Start by marking “Invincible Warrior” as Want to Read:
Invincible Warrior

Invincible Warrior

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  50 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Morihei Ueshiba (1883-1969) was a visionary whose quest for the true meaning of warriorship led to the creation of the martial art called Aikido, "The Art of Peace." Morihei is considered one of the greatest martial artists in history. His ability to disarm any attacker, throw a dozen men simultaneously, and down and pin opponents without even touching them has accorded hi ...more
Published September 30th 1997 by Shambhala (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Invincible Warrior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invincible Warrior

Stephen
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a very interesting book on O-Sensei. I enjoyed how the author spent the first 70+ pages going through his life and the influences that helped shape him and THEN showed the pictorial history. It was well thought out and planned.
Pupsi
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not a great read.
Matt
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've read several books on Aikido, and each inevitably has some of the notable O'Sensei stories peppered into the introduction at least. I enjoyed this biography as it fills in many of the details surrounding those stories: the nearly quixotic adventure through politically tense China/Mongolia, duels with a who's who list of martial artists of the dynamic time he lived in, and his relationships with several influential personalities such as Deguchi and Takeda. I have short patience for works tha ...more
Brian
Apr 04, 2009 rated it it was ok
Meh.

I've read a couple biographies of O'Sensei now and I'm always left feeling very unfulfilled. I guess what I want to know is the HOW: how did he take his training in various other, older martial arts--jujitsu, sword and swear fighting, etc.--and form the art known as aikido?

My instructor tells me that I'm kind of thinking about it all wrong. Westerners generally expect that since Ueshiba was the "inventor" of aikido it was a finished product which he taught and gave the world. It's really not
lmjohns3
Mar 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
A biography that's 2/3 pictures starts me off in the skeptic camp. The merit of the book lies in its subject, a fascinating person who inadvertently started a school of martial arts and lived enlightened in the modern era. The myth behind Ueshiba's life is presented here, perhaps braided with fact, being written by a Buddhist scholar and published by Shambhala. All the same, I really wish that I'd been able to see the man himself; he sounds amazing.
Ed Nemo
Feb 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biograghy
John Stevens, who I must admit has written many great Aikido books, outdoes himself with this book. With a feeling of actual fondness, Stevens seems to capture Founder Morihei's human side without in any way diminishing his almost supernatural presence. This is a must read for any follower of the art.
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
I didn't like the layout of the book, how it was divied into chapters, and that all the pictures were at the end. It was informative I just think it could have been displayed and organized in a better way.
Nicholas Hunter
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
The definitive biography of the founder of Aikido.
David
Mar 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: aikidoa
This is the best book on O'Sensei.
Clint
Chris
Feb 29, 2012
Juan
Apr 01, 2008

John Stevens (1947- ) is a Buddhist priest and Aikido teacher.
More about John Stevens