Start by marking “Towers of Brierley” as Want to Read:
Towers of Brierley

Towers of Brierley (Shadows of Brierley 0.5)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  2,227 Ratings  ·  158 Reviews

Set in eighteenth century Scotland, this fast paced historical romance sweeps the reader into a world of suspense, intrigue, murder, vengeance, and a love strong enough to conquer Brierley and all it stands for.

Haunted by secrets and questions about his birth, Gavin leaves Brierley, returning years later to confront the lies of the past.

To Anya Ross, Brierley is like the

Published May 3rd 2000 by Covenant Communications (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Towers of Brierley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Towers of Brierley

Valerie
Jun 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love this book; the setting, the time period, the suspense and the twists in the plot. I was glued to it when I first read it and I have loved re-reading it since then.
Rebecca
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: religious, fiction
Ahh, nothing like taking a walk down Memory Lane. This book was an old favorite, and I randomly got the urge to reread it once again.

Wow. I was overwhelmed by ananchronisms, inaccuracies, factual errors, awkward writing, and flat characters. This was supposed to be set, according to the back of the book, in 18th century Scotland.

18th century, remember, means 1700-1799 A.D.

Then why is there a white wedding dress? "White became a popular option in 1840." (Wikipedia)

Where did Gavin buy the shampoo
Bonnie
Sep 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
This would have to be one of my favorite LDS romances because its talks about healing, forgiveness and that no matter your circumstance that we are all God's children who loves us and wants us to find true happiness.
Rachel
Dec 13, 2007 rated it did not like it
TOTALLY LAME! Not even worth reading. I couldn't believe this was an Anita Stansfield book. I wonder if it might not be one of her first, before she began writing well?
Rachel
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it
The best word I can think of to describe this book would be "interesting." It takes place in 18th century Scotland where our two main characters, Anya and Gavin, are haunted by painful and unknown pasts. When certain events bring them together, they both not only learn to come to terms with their pasts, but that only they have the power to shape their future.

Plot/Story: this book definitely had some mature elements in it; I wouldn't recommend it for your young teenager. Fortunately nothing too
Kristen Nelson
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bbbc
A book of love and intrigue. Anya and Gavin have had their lives oppressed by the towers of Brierley - their home in early-1800's Scotland. Gavin has been given a chance at freedom and has tried to put his past behind him, but when he returned to Brierley after a ten-year absence, he finds his life in grave danger. Anya is a lowly servant living a punishing life in a Cinderella story; the great-niece of the wonderful, but murdered Earl of Brierley. She is sent to rescue Gavin and they eventually ...more
06madisonj
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Towers of Brierley was a great book and I may just have to read it again.
Anya is a young woman who is a scullery maid at Brierly. One day after a long stressful night she walks around the towers to the one with door that is always locked. She knows it'll be locked but just to see she pushes and amazingly it opens. Inside is all dusty and it makes her wonder. She starts to think about the night before and she ends up in tears. In this tower is where she meats Gavin for the first time. At firs
Karin
Mar 29, 2011 rated it liked it
The summer that Dave and I lived at Oakridge at USU and just started dating, he used to tease me about my Anita Stansfield books, saying he found them under my pillow with tear drops on each page. It cracked me up. Ahhh, the Logan memories! I miss those days :)

I've only read a couple of hers since we got married, but I always like them. I enjoyed this one, especially after finishing the Hunger Games series--I needed something light and romantic after that world of drudgery, ha ha. This was a fun
Julie
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: eng-420
Audio book, romance.

I am not someone who likes to listen to audio books as a general rule. There are obviously a few exceptions and this was one of them. The female narrator was neither annoying nor too over the top, and handled the scotland accent well.

Anya is a scullery maid at the huge house of Brierley-- even though she is a second cousin to the late master of the house. But, after his death, villain Una and her daughter take over the estate, and the master's one son is both cowardly, cruel,
Chatharina
Feb 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-bookshelf
Anita Stansfield was recommended to me by a friend and I enjoyed this book enough that I would recommend it to others if their tastes for books are consistent with the genre Covenant publishes.
There were good things and less than good things about this book. Starting with the less than good: the dialogue between the main characters and the common folk nearly drove me up the wall. Accents are best done in movies. There were too many social issues that needed to be addressed, I think the story cou
Tosha
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
I LOVE Scotland historical fiction books. This isn't THAT. At 46% the story came to a happy ending, yet it just kept going. More secrets came out and the story wrapped all loose ends up, but the dialog between the characters just dragged on, and was super wordy. It was a clean read.

I just purchased Anita Stansfield's newest release for my 15 year old. She got to the 3rd chapter and couldn't go on. She said it was just do descriptive. She gave it to her 16 year old friend who made it to the 5th c
Melissa
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Jennifer and Kristy
I absolutely loved this book. I saw it at a friends house the other day and decided I want to read it again. This book is set in the Scottish Highlands back in the time of Kings and Queens, and Lords and Ladies. It is the story of a poor scottish couple who meet under unlikely circumstances, both with their own past issues, and their struggle to deal with their past while staying together and more importantly to accept what their future holds. I can't do it justice, I just highly suggest you rea ...more
Camilla
Jul 06, 2010 rated it did not like it
Sorry Andie....but I didn't love it. The pace of the plot was great -- it certainly kept me interested, which is why I gave a good review of it earlier. And I was really hoping she'd redeem herself by the end concerning her characters...but she just didn't convince me that her characters were REAL breathing beings. There was so much potential, but I just kind of gritted my teeth when the characters acted "accordingly to script" instead of offering a genuine, human reaction.
This is a book I woul
Alexia
Apr 14, 2008 rated it it was ok
I finished the book and again, I liked it. It was fairly well written although I wish there had been more character development. Also, I hate it when a story wraps up really fast, and there are details left out that would make the transition a little more smooth, especially when something unexpected occurs. She did not do that here, the ending came on sort of swift, and it left me a little... wanting. Over all it was a good story though, good people with a touch of religion. She did not over do ...more
Melanie
May 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Ugh--I had a hard time with this book, but felt compelled to finish. I am giving it 2 stars instead of 1 because the plot did keep me reading. The story was intriguing, but the characters were so sappy, cheesy, and always delving into all their emotional "issues". It became very tiresome for me! The story had such potential, but as it unfolded I was increasingly dissapointed. It was all just too convenient. I would not recommend this book.
Jami
Aug 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
**Spoiler Alert**

