Start by marking “The Patchwork Cat” as Want to Read:
The Patchwork Cat

The Patchwork Cat

4.41  ·  Rating details ·  152 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Tabby sets out to retrieve her beloved patchwork quilt.
Published May 20th 1993 by Red Fox (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Patchwork Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Patchwork Cat

littlemiao
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a charming story of one kitty's adventure to rescue her favorite blankie. The drawings are detailed but not so much that it overbalances the simple elegance of the stripey protagonist. The language is simple and direct. Kittens of all reading levels should be able to follow along, and perhaps add their own embellishments and sound effects during the action scenes. This book is sure to appeal to anykitty with a favorite blankie, but be warned that the story may be too intense for some anx ...more
GeraniumCat
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Exquisite illustrations by Nicola Bayley accompany a charming story about a cat who sets out to rescue her favourite blanket when it gets thrown away. My now grown-up son tells me that it's really quite frightening for small children, despite the happy ending!
l.
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was mistaken. *This* book is the important cat literature or the day. The patchwork cat should have been a calico though.
Sarah Coles
A sweet story about a cat that ends up far from home in search of her beloved patchwork quilt. Not as good as I remember when I first read it, but it does have a nice poetic rhythm to it and some rich vocabulary.
David Byers
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this as a child, still have my copy though it’s dog-eared and drawn over with childish folly. Still one of my favourites, keep it at my bedside.
Hiba Yuki
The language in this book is really interesting. It's a different style of writing.
Octavia Cade
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Charming little story; the illustrations are fabulous. The cat's continuing love for the milkman (cupboard love right there) is hilarious, but I expect if I lived with a family who thought it was better to chuck my beloved blanket instead of just washing the thing, I'd be looking outside the house for a favourite human too.
Maria
May 24, 2008 rated it liked it
2.5 stars really. I love the cover, all earth tones. The writing voice is patronizing (reminiscent of the box-car children books if I am remembering correctly, but I used to really like that kind-of tone) but there is something I like about the art. It is very detailed, almost photo-realistic. Plus the quilt that the cat drags around looks a lot like one of my childhood quilts. The pictures on the left hand pages are small, in black and white and are under the text. The ones on the right are ovu ...more
Rhonda
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A sweet little picture book by English author William Mayne who gave us the wonderful Hob books. Filled with Mayne's delightful word twists, Patchwork Cat tells of Tabby who hunts far and wide for her beloved quilt. As always, Nicola Bayley brings the story to life with her enchanting illustrations.
ABC
Aug 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids
Shelves: younger-kids
I was pleasantly suprised by this book! I give it four and a half stars. It is about a cat who rescues his beloved patchwork quilt from the dump and then finds his way back home. We read the British version which used the word "bitch" lol (for female dog). I'd be interested to see whether the American version is the same.
Lisa
May 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kitty, childrens, reviewed
I found this book while on holidays and went "ooh, children's book staring a cat, I'll read this and it'll be cute". Despite the happy ending, this was - for me, cat-lover supreme - an incredibly traumatic read. Given that it almost reduced me to tears, I do not recommend this for young children.

The pictures, however, are very cute.
Elspeth Hall
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful tale of true love. but not between the cat and her owners Oh no. between the cat and her blanket. A delightful tale told from the cats point of view about what happens when her owners try to throw away the beloved blanket.
Robyn
Apr 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
this was one of my favorite books when i was little. Digging through an old box of my books from when I was a little girl, I found this book, re-read it and my husband exclaimed "that cat looks just like Champ!!" he's right. so weird. acts like champ too.
Marineke
The illustrations are very beautiful; but I didn't think the story was very well written.
Joan
Jun 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: preschoolers with a love of cats or security blankets
Recommended to Joan by: June Krell
Shelves: animals, cats, j-books
June is right. This is a cute little book. Tabby loves her quilt and isn't about to let it be thrown away. Even if she ends up in a trash can, then a garbage truck, then the dumpyard.
Ang from OZ
Oct 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books as a child, I still have this book today. "Good Morning, Good Yawning" I hope to someday pass this book onto my children.
Polly
Wonderful book, although the dump parts still make me shiver.
Timalee Guetterman
cute story, nice illustrations, but I did not care for the tone or the way the story was written.
Edith
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Makes me cry even now I'm kinda grown up.
Mckinley
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cat, picture, adventure
Crazy adventure for a cat!
June
Jun 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: animal and cat lovers
Recommended to June by: Polly
Shelves: picture-book, cat
A sweet story about Tabby, a cat, who is attached to her quilt. The family decides to get rid of the quilt, but Tabby goes looking for it.
Hannah
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful book about cats! Loved it as a child and have reread it recently.
Anne
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book made me cry.
Ryan Monk
When Bang and crash and black and thick and dark
Lesley Arrowsmith
Oct 25, 2016
Ellen Pilch
Feb 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
William Mayne was a British writer of children's fiction. Born in Hull, he was educated at the choir school attached to Canterbury Cathedral and his memories of that time contributed to his early books. He lived most of his life in North Yorkshire.

He was described as one of the outstanding children's authors of the 20th Century by the Oxford Companion to Children's Literature, and won the Carnegie
More about William Mayne