Start by marking “The Narnia Cookbook: Foods from C. S. Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia” as Want to Read:
The Narnia Cookbook: Foods from C. S. Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia

The Narnia Cookbook: Foods from C. S. Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  100 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Find out what was in the irresistible Turkish Delight that Edmund found so tempting. Discover how Mr. Tumnus prepared the sugar-topped cake that Lucy found so scrumptious.

The Narnia Cookbook is a celebration of the many wonderful dishes described in C. S. Lewis's beloved The Chronicles of Narnia. From chestnut stuffing to Lucy's roast apples, this book is brimming with wo
Published September 25th 1998 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Narnia Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Narnia Cookbook

karen
Nov 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: eats
i used this book as part of this project i did: https://www.thereadingroom.com/articl...

to make turkish delight!

photo IMG_1245_zpsdb0duihp.jpg

photo IMG_1246_zpssmufatz0.jpg

and while i don't really like the taste of turkish delight, i mailed this to someone who does, and she loved it, so i call success on this book!

i feel a little tricksy adding this to my "read" for the year, since i really only used this one recipe, but i definitely paged through it multiple times during the project's planning stages, and since there are very few cookbooks i have ma
Helena
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food, nonfiction
Written by C.S. Lewis's stepson, so it's more than just a cookbook. And the recipes I tried from it were delicious, even Scotch eggs, which I was convinced I wouldn't like but my husband wanted to try. Didn't make the Turkish delight because it's the wrong weather for it, but I think I'll have to get my own copy of this so I can try more recipes when it's cooler and drier.
Terri Lynn
Nov 25, 2014 rated it liked it
This is fun if you have read the Narnia series or just if you want to try something new. My favorite recipes are Hot Tea, Sugar Top Cake with Sugar Cake Frosting, Chocolate Covered Hazelnuts, Steamed Pudding, Ginger Fig Pudding, Tea Cakes with Lemon Curd filling, Toffee, Turkish Delight, Hot Chocolate, Strawberry Sherbet, and Pineapple Sherbet.
Trace
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Luke and I loved this book. We made Turkish Delight, Buttered Eggs, Meat Pasties... and have several more recipes bookmarked to make.

A delightful book for Narnian fans...
Cynthia
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun combo cookbook and literary read.
Rachel
Dec 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, kids
The Narnia Cookbook is a collection of recipes for dishes served in the Chronicles of Narnia series by C. S. Lewis. There are two parts to this book, the first is the recipes themselves, second the descriptions of each written by Douglas Gresham.
As far as the recipes go I didn't find anything really exciting. For the most part they are fairly traditional fare that I already know how to make such as scrambled eggs or roasted potatoes. A few others, such as Eel Stew, I just have no interest is mak
Tara
May 24, 2008 marked it as to-read
Shelves: cookbook
I meant to buy this when it was in stores for around $15. I put it off, it went out of print and I haven't been able to find a copy for less than $125. I've recently placed a hold on the one copy in the Cleveland library system, so I should have a chance to try out some of the recipes soon. I've been hoping the new Narnia movies would inspire a reprint.
Meadow Frisbie
Sep 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, narnia
Fun! the illistration were great and the exerpts from the book was smart. I am planning a Narnia party for the release of Voyage of the Dawn Treader and am planning to make several of these dishes to serve.
Johanna
There are a few interesting recipes, but most are awfully run of the mill. The author (who was C.S. Lewis' stepson) sprinkles in some nice anecdotes and connections to the Narnia stories between recipes.
Sherri
May 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
Neat! Doable recipes. References to the story and quotes from the the books.
Rima
Oct 05, 2008 rated it liked it
This is a fun companion to the Narnia series, especially if you like food. The descriptions and the illustrations are cute, though I'm not sure that the recipes are any good.
Olivia
Shelves: feasts
Some of the most savory recipes. A real Narnia-fanatics dream! :D
Michele
Oct 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I want to buy this book. Too bad it is out of print! The sale price for used copies on websites like Amazon.com, Barns and Noble, and Ebay are outragous.
Shannon
Mar 03, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I'm all for themed meals, but these just seemed to be standard meat-and-potatoes recipes with ULTRA COMPLICATED directions. And maybe that was the point. But I won't make anything from this.
Brooklyn Tayla
The recipes were cute enough, but the author could've done better expanding on the Narnian lore.
Rachel Harban
Dec 11, 2016
Stargate DHD
Dec 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Secret Garden Cookbook: Recipes Inspired by Frances Hodgson Burnett's The Secret Garden
  • Anne of Green Gables Cookbook
  • The Winnie-the-Pooh Cookbook
  • Green Eggs and Ham Cookbook
  • Fairy Tale Feasts: A Literary Cookbook for Young Readers and Eaters
  • Roald Dahl's Even More Revolting Recipes
  • The Redwall Cookbook
  • The Nancy Drew Cookbook: Clues to Good Cooking (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #0)
  • A Family Guide to Narnia: Biblical Truths in C.S. Lewis's the Chronicles of Narnia
  • Inside Narnia: A Guide to Exploring The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
  • Cherry Cake and Ginger Beer: A Golden Treasury of Classic Treats
  • Everything Alice: The Wonderland Book of Makes and Bakes
  • The Unofficial Narnia Cookbook: From Turkish Delight to Gooseberry Fool-Over 150 Recipes Inspired by The Chronicles of Narnia
  • The Alice in Wonderland Cookbook: A Culinary Diversion
  • The Jane Austen Cookbook
  • Wisdom of Narnia
  • Star Trek Cookbook
  • The Land of Narnia
Gresham was the son of writers William Lindsay Gresham and Joy Davidman. After his parents' divorce in 1954, he relocated to England with his mother and elder brother. Joy later married author C.S. Lewis, whom adopted Joy's two sons.
More about Douglas Gresham

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99