It was pretty good. I like period novels which is why I was drawn to this one. I liked the mystery of who Gavin was during the entire book although figured out he was Margaret's son half way through. The only qualm I have with the book is the main female character of Anya was always crying about something. But, honestly, that is typical Stansfield. I guess you take it with a grain of salt. But, overall I enjoyed it.
Megan Swanson
Oct 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The only other Anita Stansfield I've read was Where the Heart Leads. This book reminded me so much of Alene Roberts. There would be a spot where I would think it could be resolved and have everything come out into the open, but it would continue on, into things I wouldn't have thought about, but clearly needed to happen based on the earlier sequence of events. Everything was cleared up in the end though, and I loved it. Peg is especially hilarious. I love all of her comments about oatmeal.
Tianna
Oct 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Cheesy LDS romance. If you like that type of novel, this is a good book for you, but I wouldn't recommend it if you don't. Well, cheesy romance, anyway. It's not specifically LDS. It's set in Scotland and the servants speak in an accent, so sometimes you have to think about what is being said. It has a tinge of mystery to it as well. It is a good book about falling in love and learning to trust the other person with all of your secrets and to love unconditionally.
The Sweet Bookshelf
Nov 17, 2009 rated it liked it
I love Anita Stansfield and have been an avid fan for years. I have loved ALL of her novels. But "Towers of Brierley" was not up to par. I liked it, but it lacked the details and backbone that most of her novels possess. It was predictable and too short. Everything happened too fast making it unbelievable! Adding more meat to the story would have made it more enjoyable. Bottom line: not her best, but good if you want to sit down and read a typical romance novel.
Casey
Jun 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, fiction
Liked the story but found it a little too sappy for my tastes and didn't like how everything tied up so nicely in the end. I LOVE happy endings, but not when everything seems way too convenient. I also started to get a little annoyed with Anya at times because of how emotional she was. One good thing about reading it though, was that it showed me how pathetic I probably am sometimes and has encouraged me to change! :)
Evelyn Sheehan
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have been wanting to start this series for some time, and I am thrilled that it has lived up to my expectations! I could not put it down! I loved the plot twists, and the mystery throughout, as well as the relationships between the characters. I wish I hadn't waited so long to get started on this series. I can't wait to read the next one!
Andie
Jul 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I think this is my favorite of all the Anita Stansfield books that I have read. It may be because it was the first one that I ever read, or the fact that I grew really attached to the characters very quickly. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone that enjoys fairly clean romance/historical fiction books.
Sariah
Jan 23, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: these-books-blow
Ick this was horrible. Just a tamed down version of a pathetic Harlequin Romance. So awful. This was my first Anita Stansfield book, and probably my last. Improbable situations, terrible dialogue, unrealistic and highly romanticized "love". No wonder so many marriages end in divorce if women think this is what love is supposed to be like. Puke. I actually threw this book away.
Leah
Nov 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
In high school I went through a romance phase and have always LOVED the story of romance. I wasn't a fan of all the descriptive sex, so I stopped reading them. I heard about anita a couple months ago and determined to try out one of her books. I've never read Christian romance before. I really liked it. Really. A good, fun, get lost in easy read.
Sandra
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Every book of Anita Stansfield is exceptional! The author has a way of connecting you to the charcters and pulling you into the story as if you are personally there.

I will continue to read her books as long as she continues to write, and probably read the over and over again. It's like visiting an old friend!

Annalise
Mar 09, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009
A book group friend recommended that I try some other Anita Stansfield books after not liking "Emma." This one still felt too trite and soap-opera-ish to me, though there were some good romantic parts.
Catherine Shipp
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I think I mostly gave this 5 stars because it was an entertaining and compelling love story without being graphic in any way. I can appreciate a good love story when the moods strikes, and this one is enchanting.
Raysha
Feb 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love most Anita Stansfield's books. Some are a little over the top on the drama but fun and good when you need to get some tears out. This one was such a fun read. Takes you back to another time and place.
Deborah
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is the first novel I ever read and it is the reason I found my love for books. It doesn't preach at you like a lot of LDS written novels. The story is wonderful and the writting is perfect.
Emily
May 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I like seeing authors take on difficult topics with a hopeful tone, but sometimes the resolutions felt a little too easy in this case, or maybe it was because a lot of the romance novel tropes seeped in and made it not feel very real to me. Not bad, but not as fresh as it could have been.
  • Some Sweet Day
  • Winter Fire
  • Emeralds and Espionage (Gems and Espionage, #1)
  • Love Beyond Time
Anita Stansfield, the LDS market's #1 best-selling romance novelist, is an imaginative and prolific writer whose romantic stories have captivated her readers.
"With sales approaching a half million, Anita Stansfield has clearly found a niche in this market," said Nicole Martin, Publicist for Covenant Communications. "Her popularity stems from her ability to empathize with and write about the issues
More about Anita Stansfield...

Shadows of Brierley (6 books)
  • The Wanderer (Shadows of Brierley, #1)
  • A Far Horizon (Shadows of Brierley, #2)
  • A Distant Shore (Shadows of Brierley, #3)
  • In the Valley of the Mountains