic-writing career in 1989 with the series Troubled Souls. Appearing in the short-lived but critically-acclaimed British anthology Crisis and illustrated by McCrea, it told the story of a young, apolitical Protestant man caught up by fate in the violence of the Irish 'Troubles'. It spawned a sequel, For a Few Troubles More, a broad Belfast-based comedy featuring two supporting ch ...more

The Boys Collected Volumes (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Boys, Volume 1: The Name of the Game